• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
tlou2.
while the storytelling didn't live up to my expectations, it is still one of the greatest efforts pushing the envelope in video games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 closely followed by Half Life Alyx. But while Alyx was an almost surreal experience thanks to VR, TLOU2 had more emotional impact and deeper gameplay mechanics and it was way longer. But both are among the best games ever made.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played anything released this year except FF7 Remake, but it's pretty damn good.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Nioh 2. Surpassed the original in every way and I already thought that game was one of my favorites of all time.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
1. The Last of Us Pt. 2 (by a mile)
2. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
3. Nioh 2/Animal Crossing

Everything else I played from this year failed to leave a lasting impression, really enjoyed catching up on Ace Combat 7 and Valfaris though. Still really need to play Huntdown and Desperados 3.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Persona_5_Royal_Only_Good_Villain_Gaming_Instincts_tv_website_article_youtube_thumbnail.png

Only about half (?) way done through my first playthrough of the game, ever... and yeah, this is something truly special.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is giving me an existential crisis but Last of Us 2 and FF7R are fighting for that top spot

Last of us 2 currently beating it though, masterpiece game

elknoir

Oct 28, 2017
Although I'm not a huge fan of some of the story choices and it's a bit self-indulgent... TLOU2 by far. Nothing else even comes close.

However my personal GOTY is the Outer Worlds (but it doesn't count since it's from 2019)

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
TLOU2 by a country mile. FF7 remake is a distant second- the characters are so endearing, but there is something slightly off about the dialogue for me.

Dec 14, 2017
One Step From Eden. I normally don't like run-based games, or deck building games, and i have played maybe 40 minutes of a Megaman Battlenetwork game in the past at a friends house... but something about this really clicked for me and it's sort of my 'i kind of like rogue-lites' now moment.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
FF7R by alot, I really haven't been too impressed by anything else.

I've only played a bit of TLOU2 but I dont see it eclipsing #1.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
HUNTDOWN

It's an insanely well made retro-style, side-scrolling, action shooter with a cyberpunk aesthetic and incredible pixel art!

I haven't finished The Last of Us 2 yet, though.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us Part II

Persona 5 Royal is a close second for me as well. Incredible game.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I guess Nioh 2, although it's not without its own fair share of issues. It was a toss up between it and TLOU 2, which is easily the best looking console game of this year, if not this gen. It's a really good game, but also very flawed too in its own way. Aside from those two, I guess I mostly enjoyed FF7R, although the pacing problems it has really dragged down the entire affair for me. It was much better on a replay where I skipped every cutscene. RE3 was fine, but mostly forgettable and that's pretty much my year so far, other than just replaying Monster Hunter World.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake so far

TLOU2 may be a better video game but FF7 is the type of game that just made me happy when playing it

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Doom Eternal, easily. The most exhilarating experience from start to finish, loved it.

But regarding the more obvious choice for many: I'm only 10 hours in to TLoU2, but feels like a chore so far compared to the first game and I'm just not really feeling it yet. Just too much talking and walking slowly for me. The polar opposite of Doom Eternal I guess. It's clearly a great game but just not really for me, but I've started so I'll finish. Looks beautiful though and the sound design is sublime.

Also should mention Ori which I enjoyed, but also preferred the first game.

And I did a LTTP with Undertale which is a fucking glorious game and would be my GOTY so far if it qualified.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PC Engine Mini came out this year, and it has Soldier Blade, so Soldier Blade definitely counts as GotY 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Doom Eternal so far, but I haven't finished TLoU2 or FF7R yet. Though I doubt the latter will surpass it. I'd be surprised if my GOTY wasn't Cyberpunk though.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
The Last of Us 2
Final Fantasy 7 Remake

this are the two that blew me away so far this year. Really looking forward to finally playing xenoblade chronicles tho

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I guess Paladins. I know it's not a 2020 game but I just started playing this year. Other than that I haven't bought all that much since none of the new releases have really been appealing to me.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 and FF7R are wrestling with each other. I'm only an estimated 20% through the former, and have much more in the post-game to do for the latter.

The game I know I will have spent the most time on though, by a fucking landslide, will be World of Warcraft, as it is every year. If you only counted my enthusiasm, energy and time investment in 2020 with its forthcoming expansion, Shadowlands, which is probably going to release in November or December, that alone would dwarf anything else. I'm REALLY looking forward to it and will sink hundreds of hours in without a doubt.