• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The only game or closest to a game I played that came out in 2020 was...

FFVII Remake via its demo

So that gets my vote.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I barely played anything this year and Tokyo Mirage Sessions was great but it's not Xenoblade so Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edtion is my current GOTY.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
surprised animal crossing isn't getting more love in this thread, i guess the honeymoon period is over for most people - it's definitely my game of the year, and i can see myself coming back to it for a long time to come

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2. I think the only other game I have played from 2020 is Animal Crossing and I really didn't like how it handled local switch accounts, so it wasn't really in the running.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2

Game of the generation. I can't get this fucking game out of my head.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished TLOU Part 2 a few hours ago and it's my GOTY so far by a huge amount. Not sure Cyberpunk or anything else will even come close to it for me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and playing throughout my entire playthrough.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at the moment, tlou2

if WORLD OF HORROR hits 1.0 this year, that and tlou2 will battle it out in my brain space

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I've only beaten FFVIIR from 2020 games.

and that game is only decent and no way would I consider it GOtY for me even if it's winning by default lol.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost On. Beating people over the head with the Shining Finger Sword has been a blast to say the least.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Ori for sure but to my complete surprise I think The Last of Us 2 has moved into second place (after having zero interest in the first game) moving ahead of Nioh 2 but I still firmly believe that Cyberpunk will easily take the crown this year...

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Not because it's the best game I've played this year, but because it singlehandedly saved me from going insane during quarantine. That deserves an award by itself.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I doubt the Yakuza remaster collection counts so for me its either Sakura Wars or Trials of Mana. I've yet to even start Sakura Wars yet sooo for now ToM gets the nod!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
TLOU 2 unless it somehow totally shits the bed in the second half.

If that somehow happens, then Ori 2.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Last of Us Part 2 without a doubt.

I personally might like ff7 remake more. But last of us is a better overall game imo

Scubdi

Jan 21, 2020
For me it has to be Deep Rock Galactic! No other game this year has given me as much joy as DRG.
Sure it might not be the most cinematic or emotional experience out there, but it is pure bliss and nothing comes close to it for 2020.
Rock and Stone!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
My 10/10s for the year so far are Persona 5 Royal, Florence and A Short Hike but if you just include games released this year it'd be P5 Royal followed by FF7 Remake, Doom Eternal and TLoU2 with 9/10s

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Animal Crossing NH, but there are a lot of games coming out later this year which I think have a better chance of being my GotY. I'm thinking it will be Crash 4 but Kena, Astro's Playroom, and Away the Survival Series are also contenders.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Not much TBH.

- Animal Crossing

Thats about it? Theres been a few things Ive enjoyed well enough, but nothing really stands out like AC does and even then Im not that passionate about it. Overall this has been a slow year for me personally. FF7R was a massive disappointment, but was fun to dunk on with my friends at the very least 🤷‍♂️

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Of games i have played from 2020 it is a tossup right now between Ori 2 and Last of us 2. Would rate em both the same.

Too bad the plot in Tlou2 didnt meet expectations and grab me as the first game then it would've been rated much higher but as it's stands it is about an 8ish game.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Hours spent GOTY: Animal Crossing New Horizons
GOTY Otherwise: FFVII: Remake... (Begrudgingly, since the only other new game I've played from this year was DOOM: Eternal)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only about 15 hours in TLoU II.

It isn't even about it being GotY for 2020. I'm just wondering how much farther it can go from there. Possibly GotG or even top ten all time.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2, hoping for Cyberpunk to be a strong contender against it though. More stellar games is a win for everyone.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished TLOU2 yet. But it's TLOU2. It would have to shit the bed to a degree I've never experienced before to not be my favourite of the year.

Oct 29, 2017
surprised animal crossing isn't getting more love in this thread, i guess the honeymoon period is over for most people - it's definitely my game of the year, and i can see myself coming back to it for a long time to come
I liked it a lot, but for me it has passed the honeymoon period, yes. They really fucked up the updates IMO, we should be getting a constant stream of new content way more often than we currently are. Anyway, the rest of my family still plays like 2 hours everyday, so there's some merit to it, I guess.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
I haven't played much new games in 2020. But for now it will have to be DOOM Eternal.

Last edited: