• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
i extended the deadline in hopes that more people will vote
Hopefully I'll be through my top shows by then.

I don't think era doesn't care about tv shows so much as there are so many now...and generally ppl have access to them for much longer, and few have the week-to-week hype of something like GoT. Makes these best of threads harder to respond to.

My wife and I watch a ton of tv and before the deadline extension I took one look and thought "nope", we won't even have started some of our most anticipated 2020 shows by then.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got mine in.

Thanks for extending the deadline RatskyWatsky... I was unable to submit my list before the deadline because of... um, reasons lol.

Perhaps you could ask a mod to sticky this? The forum moves so fast that I'm sure a lot of people miss this thread and other (insert title of the year) threads often get stickied.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
1. Better Call Saul S5;
2. Lucifer S5;
3. Last Week Tonight
4. The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
5. Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
6. Castlevania S3
7. The Mandalorian S2

Sorry for the lazy ballot, put all my effort in the GOTY ballot instead ;_;

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bumping so hopefully more people see this

--

TV Show of the Year

1. Warrior Nun | S1

tenor.gif

Cheating a little bit and ranking this higher because I know it will get less votes overall. Talk about a show that everyone immediately wrote off based on the rather silly title. This show has given me the closest feeling to 'Buffy the Vampire' show since that era of television ended. Yes, the show has a YA feel, but the characters are written well and I came to love the entire cast. The fight scenes were also well done. The entire season was all-around fun, and I'm glad Netflix decided to continue with season two

2. Mythic Quest: Ravens Banquet and Mythic Quest: Quarantine

dc1ee8733b64d39148d27015deb5854ce8094217.gifv

Another show that most people immediately wrote off. I mean hell, I think this show was announced at a Ubisoft E3 press conference. This comedy from Apple TV+ is actually.. really good. Maybe I am biased because I work as a software developer but I really enjoyed the time we spent with these characters. And then, in the middle of the season filled with the laughs and cleverly awkward storylines.. we got a touching standalone episode, 'Dark Quiet Death', starring Jake Johnson and Cristin Miliot and none of the main cast. The episode was an impactful story about the complexities of life and how sometimes things get in the way of our happines and the happiness of the ones we love. Also props to the Quarantine episode, filmed on FaceTime with the main cast, really good stuff, and a touching ending.

3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars | S7

The Clone Wars season seven finally brought Star Wars fans closure to the animated show that was canceled before we were able to get a proper ending. The Siege of Mandalore is able to stand alone as one of the best Star Wars materials, animated or live action. We finally got a proper send-off for this iteration of Ashoka, Rex, Anikan, and Obi-Wan.

4. Better Call Saul | S5

cc5f6e49d84a88173aa91c5cc4f13bcf0ba6b25e.gif
552a63a55684c757c7692a05d76656661b1ee9eb.gif

Better Call Saul continued to deliver in season five. Jimmy's continued his downward spiral into the man we know from Breaking Bad. Still dealing with the loss of his brother from last season, we get a look at how the trauma will shape Jimmy becomes more ruthless and cold. Of course, things escalate for Jimmy with the Lalo and the Salamancas, but for me this show was always going to be about the relationship between Kim and Jimmy, and as we saw in the finale, it might mean that Kim by the end will become someone else entirely just like we know Jimmy. I am not ready for season six to be the last, and give Rhea Seehorn all of the awards, damnit!

5. The Expanse | S5

690f059c1f1b713b3077815c5da7583701eb55ae.gifv

Kind of cheating because it ened in January but other people included it. I started both The Expanse book series and show last year. Season five was the best so far for me adapting the excellent novel, Nemesis Games. The charactesr of Naomi and Amos took the spotlight this season. Dominique Tipper had some truly incredible acting in this season as her attempted to escape from Marco Inaros and also save her friends from him. It is a bit bittersweet that this will be the penultimate season but I have faith season six will wrap things up well. Six season is quite a feat for a modern science fiction show, and this one will take its place up with the greats. There is also always the possibility for a movie or mini-series to cover the last three books in the future.

6. What We Do in the Shadows | S2

wFZK-huf73JVJ1Ayjsl5kO-DxDuk661Hq_lGOpDOLKe9Eo2fStkZoOdBIHyN5HyNzL8-AlcjEEFE83mm901dMQRPLpkA_B4PITmqcIngYUnjmuITPByyAbYLBzqMrLMwaGwerTB-

I was late to the game with What We Do in the Shadows. I watched the film and both season this year, and I absoutely loved it all. I just love the absolutely fun of this show. Often times episodes would have me dying of laughter, and the finale was wild. This season was truly Guillermo's season and Harvey Guillén did a fantastic job.

7. Doom Patrol | S2

0a126d00c90ce2b9467db0fac543b66a6c3c33e8.gif

I absolutely loved season one of Doom Patrol, and season two continued to deliver. Things continued to be wild. We got crazy things like Imaginary Jesus, the Sex-Men and the sex crazed demons and Doctor Tyme and his roller derby whiel also having touching moments for each of the characters in the main cast. It is a shame that the season ended abruptly due to COVID but I am thrilled that HBO Max has picked up the show from DC Universe.

8. The Umbrella Academy | S2

giphy.gif

Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy are very similar shows. Both deal with misfits trying to find their place in society. But Umbrella Academy did something a little differently this season. Yes, the season was building up to a wild-ending catastrophe again but it focused on the characters a bit more, and how they struggled to fit in, this time in the 1960's. Allison in particular had a great storyline about trying to start her own family in a time period where even if she didn't have superpowers, she wouldn't be accepted because of the color of her skin. Of course, the finale was wild, and it looks like season three will be something else entirely diferent again as we are introduced to the new antagonists in the final scene.

9. The Mandalorian | S2

3a0f87a8c77cd2d7dae6118a5e21321f628ca49d.gifv

The Mandalorian season two took what was already a great concept in season one, and kicked it up to 11. This is the show that has taken the world by storm and will surely cement the streaming world as the future of televison. Every episode was a delight to watch and The Mandalorian and his crew of allies grew. We got krayt dragons, Cobb Vanth, the live action introductions of Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano, Boba freaking Fett coming back from the grave, the return of Dark Troopers to the new canon, this season was truly wild. The final episode was truly a magnificent conclusion which would actually work as a proper series finale. Of course we will get a season three and several spinoffs so the Star Wars content on Disney+ is just beginning. I know this show will likely be in Resetera's Top 5 so I don't mind giving it lower points in my ranking.

10. Raised by Wolves | S1

dd261e4d2c88505b8844c7857ef43fc704738e09.gifv

Raised by Wolves is a truly weird show. The kind of science fiction that rarely gets made for the film or television that is usually relegated to short stories and novels in fiction. The visual look of this show is truly incredible wether it be on Kepler-22b, the destructed landscape of Earth torn apart by a religious war, or on the colony ships in space. I can see why this show is not for everyone and the ending was truly weird, but I can't help but love this show for trying some weird and just going for it. I hope more people check this out if they get HBO Max this year!

Honorable mentions:

How to with John Wilson | S1
Harley Quinn | S2
Ramy | S2
The Boys | S2
Tales from the Loop | S1
The Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian
Jo Martin as The Doctor and Sacha Dhawan as The Master in Doctor Who

Fails of the Year
  1. Penny Dreadful: City of Angels - Absolutely nothing like the original series at all. This just shouldn't have been made. Not even Natalie Dormer could salvage this year.
  2. CBS All Access live action Star Trek shows - Listen, I loved season 1 and 2 of Star Trek Discovery. I even liked some of Picard and Discovery s3, and I will probably make the OT threads for the future shows, but season 3 of Discovery and season 1 of Picard ultimately disappointed. Maybe they are the victim of overhyping or something. Star Trek: Discovery had a good chance to reset the show by going into a future timeline and essentially starting over, but for the most part the resolution to the big mystery was overwhelming. Picard brought back the Captain we loved from TNG and the films with a return to tv, and by the end most fans were left wondering what they just watched by the end. I'm hopeful for Strange New Worlds, the Captain Pike series, and I will still watch future seasons of Discovery and Picard, but I can't help but wish they were better.
  3. Quibi - Quibi was a failure through and through. The trainwreck was just sped up by COVID.

2019 List

Also 2021 is going to be insane - Amazon's Lord of the Rings and The Wheel of Time, new season of Stranger Things, Marvel tv shows - WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and What-If. Dexter returning. Better Call Saul, The Expanse, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and Lost in Space series finales, Superman & Lois premiering, AHS s10, Barry s3, Apple's Foundation, The Nevers, The Witcher season 2, The Book of Boba Fett and The Bad Batch.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe they are the victim of overhyping or something.
Nah. Picard was awful regardless of any hype you might have for it. Discovery was never well written and continued that trend for Season 3.

These are just very poorly written shows. Aside from Lower Decks, new Trek has been a huge bust, let's hope the new shows take a cue from Lower Decks and actually embrace the franchise they came from instead of trying to be action-driven generic sci-fi.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nah. Picard was awful regardless of any hype you might have for it. Discovery was never well written and continued that trend for Season 3.

These are just very poorly written shows. Aside from Lower Decks, new Trek has been a huge bust, let's hope the new shows take a cue from Lower Decks and actually embrace the franchise they came from instead of trying to be action-driven generic sci-fi.

It sucks because I want to like these shows. I actually didn't mind Discovery s1 and 2 and enjoyed parts of them. I am hopeful SNW will be better.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I've been waiting forever for Better Call Saul to be available on Netflix before starting on my list. I got too distracted to watch anything at some point last year and then someone fucked with the DVR recordings so I got stuck waiting.

.....I'm just gonna work on my list now(will edit in on the earlier post) and if BCS somehow becomes available to me I'll try to binge fast and include it 😓

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
1) Better Call Saul Season 5 (AMC) - The penultimate season of this prequel series continues the trajectory of Jimmy McGill towards Saul Goodman, the character we knew originally on Breaking Bad. Despite knowing the end point, the journey has been incredibly exciting to watch unfold. The new villain introduced at the end of season 4 (Lalo Salamanca), gets to spread his wings in the latest season and provides a menacing obstacle for the protagonists to navigate.

2) I May Destroy You (HBO/BBC) - Michaela Coel's tragic showcase of sexual assault and the various complexities of consent. Coel stars, co-directs, writes, and produces the series. It's a stunning piece of work and despite the material being difficult to consume at times, it manages to be insightful, funny, and compelling all at once.

3) How to With John Wilson (HBO) - This seven part series is a beautiful portrait of New York City and its many eccentric inhabitants. The show uses b-roll, voice-over, and interview footage to produce a very funny, sweet, and unique experience. Despite each episode covering a rather mundane central topic, like scaffolding, the tangents are wild and unpredictable.

4) Kidding Season 2 (Showtime) - The second episode, labeled "Up, Down and Everything in Between," is nothing short of sensational television. Unlike the original season, which was a bit of a roller coaster ride in terms of quality, the final season of Kidding is incredibly consistent. While it's disappointing that the show was cancelled, I will forever cherish that it got made at all.

5) Sunderland Till I Die Season 2 (Netflix) - If you enjoy sports documentaries, or simply documentary series in general, I can't think of a show that better executes the formula. The show follows a soccer club in England and it's recent struggles with relegation, financing, and staff turnover. You meet and get attached to everyone at the club, including lifelong fans, dedicated employees, players, and ownership.

6) The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) - Anya Taylor-Joy shines as a young chess prodigy that struggles with various addictions. The limited series, based in the 60's, has outstanding costume and set design. While it definitely reignited a love I have for chess, the show prioritizes the human drama and stakes over the more granular techniques and strategies.

7) What We Do in the Shadows Season 2 (FX) - This series continues to be an absolute delight and one of the funniest shows currently on television. In the newest season, they make great use out of the side character Guillermo, who has been a loyal familiar to a vampire for many years. He stumbles upon a vampire hunting group, and quickly realizes he has some natural gifts that he struggles to process.

8) The Good Lord Bird (Showtime) - Ethan Hawk ramps up the camp to insane levels with his take on John Brown, an abolitionist that many have credited with igniting the American Civil War. The perspective of the show is from a young black boy nicknamed Onion, who is mistaken for a girl and behaves/dresses as such in fear of retribution. He narrates the various adventures that he participates in with Brown and his gang, wondering all the while if the excess violence is necessary and if these white people are truly as dedicated to the cause of ending slavery as they claim.

9) Ramy Season 2 (Hulu) - A Master of None sort of vibe pervades this wonderful series from Ramy Youssef. Based on the American Muslim experience, the show is at its best during its various episodes focusing on the supporting characters. Youssef also stars in the series, and the titular character undergoes quite the surprising arc.

10) Dave (Hulu) - Dave Burd, also known as the rapper Lil Dicky, created and stars in this comedy based partially on his own life story. The show has plenty of hilarious moments, and also has a couple of great rap segments at the beginning and end of the first season. It also tackles some more serious subjects with sensitivity and respect, including the portrayal of Dave's hype man GaTa, who deals with bipolar disorder.

Fail of the year:

1) Run (HBO) - I was excited about this program given my admiration for the two leads (Merritt Weaver and Domhnall Gleeson), but boy was it a slog. Neither character was particularly likeable, and the narrative/messaging didn't go anywhere worthwhile. The only redeeming element was Phoebe Waller-Bridges' brief appearance.

Last edited:

KingFox

May 17, 2018
1. The Crown S4 | Netflix - Every season is great and every cast change / addition a succes. Much like last seasons Josh O'Connor as Prince Charles it is now series newcomer Emma Corrin who steals the show with her portrayal of Princess Diana. Their from the start doomed marriage delivers in some brutal hard to watch scenes and oh my god that finale ending...

2. The Queen's Gambit | Netflix - Who knew a drama series about a troubled young chess prodigy could end up making this much waves. What a great performance by Anya Taylor-Joy. Some minor changes and maybe just one more episode to really flesh out its finale and this could have very well been my #1.

3. Mrs. America | Hulu - The story of Phyllis Schlafly, a conservative activist who led a movement to block the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. Another great limited series with an absolute stellar cast, led by Cate Blanchett as the once 'most hated woman in America'.

4. The Umbrella Academy S2 | Netflix
5. Kingdom S2 | Netflix
6. The Boys S2 | Amazon Prime
7. Dark S3 | Netflix
8. Westworld S3 | HBO
9. The Mandalorian S2 | Disney+
10. Alice In Borderland S1 | Netflix

Fail of the Year: Quibi - How could it be anything other than the spectacular failure of this new streaming platform. Launched and shut down within not even a year.

Last edited:

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Here are mine. Didn't watch as much as I usually do and didn't have time to do nice write-ups like I normally would. Maybe next year. Not really sure on the order and debated putting each of the top three at number one, but this is how it shook out when I went to write it up tonight 🤷🏻‍♂️

1. Harley Quinn: I totally fell in love with this show. Harley and Ivy make for a wonderful central pair. And some of the side characters just crack me up (especially Bane and King Shark). The voice cast is excellent. And I liked the whole angle they took in looking at these villains. Awesome show.

2. The Queen's Gambit: I try to avoid binge watching whenever possible. I like to think on episodes before watching new ones. But every once in a while, I just get hooked on a show and I can't help myself. That was the case with The Queen's Gambit. The lead performance is absolutely stellar and I loved both the examination of addiction and the nerdy chess stuff.

3. Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: This doesn't really seem like my type of show and it can be a bit schmaltzy, but I really enjoyed it anyway. The concept is really clever. The song and dance numbers are a lot of fun (some of the actors can really sing too). Jane Levy is great in the title role and the episode where she ends up singing is so bonkers. One of the most memorable episodes of the year for sure. And it wasn't the only time they did something unique with the musical aspect.

4. The Mandalorian: I can recognize that this isn't top tier television, but damn if I didn't enjoy the hell out of sitting down to watch this each week. The bond between Mando and The Child is so endearing. Seeing what they got up to every Friday was a major highlight of my week for a couple months there.

5. Dispatches From Elsewhere: I'm so torn on what to do with this one. For nine episodes, it was probably my favorite show of the year. But I hated the finale. Before that disaster of an episode it was just wonderful. I loved the character relationships. I loved the main romantic pairing. I loved the puzzle-y nature of the central plot. But yeah, the finale just went in a direction I didn't like. Still, on the whole, a show worth experiencing.

6. Better Call Saul: This show is so consistently great, so unsurprisingly it was great yet again.

7. Umbrella Academy: I love all the siblings and while I was a little on the fence about the season's new setting, it really grew on me as it went on. The tease for next season was great too. Show is just a ton of fun.

8. LEGO Masters: There was some really annoying reality show drama forced into this, but I loved seeing the builds — some of them were truly incredible — and thought Will Arnett did a great job as the host.

9. Dave: This show was hysterical with some surprisingly sweet moments.

10. Highly Questionable: I don't normally put in daily (or sports) shows like this, but I adore this show and decided to slip it in in the last spot here. Coming home to watch this everyday after work was such a big comfort to me dealing with my workplace amidst the pandemic. They seem to be having so much fun making this show. It being Dan and his father's last year with the show makes it stick out even more. I still enjoy the show because I've come to love a lot of the series' revolving cast (especially Mina, Katie and Pablo), but it will never be the same without the Lebatards.

Honorable Mention: The Good Place: This is my new all-time favorite comedy series, but it only aired a few episodes in 2020, so I didn't include it in my top ten. But I was very happy with how it ended and will miss this cast of characters so much. They were delightful. What a show!

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
voting ends tomorrow but so few people posted that i guess i can keep it up for a while longer

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
voting ends tomorrow but so few people posted that i guess i can keep it up for a while longer

I noticed people saying even the GOTY thread has a lot less votes this year (for example I don't do the GOTY one even tho gaming is still my main hobby and I do participate in the 52 games thread), I think people in general care less and less about awards?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed people saying even the GOTY thread has a lot less votes this year (for example I don't do the GOTY one even tho gaming is still my main hobby and I do participate in the 52 games thread), I think people in general care less and less about awards?
Seems like all the voting threads are barely getting any notice this year

Covid has somehow sapped our love for ranking things!

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Ted Lasso
giphy.gif

The best show of 2020. The vaccine for a dark and sometimes depressing year. Ted is early Simpsons era Ned Flanders minus the religion; an eternal optimist who continually sees the best in others even when those individuals are trying to hurt and/or sabotage him. Don't worry about not knowing about English Football, you can come in with as little knowledge of the game as Ted (zero) and still come out feeling like you watched the best show of 2020...because you did.

2. Harley Quinn
giphy.gif

Violent, vulgar, Harley Quinn isn't an animated Show for the youngins. A good thing for conservatives; wouldn't want little Billy exposed to a same sex couple that puts most other DC TV/Movie couples to shame. And it does put other DC relationships to shame, here's looking at you Dianna and Steve!

3. Mythic Quest
mythicquestshovel.gif

Half Always Sunny, Half Community, Mythic Quest dives into the lives of game developers beholden to a megalomaniac creative director who is constantly at odds with his lead engineer.

4. Agents of SHIELD
giphy.gif

Shield will go down as one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time, but unfortunately the show's MVP being MIA for most of Season 7 does hurt it's rankings here. Thankfully they were able to snatch up a fan favorite character from another Marvel TV show to help lesson the sting.

5. Better Call Saul
giphy.gif

I'm not as high on BCS as some are, but season 5 did give us the best villain in the Breaking Bad universe and that goes along ways. Season 5 also had one of the show's best episodes to date.

6. The Mandalorian
giphy.gif

Season Two suffered a lot of the issues season 1 did. It often felt like Mando was doing favor after favor, slowly inching his way closer to finding other Mandalorians. If I were judging these shows simply by plot, Mando and his trusty sidekick Grogu wouldn't sniff this list.

Thankfully the show's special effects keep it in high regards. Easily the best looking show I've ever seen.

7. The Umbrella Academy
tenor.gif

While it may not be the only show on this list that delved into time travel shenanigans, season 2 of The Umbrella Academy does improve on a relatively stale first season, specifically giving then Ellen (now Elliot) Page more room to stretch out her (now his) acting abilities. The rest of the cast are either as good or better than their 1st season performances and Number Five continues to be a fan favorite.

8. Saturday Night Live
1370af8ef03b5e1928fe13760bb15cd4.gif

2020 was an odd year for the late night sketch comedy. One week you go from having Daniel Craig hosting with musical guest The Weeknd, the next SNL is shut down, only to return weeks later in an 'at home' edition that was often cringeworthy and worth watching only to hear others react to how bad it was later on (though thank you for giving me more 'What Up With That').

Now that SNL's returned to Studio 8H, it's as good (or okay) as it ever is. Some sketches will amaze, some will have you giving only half your attention to (while you look down at your phone), but culturally speaking, it's still the top dog and I hold those moments I do remember weeks later in a higher regard then most TV show moments, so number 8 it is.

9. His Dark Materials
giphy-downsized.gif

While not as good as the first season, I'd take a Lin Manuel Miranda starring fantasy show from HBO any day of the week.

10. Space Force
giphy.gif

Carrell and Malkovich make for a decent sitcom duo and you gotta love how Netflix stole the name Space Force from under the Trump Administration.

Might adjust some of these later if I have the time. Did these in a rush because I sorta forgot for the millionth time this year.

Last edited:

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
Completely forgot about this until now, so if still open here's what I would throw in. I'm sorry I forgot Ratsky!

1. Ted Lasso - In a year of depression and misery, this was the show that I needed. Delightful, wholesome, and hilarious, this show had no business being this good. And yet it was my favorite show of the year.
  2. Little America - In a pre-covid world, this might have been #1. That said it was very well-made and the anthology approach worked out perfectly.
  3. Better Call Saul S5 - I mean at this point if you're not aware of the show then I don't know what to say. It's the same show as last season, except better?
  4. Expanse S5 - Much better than last season, and the space battles/visual effects were great.
  5. Mythic Quest - Really loved this one, another Apple TV+ hit.
  6. What We Do in the Shadows S2 - Still amazingly hilarious.
  7. Homecoming S2 - Found a good way to tell a new short story while tying in to S1.
  8. Kim's Convenience S4 - A great feel-good Canadian comedy, can't go wrong.
  9. Better Things S4 - Better Things in a post-Louie world is still as good, if not better for it. This season still delivered.
  10. Queen's Gambit - Don't let the ranking fool you, just because this is #10 doesn't mean it's not that good. It's fantastic and Anya Taylor-Joy is a real gem.
Honorable Mentions:
Betty - Yes, an extension of the film, but still good.
Mandalorian S2 - Baby Yoda is great. If it wasn't for him though I probably wouldn't be watching.
A.P. Bio S3 - Guilty pleasure, love this one.
Flight Attendant - Good fun to be had for sure, though still a bit difficult for me to buy into some things.
Agents of SHIELD S7 - The show isn't the best quality, but it went out on its own terms and did a damn good job of that.
How To with John Wilson - This came out of nowhere for me but I loved it.
Formula 1: Drive to Survive S2 - Pretty niche show but if you enjoy it, it's well-made.
Insecure S4 - The show is really finding it's groove now, shame it only has one season left.

Fails:
1. Qui-BYE - I thought it was a dumb fucking idea and I'm not exactly sad to see it go.
2. LEGO masters was horrible with badly-constructed drama out of nowhere and objectively bad judging. I love LEGO but that show was such a big disappointment.
3. Shows getting cancelled too early, due to COVID or not - Stumptown, Glow, One Day at a Time, and many more.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
2020 was an amazing year for television, nearly every month filled with promising shows. I didn't watch quite as much television as I normally do this year, sadly neglecting quite a few series that would have likely slotted somewhere in this list, such as PEN15, What We Do In the Shadows, The Third Day, The New Pope, Kidding, and countless others that currently escape me. Owing to a lack of time, I wasn't able to write out my thoughts on the honorable mentions I've listed, but I might do so while the thread remains open.

1. My Brilliant Friend ; Soaring to even greater heights than what was accomplished in the first season, My Brilliant Friend returns with another emotionally searing and intricately written exploration of female friendship. As an adaptation of Elena Ferrante's brilliant Neapolitan novels, it's remarkably adroit at capturing the rather elusive qualities that comprise the sprawling narrative and the central characters that inhabit it, evidenced most impressively by how fully the fathomless depths of Lila and Elena's friendship are illustrated. Nearly every creative and directorial decision that's made is a skillful one, smartly revealing another layer of complexity to Lila and Elena's dynamic in the same novelistic fashion as the source material. Margherita Mazzucco and Gaia Girace are both tremendous in their roles, commandingly portraying the complicated and often tumultuous evolution of their characters with an authenticity that feels effortless. The entire production meets the ambitions of its material, from Saverio Costanzo's assured direction to Max Richter's charming score to the evocative utilization of its Italian setting.

2. The Good Lord Bird ; Imbued with a comedic flair that manages to complement the tragic undercurrents, a touch of the bizarre, and a dramatic resonance that subtly lingers, The Good Lord Bird is an absolute triumph. Ethan Hawke's manic madness is enthralling every moment he's on screen, breathing life to John Brown's tale with a wild abandon that is ridiculously entertaining and further testament to his evolution into one of the most magnetic and unpredictable actors of his age. It's easily among the strongest performances of the year. Joshua Johnson-Lionel plays off him surprisingly well, lending the fairly tricky role of Onion an earnestness that is impressively effective. One of the most noteworthy aspects of the series is how confidently such a curious mixture of elements was handled. The humor and theatricality so prevalent throughout never once diminish the historical and emotional profoundness that courses through the story's telling.

3. The Great ; Skillfully weaving between riotous comedic antics and cleverly wrought political intrigue, The Great is a wondrously inventive satire. Nicholas Hoult and, in particular, Elle Fanning are incredible throughout. Hoult continues the comedic brilliance he displayed in The Favourite with scene-stealing aplomb, while Fanning delivers my favorite performance of the year, instilling every scene of hers with an electricity that is absolutely captivating. The entire supporting cast deliver strong performances as well, most notably Sacha Dhawan, Belinda Bromilow, and Adam Godley. All of this is aided by Tony McNamara's bitingly witty and subtly subversive writing. Much like in the Favourite, the dialogue is simply delectable. Eschewing much of the anachronism I had initially expected, this hewed considerably closer to a fully realized period piece, replete with surprisingly gorgeous production values, striking cinematography, and a fairly admirable endeavor at historical authenticity. Though each episode is roughly an hour in length, the entire season is brilliantly paced, culminating with a rousing finale that left me craving for more.

4. Primal ; Overflowing with exquisite animation, bold storytelling, and mesmerizing audiovisual flourishes, the continuation of Primal's first season has solidified it as Genndy Tartakovsky's magnum opus. This stunningly illustrated tale of man and beast in an unspoken and ceaseless war with an untamed world and the creatures that roam within it is a sublime stage for Tartakovsky's considerable genius. Primal is, at all times, a singular vision told in a manner that heightens all of the best elements of what the medium of animation makes possible, creativity and ingenuity seemingly pouring out of every frame. The usage of color is especially stunning. Aided by some sublime storyboarding, every bit of brutality is hauntingly and grotesquely illustrated, which strengthens the storytelling considerably. Primal is, all told, an outstanding artistic achievement.

5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars ; Throughout its original airing, The Clone Wars gradually became one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars, as it encapsulated nearly everything I love about the universe. After Disney's acquisition of the property and the premature cancellation of the series, I had assumed that it would never be returned to. I'm so glad to have been wrong, especially considering how faithfully the seventh and seemingly final season was crafted. While the first and second arc weren't quite as remarkable as this ranking might suggest, the final four episodes provided a narrative and emotional crescendo that was masterfully executed and thoroughly rewarding. The conclusion of Ahsoka's Clone Wars arc was particularly satisfying to finally see unfold, as it poignantly depicted the tragedy of Anakin and Ahsoka's dynamic, while also accentuating her transition into a character that's justifiably separate from the Jedi. In combination with her appearances in both Rebels and The Mandalorian, she's demonstrably become one of the best characters in all of Star Wars. Darth Maul's reappearance was executed to perfection. From the sublimely animated duel with Ahsoka to the hauntingly realized escape from prison. While Clone Wars became quite impressively animated by the end of its original run, this entire season was a tour de force in that regard. The array of detail and movement incorporated into nearly every scene added so much depth and dynamism to the world. Even though I'd love another seven seasons of Clone Wars, the final sequence served as a beautifully melancholic coda to the entire prequel era.

6. Dark ; Concluding such a sprawling, at times convoluted tale of science fiction was an incredibly daunting endeavor, but Dark exceeded my expectations in nearly every regard. That the writers were able to craft an end that was logical, poignant, and thoroughly rewarding is mightily impressive. Jonah and Martha's relationship and individual character arcs provided the emotional highlight of the season, aided by lovely performances from Louis Hofmann and Lisa Vicari. The entire series has been marked by how deftly its sprawling science fiction complexities are bound together through expertly honed storytelling. Though it occasionally threatened to become lost within itself, the final season managed to unfurl the ever-expanding web of mysteries quite gracefully. The only notable disappointment I have with the season is its somewhat rushed nature. Considering its lofty storytelling ambitions and the myriad of compelling characters, the narrative that occurred would have been better served by another eight or so episodes. This is, however, a rather insignificant qualm when compared to all that it accomplished.

7. Normal People ; Elevated by an exceedingly effective dedication to understatement and some exceptional direction, Normal People is a beautifully told romance. Daisy Edgar-Jones and Paul Mescal are phenomenal as the two leads, delivering performances that are achingly vulnerable and enormously endearing, Marianne and Connell's relationship, though often hindered by decidedly poor communication, is a remarkably compelling one, heightening even moments of seeming stagnation with profundity. The intimate camera work and usage of silence to convey thought and emotion were particularly effective directorial flourishes, instilling Marianne and Connell's dynamic with a thoroughly effective naturalism. Despite an episode or two of somewhat needless repetition in the latter half of the season, the series ends with a pair of episodes that are superb pieces of storytelling, as they quietly and painfully explored the emotions that have guided the characters throughout much of their lives.

8. I May Destroy You ; Unflinching in its depiction of sexual assault and the tragic complexities that occur in the surviving of it, I May Destroy You is an exceptionally impressive directorial debut from Michaela Coel (not failing to note, of course, that she starred in, produced, and wrote the series as well, which is amazing). The drama is consistently thoughtful and deftly handled, even at its most unsettling. Most surprising was the consistent usage of well-struck comedy throughout the season. The final episode was a brilliantly inventive and, at times, cathartic, conclusion that nimbly balanced the emotional crescendo of a great many disparate elements.

9. Mrs. America ; Excellently paced and thoughtfully told, Mrs. America is a riveting study of history and a small portion of the struggles women endured, even amongst themselves, to carve out an autonomy they had long been owed. Cate Blanchett was terrific throughout, channeling a quiet ferocity and, in a sense, madness that lent such an unlikable character an engrossing quality that never abated. Though her performance is perhaps the highlight of the season, the entire cast is wonderful, particularly Rose Byrne and Sarah Paulson. Complemented by wit and consistently fascinating character work, the insightful storytelling is one of the series greatest strengths, closing with a quietly powerful finale.

10. The Queen's Gambit ; Driven by a beguiling and complex performance from Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit is highly entertaining and confidently executed. The detail and thoughtful attention afforded to every aspect of the series elevated the story beyond its somewhat formulaic constraints. Despite the familiar hallmarks of the "sports success" genre etched into the entire season, there's quite a lot to be said about a story of this nature that is executed well and builds to a satisfying conclusion, all while exploring a sport that's exceedingly atypical territory for the genre. The novelistic nature of the storytelling was largely a success, though it did occasionally veer into predictable repetition. The production was altogether exemplary in its recreation of the era, boasting gorgeous costuming and some truly splendid set design.

Honorable Mentions:

11. The Boys
12. Star Trek: Lower Decks
13. The Mandalorian
14. The Crown
15. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
16. Big Mouth
17. Ted Lasso
18. The Last Dance
19. Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
20. Harley Quinn

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this is till open I'll try and put mine together tomorrow.

I somehow miss these every year

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
1. My Brilliant Friend
2. I May Destroy You
3. Better Call Saul
4. Mrs. America
5. Schitt's Creek
6. The Queen's Gambit
7. P-Valley
8. The Plot Against America
9. Little America
10. Ramy

Shout Outs:

Brockmire
Everything's Gonna Be Okay
Giri/Haji
Raised by Wolves
The Good Lord Bird
The Midnight Gospel

I don't think I have any fails. I was gonna put Cinemax, but that turned out to be more of a "Fail of the Decade" type thing.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll leave the thread open for one more week and then after that I'll lock it and tally what meager votes there are...

Oct 27, 2017
I would've thought this would see a lot more action with the pandemic and all. People are either lazy or of-the-year threads are no longer hip and cool.