• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ewww fuck no. Let's not put all of our young people through the meat grinder.

Edit: may have misinterpreted

Is he talking military or something else?

Military.

Buttigieg mentioned that for him and several former presidents, including John F. Kennedy and George H. W. Bush, serving in the military allowed them to meet and build trust with people of starkly different backgrounds, education and income. Buttigieg served in the Navy from 2009 to 2017, including a deployment to Afghanistan.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Ewww fuck no. Let's not put all of our young people through the meat grinder.

Edit: may have misinterpreted

Is he talking military or something else?
Variety of things, including but not exclusive to military service. Essentially (paid?) Volunteer work for the betterment of society. Should absolutely not be mandatory, but I don't think he's pitching it that way either.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Variety of things, including but not exclusive to military service. Essentially (paid?) Volunteer work for the betterment of society. Should absolutely not be mandatory, but I don't think he's pitching it that way either.

He waffles on saying if it should be mandatory or not, but he explicitly says he wants it to be a "social norm."

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

"One thing we could do that would change that would be to make it, if not legally obligatory, but certainly a social norm that anybody after they're 18 spends a year in national service."

He wants it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone vehemently anti-war and anti-imperialist, that proposal disgusts me.

Bernie is doing very, very well with minorities, and possibly underperforming with whites now.
Something something BernieBros, but seriously I'm glad he's learned from 2016 and has done better to reach out to PoC. I think he'll do consistently better in the south because of it.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The military thing is weird. It's nice to see we can have a gay candidate be taken seriously, and he seems to have a talent for packaging left leaning ideas in a way that a more conservative electorate might find more palatable, but... Military service, really? That is an absurd idea.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
National service and military service are two different things.

Agreed.

He specifically mentions military service, though, and even mentions Bush by name in regards to it. The article is pretty direct about it.

Not sure why any Democratic candidate would think this would be a popular platform by any means.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

He specifically mentions military service, though, and even mentions Bush by name in regards to it. The article is pretty direct about it.

Not sure why any Democratic candidate would think this would be a popular platform by any means.

Well, he mentioned military to start, because the question was literally about his military service.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow...vice-to-boost-national-cohesion-1494493763766

There's the bit that spawned the article. When he starts talking about national service, he talks about civilian or military, and the need to create more services and opportunities for this.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
It's clear he's not talking about a draft. He even says so in the article. It's presented as an option, but it's not exclusively military service. He only mentions that his own military service was helpful to him and other past presidents. He also mentions that it shouldn't be made legally obligatory.

Carry on with trying to cancel Mayor Pete guys.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
As someone currently in the military, contract ends soon, national service is pretty fucking cool.

Just today I was hanging out with people from: Texas, Virginia, Washington, Arizona, Florida, and Ohio.

If I hadn't enlisted I probably would have never met these people.
And damn.
We really are all just the same regardless of geography.
The only thing that separates us is class. And with my fellow servicemen/women i find that we're all either middle class or poor as shit lol.

They're as fun to hang out with as my fellow Floridians are.
Sure, some of them are oblivious to racial issues, but hanging out with me just opens them up to it and only helps in educating them.

obviously we drank a bit tonight so sorry if this didn't make sense.

All I'm saying is that states are bummshit and we are all the same people.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm obviously not for mandatory military service, but it would show people that the military isn't anything special and maybe we'd stop putting people who serve on a pedestal.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's one way to be completely out of touch holy shit.

CJ1Hu.gif

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mandatory national service is an election losing issue. People are going to go fuck no and vote Trump if he's the nominee

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's clear he's not talking about a draft. He even says so in the article. It's presented as an option, but it's not exclusively military service. He only mentions that his own military service was helpful to him and other past presidents. He also mentions that it shouldn't be made legally obligatory.

Carry on with trying to cancel Mayor Pete guys.

For being a political nobody a few months ago with a mixed record and relatively little experience some of you are really fervent in your defense of him.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto still doing great in fundraising and drawing big crowds. Just because he doesn't go on TV doesn't mean he doesn't have hype. Pete has been ordained by big money donors and the media to be THE GUY though

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
For being a political nobody a few months ago with a mixed record and relatively little experience some of you are really fervent in your defense of him.
I've been critical of his position on healthcare, free college, and Israel. I'll more than likely even end up voting Warren or Bernie.

But a lot of the "controversies" that suddenly popped up about him (conveniently all within a week of the Q1 fundraising releases that showed he could be a threat), are often completely devoid of essential context or outright false. It's a pretty blatant attempt to kill his campaign in the crib before he can threaten other candidates for the nomination. Nobody even bothered to respond to or refute the post that actually addressed the wire tapping and housing controversies.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Lol era never fails to fit its stereotype. Agree or disagree, but do some of you even try to read and understand candidates positions, or do you just try to find more reasons to hate people that aren't your preferred candidate.

Honestly, I could care less what you agree or disagree on, but I know people don't do that here in good faith. Maybe try to explain why you disagree and provide your own reasoning on what can be done for that certain issue. And also try to understand why that candidate believes what they do. It may lead to a more empathetic and productive discussion.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol era never fails to fit its stereotype. Agree or disagree, but do some of you even try to read and understand candidates positions, or do you just try to find more reasons to hate people that aren't your preferred candidate.

Honestly, I could care less what you agree or disagree on, but I know people don't do that here in good faith.
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE [insert candidate] SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR [insert candidate] AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. FOR [insert candidate]. HATE. HATE.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Warned: Personal attacks against another member (post-count shaming)

Honestly, I could care less what you agree or disagree on, but I know people don't do that here in good faith. Maybe try to explain why you disagree and provide your own reasoning on what can be done for that certain issue. And also try to understand why that candidate believes what they do. It may lead to a more empathetic and productive discussion.
Why is it always the low post no Avatar users that make claims like this?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Who's more likely to be Bernie's VP candidate:

Andrew Gillum
Stacey Abrams
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
Kamala Harris

My pick is Andrew Gillum.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Why is it always the low post no Avatar users that make claims like this?

Because most people don't bother to make an account and try to convince people here of anything. I've been a lurker for awhile, just never got around to making an account. It just frustrates me to see ridiculous statements thrown around here.

I hope you're not implying what I think you are by that comment, btw. Would fit right in with what I'm saying

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Pete has had this national service idea for some time (here in 2004):
On the positive side, the future is when we could find out what it is like to live without dependence on foreign oil, or any oil. We would get to live in a nation where youth are bound together by a national service program which does needed work, instills values, and makes college more affordable at the same time. We could finally see a single-payer health care system that closes the gap between the U.S. and other nations when it comes to medical treatment. And we could travel abroad in a world that views America as a leader, not a danger. These are all promises from Kerry that have yet to break into the public conversation.
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2004/3/8/future-imperfect-i-doubt-the-bush/

Some European countries like Germany had a military conscription and a mandatory national service alternative for those who didn't want to/couldn't join the army but conscription's since been abolished and the mandatory national service program has been replaced with a volunteer-based on. Pete needs to say what his national service would look like, precisely, but meh. I don't think this is a winning issue!

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Because most people don't bother to make an account and try to convince people here of anything. I've been a lurker for awhile, just never got around to making an account. It just frustrates me to see ridiculous statements thrown around here.

I hope you're not implying what I think you are by that comment, btw. Would fit right in with what I'm saying
Then call those posters out and refute their assertions directly. Posting into the void gets you no where.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's not mandatory and is coupled with incentives like free tuition, trade schools, etc., I would love to see a big expansion and emphasis in Peace Corps/Americorps civil service programs. I don't know what people have against that? Obviously if it was mandatory conscription I'd have a problem, but damn, I didn't know how many people consider the Peace Corps to be an imperialist/ problematic venture lol. I almost signed up after college.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Yeah not necessarily. Just how about you directly confront statements that bother you instead of pointlessly saying "ERA IS ALL THE SAME".

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Andrew Gillum
Stacey Abrams
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
Kamala Harris

I'm thinking Harris. I believe Abrams might do another senate run, and Warren would be better served in a position to flex her policy prowess.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017

Andrew Gillum
Stacey Abrams
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
Kamala Harris

he says he's going to pick a younger woman

I think Stacey and Kamala are definitely on the shortlist.

He said he wants his VP to be a younger WoC preferably.

i dont believe he ever mentioned the VP being a WoC but that's probably a given i guess

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Then call those posters out and refute their assertions directly. Posting into the void gets you no where.

Fair enough. I will not be posting much, mostly out of time, but I will provide some listening points.

That's one way to be completely out of touch holy shit.

how is it even possible to still like this dude

These are perfect examples of drive-by posts that provide nothing of substance while never actually taking Pete's point into consideration. Pete gets into more detail here (start around 14:06)

https://youtu.be/x2DMVu6CLZ4?t=846

His idea with national service is to help solve the threat of "social cohesion" defined by this presidency. The main points to take away:

• If not "Legally obligatory then a social norm"
  • Civilian or Military
This is not a proposal of a draft, or even being required to join the military. It is a suggestion to help people who may have a one-sided view of the world connect with those who may live a completely different life. I don't think anyone here would disagree with what he is trying to accomplish. Whether you disagree about national service, sure. But I cannot stand comments like those above.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pete is a neoliberal.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Pete is a neoliberal.
I mean, he's been throwing support behind the tax proposals Sanders/Warren/AOC have been churning out, said capitalism has been harming democracy in his lifetime, was the son of the world's leading Grimsci scholar, and has been criticizing the Dem leadership for following the Reagan consensus since he was like 18 years old, but sure.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Fair enough. I will not be posting much, mostly out of time, but I will provide some listening points.

These are perfect examples of drive-by posts that provide nothing of substance while never actually taking Pete's point into consideration. Pete gets into more detail here (start around 14:06)

https://youtu.be/x2DMVu6CLZ4?t=846

His idea with national service is to help solve the threat of "social cohesion" defined by this presidency. The main points to take away:

• If not "Legally obligatory then a social norm"
  • Civilian or Military
This is not a proposal of a draft, or even being required to join the military. It is a suggestion to help people who may have a one-sided view of the world connect with those who may live a completely different life. I don't think anyone here would disagree with what he is trying to accomplish. Whether you disagree about national service, sure. But I cannot stand comments like those above.
I get what you're saying. At least now you've given them an opportunity to defend their position. If they don't respond that's on them. This thread is largely the same dozen people beating each other to death. Characterizing "ERA" in a single swipe based on this thread is disingenuous considering that many, many posters have gone into great detail/nuance on their positions. Over and over. Better to focus on them.

Re: Pete and his National Service. I see what Pete is going for. I don't even think it's a bad idea, but him playing at the edges of making it obligatory is a bad look that's going to draw easy criticism from multiple camps. I think if he wants to push this kinda thing, he should lead off with, "It's voluntary!"

Status
Not open for further replies.