• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is ridiculous dawg. The entire point of the robert-francis jokes is the implication that he used his hispanic nickname in his political life as a cynical attempt to imply a hispanic background or pander to hispanic voters.
Bullshit. It's racist.

This is why the alt-right created it in 2018. They are mocking hispanic culture with the attack line and claiming Beto is faking being hispanic.

Want to be taken seriously? Drop the racist anti-Hispanic nonsense. How hard is it to avoid bullying tactics with a racial bent that the alt-right coined? This line started on the right, not the left, for a reason.

The idea that you think he goes by beto as a cynical attempt to pander is insanity. He has gone by Beto his entire life. He has never used the name Robert.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
allegedly the person who shaped the views you had in college

Essay contest entry or not, there's very little evidence that Pete gives a damn about any of the priorities that Sanders advocates for. Without the contrast of Pence, no one would believe Pete's anything but a moderate/centrist (and entirely oblivious to privilege).

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fucking yes. Yes it is. Lefties have been dunking on the 'robert francis' o'rourke thing since his announcement. So have standard right-wingers. Think like just a little bit before waving around the word altright you have any any meaningful sense of what that means at this point.

So you mean the DSA is scum too? Thanks for confirming.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
That's not what I meant - see my previous few posts on the matter.

It's lack of political foresight to wait until the last moment to make an endorsement when one of the candidates is allegedly the person who shaped the views you had in college + was a lot more in tune with the national sentiment at the time than Hillary Clinton.

That's being smart and showing sharp political calculus. Liking a candidate who shaped their future is fine, but he can do that and endorse without looking like he can't read the room.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit.

It's racist. This is why the alt-right created it in 2018. Not to mention he has gone by Beto his entire life.

Want to be taken seriously? Drop the racist anti-Hispanic nonsense.

you evidently dont know shit about altright nationalism as a concept, let alone where their talking points originate.

If you think "make fun of white man for trying to imply he's hispanic" is racist against hispanic people, you're a lost cause.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Chapo assholes calling Mayor Pete the name Buttchug is inherently more shitty than call Beto Robert Francis.

But I am not a 14 year old who loves lazy edgy humor so what do I know.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. It's racist.

This is why the alt-right created it in 2018. They are mocking hispanic culture with the attack line and claiming Beto is faking being hispanic.

Want to be taken seriously? Drop the racist anti-Hispanic nonsense. How hard is it to avoid bullying tactics with a racial bent that the alt-right coined? This line started on the right, not the left, for a reason.

The idea that you think he goes by beto as a cynical attempt to pander is insanity. He has gone by Beto his entire life. He has never used the name Robert.

Callate Robert.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Bullshit. It's racist.

This is why the alt-right created it in 2018. They are mocking hispanic culture with the attack line and claiming Beto is faking being hispanic. Not to mention he has gone by Beto his entire life.

As a side note, can you please at least try not to sound so angry and toxic in your posts?

You also always jump the gun on calling people racist, MAGA supporters, and just overall increase the toxicity here.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you evidently dont know shit about altright nationalism as a concept, let alone where their talking points originate.

If you think "make fun of white man for trying to imply he's hispanic" is racist against hispanic people, you're a lost cause.
You claim he goes by Beto as a cynical attempt to appear hispanic. Was that the case when he was in a band in the 90s? He went by Beto then too. How about his work in web design in the late 90s? He was Beto then too.

Or when he was posting on hacking message boards as a teen in the 80s...he went by Beto then as well!

As a side note, can you please at least try not to sound so angry and toxic in your posts?

You also always jump the gun on calling people racist, MAGA supporters, and just overall increase the toxicity here.
I don't think anyone here is racist, the attack line however has racist intent. People I think adopted it oblivious to its alt-right origins. The Robert/Beto thing 100% originated from MAGA supporters with racist intentions.

It's not a hard ask for people to not use attack lines created by MAGA alt-right types on The_Donald and 4Chan.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I feel like Chapo assholes calling Mayor Pete the name Buttchug is inherently more shitty than call Beto Robert Francis.

But I am not a 14 year old who loves lazy edgy humor so what do I know.

Chapo have been disappointingly influential in left wing circles. I'd take Michael Brooks having that influence any day, and I disagree with him on tonnes of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
this is ridiculous dawg. The entire point of the robert-francis jokes is the implication that he used his hispanic nickname in his political life as a cynical attempt to imply a hispanic background or to try and pander to hispanic voters

You can see that as a hacky dishonest argument (it is) without calling it 'racist' which it just factually isn't

So when has he ever said he was Hispanic? Or he has a Hispanic background, besides growing up in a Hispanic community? Hell, whenever he answers questions on his identity with issues he always points out he is a white guy and how that impacted how he experiences issues.

There is a racist element in it, that he is somehow betraying his own identity to use a nickname that has followed him most of his life.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
Answer me this, you claim he goes by Beto as a cynical attempt to appear hispanic. Was that the case when he was in a band in the 90s? He went by Beto then too. How about his work in web design in the late 90s? He was Beto then too.

Or when he was posting on hacking message boards as a teen in the 80s...he went by Beto then as well!
dude. I literally say in my post that I don't believe that. It's a shitty dishonest argument from people on the bernie left who are scared of him and from people on the right who are scared of him. Just because it's a hack argument doesn't mean that latinos are the butt of the joke. the point of the attack is to discredit him as a panderer, not to make fun of hispanic people. This isn't debatable.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a racist element in it, that he is somehow betraying his own identity to use a nickname that has followed him most of his life.
Hit the nail on the head. This is the intention behind the line when MAGA alt-right types came up with the attack in 2018.

There is no reason for anyone here to turn to alt-right MAGA attack lines, nothing good can come from it.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I don't think anyone here is racist, the attack line however has racist intent. People I think adopted it oblivious to its alt-right origins. The Robert/Beto thing 100% originated from MAGA supporters with racist intentions though. That is just a fact.

It's not a hard ask for people to not use attack lines created by MAGA alt-right types on The_Donald and 4Chan.
The problem here is that it's become a pattern in your posts to be overly aggressive and be a little too eager to paint people a certain way. if we want to keep toxicity at a minimum here, we should at least maintain a semblance of civility and positive debate, because reading this thread and seeing things like "Bernie Bros are like MAGA fans" or, conversely, "neoliberal centrist shills" is frankly mentally draining.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here is that it's become a pattern in your posts to be overly aggressive and be a little too eager to paint people a certain way. if we want to keep toxicity at a minimum here, we should at least maintain a semblance of civility and positive debate, because reading this thread and seeing things like "Bernie Bros are like MAGA fans" or, conversely, "neoliberal centrist shills" is frankly mentally draining.
I agree! It can be hard to ignore when alt-right talking points get thrown out though. I would expect and deserve to be called out if I used an anti-Bernie line that originated from MAGA fans that had anti-Jewish intent, 100%. I try to avoid anything coming from that side as everything from that side has horrid intentions.

I think the best course is both the Bernie fans and the non-Bernie fans both don't use talking points and attack lines aimed at either side that originate from the alt-right/Trump fans. Nothing good can come from it, from either side. And just feeds the right wing attacks on our party.

For those old enough to remember we saw it in 2008 where some Hillary fans online in the primary latched onto the right-wing Obama was born in Kenya stuff. We need to avoid that stuff happening ever again. Right-wing attacks can seem tempting when its against primary candidates we dont like, but it just brings us all down into the ugtter.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Essay contest entry or not, there's very little evidence that Pete gives a damn about any of the priorities that Sanders advocates for. Without the contrast of Pence, no one would believe Pete's anything but a moderate/centrist.
He has more aggressive ideas for democratic and structural reform to dismantle the GOP's unfair advantages than any other candidate. He's expressed support for the Green New Deal and Warren's wealth tax. He supports using a public option as a glidepath to true Medicare for All (which is not the same as not supporting Medicare for All, despite a lot of people trying to spin it that way). He's spoken at length about racial injustice, white privilege, reparations, etc. in multiple interviews. Yall need to get over this idea that anyone whose policy list doesn't exactly match Bernie's is a centrist.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
this is ridiculous dawg. The entire point of the robert-francis jokes is the implication that he used his hispanic nickname in his political life as a cynical attempt to imply a hispanic background or to try and pander to hispanic voters

You can see that as a hacky dishonest argument (it is) without calling it 'racist' which it just factually isn't
Was Beto ever genuily called as Beto before entering politics?

Sounds like a reverse Ted Cruz

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Beto ever genuily called as Beto before entering politics?

Sounds like a reverse Ted Cruz
He's been known as Beto since he was little. The only time he went as Robert is when he was sent off to a high school far away from home and he tried to go by Robert for a short time to fit in with the predominantly white kids of that school and to separate himself from his family.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I agree! It can be hard to ignore when alt-right talking points get thrown out though. I would expect and deserve to be called out if I used an anti-Bernie line that originated from MAGA fans that had anti-Jewish intent, 100%. I try to avoid anything coming from that side as everything from that side has horrid intentions.

I think the best course is both the Bernie fans and the non-Bernie fans both don't use talking points and attack lines aimed at either side that originate from the alt-right/Trump fans. Nothing good can come from it, from either side. And just feeds the right wing attacks on our party.

For those old enough to remember we saw it in 2008 where some Hillary fans online in the primary latched onto the right-wing Obama was born in Kenya stuff. We need to avoid that stuff happening ever again. Right-wing attacks can seem tempting when its against primary candidates we dont like, but it just brings us all down into the ugtter.

Agreed.

Oct 26, 2017
6rohh7qlu6q21.jpg

Nah he blows chunks. But I guess Donut Era will eat him up just as they did Kamala and until recently, Biden.
I've never seen a more perfect vignette of Twitter politics, right down to that username. Absolute perfection

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i think he says they've been calling him that since he was little. whether or not that true, that's entirely believable. tons of people go predominately by their nicknames and not whatever's on their birth certificate.
Its been proven true time and time again. He went by Beto in all his school stuff we have seen, as a kid, Beto in his punk rocker days, Beto in college, etc.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now maybe I follow the wrong circles, but where is "Beto is not his name!" a DSA talking point?

LigmaBofa

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 4, 2019
User Banned (Duration Pending): Junior phase account antagonizing other members over a series of posts
"Russiagater" "Endorsed Hillary in 2016" "Centrist"
My eyes roll infinite. Bernie endorsed Hillary in 2016 too, and is a Russiagater. Dafuq did these people expect to happen?

do you uh

know what a primary is

I'm also cackling at the number of replies I received to that laundry list of faux-pas on good ol' centrist Pete's part I posted that refused to address the vast majority of his incrementalist policies

This is why Era was like 70/30 on Biden before his sexual harassment receipts were aired. Y'all will gloss over Kamala being in bed with AIPAC, Hillary and her entire family being goddamn war criminals, Obama drone-bombing brown people or Biden fathering the 90s crime bill in the name of diversity, in the name of being on the right team. Grow up out of your shitlib tendencies because like 90% of this thread, of this forum in general, is no different than those cringey ass yas queen #herturn white wine mom liberals you see trying to tweet Trump out of office.

If you're not voting for Bernie in the primary, you're either a moron or despicable.

Last edited:

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

I think the continued breaking of norms by the GOP is starting to convince candidates that Republicans don't really play by the rules.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason that making fun of his nickname is funny is because his dad gave it to him on the off chance that he ever ran for office in Texas.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke. It was also a way to distinguish him from his maternal grandfather, Robert Williams.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/201...-el-paso-roots-may-key-uphill-battle-ted-cruz

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It does annoy the hell out of me when I see "Bernard" used unironically. I for one dont call Beto "Robert" or any other antagonistic names and I wish others would not as well. It does absolutely nothing helpful.

I love Bernard. Im a Bernard Brother after all.

w/r/t Robert/Beto, the most important thing to remember about him isnt his name, its that he married the scion of an extremely wealthy real estate mogul. The man is moneyed and because of that I cannot take seriously any of his claims to want to spend money on a better education system, a better healthcare system, increase taxes on the wealthy, increase spending on infrastructure, etc etc etc. Hes almost certainly going to be another means tested access to care Democratic Nothing.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do you uh

know what a primary is

I'm also cackling at the number of replies I received to that laundry list of faux-pas on good ol' centrist Pete's part I posted that refused to address the vast majority of his incrementalist policies

This is why Era was like 70/30 on Biden before his sexual harassment receipts were aired. Y'all will gloss over Kamala being in bed with AIPAC, Hillary and her entire family being goddamn war criminals, Obama drone-bombing brown people or Biden fathering the 90s crime bill in the name of diversity, in the name of being on the right team. Grow up out of your shitlib tendencies because like 90% of this thread, of this forum in general, is no different than those cringey ass yas queen #herturn white wine mom liberals you see trying to tweet Trump out of office.

If you're not voting for Bernie in the primary, you're either a moron or despicable.

Thanks totally not hateful crazy person.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you uh

know what a primary is

I am curious whose alt this is lol

Status
Not open for further replies.