• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's not how it works when you're trusting your staffers to do their jobs without making insane, terrible arguments.

She did not make that argument, her staff did in a case that would not have required her direct oversight.
I swear you've/we've explained this at LEAST a dozen times and he still is on his bullshit

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
right but like all her siblings are still like republicans to this day. which makes me think that she probably was ideologically conservative.

edit: 2/3 of her brothers are republicans

Her siblings aren't running for president in the Democratic primaries or have a history with being a Democrat. She's not ideology anything but on the left for decades.

He's finally replacing the people on his team who went to Beto.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how Bernie feels behind doors about all the stuff his supporters are putting out there.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pro establishment media attacks have begun on progressive candidates. Bernie and Gabbard under fire. Warren already being dismissed. Despite polling somehow under performing establishment candidates are somehow randomly favored by pundits in the media. Gonna be another fun one.

Despite media bias, I do think Gabbard's religious baggage makes her a no from me.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Pro establishment media attacks have begun on progressive candidates. Bernie and Gabbard under fire. Warren already being dismissed. Despite polling somehow under performing establishment candidates are somehow randomly favored by pundits in the media. Gonna be another fun one.

Gabbard isn't a progressive my goose. No one who criticized Barack Obama for not bombing people enough gets to be called progressive.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
And that's not even hitting on how she was anti-LGBT well after the ~The Establishment~ had moved into endorsements of Civil Unions as a compromise on marriage equality (which itself was mealy-mouthed bull, but Progressive Champion Tulsi Gabbard couldn't even be danged to go that little)

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Despite media bias, I do think Gabbard's religious baggage makes her a no from me.
Nothing says "progressive" like labelling queer people homosexual extremists.

It's a bold new era for progressivism!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing homophobia over a series of posts; concern trolling
Nothing says "progressive" like labelling queer people homosexual extremists.

It's a bold new era for progressivism!

Purity test much?

(Of course those comments are problematic, as I said in my initial post, as they were informed by her religious baggage)

Current positions matter more than previous ones (or does that only apply to candidate of choice??), But prior beliefs still should be considered, especially when arrived at by presently held faulty framework ( religion).

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Yeah, the establishment does fight back in invisible primaries, they're allowed to like anybody else. It's not a platform for the progressives to go all out without getting any consequences.

Pundits are allowed to have opinions, you don't have to agree with them.

Warren's fine, she's just out of the spotlight at the moment she'll come back when she's doing something newsworthy.

Gabbard deserves to be under fire, among all the candidates running she's the least deserving of the name progressive or Democrat. Between all the candidates the ones who should be taking her out of the game should be Bernie and Warren, she's sullying their reputations by association.

She endorsed Bernie. Its fine.

That reminds me of how the TYT reacted to Gabbard's running. She's just a different variety of progressive, everybody. Relax.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, the establishment does fight back in invisible primaries, they're allowed to like anybody else. It's not a platform for the progressives to go all out without getting any consequences.

Pundits are allowed to have opinions, you don't have to agree with them.

Warren's fine, she's just out of the spotlight at the moment she'll come back when she's doing something newsworthy.

Gabbard deserves to be under fire, among all the candidates running she's the least deserving of the name progressive or Democrat. Between all the candidates the ones who should be taking her out of the game should be Bernie and Warren, she's sullying their reputations by association.

That reminds me of how the TYT reacted to Gabbard's running. She's just a different variety of progressive, everybody. Relax.

The problem I have with the bias is that it is more insidious than in other places, for example, a large percentage of article info could be sourced by opposition research led by other campaigns. Without somewhat better transparency (while still protecting sources), this leads to an unequal representation of what is actually happening. As another example, we have seen so called journalists sacrifice integrity in order to maintain access. It's not just random opinions by random people. There are systemic biases that are not addressed when they are necessary context.

TYT has criticized her for comments though, and also for her questionable support of some autocratic regimes. Also, they were clearly more excited for Warren, who did not endorse Bernie. Hmmm. Maybe it's their actual policies they seem to champion??
Again, purity tests are a thing that centrists love to accuse progressives of, when in reality they are the ones doing it all along. Projection is strong sometimes.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Purity test much?

(Of course those comments are problematic, as I said in my initial post, as they were informed by her religious baggage)

Current positions matter more than previous ones (or does that only apply to candidate of choice??), But prior beliefs still should be considered, especially when arrived at by presently held faulty framework ( religion).
Are you fucking kidding me.

With a straight face, you're saying THAT is a purity test?

Lol

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The problem I have with the bias is that it is more insidious than in other places, for example, a large percentage of article info could be sourced by opposition research led by other campaigns. Without somewhat better transparency (while still protecting sources), this leads to an unequal representation of what is actually happening. As another example, we have seen so called journalists sacrifice integrity in order to maintain access. It's not just random opinions by random people. There are systemic biases that are not addressed when they are necessary context.

TYT has criticized her for comments though, and also for her questionable support of some autocratic regimes. Also, they were clearly more excited for Warren, who did not endorse Bernie. Hmmm. Maybe it's their actual policies they seem to champion??
Again, purity tests are a thing that centrists love to accuse progressives of, when in reality they are the ones doing it all along. Projection is strong sometimes.

Bias is everywhere, and they're better at reigning themselves in than the TYT or Chapo, who pride themselves on not being viewed as professional organisations. Majority Report has bias, too, but they're willing to come at angles neutrally and intellectually then those guys, aside from hosts like Ana. She may be up front with her views except she's in the Sam Seder mould of pundit. The articles with Bernie's '16 have had accounts with named people, both victims and harassers, it's not entirely protected sources - which are a standard in reporting anyway. You're conflating reporters on the streets with pundits, and while you're not incorrect this does make what progressive political operatives right like David Sirota. If the progressives want to play dirty, fine by me. We'll see who wins.

Progressives love to purity test the opposition, not themselves. We're simply pointing out the hypocrisy, going after Beto's ok but not Gabbard? She's not your side, man, she's just using the progressive label and Bernie's support as a shield. This is why Gabbard stands out, had she been a centrist or liberal I bet TYT would be destroying her right now, but she endorsed Bernie so she's one of them.

TYT weren't doing anything like that in that video, the first thing they say and repeatedly defend her by saying she's a "different kind of progressive." I've seen harsher rebukes of Gabbard from centrist shrills.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto - Voted ONE PERCENT more with with GOP than Nancy Pelosi when running state wide in a red state
Boiled Goose - What an awful centrist, how can you support him?

Tulsi - Calls gay people subhuman trash and uses anti-gay slurs
Boiled Goose - Hey hey hey cool it with the purity tests everyone.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me.

With a straight face, you're saying THAT is a purity test?

Lol

I would say any single issue is a purity test. The twist is of course I think purity tests are fine.

Usually though, candidates are a mixed bag, so you have to choose least imperfect. Usually it is pretty obvious who the better choice is.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hcrqMKt.png

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say any single issue is a purity test. The twist is of course I think purity tests are fine.

Usually though, candidates are a mixed bag, so you have to choose least imperfect. Usually it is pretty obvious who the better choice is.
How about gays are subhuman trash + I <3 torture.

Does that still count as a single issue or...?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

When it comes to Gabbard, it's literally everybody. Gabbard's not a candidate with one problem with policies, but with several and she has a worse transition from the GOP to Democrat than Warren.

2015. 2015, again. 2016. 2016, again. 2017. These weren't bad decisions made 20 years ago, which I can be convinced to ignore by her moving on. She's running in the wrong party, and is a disgrace to the progressive wing.

For those who don't know who the current Prime Minister Modi is.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite is when she was asked in 2016 about her past anti-gay activism and said she still stands by her views she just doesn't want the government to enact policies that dictate her persona views.

As if it's a'okay to hate gay people like she does as long as you don't make it against the law to be gay.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her siblings aren't running for president in the Democratic primaries or have a history with being a Democrat. She's not ideology anything but on the left for decades.

He's finally replacing the people on his team who went to Beto.

Yeah he is working with Ocasio's people. Nothing of value was lost tbh. Beto can keep them.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How about gays are subhuman trash + I <3 torture.

Does that still count as a single issue or...?

Both are single issues that IMO are valid purity tests to reject a candidate if they had such views. I certainly wouldn't be happy to support a candidate with either of those views.

Today Pro war, pro death penalty, pro private prisons, anti choice are also non starters for me, and of course there are more.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My favorite is when she was asked in 2016 about her past anti-gay activism and said she still stands by her views she just doesn't want the government to enact policies that dictate her persona views.

As if it's a'okay to hate gay people like she does as long as you don't make it against the law to be gay.

Good luck to her winning the primary if her views are still questionable on gay rights.... It's not even a major issue in the right wing anymore

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Only candidates we can say with any certainty that they have no chance are Tulsi, Bernie, Ojeda, and Castro. Everyone else has a fair shot.

Lol.
Current Polling and advantage from name recognition are huge in primaries. Plus you know, campaign infrastructure and experience.

But yeah. Ignore those factors and current polling.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Bernie can definitely win

Tulsi, Ojeda, and Castro though... They are long shots. And to be honest, because of Beto, so is Gillibrand IMO.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Only candidates we can say with any certainty that they have no chance are Tulsi, Bernie, Ojeda, and Castro. Everyone else has a fair shot.

Bernie would have an outside chance if he could somehow figure out the black vote. He has a lot energy behind him for a racially insensitive septuagenarian.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah he is working with Ocasio's people. Nothing of value was lost tbh. Beto can keep them.

They've scattered to the winds. They're on Warren's and other candidates campaigns, and many have transitioned to various political groups like Brand New Congress, the Justice Democrats etc. Bernie's going to have start from scratch almost entirely again, the more experienced cream of the crop from '16 are elsewhere. His past campaign's issues with sexual harassment isn't going to help him recruit or retain people, either.

"The frontrunner does not have a chance!!!!"

Front runners have the full backing of the establishment, and access to a war chest which overwhelms everyone else. This is why Hillary was the front runner in '16 and '08. Bernie has neither. The front runners for this election will either be Biden or Beto, Harris has an outside shot. Coming in second place is not a guarantee a candidate who runs again will be the front runner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.