• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I think he has a history of "walking the walk" more than anybody currently officially running, which voters (only sometimes I guess) care to keep in mind. I don't think any of the current candidates making a mad dash to the left from 2016 to now necessarily have that huge shift as an advantage when he's been there all along. But you're right that he stands out less as a result.

That's my appeal. He has been on the right side of history and has walked the walk all this time. Others are coming on board, but why go with someone that may be wishy washy to appease the current crowd when I can go with the OG.

I do think AOC will hold off on endorsement for the longest but it would easily go to Bernie if she had to choose from the possible candidates. I imagine the next orders would be Warren and then Harris.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Sanders will likely announce an exploratory committee in the coming weeks, followed by a rally. One major early focus will be finding a campaign manager and other top-level staffers who are not white, and preferably not male, in light of his problems appealing to minority voters in 2016 and recent revelations of sexual harassment by lower-level staffers on the 2016 campaign. Staff interviews have been quietly under way.

Interesting...

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russian psyop about Kamala Harris's racist run for DA
https://theintercept.com/2019/02/07/kamala-harris-san-francisco-district-attorney-crime/

Ecf9xiP.jpg

Hallinan had indeed taken a liberal policy toward crimes related to homelessness. He notably reversed longstanding city policy around arresting and charging panhandlers. He also sought to clear charges brought against volunteers who had been cited for feeding homeless people, an illegal offense at the time. In his advocacy for a new approach to homelessness, Hallinan went so far as to hand out soup to homeless people alongside volunteers from Food Not Bombs — one of the criminalized groups — outside City Hall. After winning the election as the city's top prosecutor, he dropped the charges against the volunteers.

It's a good read and shows how disgusting police elections are and to be perfectly fair to Harris it does show that she lightened up her stance some after she got elected.

After taking office, Hallinan's legacy could be seen throughout Harris's work in many ways. As DA, her office extended the light-touch approach to most medical marijuana dispensaries and promoted drug-diversion programs. Harris repaired relations with the police department but faced backlash from law enforcement when she declined to seek the death penalty for a gang member convicted of murdering San Francisco police Officer Isaac Espinoza in 2004.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is Bernie might actually just be exceptionally bad on this issue
Start digging into literally any campaign and you will find a disturbing amount of sexual harassment (like that Harris story). Campaigns are breeding grounds for it, unfortunately.

I'm glad that the women on the Sanders campaign decided to speak up about it but if you make the conversation solely about his campaign you clearly don't give a fuck about the actual issue or how to solve it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start digging into literally any campaign and you will find a disturbing amount of sexual harassment (like that Harris story). Campaigns are breeding grounds for it, unfortunately.

I'm glad that the women on the Sanders campaign decided to speak up about it but if you make the conversation solely about his campaign you clearly don't give a fuck about the actual issue or how to solve it.
The problems the people coming forward raised were explicitly not about the presence of harassment, but the lack of ways of handling it institutionally in the campaign. It is an inevitability- the problem was not that it occurred but the campaign's lack of ability to handle that inevitability.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The problems the people coming forward raised were explicitly not about the presence of harassment, but the lack of ways of handling it institutionally in the campaign. It is an inevitability- the problem was not that it occurred but the campaign's lack of ability to handle that inevitability.
And if you think that problem is unique to Sanders' campaign you would be a fool. Campaigns aren't built structurally to handle sexual harrassment well or any HR issues really. Hopefully this pushes Sanders and all candidates do better.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Then why are we still bringing up Hillary's problem with sexual harrassment when she's not even running, if that's just a thing that happens in campaigns. Or is that only when it happens to Bernie?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if you think that problem is unique to Sanders' campaign you would be a fool. Campaigns aren't built structurally to handle sexual harrassment well or any HR issues really. Hopefully this pushes Sanders and all candidates do better.
You are very much wrong on this. It is difficult, yes. It is not impossible, which is why you normally don't have a mass letter like the one Sanders got being sent after a campaign.
Then why are we still bringing up Hillary's problem with sexual harrassment when she's not even running, if that's just a thing that happens in campaigns. Or is that only when it happens to Bernie?
It's an exceptionally bad counterpoint because that situation was Hillary overruling her staff on a situation they had been handling correctly due to institutional procedures and controls being put in place!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
You are very much wrong on this. It is difficult, yes. It is not impossible, which is why you normally don't have a mass letter like the one Sanders got being sent after a campaign.

It's an exceptionally bad counterpoint because that situation was Hillary overruling her staff on a situation they had been handling correctly due to institutional procedures and controls being put in place!

His point was that sexual harrasment just happens. Apparently, it is just something that happens to bernie. I love double standards.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, there's not much else to talk about, since Sanders's campaign is the one with the big sexual harassment story. Are you suggesting I should be focusing on hypothetical other instances of sexual harassment that haven't been reported? How would I do that?

This feels like a pretty clumsy dodge to me. If attacking Bernie for his sexual harassment issues would open up all Democrats to being attacked for having sexual harassment in their campaigns than I for one strongly support it. If all the Democrats running have terrible sexual harassment issues that seems like something we deserve to know!

And, of course, if Bernie's issues are actually worse, that seems like something else we deserve to know. Right?

Sep 28, 2018
Really disappointed to hear about Klobuchar. Sounds DOA. Was looking for options outside Kamala Harris if need be, which may still be Gillibrand or Warren but neither seem to be gaining that much traction.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And, of course, if Bernie's issues are actually worse, that seems like something else we deserve to know. Right?
I am not. This letter is not something I can recall ever having seen before. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/30/bernie-sanders-campaign-harassment-1077014
Wherever men are sexual harrassment will be present. This is faux outrage to single Bernie out, especially since he heard them out and improved things with his campaign last year. You never seen this before because American society didn't give a damn about sexual harrassment for most of its history.

To add, the letter was not intended to go public. It's not like this is a mass revolt against Bernie due to his malfeasance. They wanted to address the big homie in private to improve the whole team. So nothing extraordinary happened that doesn't happen in everybody else's campaign, since the dawn of political campaigns.

Last edited:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The way you're framing this is disgusting and you should honestly be ashamed of yourself. Sexual harrassment isn't part of your horse race. I'm done with you.
I am not. This letter is not something I can recall ever having seen before. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/30/bernie-sanders-campaign-harassment-1077014
What that letter shows is these women were brave enough to speak up and tell their stories which they should very much be celebrated for.

I've worked on a lot of campaigns and I can tell you that every one I worked on had issues with sexual harrassment, things happening that were a lot worse than even discussed in that letter. Most campaigns don't have HR or any kind of system to report it. On top of that the people getting harassed are generally bright eyed young people who don't want to damage the candidate or potentially their careers by coming forward. You will never read a letter from 99.9% of them.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
When we talk about issues of harrasement like Hillarys I view those as worse since they intentionally protected abusers. Sanders issues were less malicious on his part and more having to rapidly ramp up a long shot campaign and not adequately structuring HR. Hes made moves to correct this issue which is what I like to see. Saying oh Sanders campaign didnt have proper avenues for dealing with harrasement when other campaigns benefit from being post me too and better situated doesnt really tell us who would be better on the issue as president.

OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The way you're framing this is disgusting and you should honestly be ashamed of yourself. Sexual harrassment isn't part of your horse race. I'm done with you.

What that letter shows is these women were brave enough to speak up and tell their stories which they should very much be celebrated for.

I've worked on a lot of campaigns and I can tell you that every one I worked on had issues with sexual harrassment, things happening that were a lot worse than even discussed in that letter. Most campaigns don't have HR or any kind of system to report it. On top of that the people getting harassed are generally bright eyed young people who don't want to damage the candidate or potentially their careers by coming forward. You will never read a letter from 99.9% of them.

So I'm disgusting, but you're the one who personally observed many episodes of sexual harassment and now believe it shouldn't be an issue discussed in the Democratic primary?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wherever men are sexual harrassment will be present. This is faux outrage to single Bernie out, especially since he heard them out and improved things with his campaign last year. You never seen this before because American society didn't give a damn about sexual harrassment for most of its history.
This letter came from his own staff signed by peoples from all levels of the campaign.

These were not people out to "get" Bernie! They were people very upset about issues they saw in the 2016 campaign that they wanted addressed.

The fundamental question this races isn't "Does Bernie care about harassment?" it's "Can Bernie effectively manage a bureaucracy?"

And yet we read one here, signed by people throughout all levels of the campaign. No one is claiming that sexual harassment isn't a problem on campaigns- quite the opposite, they're acknowledging its an inevitability in any workplace made worse by campaigning's temporary nature. Which is why a campaign needs procedures in place to address them. And yes, you are unlikely to hear from 99.9% of them (which is why the '08 campaign staffer waited till after the '16 election to come forward) which is what makes the staff letter even more extraordinary in the breadth of people coming forward. That '08 campaign had institutional controls in place that would have properly dealt with the situation had Clinton not intervened.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Several people who signed the letter said that their effort is not just about Sanders' 2016 or 2020 presidential campaigns, but rather about what they called a pervasive culture of toxic masculinity in the campaign world. They stressed that they hoped their letter would not be reduced to reinforcing the "Bernie Bro" caricature, but rather would be part of a larger reckoning among people who run campaigns.

"This letter is just a start," said one of the organizers who declined to be named. "We are addressing what happened on the Bernie campaign, but as people that work in this space we see that all campaigns are extremely dangerous to women and marginalized people and we are attempting to fix that."

I can't believe that BERNIE.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This letter came from his own staff signed by peoples from all levels of the campaign.

These were not people out to "get" Bernie! They were people very upset about issues they saw in the 2016 campaign that they wanted addressed.

The fundamental question this races isn't "Does Bernie care about harassment?" it's "Can Bernie effectively manage a bureaucracy?"

And yet we read one here, signed by people throughout all levels of the campaign. No one is claiming that sexual harassment isn't a problem on campaigns- quite the opposite, they're acknowledging its an inevitability in any workplace made worse by campaigning's temporary nature. Which is why a campaign needs procedures in place to address them. And yes, you are unlikely to hear from 99.9% of them (which is why the '08 campaign staffer waited till after the '16 election to come forward) which is what makes the staff letter even more extraordinary in the breadth of people coming forward. That '08 campaign had institutional controls in place that would have properly dealt with the situation had Clinton not intervened.
I'm not saying his staff is out to get him. I'm well aware of this story. Some posters here are predictably out to get Bernie is what I'm saying. Staff brings problem, problem got addressed, everyone involved agrees to tighten the Bernie campaign ship. It's disengenuous to single out Bernie, when sexual harrassment happens in nearly every single public space where men interact with women.

This was intended to be a private in-house communication and wasn't intended for the public, nor is it staff calling out Bernie publicly as some posters are pretending it is.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying his staff is out to get him. I'm well aware of this story. Some posters here are predictably out to get Bernie is what I'm saying. Staff brings problem, problem got addressed, everyone involved agrees to tighten the Bernie campaign ship. It's disengenuous to single out Bernie, when sexual harrassment happens in nearly every single public space where men interact with women.

This was intended to be a private in-house communication and wasn't intended for the public, nor is it staff calling out Bernie publicly as some posters are pretending it is.
Bernie is not being blamed for the presence of harassment on the campaign. It's a disingenous straw man being attacked that no one is actually arguing. If you disagree, please quote someone making that argument. Bernie is also not being singled out for having management problems. Amy Klobuchar is having a very, very bad day.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is not being blamed for the presence of harassment on the campaign. It's a disingenous straw man being attacked that no one is actually arguing. If you disagree, please quote someone making that argument. Bernie is also not being singled out for having management problems. Amy Klobuchar is having a very, very bad day.
Dude, you really don't get what we're saying here. Bad management by the candidate is not responsible for sexual harassment on campaigns and conflating that with Klobuchar's very direct and indefensible treatment of her staff doesn't make any sense.

I also wouldn't describe Klobuchar's actions as mere 'bad management', it's called abuse.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, you really don't get what we're saying here. Bad management by the candidate is not responsible for sexual harassment on campaigns and conflating that with Klobuchar's very direct and indefensible treatment of her staff doesn't make any sense.

I also wouldn't describe Klobuchar's actions as mere 'bad management', it's called abuse.
No, I get that you keep insisting that people are blaming Bernie for the presence of sexual harassment on his campaign after they're explicitly clear that they're not. He's responsible for having institutional support to try and deal with the issues when they inevitably occur, or the lack thereof. Not their inevitable presence.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
No, I get that you keep insisting that people are blaming Bernie for the presence of sexual harassment on his campaign after they're explicitly clear that they're not. He's responsible for having institutional support to try and deal with the issues when they inevitably occur, or the lack thereof. Not their inevitable presence.
The only reason the usual suspects are bringing this up is because it's Bernie. Notice how they were all quiet as ghosts when that Kamala story came out.

Donuts on twitter and certain people on this forum only care about the problem of sexual harassment on campaigns insofar as it hurts Bernie politically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pigeon

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason the usual duspects are bringing this up is because it's Bernie. Notice how they were all quiet as ghosts when that Kamala story came out.

Donuts on twitter and certain people on this forum only care about the problem of sexual harassment on campaigns insofar as it hurts Bernie politically.

This is the attitude — the assumption that nobody actually cares and therefore everybody who brings it up must have an ulterior motive — that leads to the continued normalization and acceptance of sexual harassment. I'm sure you were an asset to the campaigns you worked on.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the attitude — the assumption that nobody actually cares and therefore everybody who brings it up must have an ulterior motive — that leads to the continued normalization and acceptance of sexual harassment. I'm sure you were an asset to the campaigns you worked on.
Amorality is a perfectly viable trait to have in some peoples minds.
that's not an endorsement

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the L and try not to use victims of sexual harassment as a political prop in the future. I don't even understand how you can twist what I said into me suggesting that sexual harassment should be normalized and accepted. I strongly believe the exact opposite.

Based on the crass way you have broached this subject from the get go it's more than fair to suggest you have ulterior motives.
So I'm disgusting, but you're the one who personally observed many episodes of sexual harassment and now believe it shouldn't be an issue discussed in the Democratic primary?
Oh and I should have caught this before. I never said that I personally witnessed sexual harrassment on every campaign I worked on. Go and re read my post. Yet more proof that you're not interesting in having a good faith debate about this.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Eric Swalwell basically just did everything short of officially announcing his run on Cuomo just now.

He's clearly going for it.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Harris unveils California endorsements in home state show of force
Three-quarters of the state Senate Democratic caucus has now endorsed Harris for president.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/07/kamala-harris-2020-california-endorsments-1157651

The new endorsements come from 20 state Senate Democrats, including Senate President Pro Tempore Toni Atkins, and follow endorsements of Harris from three California members of Congress: Reps. Ted Lieu, Nanette Barragan and Katie Hill. Harris now has the support of 21 of the state Senate's 28 Democrats, 75 percent of the caucus.
In addition to Atkins, Harris announced support from state Sens. Bob Archuleta, Jim Beall, Steven Bradford, Anna M. Caballero, Bill Dodd, Cathleen Galgiani, Robert M. Hertzberg, Jerry Hill, Ben Hueso, Hannah-Beth Jackson, Connie M. Leyva, Mike McGuire, Holly J. Mitchell, Bill Monning, Richard Pan, Anthony J. Portantino, Richard D. Roth, Susan Rubio, Nancy Skinner and Scott Wiener.
Harris has also been crisscrossing her home state this month, picking up campaign cash at high-end fundraisers in Hollywood and San Francisco — two of the nation's biggest and most reliable campaign ATMs for Democratic office-seekers. Last week, Harris starred at two fundraisers — one at the home of Universal's Jeff Shell, the other at the home of David Cooley, the founder of West Hollywood bistro, The Abbey. This weekend, she'll be hosted by Susie Tompkins Buell, the San Francisco-based powerhouse Democratic donor who backed Hillary Cllinton and recently publicly endorsed Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.