• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Glad to hear it, I already ordered it but it says I won't get it until June 8. :(

Well done :) Good things come to those who wait. The wait is going to be worth it and you're gonna love it especially if this is your first late model XPS!

I'm having mine ordered next week.

EDIT: Also recommend getting high quality 3M skins. They not only add flair to your PC, they provide protection from scratches and scuffs. I personally use dbrand. Looks like they have the pre-order page already up for the new model. https://dbrand.com/shop/dell-xps-15-skins-9500

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
15" model is very appealing because it is like the size of a 14" laptop really while still packing high TDP CPU and performance and upgradable components that you don't find on thin and light laptops anymore.

Still I might just get Zephyrus G14. It is cheaper and has better specs but display is worse. If I could put a 16:10 screen on G14, it would be the best laptop. It is a hard decision.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
15" model is very appealing because it is like the size of a 14" laptop really while still packing high TDP CPU and performance and upgradable components that you don't find on thin and light laptops anymore.

Still I might just get Zephyrus G14. It is cheaper and has better specs but display is worse. If I could put a 16:10 screen on G14, it would be the best laptop. It is a hard decision.
Me too. The cost performance of the G14 is much better but the ghosting and fan noise are preventing me from being that interesting for now.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you mean this one?

www.apple.com

MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro with M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips. Up to 22 hours of battery life. The world’s best laptop display. Now in a new color: Space Black.
There's rumors of a refresh this year with mini LED screen, I believe

www.google.com

Apple Working on Six Mini-LED Products Including New 14.1-Inch MacBook Pro and Refreshed iMac Pro

Apple has six mini-LED products in the works that are set to debut in 2020 and 2021, and production is not expected to be delayed by the coronavirus,...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It also lacks a webcam. If you ever needed to skype or zoom call, you would need to use an external camera. This also means no Windows Hello if you want that feature.
I'm fine with that. Even with the terrible webcams in more premium options like the XPS or a Macbook Pro I'd end up using my phone or ipad pro lol.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Got a random FedEx text message yesterday said I would be getting a package delivered......5/22?????

I clicked the included link and it said it would be delivered 5/28, but I was able to log in and see who it was from....it was from Dell! It apparently shipped even though Dell's site has not said it shipped lol.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a 15" model, anyone have one that can comment on idle and video playback fan noise? I am consistently disappointed that I can't find a really solid laptop with decent performance that manages idle temps well passively.

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at a 15" model, anyone have one that can comment on idle and video playback fan noise? I am consistently disappointed that I can't find a really solid laptop with decent performance that manages idle temps well passively.

I have the new 2020 13" and was surprised how loud the fan is on it. It's not too bad just surprised. But I will say i love the laptop a lot

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
So for those who get it, they'll have to buy a usb-C to usb-A converter/hub huh! Same story with the jack. Man i fucking hate bullshit like this. They will always leave something out or just make it scarce (just to improve it the next time) for obvious reasons.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So for those who get it, they'll have to buy a usb-C to usb-A converter/hub huh! Same story with the jack. Man i fucking hate bullshit like this. They will always leave something out or just make it scarce (just to improve it the next time) for obvious reasons.
Headphone jack is there. There's an included USB-C to USB-A and HDMI adapter. Otherwise if you want more you will have to buy them.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Headphone jack is there. There's an included USB-C to USB-A and HDMI adapter. Otherwise if you want more you will have to buy them.
I meant about phones and the lack/return of jack port and the whole drama associated with it, sorry. My point is that the pace in which they try to get rid of current/old tech is not really at a good pace.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I meant about phones and the lack/return of jack port and the whole drama associated with it, sorry. My point is that the pace in which they try to get rid of current/old tech is not really at a good pace.
TBH USB-C isn't bad, while USB-A is on a ton of devices I'm not really near as upset about it as I was the headphone jack on phones. USB-C actually offers a benefit (namely the fast charging, orientation of how you plug it in not mattering, etc.)

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
TBH USB-C isn't bad, while USB-A is on a ton of devices I'm not really near as upset about it as I was the headphone jack on phones. USB-C actually offers a benefit (namely the fast charging, orientation of how you plug it in not mattering, etc.)

I got absolutely nothing against usb-C, it's actually great for reasons you mentioned. It's just that all of us still use regular usb-s for handy stuff (not counting cloud) but I still feel safer having personal stuff on my 256gb flash drive than keeping it on cloud and having to also keep a converter to get access on a laptop is kinda annoying. This comes from having to use the same converter that came with samsung s10. I had to access my files on my phone and it was damn weird using it in public lol. This is until usb-c flash drives become mainstream. Did a quick search meanwhile writing the post and I see that they're already kinda cheap lol. Well welcome new gen 😅 I won't delete the stuff I wrote lol.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Currently eyeing the XPS 15 myself, but I'm going back and forth if I want to splurge extra on the 4k display. Wish there was a way to get that with the i5 processor.

Loud fan noises are also scaring me off a bit...

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
These are available to order now for delivery in a couple weeks.

First review with benchmark tests is here, though I'm not sure how reputable Hot Hardware is. To a layman like myself the throttling seems pretty extreme but I'm not sure how common the test conditions reflect real world use.

Ever since COVID I've been holding out for a new laptop thinking this could he the one, and now I'm balking a bit at the price. If more positive reviews come out I'll feel more confident, I'm always skeptical when a product only has a single review for a whole before others are able to get theirs out.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
These are available to order now for delivery in a couple weeks.

First review with benchmark tests is here, though I'm not sure how reputable Hot Hardware is. To a layman like myself the throttling seems pretty extreme but I'm not sure how common the test conditions reflect real world use.

Ever since COVID I've been holding out for a new laptop thinking this could he the one, and now I'm balking a bit at the price. If more positive reviews come out I'll feel more confident, I'm always skeptical when a product only has a single review for a whole before others are able to get theirs out.

The overall specs and design are fantastic, but those benchmark and performance numbers make me feel like the Intel CPU is holding back the true potential of the chassis and cooling solution. It stinks that AMD chips likely won't show up until the line refreshes next year.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Got the 15 for work - upgrading from the 2016 model (which was upgraded from the 2013 model). I wanted the 17 but our Dell rep said I'd have to wait because those aren't available for business customers yet (at least us) for some fucking reason; told me to check the Precision line if I wanted a 17" right away and I definitely didn't want a Precision.

i7-10875H
16GBs
The 3820x2400 display
1650Ti

Glad I have a gel pad because with a bigger touchpad, resting your wrists/forearms on this shit while at a desk is even more uncomfortable than the previous model.

Other than that it's beautiful, sturdy, quick and everything I've come to expect from the XPS line. Using WD19 dock, driving a Dell U3415W display and it's working well.

xps2jpk82.png

xps3opk5v.png

xps1dmjww.png

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Got the 15 for work - upgrading from the 2016 model (which was upgraded from the 2013 model). I wanted the 17 but our Dell rep said I'd have to wait because those aren't available for business customers yet (at least us) for some fucking reason; told me to check the Precision line if I wanted a 17" right away and I definitely didn't want a Precision.

i7-10875H
16GBs
The 3820x2400 display
1650Ti

Glad I have a gel pad because with a bigger touchpad, resting your wrists/forearms on this shit while at a desk is even more uncomfortable than the previous model.

Other than that it's beautiful, sturdy, quick and everything I've come to expect from the XPS line. Using WD19 dock, driving a Dell U3415W display and it's working well.

xps2jpk82.png

xps3opk5v.png

xps1dmjww.png

Fantastic looking laptop! Feel free to leave your overall impressions as you have more time with it.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California

i7-10875H
16GBs
The 3820x2400 display
1650Ti

So jelly...mine is arriving on 8/6 but will need few more days for our IT to set it up. I'm also updating from a 9550 2016 model.

I also ordered and received my 3M laptop skins from dbrand. Little pricey but this stuff looks ace and also protects your PC from scratches.

Edit: my skins
1. Top: Dragon skin (black)
2. Bottom: Carbon fiber (red)
Logo: Matte color (red)

Top side
Bottom side

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So jelly...mine is arriving on 8/6 but will need few more days for our IT to set it up. I'm also updating from a 9550 2016 model.

I also ordered and received my 3M laptop skins from dbrand. Little pricey but this stuff looks ace and also protects your PC from scratches.

Edit: my skins
1. Top: Dragon skin (black)
2. Bottom: Carbon fiber (red)
Logo: Matte color (red)

Top side
Bottom side

Oh shit, I might have to get on that red for the bottom. Do you have a link? Thanks.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Finally got my XPS 15 laptop earlier this week. It's been a long wait but totally worth it.

Applied dbrand's 3M black dragon skin. It's got a really nice rough textured feel to it.
qPoWrfU.jpg

Close-up. Dell logo using textured matte red 3M decal
SYZWw6L.jpg

Backside: red carbon fiber. Looks gaudy when you flip it over like this, but it's not really visible under normal use when faced down (which was the intent :))
RFFUozd.jpg

Love the large, smooth, and responsive track pad:
NKEl6rB.jpg

Top side before skin application:
xRYR683.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Finally got my XPS 15 laptop earlier this week. It's been a long wait but totally worth it.

Applied dbrand's 3M black dragon skin. It's got a really nice rough textured feel to it.
qPoWrfU.jpg

SYZWw6L.jpg

Backside: red carbon fiber. Looks gaudy when you flip it over like this, but it's not really visible under normal use when faced down (which was the intent :))
RFFUozd.jpg

NKEl6rB.jpg

xRYR683.jpg

Really nice looking laptop! Would love to hear more impressions as you get consistent use out of it!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Really nice looking laptop! Would love to hear more impressions as you get consistent use out of it!

It's been only a few days, but so far no issues and it's very performant. None of the launch issues like loose track pad some users reported.

I also opted for 1920x1200 this go around since the 4K panel which I had last time, while pretty, was a battery hog and, frankly, for the size of the screen it's difficult to appreciate the pixel density. The 1920x1200 has no noticeable impact in terms of legibility in my view, and it certainly ain't blurry at all. It's great.

I also gamed on it for a couple of hours each with Destiny 2 and MHW/IB and both ran at solid 60fps using a mix of medium and high settings. Looks and plays great and super thrilled about it since these two are my current go-to grind games.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

qPoWrfU.jpg

SYZWw6L.jpg

RFFUozd.jpg

NKEl6rB.jpg

xRYR683.jpg
Do skins like this affect the laptop's thermals? Does it "trap" more heat?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Do skins like this affect the laptop's thermals? Does it "trap" more heat?
Not in my experience. I used the laptop skinless for a couple days to make sure there were no issues, then applied the skin last night. While not scientific at all, I can't discern any difference in terms of thermal dissipation capabilities. FWIW, my previous XPS 15 laptop that I used for 4 years had these skins as well, and it ran flawlessly all these years. Frankly it'd still have worked fine had the battery been replaced, but since this is my work laptop, I was due for an upgrade anyway. Plus the new GeForce 1650 Ti chip was also a significant upgrade coming from a 960M chip.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I just got the XPS 15 7590, I guess an older model.

Pros: That OLED at 4K beautiful.

Cons: it does heat up at times a lot :/

Yea that's the 2019 model. Still rock solid in terms of performance. But Dell just can't nail down solid quality control. The heat was an issue for me with the 7590 as well. I don't mind it hot but the fans going bezerk randomly left me constantly attempting to troubleshoot random out of control processes. I've been through well over a dozen repairs with Dell for various issues. A few of them fan related.

After another round of issues they upgraded me to the 9500 for free last week. I don't get how they made this thing smaller but a larger screen, lol.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
Have the 15 inch model and it's the best thing I have owned. Battery lasts for around 8-10 hours. The screen is gorgeous. Was pretty apprehensive about switching from a macbook to a windows computer, but I'm really happy with the decision.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Any 2020 xps 13 owner around? I need a new laptop brutally and have been looking at Xps 13 for a long time now. Although yesterday I read that the loud speakers are awful and sounds like tin can speakers!? Wtf Dell? Any truth to this? I'm not expecting a Bang and Olufsen but at least better than my Macbook pro 13 from 2009!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How are the plugs for the newer models?

It may seem like a stupid question but the older models had this really thin plug that basically broke within a few years unless you were really careful with it.