• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I hear about QC issues with the XPS line all the time. Not sure if it's just due to the numbers sold or complaints being particular vocal but it seems or seemed common.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Unless you bought a butterfly keyboard model*
I had so many problems, crashes, freezes and whatnot with my MacBooks over the last years, that I switched to Linux for work now. I don't know when I saw a BoD for the last time with my Windows PCs.

I still prefer a MacBook on the couch though, but not for development anymore.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I had so many problems, crashes, freezes and whatnot with my MacBooks over the last years, that I switched to Linux for work now. I don't know when I saw a BoD for the last time with my Windows PCs.

I still prefer a MacBook on the couch though, but not for development anymore.
Have had too many minor annoyances with Linux on my work laptop so I usually just dual boot windows.

honestly I'd rather use macOS and the new 13" mbp is tempting but those damn bezels. Also I'd miss the extreme minor gaming I currently do on my poverty thinkpad.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Have had too many minor annoyances with Linux on my work laptop so I usually just dual boot windows.

honestly I'd rather use macOS and the new 13" mbp is tempting but those damn bezels. Also I'd miss the extreme minor gaming I currently do on my poverty thinkpad.
the other side is always greener, until you switch sides :)

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
looks awesome!
i'll wait for reviews about the thermals and throttling before i buy, because previous year's reviews mention heat and throttling as big issues.
(plus the bulging batteries — yikes!)

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 2019 XPS and it's the best laptop I've owned, even runs Gears Tactics smoothly. The fan can make it sound like its about to take off though.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
If it's better then why didn't we stick with 4:3 this whole time?
I use my 12.9 ipad pro all the time and its wonderful with the 4:3 ratio actually. There's no way i could use a 13" laptop with its tiny 16:10 or 16:9 screen. Having a 4:3 laptop would be kinda bulky or weird looking but that's what Apple is doing with its $300 ipad pro keyboard. Who knows.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
New 15" vs. older 15". The power of thin bezels.

qDY1g8Z.png

This is what I love the most.
Might be time for me to go from 13" to 15".

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, I never thought I would want a 17" laptop again. Especially, one that's over 5lbs, but the XPS 17 just screams quality. Having a larger screen in a smaller body just seems great. Also, the RTX 2060 is an enticing option.

Edit: Wow at those prices though. They're definitely approaching Surface Book levels. Especially at the high end.

Last edited:

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
The arrow keys are one reason why I wouldn't buy one.

Another reason is that I'm sure it will develop coil whine like all other Dell XPS notebooks.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's live in Dell Germany, but I can't configure the machine properly. NO UHD screen for example even if the title of the configuration says so... I hope it's just some initial difficulties they figure out soon

What's the problem with the Killer Wifi cards?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man, I never thought I would want a 17" laptop again. Especially, one that's over 5lbs, but the XPS 17 just screams quality. Having a larger screen in a smaller body just seems great. Also, the RTX 2060 is an enticing option.

Edit: Wow at those prices though. They're definitely approaching Surface Book levels. Especially at the high end.
where are you seeing 17" pricing?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
2.098,99 € for the config I would want to get in Germany 🤔

The arrow keys are one reason why I wouldn't buy one.
I have no idea why everyone just doesn't copy the Thinkpad style of doing this (at least for me it's the best because I use page up / down extremely often). Just have a minor indent where the arrow keys are so you can fit them.

0gNeVRA.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm just extraploating the pricing for the 15". If you spec out the 15" with a higher res screen, 32GB of ram, and 1TB of storage, it costs around $2500. The 17" will definitely be more expensive than the 15" at any tier correct?
I'd assume so. So it's prob going to hit $3k. Does Dell still haggle? I assume it will be able to be had with some discounts.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But are the displays as aesthetically pleasing...
The thin and light Precisions are XPS 15 with Quadro GPUs. I don't think they are any different otherwise. I don't even know if they look different at all.

It's the same with Lenovo: you can buy the X1 Extreme with the 1650 or a P1 with a Quadro T2000 (or something like that).

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's better then why didn't we stick with 4:3 this whole time?
The initial move away from 16:10 and 4:3 at least was driven by movies and TV. 16:9 was the standard widescren format there, and it was significantly cheaper to also make PC/laptop panels on the same process than having a separate process to keep making other displays.

It never made any sense for productivity, and in laptops in particular you just get a bunch of unused empty space.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why everyone just doesn't copy the Thinkpad style of doing this (at least for me it's the best because I use page up / down extremely often).
The last generation XPS 13", all of the Inspiron 7000s, and Precision 7000s have those dedicated keys. They switched back the XPS 13" for this year, not sure why. I agree with you though, I have a much easier time navigating using my x230 vs my Dell 9560

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last generation XPS 13", all of the Inspiron 7000s, and Precision 7000s have those dedicated keys. They switched back the XPS 13" for this year, not sure why. I agree with you though, I have a much easier time navigating using my x230 vs my Dell 9560

You can probably use gesture, but I don't actually see why they cannot make a decent layout since it's a 15 inch without number keys.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a long near-month wait for this thing.

I'm hoping they magically update it to say it's coming sooner. There was a notice that shipments are kind of unpredictable right now.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Might bite on the 15 but waiting for some reviews. Want to see what thermals are like.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I wish they there was more of a visual comparison on the dimensions of the 17" model, so we could see how big it really is. If it's comparable to the 16" Macbook pro then I think the size is perfectly fine. The 15" looks absolutely fantastic as well, but the better cooling and RTX 2060 in the 17" has me leaning that direction.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Strongly considering it...do these laptops typically last a long time? And I mean in both relevance and working order.

XPS 15 is built like a tank. I have the 2015 model (9550) and still use it today, and there's been no damage or wobbliness to it. Aside from minor cosmetic scratches to the outer bevel area, it still looks, feels and performs like it did when it was new (aside from the tired 5-year old battery of course).

I expect no different from this year's model, and the new 15 will by my replacement.

EDIT: This is for my work PC and come with full Dell support

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
XPS 15 is built like a tank. I have the 2015 model (9550) and still use it today, and there's been no damage or wobbliness to it. Aside from minor cosmetic scratches to the outer bevel area, it still looks, feels and performs like it did when it was new (aside from the tired 5-year old battery of course).

I expect no different from this year's model, and the new 15 will by my replacement.

EDIT: This is for my work PC and come with full Dell support

Glad to hear it, I already ordered it but it says I won't get it until June 8. :(