• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Which part of it felt mediocre? The whole thing or something specific?

The songs weren't great and the show stringing the songs together felt a bit stilted. I'm not sure if that's a general pacing thing, weak writing or even directing. I admittedly didn't watch a lot of the first season so maybe it found its footing later. I was 5 or 6 episodes in when I just never clicked on the next one.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to assume they're going to retcon his father being some kind of scumbag who cheats on his wife. Or maybe they save that for the finale and kill him then at that point toon. lol

Of course the more interesting thing would be to blow up the show and introduce a divorce into the middle of it, along with his death, but it's a CBS sitcom so that would never happen.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
wow we're gonna be watching him grow up right before our eyes.

They've already grown sooo much. Think they're gonna have to pick up the pace...

I'm going to assume they're going to retcon his father being some kind of scumbag who cheats on his wife. Or maybe they save that for the finale and kill him then at that point toon. lol

Of course the more interesting thing would be to blow up the show and introduce a divorce into the middle of it, along with his death, but it's a CBS sitcom so that would never happen.
They started planting the seeds this season.

Aug 7, 2019
The songs weren't great and the show stringing the songs together felt a bit stilted. I'm not sure if that's a general pacing thing, weak writing or even directing. I admittedly didn't watch a lot of the first season so maybe it found its footing later. I was 5 or 6 episodes in when I just never clicked on the next one.

Watch episode 8, and by extension episode 7 for continuity, and if it still doesn't click you can bow out

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Either they'll humanize him, or they are going to make it something that Sheldon misunderstands. Old Sheldon describes him as a pure redneck Texan, but Young Sheldon shows he is a genuinely caring father that just can't handle a kid this advanced.

Damn, already cementing itself among the most successful spinoffs ever.
Six to Eight seasons is about the point where most of them end: Private Practice, A Different World, Melrose Place, Andy Griffith, ... but I don't think it will reach the true success of Family Matters, The Jeffersons, Frasier, .. And certainly never the likes of NCIS.

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Either they'll humanize him, or they are going to make it something that Sheldon misunderstands. Old Sheldon describes him as a pure redneck Texan, but Young Sheldon shows he is a genuinely caring father that just can't handle a kid this advanced.

I don't believe for a second that kid will grow up to be obnoxious ass like Sheldon.
The 2 shows dont even appear to be in the same universe. I feel like Young Sheldon should ignore the canon and be its own thing.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe for a second that kid will grow up to be obnoxious ass like Sheldon.
The 2 shows dont even appear to be in the same universe. I feel like Young Sheldon should ignore the canon and be its own thing.
His interactions with his teachers, I tend to believe he grows into the same kid.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They started planting the seeds this season.
Have they? Admittedly it's a more of a background show for me. No new potential love interest for the father at least.

The real issue is that they wrote the back story without considering the possibility of a prequel. lol
The reason I like Young Sheldon, comparatively, is because the characters aren't annoyingly flanderized like they are in Big Bang Theory. Someone could theoretically watch Young Sheldon first, then be told Big Bang Theory is a "sequel", and I bet that person would think that's insane.

Which makes me wonder if it doesn't just make sense to just ignore Big Bang Theory entirely and just leave out what happens to the father. Maybe it's something that happens when he's a teenager, so there's no need to show it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There will definitely a reunion limited series down the line if HBO wants to boost subscribers.
Beside Kaley Cuoco, none of the main casts seem to have much going on.
If they can convince Jim Parsons. Especially with him moving into production.

Which makes me wonder if it doesn't just make sense to just ignore Big Bang Theory entirely and just leave out what happens to the father. Maybe it's something that happens when he's a teenager, so there's no need to show it.
I don't think they'll ignore it, but the death is more likely going to be a season 7 thing as a final season thing. Use it to show his love for his father but also twist his mind a bit.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. lol
His interactions with his teachers, I tend to believe he grows into the same kid.
He's not mean in Young Sheldon, or at least not malicious. In Big Bang Theory that character starts off as an asshole and then they have the 10 seasons to try to give him the "Commander Data gets an emotion chip" arc. Similarly he doesn't actively hate his family in this show in the same way that he did on BBT, and in fact he seems to understand why he should at least care about them even if he knows he's smarter than them.

I don't think they'll ignore it, but the death is more likely going to be a season 7 thing as a final season thing. Use it to show his love for his father but also twist his mind a bit.
I guess we'll see. I really do think it'd be interesting for a sitcom to go dramatic - funny enough, I think being forced to kill Roseanne made The Connors a better show, but I also appreciate that they'll never do that here unless the actor playing the father ends up needing to be written off for some reason. lol

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Six to Eight seasons is about the point where most of them end: Private Practice, A Different World, Melrose Place, Andy Griffith, ... but I don't think it will reach the true success of Family Matters, The Jeffersons, Frasier, .. And certainly never the likes of NCIS.
I honestly leave out procedural spinoffs from the same boat as other spinoffs because they just reach really ridiculous heights (SVU, NCIS). That said, Young Sheldon sounded like a terrible idea at first, but they pulled it off.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. The CW's "Supergirl" final season premiere debuted to its all-time lowest season premiere ratings. The total audience for it barely beat out the season 5 finale, so yay?:

2021-Mar-30-TUE-Fast-Demo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-tuesday-network-scorecard-3-30-2021.html

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Superman & Lois always built on The Flash's lead-in audience while Supergirl lost viewers. I can't wait until Superman is back in May.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Have they? Admittedly it's a more of a background show for me. No new potential love interest for the father at least.

Still got another year or two before that needs to happen.

He's not mean in Young Sheldon, or at least not malicious. In Big Bang Theory that character starts off as an asshole and then they have the 10 seasons to try to give him the "Commander Data gets an emotion chip" arc. Similarly he doesn't actively hate his family in this show in the same way that he did on BBT, and in fact he seems to understand why he should at least care about them even if he knows he's smarter than them.

I mean, it's a completely different format. Things are exaggerated for bigger laughs in sitcoms.

That said, they still sowed the seeds in BBT that his siblings harbor some resentment towards him due to what happens when they're teens.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a completely different format. Things are exaggerated for bigger laughs in sitcoms.

That said, they still sowed the seeds in BBT that his siblings harbor some resentment towards him due to what happens when they're teens.
Oh sure, which is why I found it funny watching the two shows together when they were both still on the air. The Young Sheldon character is actually more advanced and mature than the adult version of the same character.
I honestly don't get the sense that their family is all that antagonistic toward him either.

I just wonder if they are going to even deal with that stuff, but I guess they have like 4 years to figure it out now. lol

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

They retconed his dad already in the final 2 season of Big Bang and earlier. Sheldon admired that his father was actually pretty great, and that he misses him. Big Bang and young Sheldon season 1 implies that his father death really messed him up and regretted not telling him he loved him before he passes away.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They retconed his dad already in the final 2 season of Big Bang and earlier. Sheldon admired that his father was actually pretty great, and that he misses him. Big Bang and young Sheldon season 1 implies that his father death really messed him up and regretted not telling him he loved him before he passes away.
Did they retcon out the cheating thing entirely?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Tuesday night's ratings. The CW's "Supergirl" final season premiere debuted to its all-time lowest season premiere ratings. The total audience for it barely beat out the season 5 finale, so yay?:

2021-Mar-30-TUE-Fast-Demo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-tuesday-network-scorecard-3-30-2021.html
I fell off all CW superhero shoes HARD a few years ago.

There were just too many of them and every one of them was getting stretched past the breaking point.

Supergirl was actually the last one I kept watching since my fiancé liked it OK. But I don't think we made it to the season with the evil Supergirl clone, I just remember that being in the finale of one of the seasons.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
RatskyWatsky when you getting on the April TV thread?

Also I forgot to finish my top ten post for TV shows 2020. Is it still open?

www.resetera.com

TV in April 2021 - What are you watching?

April showers bring May flowers or something, anyway Happy Spring! ~ Recent Highlights ~ The Investigation - HBO MAX Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan - Netflix ~ April Schedule Thursday, 1 Back - IFC Creepshow - Shudder Made for Love - HBO MAX Manifest - NBC - 8/7c United States of Al -...

yea

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Ordinary Joe’ Drama Starring James Wolk Picked Up To Series By NBC

NBC has given a series order to Ordinary Joe, its drama pilot starring Jimmy Wolk from House veterans Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner and The Batman writer/director Matt Reeves and his 6th & Idaho banner. The project, which co-stars Natalie Martinez, Charlie Barnett and Elizabeth Lail, is a...

how quickly is this going to be canned?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The untitled half-hour romantic comedy would follow the youngest Covey sister on her quest to find true love.

Jenny Han, the author behind the To All the Boys books, will co-write the pilot with Siobhan Vivian, in addition to serving as creator and executive producer on the potential series.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
deadline.com

‘Ordinary Joe’ Drama Starring James Wolk Picked Up To Series By NBC

NBC has given a series order to Ordinary Joe, its drama pilot starring Jimmy Wolk from House veterans Russel Friend and Garrett Lerner and The Batman writer/director Matt Reeves and his 6th & Idaho banner. The project, which co-stars Natalie Martinez, Charlie Barnett and Elizabeth Lail, is a...

how quickly is this going to be canned?
I don't think--oh, wait. James Wolk? It'll be cancelled before we know it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
deadline.com

‘Ghosts’ Comedy Starring Rose McIver & Utkarsh Ambudkar Picked Up To Series By CBS

CBS has picked up to series Ghosts, its single-camera comedy pilot headline by Rose McIver and Utkarsh Ambudkar, from Joe Port & Joe Wiseman, Lionsgate Television, BBC Studios and CBS Studios. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All Rebecca Wisocky...

Good to see Rose in another starring role after iZombie. She popped up briefly in Woke, but in a somewhat small role. CBS normally doesn't have shows that grab my attention, but I'll check this out for her.