• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This is kinda weird, but Hulu said it had 2 new The Great North episodes, and it says episode 3 is coming tomorrow, but episodes 4 and 5 were available right now.

It worked too, I watched both of them.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've been rewatching The Mick the last few days.

It getting canceled was a damn shame. At the very least it made it two seasons.
I'm still bummed about not getting a third season and seeing what'd happen after that finale.
TV Line actually did a quick interview with the creators of The Mick after the show was cancelled for insight on what season 3 would have liked like. It sounds even darker than the first two seasons.

Oct 27, 2017
How is NCIS nowadays? I stopped watching around the time they fought a legit supervillian, the dude that blew up the HQ using Vance's car

Honestly, it's clearly the weakest it's been. For a show that did such a great job replacing the female lead twice, they've really struggled to replace Tony. Also, Harmon looks to have aged about 5 years between last season and this one.

NCIS LA has easily been the stronger show for the past few years.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings:

2021-Feb-21-SUN-Fast-Demo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-network-scorecard-2-21-2021.html

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It's fortunately been pretty consistent this season, but hoping .5 is good enough for ABC in regards to The Rookie.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
First watch of The Mick. About midway through Season 1 and it's pretty middling. Have enjoyed A.P. Bio a lot more.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Dean Stockwell would be up for it beyond maybe one episode, he's in his mid-80s and retired some years back after a stroke.

Yeah, I just noticed he hasn't really done anything since 2015.

Didn't know he had a stroke. :(

I always said that a new series focusing on Sam's son or daughter foucusing on problems in the 80s to today would work well.

I believe he actually has a daughter. But yes, that could work.

Sam's daughter would always be motivated to also gain a doctorate in quantum physics to eventually find and save her father. So she would 'leap', just like her father, to bring him home.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Cartoon Saloon (Wolfwalkers, Song of the Sea) is making a TV series for Apple!

And we have a big series for Apple TV that's not really announced. But it's epic because it's feature-quality, hand-drawn animation across 12 half-hours, and then a big, hour-long special at the end, which is going to take a lot of work.

Per Deadline

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is WandaVision really worth watching, or is it just Marvel fans overhyping the hell out of it? I want answers from people who know and recognize good TV.
First season of The Mandalorian disappointed me greatly while Star Wars fans absolutely oversold it to me to the moon and back, so now I'm twice shy.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Is WandaVision really worth watching, or is it just Marvel fans overhyping the hell out of it? I want answers from people who know and recognize good TV.
First season of The Mandalorian disappointed me greatly while Star Wars fans absolutely oversold it to me to the moon and back, so now I'm twice shy.
I'm sort of a Marvel fan (I've seen all the films and most of the television shows) and I hate it.

It fails both as a Marvel show and homage to various eras of sitcoms. Bettany and Olsen deserve better. It's also the first time I've ever hated Kathryn Hahn in anything.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the latter imo, but it is more compelling than The Mandalorian given that it does have actual characters and scenes. I think if you're not a Marvel fan/actively engaged with trying to find all the Marvel references it probably isn't going to be something you love. The sitcom parody stuff is "cute" but not very substantive.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not watch an episode or 3 and see if you like it?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If you like MCU movies, it's good. If you don't, it's not. It's on the higher end of Marvel content, and on sheer production design, effects, acting, and concept it's head-and-shoulders than most superhero shows. But it's nothing that really transcends the medium, genre, or universe, and if you're not interested on pitch alone I don't think it would win you over.

And of course it's tough to say without seeing the last two episodes, as it's a "mystery box" type show and we haven't opened the box yet.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

Depend if you like MCU or not.
Wandavision is kind of opposite of Mando, very light on action heavy on plot and the acting is very good.
I know MCU is not exactly high art but Elizabeth Olsen should get some award nominations. She's channeling all kinds of characters for this show.

You pick the best time to bing it right now. The whole thing is very short, roughly 5 hours and it will be over next week.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If you like MCU movies, it's good. If you don't, it's not.

Depend if you like MCU or not.

Sure, there's MCU stuff in there, but honestly, I'd also add "depends if you like family sitcoms through the decades or not", as that was a huge element, and I think turned off a lot of people at the beginning. It's fun especially if you get the references and what they are trying to do, but I wouldn't blame someone that is unfamiliar/not into the whole thing, and find it boring or weird.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also add "depends if you like family sitcoms through the ages or not", as that was a huge element, and I think turned off a lot of people at the beginning.
The first two episodes have been my favorite of the whole thing so far. I can see it turning off people that have no nostalgia/memories for what they are mimicking.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Sure, there's MCU stuff in there, but honestly, I'd also add "depends if you like family sitcoms through the decades or not", as that was a huge element, and I think turned off a lot of people at the beginning. It's fun especially if you get the references and what they are trying to do, but I wouldn't blame someone that is unfamiliar/not into the whole thing, and find it boring or weird.

Decades of sitcoms are just window dressing and they do not overstay their welcome (no matter fan begs for more). Honestly I don't know if it's good or not, they are so short.

Like I said this is the best time to watch it right now. All the plots are coming together, you can bing it in few hours and decide if you want to finish next week.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

The first such project will be "The Society of Explorers and Adventurers," which Moore will write and executive produce. The series is loosely based on the fiction organization of the same name that is part of the Disney theme park lore. In the show, the themed lands and characters of the Disney parks and classic films all actually exist in another reality.

Moore is also said to be working with the Disney Imagineering Team on the other projects, which would amount to an interconnected universe similar to Marvel or "Star Wars" but within the world of the Disney theme parks, with Moore overseeing the franchise.

Not 2 days following our discussion on the last page and we literally have confirmation that That Darn Cat is part of the same universe as Swiss Family Robinson.

it

is

literally

happening

OMFG

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm a huge Marvel fan and I love it for many reasons - I think the homages they do to the old sitcoms in episode 1 and 2 are fantastic, and as it's gotten more into the MCU side of things I'm really intrigued into where it's going.

My wife isn't really into the MCU at all, but she's also really enjoying it because of the sitcom stuff. She grew up with those old TV shows and Nick at Night, and she also thought that WandaVision is doing them justice.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My fiancé isn't the biggest MCU fan (we watch most of them together and she enjoys some of them, but she barely remebers anything that happens in them) and she's not really a fan of WandaVision much at all.

Like others here she was a fan of the sitcom parts, but everything not related to that she bounced off really hard.

The 4th episode where it goes more real world she lost all interest in the show and didn't even finish it. It's filled with stuff that you need to have payed attention to the MCU movies quite a bit to understand anything that's going on or who the new characters are that they introduce.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
My fiancé isn't the biggest MCU fan (we watch most of them together and she enjoys some of them, but she barely remebers anything that happens in them) and she's not really a fan of WandaVision much at all.

Like others here she was a fan of the sitcom parts, but everything not related to that she bounced off really hard.

The 4th episode where it goes more real world she lost all interest in the show and didn't even finish it. It's filled with stuff that you need to have payed attention to the MCU movies quite a bit to understand anything that's going on or who the new characters are that they introduce.

Yeah...... I was wondering if I should give this a chance since everybody is talking about it, but I really dislike everything MCU. I guess it really isn't for me then.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest MCU fan so I haven't watched WandaVision yet (or the second spoder). I'm gonna binge it when it's done though. It looks different at least. (so far) Falcon + Winter Soldier and Loki look exactly like what anyone would expect an MCU series to look like.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's going to be crazy. It's good Apple is throwing money at it. 12 hrs of hopefully beautiful animation. Wonder how long that's going to take to release.

I know! It'll probably only be about 7 hours, but if it really is film quality animation, then that's like 4 films' worth of budget (idk how to tabulate budgets lolz) which is crazy. I'm glad Apple is funding them though. I wish Apple would make a deal with Laika to help keep them alive too.

Jul 4, 2019
Awesome to see Cartoon Saloon getting more work. Seems that Apple was happy with the Wolfwalkers response. In regards to WandaVision, I don't care that much for the MCU. While I found the first few episodes to be more interesting, i think the show is fine/okay.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

The cat is the descendant of one of the cats from the Swiss Family Robinson island that the son brings back when he leaves at the end of the series. This is part of the third phase of the Magic Kingdom Cinematic Universe, however, so it will be a while before it all comes into focus.

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if any of these nbc or even abc sci fi shows will ever take off, like i wanted Emergent too...and now i see Debris, and am like...will it take off or just be a one season wonder :(

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder if any of these nbc or even abc sci fi shows will ever take off, like i wanted Emergent too...and now i see Debris, and am like...will it take off or just be a one season wonder :(
At this point they should just plan for any network sci-fi shows to wrap up after 1 season, with maybe a small tease for a second season at the end for the 5% chance it gets renewed.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this elsewhere, but at some point that sort of thinking becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You also have to keep in mind these networks aren't a monolith. I've seen people talking about how NBC cancelled shows 5, 10, 15 years ago... None of the executives who made those decisions are the same executives who are making decisions on their shows right now. The best thing we can point to is that Manifest is going into a third season, and is also on the network. So, personally, I don't think it's as dire a picture as some people are trying to paint. Of course, I also just -want- to see a show like Debris succeed.

I also think, because of COVID screwing up the traditional season, there is actually probably a greater chance of the current/newly premiering shows being given renewals while the networks figure out their shit.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm not sure if I can really say because it's such a mix-mash of ideas. It's great as a part of the MCU as well as a homage to sitcoms. It's light on the action, but focuses on the acting aspects which is underrated in that genre. I'd say it stands on it's own fairly well on it's own and I think that's by design given it's the first Marvel product from Disney+.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I love old sitcoms and homages (and enjoy Fox X-Men) so in that sense I want to watch WandaVision, but I don't have any passion for that part of the MCU and Scarlet Witch is one of my least favorite characters so it's hard to swallow. All I'm really interested in is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier from their TV and movie slate.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is some overhype from MCU heads for sure.

All the people pretending like Darcy is some big leap in her character from the Thor movies when she is just doing the same science geek comedy relief routine again (and in the worst plot thread of the show).

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
It's nice too see mega thread about a tv show that everyone participate in etcetera. Netflix shows tend to fade too quickly. It's sad people is less and less talk about tv shows here.

Wandavision is approaching 20.000 posts and we are not even in the finale week.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I can really say because it's such a mix-mash of ideas. It's great as a part of the MCU as well as a homage to sitcoms. It's light on the action, but focuses on the acting aspects which is underrated in that genre. I'd say it stands on it's own fairly well on it's own and I think that's by design given it's the first Marvel product from Disney+.
I actually don't think it does at all. It is completely reliant on your knowledge of at least 3 prior movies, Further enhanced if you have knowledge of at least 3 others... And further enhanced still if you have knowledge of the Marvel comics involving these characters.

I seriously don't think anyone will get anything out of the show without that prior investment in the universe. Conversely, I could see something like Falcon and Winter Soldier working pretty well entirely on its own, without needing prior knowledge. Which makes sense, given it was actually designed to be the first Disney+ series from Marvel.

I say all this as someone who generally enjoys the MCU and has seen every released episode of Wandavision.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I actually don't think it does at all. It is completely reliant on your knowledge of at least 3 prior movies, Further enhanced if you have knowledge of at least 3 others... And further enhanced still if you have knowledge of the Marvel comics involving these characters.
Which movies do you need to have seen? I've missed a lot of the recent ones and don't plan on watching them

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

I seriously don't think anyone will get anything out of the show without that prior investment in the universe. Conversely, I could see something like Falcon and Winter Soldier working pretty well entirely on its own, without needing prior knowledge. Which makes sense, given it was actually designed to be the first Disney+ series from Marvel.

I say all this as someone who generally enjoys the MCU and has seen every released episode of Wandavision.
It basically boils down to a woman in grief. That's a common trail in plenty of shows.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
FATWS was scheduled to be the first MCU show. But it had long delay because the pandemic and locations shooting in Europe.
Wandavision was finished sooner. D+ cant wait half a year to have a hit show after Mandalorian S2.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which movies do you need to have seen? I've missed a lot of the recent ones and don't plan on watching them
Avengers: Infinity War + Endgame, then to a slightly lesser extent Age of Ultron, are the big ones. But also (to varying degrees, for various reasons): Civil War, Thor: The Dark World, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and the Wasp (so far)
It basically boils down to a woman in grief. That's a common trail in plenty of shows.
I disagree. I mean, yes that is what is happening at a very base level (or so it seems), but the show is entirely and absolutely about referencing and continuing other Marvel storylines rather than any sort of deep character study of a woman in grief.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
For great Elizabeth Olsen show about woman in grief, please try Sorry for Your Loss! 🤗

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
WandaVision is the first show in a long time(maybe since GoT or LOST) i've counted the days till a new episode came out. I loved the first episode being a big fan of the Dick van Dyke show. It does lead itself more to people who are into MCU, but its been a fun ride so far. It's been fun to read all the theories people are coming up with to explain things.