• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 4, 2019
True Detective potentially from Sam Levinson.

deadline.com

‘True Detective’: HBO In Talks With Writers For Fourth Season, Keen To Find New Voices For Dark Crime Series

A fourth iteration of True Detective may well be on the cards with HBO in talks with new writers to bring the dark crime series back. The show, which was created and written by Nic Pizzolatto, ran for three seasons between 2014 and 2019. Casey Bloys, chief content officer at HBO and HBO Max...

deadline.com

HBO Hopeful Of Season 2 Of ‘Lovecraft Country’ As Misha Green & Writers Plan New Journey

Misha Green, showrunner of Lovecraft Country, had Matt Ruff’s book to help guide the first season of the HBO fantasy drama. Now, she and a small team of writers are working out what the next journey for characters including Leti, Montrose, Hippolyta and Ji-ah may look like. The series has not...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
" He also wrote a Star Wars live-action series for ABC and George Lucas in 2013 that never moved forward. The Disney pact could afford Moore an opportunity to revisit the idea of writing for Star Wars. "

👀

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

Make sense that Sony is struggle keeping their showrunners, with other streaming services throw mega deals like candy.

For Sony, Moore becomes the latest showrunner to depart. Sony faces an uphill battle as an independent studio in an era where networks and streamers are vertically aligned with their in-house studios as ownership continues to be paramount. Moore joins the likes of Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Preacher), Adam F. Goldberg (The Goldbergs) and David Caspe (Happy Endings), who have decamped Sony TV in the past few years. In a bid to offset those departures, Sony TV has been aggressive in competing for other top showrunners and has signed deals with Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Spider-Man, The Lego Movie) and Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon (Homeland) while maintaining a stable that includes Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad).

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Though it's behind a paywall The Information has an interesting article up on NBC/Universal claiming that the Peacock is performing poorly and that several executives have been talking up a possible merger with the likes of WarnerMedia in the next couple of years.

The article apparently says that before Jeff Shell took charge of NBC/Universal he was telling colleagues that they "would need to" merge with another big media player like WarnerMedia in order to achieve the scale needed to really compete in the streaming wars.

As Netflix and Disney cement their leads over an array of rivals in the video-streaming market, top executives at Comcast and its NBCUniversal arm are in a quandary. Only 11.3 million households regularly watch NBCU's Peacock service, far fewer than use competing services, according to recent internal data viewed by The Information. NBCU wants to ramp up Peacock's growth, particularly among paying users, but without spending a lot of money.

The data also suggests that Peacock's priciest $9.99 tier that doesn't carry ads only drew 4% of people signing up to use Peacock. Most viewers watch either the free tier or the $5 a month tier with some ads.

So basically Comcast boasted that they had 33 million sign-ups but only a third of them are actually watching the service regularly and of those sign-ups less than 1.5 million seem to have signed up for the 'premium', ad free tier.

While I obviously cannot confirm those numbers I had heard before Xmas that Peacock were telling producers coming in to pitch and what have you that they were really only in the market for 'cheaper' half hour comedies and reality shows because they saw most of the growth in the platform in its ad free tier so they were working to lower margins.

I imagine that they'll still produce 'big swings' for Peacock from Universal but, as the article says, they are clearly working to a much lower budget than anyone else because they don't want to detract from their cable business (what there is of it) and a reliance on the ad supported free tier.

www.theinformation.com

NBCUniversal’s Streaming Strategy Raises Prospect of WarnerMedia Merger

As Netflix and Disney cement their leads over an array of rivals in the video-streaming market, top executives at Comcast and its NBCUniversal arm are in a quandary. Only 11.3 million households regularly watch NBCU’s Peacock service, far fewer than use competing services, according to recent ...

Man, that feels like a HUGE loss for Sony. While there is always churn when it comes to studio's and their various talent deals it feels like Sony loose two or three big deals for everyone one that they manage to bring in to replace them. I imagine it's a mix of aggressive cost cutting at Sony (yes, still) and the fact that it can be harder for an 'indie' studio like Sony to really big swings set up at emerging platforms or even get good deals.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Given that Peacock only just bought 5-year-exclusive WWE streaming I don't think they're giving up on it any time soon.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Who could've predicted Peacock would be a flop, other than everyone with a brain.

It was the 'one foot in, one foot out' approach that made next to no sense to anyone. If Netflix has shown us anything about the streaming wars its that you have to jump in with both feet and NBC/Universal made a half hearted effort of Peacock from the very beginning.

Given that Peacock only just bought 5-year-exclusive WWE streaming I don't think they're giving up on it any time soon.

I don't think that they'll 'QuiBi it' but, if they haven't already, Comcast could just let Peacock sort of 'sit on the shelf' as is without any big investments if they don't see it really competing in the streaming wars. Essentially it would become a glorified add-on for their various cable and ISP subs if it isn't already.

How can Peacock flop? It has The Office (and nothing else)

I think NBC/U put far to much faith into those 'Office on Netflix' viewing numbers and thought that it would be enough to launch a new platform on the cheap. Now that they realise that it isn't enough there's not much, albeit in the middle of a pandemic, that they can do to try and turn it around.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think that they'll 'QuiBi it' but, if they haven't already, Comcast could just let Peacock sort of 'sit on the shelf' as is without any big investments if they don't see it really competing in the streaming wars. Essentially it would become a glorified add-on for their various cable and ISP subs if it isn't already.
I mean, that's what I meant though. They just spent a billion dollars for those 5-year streaming rights, hardly chump change.

(not that I think it was a wise investment to pay that much for what boils down to roughly 1 million paid subs domestic)

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. The CW's "Riverdale" and "Nancy Drew" dropped hard. I wonder if they'll reach a 0.0 soon:

2021-Feb-10-WED-Fast-Demo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-wednesday-network-scorecard-2-10-2021.html

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Not surprised that Peacock is struggling early on with their sparse lineup. You have to justify subscribing to your service every month and not wanting to spend money isn't a great way to pump out content.

On the merger tip, I'm surprised that Viacom hasn't rolled Showtime into Paramount+, as it would make it a more attractive service. Showtime by itself doesn't seem to have the juice it had say a few years ago with it was the little brother fighting big brother HBO.

Oct 25, 2017
ANd some sports, I guess it could be beneficial

i think we're just at the point where its kind of too late to be starting a new service.

unless you have some franchise you can just keep making spinoffs of (disney and marvel spinoffs and stars wars...no one really talks about anything else, imo) then no ones gonna stick around and pay

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man, that feels like a HUGE loss for Sony. While there is always churn when it comes to studio's and their various talent deals it feels like Sony loose two or three big deals for everyone one that they manage to bring in to replace them. I imagine it's a mix of aggressive cost cutting at Sony (yes, still) and the fact that it can be harder for an 'indie' studio like Sony to really big swings set up at emerging platforms or even get good deals.

Also some of the streamers talent deals are bluntly crazy, and can only be justified financially on the basis of going "got to spend to grow the service" as a mantra meaning nobody is actually thinking about if this deal makes the company money.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think it's cost cutting considering it says in the article that Sony offered a more lucrative deal but Moore opted to sign with 20th TV to pursue his longtime passion for Disney.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
www.ign.com

IGN Fan Fest 2021: New Virtual Event Lineup Revealed - IGN

Save the date(s): IGN is excited to bring you a whole new way to celebrate all of your favorite games, movies and TV series: IGN Fan Fest. The full lineup includes exclusive new looks at Deathloop, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Invincible, and even a Batman Beyond cast reunion and table read!

Jupiter's Legacy being included in this, makes me thing the series could be close to coming out in the next few months. Curious to see how it turns out considering all the behind the scenes issues.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Brooklyn Nine-Nine's eighth season will be its last. Just ten episodes too.

Brooklyn Eight-Eight.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
|OT| Brooklyn Nein-Nein

Given the progress of things, it did seem the series was ready to wind down anyhow.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
between all the police shit in NA last year and the fact that 8 seasons is very respectable run, im not shocked in the slightest. Not even upset by it either, and im the biggest B99 fan you'll find.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

Brooklyn Nine-Nine's eighth season will be its last. Just ten episodes too.

Brooklyn Eight-Eight.

Lol. That's good. We should change the title to "Brooklyn Eight-Eight."

That sucks that the show is ending since it won't get to "nine-nine" seasons but it is time. They don't really have much else to do, plus with everything that's going on in the country, it's the right call.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Netflix, Disney+ and Hulu are the best combo right now.
If I could, I replace Netflix with HBO Max. But since I'm leeching my best friend and his husband all of that services and spotify and gamepass.I cant be too greedy to ask them to change lol.