• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Equalizer is pretty standard, but I am digging it. Great throwback to 80s shows

Oct 28, 2017
The show will be worse off with Neil Druckmann involved. He should be a producer and that's it. I've not been impressed with Naughty Dog's storytelling, through granted I haven't played the most recent Last of Us.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am just kidding. I follow tv promos channel on youtube. They reupload all of these trailers pretty fast.

Kind of baffling, CBS still regional locked their trailers. Do they want international audience for their shows or not?
They're serious stupid, especially with P+ launching internationally.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally a fan-created front page of the pilot script. Neither HBO nor anyone involved shared that or are promoting The Last of Us as 'coming soon' so don't read anything into it. It's just a fan account trying to create excitement and attention.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Odd to see the kid from Young Sheldon (yes, the Sheldon titular I suppose) feature in the Paramount Plus advert when the series is apparently streaming exclusively on HBO Max.

Are they talking up the streaming 'catch-up' rights for network series in a Superbowl advert when another platform has the SVOD rights?

That feels like a bit of a red flag to me......

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Odd to see the kid from Young Sheldon (yes, the Sheldon titular I suppose) feature in the Paramount Plus advert when the series is apparently streaming exclusively on HBO Max.

Contracts probably expiring soon then? I'm curious about all of the Comedy Central content on HBO as well, as I can see all of those going bye-bye and heading over to P+ permanently.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Contracts probably expiring soon then? I'm curious about all of the Comedy Central content on HBO as well, as I can see all of those going bye-bye and heading over to P+ permanently.

I'm sure HBO Max' getting South Park was a five year deal and I seriously doubt that the deal Viacom struck with the platform for the likes of The Other Two lasts a matter of months rather than years, I wouldn't be surprised if that was 5 years too seeing as they are being labelled as 'Max Originals'.

Though whether Paramount TV development projects that HBO Max signed up such as Last Of The Mohicans and Snowcrush stay with the platform or somehow end up back at P+ remains to be seen.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I remember hearing one of the Paramount+ execs talking about how they have a different strategy, and they were okay with licensing out some of their hits out to rival services (I'm guessing because the $$ is really good). Personally I think doing so gives me one lesson reason to check out your service if I can watch something on a streamer I already pay for, but that seems to be their strategy early on.

If all the Super Bowl ads enticed you, they are doing a deal where you can sign up for a year at a reduced rate

thestreamable.com

DEAL ALERT: Get 50% OFF Paramount Plus For An Entire Year With This Promo Code, If You Sign-Up Before Launch

CBS All Access is becoming Paramount+ in March and they’re offer new and returning CBS All Access subscribers a huge discount when they pre-order the service. Until March 4th, you can get 50% OFF the Paramount+ …

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Still surprising to me that Fox is the only broadcast network that has been able to crack animation. Premise sounds interesting.

tvline.com

Fox Orders Ancient Greece Cartoon From Rick and Morty‘s Dan Harmon

Fox is heading to mythical ancient Greece by way of a new animated series from Emmy-winning Rick and Morty creator Dan Harmon. In development since June and now on track for a 2022 premiere, the animated comedy follows “a flawed family of humans, gods and monsters that tries to run one of the...

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I had to check what the hell was Gabby's Dollhouse was and it's basically a Nick Jr show

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Cobra Kai’ Overtakes ‘Bridgerton’ in Nielsen Streaming Rankings

'Cobra Kai' and 'Bridgerton' remained well ahead of the rest of the streaming field in Nielsen's rankings for Jan. 4-10.

Original Series

1. Cobra Kai (Netflix), 2.11 billion minutes viewed
2. Bridgerton (Netflix), 1.67 billion
3. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix), 768 million
4. The Crown (Netflix), 494 million
5. Virgin River (Netflix), 475 million
6. The Mandalorian (Disney+), 411 million
7. The Queen's Gambit (Netflix), 392 million
8. Gabby's Dollhouse (Netflix), 380 million
9. The Great British Baking Show (Netflix), 323 million
10. History of Swear Words (Netflix), 314 million

Acquired Series

1. Criminal Minds (Netflix), 842 million minutes
2. Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 704 million
3. Schitt's Creek (Netflix), 651 million
4. Cocomelon (Netflix), 612 million
5. Mariposa de Barrio (Netflix), 548 million
6. Supernatural (Netflix), 526 million
7. New Girl (Netflix), 427 million
8. NCIS (Netflix), 418 million
9. Imposters (Netflix), 273 million
10. The Blacklist (Netflix), 264 million

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, uhh, last night's preliminary ratings never came out. Showbuzzdaily was expecting them at 11am ET, then 2:30pm ET, but now it's 5:30pm ET and we still don't have them. So if we get them later tonight, then someone can post them, otherwise I'll just post (what'll likely be) the final ratings whenever they come out tomorrow.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished reading The Golden Compass last night, can I safely watch the first season of His Dark Materials without getting spoiled on stuff in the sequel books?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished reading The Golden Compass last night, can I safely watch the first season of His Dark Materials without getting spoiled on stuff in the sequel books?
no

the first season has stuff from the second book and apparently some stuff from the sequel trilogy too
To clarify: Season 1 definitely starts one of the plot threads of Book 2 fairly early on. It also has some added backstory (which is from Book 4).

If you don't want to be spoiled by anything in the books, you need to read the first 4 books before watching season 1. If you don't mind being spoiled by the "new" backstory information in book 4, you just need to read Book 1 and 2 prior to watching Season 1.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify: Season 1 definitely starts one of the plot threads of Book 2 fairly early on. It also has some added backstory (which is from Book 4).

If you don't want to be spoiled by anything in the books, you need to read the first 4 books before watching season 1. If you don't mind being spoiled by the "new" backstory information in book 4, you just need to read Book 1 and 2 prior to watching Season 1.

So how many books are there?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how many books are there?
The Original Trilogy:

1. Northern Lights AKA The Golden Compass
2. The Subtle Knife
3. The Amber Spyglass

The Sequel Trilogy:

4. La Belle Sauvage (A prequel)
5. The Secret Commonwealth (The first true sequel)
6. The Garden of Roses (Not yet released)

There's also 3 Novellas that have been released:

Lyra's Oxford - Set two years after Book 3
Once Upon a Time In The North - A prequel story focused on Lee Scorsby (Lin-Manuel Miranda's character)
Serpentine - Set between book 3 and 5

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The Original Trilogy:

1. Northern Lights AKA The Golden Compass
2. The Subtle Knife
3. The Amber Spyglass

The Sequel Trilogy:

4. La Belle Sauvage (A prequel)
5. The Secret Commonwealth (The first true sequel)
6. The Garden of Roses (Not yet released)

There's also 3 Novellas that have been released:

Lyra's Oxford - Set two years after Book 3
Once Upon a Time In The North - A prequel story focused on Lee Scorsby (Lin-Manuel Miranda's character)
Serpentine - Set between book 3 and 5

Thank you. So quite a few books.

Is it a good series?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is it a good series?
I enjoyed the original trilogy, but I read it when I was much younger. I think the current TV series was only so-so and somewhat rushed, but I only watched the first season. I can't comment on the newer books or season two.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Michael B. Jordan's Alexa Super Bowl commercial heralds a deepening association with Amazon and its production and streaming arm Amazon Studios. Jordan, whose Outlier Society TV deal had been at Amazon Studios, has made a new deal that has an exclusive overall pact for television, and a new first look film deal to produce and acquire elevated films that reflect Outlier's desire to showcase diverse filmmaking talent for Amazon's growing original movies slate.

At the same time, Jordan and Amazon Studios Head Jennifer Salke tell Deadline they will turn the life of Muhammad Ali into a limited series that Outlier Society will Executive Produce with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. Ali's estate is also involved. The series is being written by Josh Wakely. While Jordan certainly has the ring savvy to play the part, he is too closely associated with his Creed franchise character Adonis Johnson and will find another actor.

deadline.com

FX To Pilot ‘The Spook Who Sat By The Door’ From Lee Daniels, Leigh Dana Jackson & Gerard McMurray

FX is moving forward with its adaptation of The Spook Who Sat By the Door – ordering a pilot for the project. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All The project, which is exec produced by Lee Daniels, was written by Foundation and Raising Dion co-exec...
FX is moving forward with its adaptation of The Spook Who Sat By the Door – ordering a pilot for the project.

The project, which is exec produced by Lee Daniels, was written by Foundation and Raising Dion co-exec producer Leigh Dana Jackson and will be directed by The Twilight Zone and The First Purge director Gerard McMurray.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This was buried in an article on Deadline but is interesting none the less.....

The CW already is forging deeper ties with WarnerMedia's HBO Max, which has emerged as the current SVOD library home of new CW series. The two companies also are discussing co-financing original summer CW series to premiere on the streamer with a next-day airing on the broadcast network.

It seems the days of bringing in cheap Canadian imports like Outpost and Pandora for the CW's summer schedule could largely be over. I imagine that this move will allow the economics of The CW premiering the likes of The 100 spin-off or other 'prime time' shows in a summer slot to make sense rather than suddenly giving the CW $10 million an hour dramas like some have speculated.

Between this and the talk that The CW could be green-lighting and debuting some series on the CW mobile app before moving them to the network it shows that the channel could be expanding its programming footprint rather than shrinking it, albeit with lower budget shows compared to other broadcast networks never mind the streamers.

deadline.com

The CW, TNT & TBS To Cross-Air Encores Of ‘Superman & Lois’ & ‘Go-Big Show’ As CW Expands WarnerMedia & ViacomCBS Corporate Collaborations

The CW Network and its ad-supported cable sibling on the WarnerMedia side, TBS and TNT, have teamed up to give two tentpole new series an extra promotional boost with a one-episode cross-network rebroadcasts. On Feb. 27 at 9 PM, TNT will air an encore presentation of the premiere of The CW’s...

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
no

the first season has stuff from the second book and apparently some stuff from the sequel trilogy too

Thanks. I did watch about 20 minutes of the first episode. Gonna stay away from the store for now as I got the 2nd book on the way.

Is it a good series?
First book wasn't that good. Gave it a 2 out of 5. Felt it was more of a foundation to set up a much more interesting sequel.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
https://tvline.com/2021/02/09/tv-ratings-super-bowl-lv-buccaneers-vs-chiefs/

Super Bowl LV on CBS attracted an average of 91.629 million total viewers on CBS alone, and a 26.48 in the 18-49 demographics rating. This is way down from last year's Super Bowl LIV that aired on Fox (which had a grand total of 102 million viewers, and a 30.1 in the 18-49 demo, from broadcast and streaming).

Streaming numbers accounted for about 5.7 total million viewers (a new high record!), so the grand total of last night's Super Bowl LV is: 96.4 million viewers.

The series premiere of "The Equalizer" attracted an average total of 20.404 million total viewers, and a 5.08 in the 18-49 demo, as it lead out of the Super Bowl, which is pretty decent really.

Final-2021-Feb-07-SUN-Bcast.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...-cable-originals-network-finals-2-7-2021.html

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lost on how something can be both a special program and a repeat at the same time. I didn't watch The Equalizer but I'm curious how its numbers will do next time it airs.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was buried in an article on Deadline but is interesting none the less.....

It seems the days of bringing in cheap Canadian imports like Outpost and Pandora for the CW's summer schedule could largely be over. I imagine that this move will allow the economics of The CW premiering the likes of The 100 spin-off or other 'prime time' shows in a summer slot to make sense rather than suddenly giving the CW $10 million an hour dramas like some have speculated.

Between this and the talk that The CW could be green-lighting and debuting some series on the CW mobile app before moving them to the network it shows that the channel could be expanding its programming footprint rather than shrinking it, albeit with lower budget shows compared to other broadcast networks never mind the streamers.

deadline.com

The CW, TNT & TBS To Cross-Air Encores Of ‘Superman & Lois’ & ‘Go-Big Show’ As CW Expands WarnerMedia & ViacomCBS Corporate Collaborations

The CW Network and its ad-supported cable sibling on the WarnerMedia side, TBS and TNT, have teamed up to give two tentpole new series an extra promotional boost with a one-episode cross-network rebroadcasts. On Feb. 27 at 9 PM, TNT will air an encore presentation of the premiere of The CW’s...

Why would the shows be lower budget? Wouldn't co-financing basically mean larger budgets like we've seen with Stargirl and Superman and Lois.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was an old special broadcast that is being rerun.
I had thought that at first but "Call Me Kat" doesn't have any special broadcasts. I thought something like that would just be a repeat. Special broadcast is probably more broad than I think it is. Is something being aired at just a different timeslot a special broadcast? I had assumed they meant things that aren't part of a series or don't fit in the normal episode/production order of a show. Or some special event type of program.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Why would the shows be lower budget? Wouldn't co-financing basically mean larger budgets like we've seen with Stargirl and Superman and Lois.

I didn't mean lower budget compared to the CW's usual output (NOT Pandora which looked shockingly low budget for a broadcast show) but the article specifically refers to their summer series. I think the CW works on a specific model and after a while it just doesn't make sense to spend big money for a network with such little marketshare among viewers. Especially if the series in question would be on SVOD just a mere 24 hours earlier and summer show on the CW are looking to pull in 200/300k total viewers.

And while Stargirl is obviously more expensive than the likes of The Flash (we'll see if season 2 stays at that budget level) I don't think that's sustainable as a production model moving forward. And the fact it was a holdover from DC universe is obviously a factor too.

Are we sure that Superman & Lois is a larger budget show for the CW? What we've seen of the pilot looks great but broadcast always spends big money on pilots and then settles down when it comes to the 'week to week' production.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Considering how extremely well it does for ABC, I don't think they would want to let WB take it off the air.

Personally I'm with you, I think there's probably more value in keeping it at ABC and growing it as a brand (think of the merch!!!) on broadcast but you never know.

But given that it's such a strong brand (and not a Disney owned one at that) there is always a chance that Warners, like everyone else, will want it behind their own 'walled garden' at some point.

Either that or have some weird spin-off on HBO Max, The Bachelor: Dogs Edition, ........they could even call it Puppy Love!

That's gold, I'm phoning HBO Max right now.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think WB would ever take The Bachelor off ABC and stick it on HBO Max given what a reliable performer it is or is that one cash cow that's probably left where it is?
Fuck no, ABC will pay money just for them to keep it on air, Hulu will be the middle ground for the 2 anyways.

The Backlog though, I can see that on Max.

Also, it's already answered in its own OT but the Bowl we assume took a hit because of the pandemic plus it being ass by the half.