• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Does anyone love The Hustler as much as I do. It's like a bite sized version of The Mole and Craig Ferguson is great as the host.

Jul 4, 2018
The total volume of scripted originals TV series has declined for the first time in a decade.

According to data supplied annually by Disney-owned FX, the total number of scripted original series on broadcast, cable and streaming outlets totaled 493 in 2020. That's down 7 percent from 2019's record-high of 532.

The decline is likely driven by the novel coronavirus pandemic, which halted production across the globe for a big chunk of 2020. The financial strain brought on by the pandemic also prompted a handful of scripted series to be "un-renewed" after factoring in things like filming logistics, rising costs of production and talent schedules.

Here's a look at total volume for the past decade:
2009: 210
2010: 216
2011: 266
2012: 288
2013: 349
2014: 389
2015: 420
2016: 454
2017: 487
2018: 495
2019: 532
2020: 493

Source: FX research via https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/peak-tv-update-scripted-originals-dip-7-in-2020-fx-says?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews&__twitter_impression=true

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tvline.com

Lee Daniels’ Wonder Years Reboot, Two More Comedies Earn ABC Pilot Orders

A reboot of 'The Wonder Years' from Lee Daniels, centered on a Black family in 1960s Alabama, has landed a pilot order at ABC.
ABC is officially turning back the clock to the 1960s: The Alphabet network has ordered a pilot for a reboot of The Wonder Years from executive producer Lee Daniels (Empire), TVLine has learned.

The new take on the 1988-93 series will be set during the turbulent '60s, as the original was, but this time will center on a Black middle-class family from Montgomery, Alabama, who "made sure it was The Wonder Years for them too," per the official description. Original star Fred Savage will serve as an EP along with Daniels and will also direct the pilot. Neal Marlens, who co-created the original Wonder Years with Carol Black, will serve as a consultant.

In addition, ABC ordered pilots for two more comedies for the 2021-22 TV season. The single-cam comedy Maggie, based on the short film of the same name, centers on a young woman who "tries to cope with life while coming to terms with her abilities as a psychic. She can see everyone's future, but her present is a mess." Life in Pieces veterans Maggie Mull and Justin Adler will write and serve as EPs.

The network also ordered a pilot for a untitled multi-cam comedy from Regina Hicks (Insecure, Girlfriends) that follows three sorority sisters who lost touch after college and "reunite during a pivotal point in their lives. They realize sometimes it's okay to crack, and when you do, no one will be there for you like your friends." Emmy winner Viola Davis will executive-produce, along with Larry Wilmore (Insecure, grown-ish).
tvline.com

Joel Kinnaman Joins In Treatment Reboot, Opposite Uzo Aduba

Joel Kinnaman has joined the cast of HBO's 'In Treatment' reboot.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand garbage tv scheduling
SEAL Team
S4E1 - December 2nd
S4E2 - December 2nd
S4E3 - December 9th
S4E4 - December 16th
-break
S4E5 - January 13th
- break
S4E6 - January 27th
- break

Chicago Fire
S9E1 - November 11th
S9E2 - November 18th
- break
S9E3 - January 13th
break -
S9E4 - January 27th

This is Us
S5E1 - October 27th
S5E2 - October 27th
S5E3 - November 10th
S5E4 - November 17th
- break
S5E4 - January 5th
S5E5 - January 12th
-break
S5E6 - "February 9th"

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Here's a look at total volume for the past decade:
2009: 210
2010: 216
2011: 266
2012: 288
2013: 349
2014: 389
2015: 420
2016: 454
2017: 487
2018: 495
2019: 532
2020: 493

Source: FX research via https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/peak-tv-update-scripted-originals-dip-7-in-2020-fx-says?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews&__twitter_impression=true

It was bound to happen at some point. Even with the slight dip, there are still a ton of shows and certainly more than enough for the average TV consumer.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand garbage tv scheduling
SEAL Team
S4E1 - December 2nd
S4E2 - December 2nd
S4E3 - December 9th
S4E4 - December 16th
-break
S4E5 - January 13th
- break
S4E6 - January 27th
- break

Chicago Fire
S9E1 - November 11th
S9E2 - November 18th
- break
S9E3 - January 13th
break -
S9E4 - January 27th

This is Us
S5E1 - October 27th
S5E2 - October 27th
S5E3 - November 10th
S5E4 - November 17th
- break
S5E4 - January 5th
S5E5 - January 12th
-break
S5E6 - "February 9th"

I'm sure the driving reason has to do with COVID. Like with S.W.A.T., Shemar Moore contracted COVID and I am quite sure production was delayed for that. But even without anyone contracting anything, production is likely slower in general with the safety guidelines in place. Also, much more expensive. So I wouldn't anticipate as many episodes as other seasons, as well. So they are also spreading them out more. Like with NCIS (original), there are only 16 episodes scheduled for this season than the usual 24.

I completely understand with everything that has been happening, safety comes first. I just hope it doesn't become to the new norm and scheduling, and especially amount of episodes, go back to pre-COVID once this eventually passes.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I can't believe I watched Once Upon a Time for half as long as I did (and I only made it like halfway through, I can't imagine the trauma people that stuck it out have). More fairy tale crap form them sounds like the least appealing thing out there.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
God I can't believe I watched Once Upon a Time for half as long as I did (and I only made it like halfway through, I can't imagine the trauma people that stuck it out have). More fairy tale crap form them sounds like the least appealing thing out there.

I enjoyed it, however silly it could get at times.

But I stopped watching it when it basically rebooted (almost the entire main cast left) for the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the driving reason has to do with COVID. Like with S.W.A.T., Shemar Moore contracted COVID and I am quite sure production was delayed for that. But even without anyone contracting anything, production is likely slower in general with the safety guidelines in place. Also, much more expensive. So I wouldn't anticipate as many episodes as other seasons, as well. So they are also spreading them out more. Like with NCIS (original), there are only 16 episodes scheduled for this season than the usual 24.

I completely understand with everything that has been happening, safety comes first. I just hope it doesn't become to the new norm and scheduling, and especially amount of episodes, go back to pre-COVID once this eventually passes.
I dont know, I thought those episode schedules is what we always see this time of year, constant random breaks from November to February

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2021-Jan-29-FRI.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-friday-network-scorecard-1-29-2021.html

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
the Neverland season broke me, I slowed down after that. I completely stopped watching in whatever season Elsa showed up in.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I was surprised to see this. Seems like comedy has fallen off among broadcast/cable if SNL has the top spot and that's no shot at SNL. Just that the days of a Big Bang Theory or Modern Family putting up big numbers seem to be over.

deadline.com

‘Saturday Night Live’ Season 46 Ranked No. 1 Among All Comedies On Broadcast And Cable

'Saturday Night Live' Season 46 Ranked #1 Among All Comedies On Broadcast And Cable
Very true. Comedy shows on broadcast TV have been trending downward for a while now, and are treated mostly as disposable or bingeable. Plus, many of the better comedy shows that are popular are on cable and/or streaming now.

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Season 2 Once Upon A Time was always something great to just have on,
The actors/characters were always decent (until alternate Cinderella who is the worst main actress i've ever seen on tv)
Even bad it was a good hate watch, I still miss the show every week when its old scheduled time rolls in.

It also did something surprising and had two good series finales.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just finished up OUAT earlier this month. I watched it when it was on the air but stopped during s5.

S7 was really hard to get through. The musical episode was good though.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The CW won't need to worry about airing Trickster in the future since the CBC just cancelled it.

deadline.com

‘Trickster’ Canceled By CBC Following Co-Creator’s Indigenous-Heritage Controversy; Season 1 To Finish Airing On the CW

CBC has reversed its renewal decision for indigenous supernatural drama 'Trickster' amid controversy over its co-creator's claimed indigenous ancestry

That's terrible for the cast and crew, but there's really not much you can do in this situation since the whole thing is tainted now.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I was surprised to see this. Seems like comedy has fallen off among broadcast/cable if SNL has the top spot and that's no shot at SNL. Just that the days of a Big Bang Theory or Modern Family putting up big numbers seem to be over.

deadline.com

‘Saturday Night Live’ Season 46 Ranked No. 1 Among All Comedies On Broadcast And Cable

'Saturday Night Live' Season 46 Ranked #1 Among All Comedies On Broadcast And Cable

Because new network sitcoms suck so hard right now. They can't produce even an ok one. Call me Kat, Call Your Mother ... and that kidney failure on CBS are so terrible. Seriously where all the talented writers, producers go?

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a lot of fun out of OUAT.

That fun obviously didn't last forever though. I don't think I ever watched the last two or maybe three seasons.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Because new network sitcoms suck so hard right now. They can't produce even an ok one. Call me Kat, Call Your Mother ... and that kidney failure on CBS are so terrible. Seriously where all the talented writers, producers go?

Comedy is so subjective, with what people find funny it's hard to do. Yet, it's the one area I still find enjoyable shows on network, B99, Superstore, Bob's Burgers, while I haven't been hooked into a network drama (sans superheroes) in a while. I do have some hope for Debris coming up in March though.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Comedy is so subjective, with what people find funny it's hard to do. Yet, it's the one area I still find enjoyable shows on network, B99, Superstore, Bob's Burgers, while I haven't been hooked into a network drama (sans superheroes) in a while. I do have some hope for Debris coming up in March though.

I'm talking about this circle. B99 already on its 8 years and most of good one are on their way out. Networks have yet produced anything worthy the last few years now.
I miss the day of big and small comedies like Big Bang, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Community, Cougar Town, The Middle, Better off Ted, Galavant....

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm talking about this circle. B99 already on its 8 years and most of good one are on their way out. Networks have yet produced anything worthy the last few years now.
I miss the day of big and small comedies like Big Bang, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Community, Cougar Town, The Middle, Better off Ted, Galavant....

Me too. The Good Place was probably the most recent comedy on broadcast that really grabbed me.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Man that last decade and a half was a great time for a sitcom fan, even for the stuff that was cut short.

I can't believe I'm railing about the good old days before I'm even 30.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017

The 2010s were essentially a golden era for Comedies, where if you could build a small but loyal audience, you could have a long run on a broadcast network (Happy Endings sadly not included). Like, you didn't even mention 30 Rock or Parks And Rec, and those are all-timers.

It's insane that Community and 30 Rock ran as long as they did.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of January 31, 2021:

"Bridgerton" reclaims the number 1 spot and pushes "Fate: The Winx Saga" down to number 2, while "Go, Dog. Go!" premiered very well at number 3, and "Jenni Rivera: Mariposa de Barrio - La Serie" made a big resurgence.

1.) Bridgerton (Season 1)
2.) Fate: The Winx Saga (Season 1)
3.) Go, Dog. Go! (Season 1) (NEW)
4.) Jenni Rivera: Mariposa de Barrio - La Serie (Season 1)
5.) Henry Danger (Seasons 1-3)
6.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
7.) Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (Limited Series)
8.) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Season 1)
9.) LA's Finest (Season 1)
10.) Blown Away (Seasons 1-2) (NEW)

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Was Modern Family the last big network sitcom? Even B99 is more of a streaming success story, especially worldwide.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

TV in February 2021 - What are you watching?

Things are super light this month so catch up on a classic or play some games or something idk. Read! ~ Recent Highlights ~ Bonding - Netflix Gomorrah - HBO MAX Lupin - Netflix ~ February Monday, 1 The Investigation - HBO - 10/9c Wednesday, 3 Firefly Lane - Netflix Reset - Vice...

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
TheNatureBoy I think you already watch it but Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is the last network hour-long to really grab me.

To the discussion of network sitcoms, I'm really surprised how much I've been enjoying Mr. Mayor. The jokes have been flying pretty fast and enjoyably and the characters are really growing on me.

On the streaming side, Never Have I Ever was one of my favorite new sitcoms in ages. Also really dug the first season of the Saved by the Bell. The whole ensemble was great and Josie Totah in particular was excellent.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I miss The Middle. :/

I'm still really bitter about that Sue spinoff that didn't work out.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Ugh, I miss The Middle. :/

I'm still really bitter about that Sue spinoff that didn't work out.

The Middle was from WB studio. I guess ABC didn't want to host another successful sitcom for another studio.

I dont know if its related. Ever since networks favored their in house studios, their drama and comedy just getting worse and worse.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
TheNatureBoy I think you already watch it but Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is the last network hour-long to really grab me.

To the discussion of network sitcoms, I'm really surprised how much I've been enjoying Mr. Mayor. The jokes have been flying pretty fast and enjoyably and the characters are really growing on me.

On the streaming side, Never Have I Ever was one of my favorite new sitcoms in ages. Also really dug the first season of the Saved by the Bell. The whole ensemble was great and Josie Totah in particular was excellent.

Yeah, I do enjoy Zoey's - really like it, but hasn't moved into the love category yet.

I gave Mr. Mayor a few episodes but didn't click with me. I did like Never Have I Ever and the Saved by the Bell reboot is coming up on my watchlist.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Yeah, I do enjoy Zoey's - really like it, but hasn't moved into the love category yet.

I gave Mr. Mayor a few episodes but didn't click with me. I did like Never Have I Ever and the Saved by the Bell reboot is coming up on my watchlist.

Ted Danson was mis-casted imo. Political stuffs dont have any bite, Tina Fey play it too safe. Supporting cast is good.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I first read this as you dissing on One Day at a Time and was all "oh no U didn't". 🤣 Luckily I read Hobbun's reply to you and noticed my error.

I'm actually watching Once Upon a Time currently. I'm on Season 5. It can be a bit painful but there are some decent episodes/ideas/moments here and there to still keep me watching, though it has been relegated more & more into something I'm not watching actively but it's on in a background tab and I just listen to it while browsing the Interwebz.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CW won't need to worry about airing Trickster in the future since the CBC just cancelled it.

deadline.com

‘Trickster’ Canceled By CBC Following Co-Creator’s Indigenous-Heritage Controversy; Season 1 To Finish Airing On the CW

CBC has reversed its renewal decision for indigenous supernatural drama 'Trickster' amid controversy over its co-creator's claimed indigenous ancestry

That's terrible for the cast and crew, but there's really not much you can do in this situation since the whole thing is tainted now.
Yes, it seems deeply unfair to the many many people involved to just burn down the whole show because of one bad person's involvement. Especially considering that said person has already resigned and apologized. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse the close up shop -- not sure how things work in Canada.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it seems deeply unfair to the many many people involved to just burn down the whole show because of one bad person's involvement. Especially considering that said person has already resigned and apologized. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse the close up shop -- not sure how things work in Canada.
The article says that they spoke to everyone, so maybe everyone agreed that the entire production was tainted.
Stolen identity is quite a third rail thing to do here though, so the CBC might just want to stay away from that altogether regardless.