• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of January 24, 2021:

"Fate: The Winx Saga" debuts at number 1 this week while "Bridgerton" lets "Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer" slide past it to number 3. "Spycraft" and "Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba" both made their debuts this week as well, while "Bling Empire" rose four spots from last week.

1.) Fate: The Winx Saga (Season 1) (NEW)
2.) Bridgerton (Season 1)
3.) Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer (Limited Series)
4.) Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Seasons 1-2) (NEW)
5.) Henry Danger (Seasons 1-3)
6.) Bling Empire (Season 1)
7.) LA's Finest (Season 1)
8.) Spycraft (Season 1) (NEW)
9.) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Season 1) (NEW)
10.) Lupin (Part 1)

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Still working for me. Outside of the US I'm guessing? It's from NBC's official channel, so maybe they are being dumb and blocking certain countries.

Here's a mirror that might work?

In case it doesn't: It's a new upcoming sci-fi show called "Debris" from the showrunner of FRINGE.

Fuck, you got me. I love me some Fringe.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings. They came in super late today for some reason but last night's NFL game clearly dominated:

Fast-Demo-2021-Jan-24-SUN.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-network-scorecard-1-24-2021.html

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I know it has a separate thread, but this is pretty big news for Peacock. Even with WWE not being as popular as it used to be.

tvline.com

WWE to Shutter Streaming Service, Move Content to Peacock in New Deal

The WWE Network streaming service is shutting down, and all content will move to Peacock — get details on the new deal.
I mean, paying 200 million a year for just over 1 million subscribers (and dropping) sounds like a bad deal when looking at a potential return as low as 50 million a year and as high as maybe 100?

I just don't see how they're gonna get a return on their investment on this.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I quite enjoyed Bridgerton's first season. Some story lines felt artificially dramatic and convoluted at times (when it comes down to "this character doesn't know how to communicate anything ever in the slightest" it gets a bit tiresome to me :P), but it still was a pleasant enough experience overall that it was easy to overlook and just get into it. It's a good comfort TV show, and I get why people enjoyed it. I'll be waiting for season 2 now!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed Bridgerton's first season. Some story lines felt artificially dramatic and convoluted at times (when it comes down to "this character doesn't know how to communicate anything ever in the slightest" it gets a bit tiresome to me :P), but it still was a pleasant enough experience overall that it was easy to overlook and just get into it. It's a good comfort TV show, and I get why people enjoyed it. I'll be waiting for season 2 now!

I agree with that. The trope of "this whole thing could be resolved in an episode if the characters would actually just talk to one another" is one of my personal most-hated and it did make several episodes in the middle a bit stretched but overall it was an enjoyable watch.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Apple TV+ Nearing Order For 6-Part ‘In With The Devil’; Taron Egerton, Paul Walter Hauser Star, Michael R. Roskam Directs Dennis Lehane-Scripted Adaptation

Apple TV+ Taron Egerton, Paul Walter Hauser In With The Devil Michael R. Roskam Directs 6-Part Limited Series Dennis Lehane Script
Apple TV+ is nearing a series order for In With the Devil, a six-hour adaptation of a true crime memoir by James Keene that has Taron Egerton set to star as the author and Richard Jewell's Paul Walter Hauser in talks to join him as a suspected serial killer. Michael R. Roskam will direct a script by Dennis Lehane. It will shoot in New Orleans.

Keene was a young Chicago kid who was a standout football player headed for a pro career when a few turns in the wrong direction caught him a decade-long prison sentence with no chance of parole. The son of a Chicago cop was offered by the prosecutor who put him behind bars the chance to be sprung from prison and a chance to redeem himself. The stakes were high. Same prosecutor convicted a man named Larry Hall for abducting and killing a 15-year-old, just one of perhaps 19 other women he killed. The killer could be released on appeal. Keene's task was to ingratiate himself with the murderer, in prison, and get him to confess to two murders

Jan 20, 2019

Told you :P

I'm assuming that HBO likes what they are seeing from the Last of Us adaption.

variety.com

Craig Mazin Extends HBO, HBO Max Overall Deal

Craig Mazin has extended his overall deal with HBO and HBO Max for an additional three years.

If they play their cards right, TLOU has every ingredient to become a WW phenomenal.

Jan 20, 2019
Who's watching HBO MAX overseas?

gonna be another one of those awkward "whatever streaming service/TV network gets the rights in your country" kind of deals

The thing, HBO is know for the quality of their shows and a lot of peopel know the channel from GoT, while the streaming service enter the market at the end of GoT it still got popular in Europe, also because of chernobyl.

TLOU(game) is extremely popular in Europe, so you can get the worth of mouth really fast and with Sony behind it you can easy see the sucess.

Let's see who they will cast for the roles.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
The thing, HBO is know for the quality of their shows and a lot of peopel know the channel from GoT, while the streaming service enter the market at the end of GoT it still got popular in Europe, also because of chernobyl.

TLOU(game) is extremely popular in Europe, so you can get the worth of mouth really fast and with Sony behind it you can easy see the sucess.

HBO Max isn't available in Europe. Some countries have an HBO streaming service but not all of HBO Max's content is available there.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
HBO Max is expanding internationally in the second half of this year.
That's going to take a long time and they'll likely be missing huge chunks of their content that they've sold in local markets that they have to wait to get back, most of WB's content is all over the place. Disney+ consolidated most of their stuff ahead of time but was still missing things internationally. Took Netflix years to catch up to where they were in the US as well as investing into local content. It'll almost certainly be a soft launch.

the timing is awkward. Either they launch on an anemic streaming service or sell the rights. Game of Thrones was local broadcast/services.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max isn't available in Europe. Some countries have an HBO streaming service but not all of HBO Max's content is available there.
That's going to take a long time and they'll likely be missing huge chunks of their content that they've sold in local markets that they have to wait to get back, most of WB's content is all over the place. Disney+ consolidated most of their stuff ahead of time but was still missing things internationally. Took Netflix years to catch up to where they were in the US as well as investing into local content. It'll almost certainly be a soft launch.

the timing is awkward. Either they launch on an anemic streaming service or sell the rights. Game of Thrones was local broadcast/services.
It'll happen. Last of Us won't be out until next year at the earliest. HBO Max will be in Europe by then.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
GOT was on my cable along with most of HBO stuffs.
By the time they expend to international markets, people already subs Netflix or Disney+ or both. Plus HBO Max costs more than those 2.

Jan 20, 2019

It will come out in 2022, the pandemic just acelerate everything in terms of stream services, i believe that by the end of 2021 the service wil be available.

Isn't it wildly inappropriate for that age group?

The show or the cartoon?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It'll happen. Last of Us won't be out until next year at the earliest. HBO Max will be in Europe by then.
It will come out in 2022, the pandemic just acelerate everything in terms of stream services, i believe that by the end of 2021 the service wilbe available.
I guess I worded that poorly. I don't mean HBO Max literally being available - although I think it'll take years before global availability - I mean it being a service anyone watches internationally, regardless of whether it's available.

Jan 20, 2019
I guess I worded that poorly. I don't mean HBO Max literally being available - although I think it'll take years before global availability - I mean it being a service anyone watches internationally, regardless of whether it's available.

If the show is good, the yah, peopel will sub.

There is also GoT sequels and Harry Potter and other stuff that resonates with a lot of peopel, as long as the content is there peopel will sub.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If the show is good, the yah, peopel will sub.

There is also GoT sequels and Harry Potter and other stuff that resonates with a lot of peopel, as long as the content is there peopel will sub.
Game of Thrones and Harry Potter are burning goodwill at an alarming pace, I don't think they're sure fire bets. And TLoU is what, a third the size of The Witcher? It's popular with PS gamers which is respectable but not guaranteed tens of millions.

and again like I was saying: HBO Max will be missing a ton of content in other markets. WB spent years selling it all. They might have even sold some originals, I remember when Netflix launched here it was missing House of Cards lol

TLOU isn't a MAX original anyway
Might be better it isn't, for the show at least

Jan 20, 2019
Game of Thrones and Harry Potter are burning goodwill at an alarming pace, I don't think they're sure fire bets. And TLoU is what, a third the size of The Witcher? It's popular with PS gamers which is respectable but not guaranteed tens of millions.

and again like I was saying: HBO Max will be missing a ton of content in other markets. WB spent years selling it all. They might have even sold some originals, I remember when Netflix launched here it was missing House of Cards lol

Might be better it isn't, for the show at least

They are indeed, but that is the thing, a good trailer and peopel will be all over it.

That is why i said they need to nail the cast, if they get good actors on it they can easy push it and with Sony marketing behind it is easy to see, plus, they already have a initial millions of peopel that will whatch it and the WoM wil be great, as long as the show is good.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Maybe because I'm on gaming forum and the game already has been discussed to dead, not sure tv adaptation will bring any new for TLOU.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The Witcher book sales are at 15 million and I imagine there is a tremendous amount of overlap in the venn diagram of game sales and book sales.
So 65 million between Witcher games and books vs. 24 million (probably more with updated TLOU2) sales. I'm sorry my numbers were off slightly it's more like 2/5 the size?

my point wasn't to start a war between the two series, my point was it's a bigger IP on a dramatically bigger service

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So 65 million between Witcher games and books vs. 24 million (probably more with updated TLOU2) sales. I'm sorry my numbers were off slightly it's more like 2/5 the size?

What? It doesn't work like that at all. There aren't 65 million separate consumers of The Witcher products. And that 15 million sales of the books is the entire series. People aren't reading book five of that series without having read the previous, etc.

You are being completely disingenuous and you know it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because I'm on gaming forum and the game already has been discussed to dead, not sure tv adaptation will bring any new for TLOU.
Regardless of the man's previous work, people are going to be interested in what Craig Malin ("the Chernobyl guy") does next. The TLoU show is a big opportunity to bring in fresh people who know nothing about the game/s.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What? It doesn't work like that at all. There aren't 65 million separate consumers of The Witcher products. And that 15 million sales of the books is the entire series. People aren't reading book five of that series without having read the previous, etc.

You are being completely disingenuous and you know it.
my point wasn't to start a war between the two series, my point was it's a bigger IP on a dramatically bigger service
bro if you've got a hard on for comparing game series I don't give a fuck, I'm talking about what one IP brings to a streaming service vs a different IP to a different service.