• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
deadline.com

‘The Office’ Takes Victory Lap, ‘The Mandalorian’ Surges In Nielsen Streaming Ranks

"The Office," which now streams exclusively on Peacock, was the top U.S. streaming title in one of its final weeks on Netflix, Nielsen said.

It's kind of embarrassed how much Peacook depends on The Office. But this is the reason. And I still don't know why the latter seasons just too painful too watch.
Mando is also very impressive because it's only 15 eps.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see how long Cobra Kai can stay on top. It's definitely the biggest original series Netflix has for the month.

While I liked, but didn't love Dare Me it's nice to see it crack the top 10.
In Netflix US Bridgerton has already taken back the #1 spot. I'm surprised that Cobra Kai did not stay on top longer here, I'm guessing most fans already watched it in it's first week (I'm still on episode 5). Also, nice to see The History of Swear Words do well.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like most Cobra Kai fans basically binged the whole season in a day or two, so it likely won't stay high in the charts for an extended period

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings. NBC's "Mr. Mayor" debuted pretty well, but people still love game shows. CBS's shows were all reruns, and not new:

Fast-Demo-2021-Jan-07-THU.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-network-scorecard-1-7-2021.html

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Does The Mandalorian get good at some point? Watched two episodes and it was so flat. It wasn't exciting or suspenseful. There's no characterization. The only thing I can say is the puppet is cool.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does The Mandalorian get good at some point? Watched two episodes and it was so flat. It wasn't exciting or suspenseful. There's no characterization. The only thing I can say is the puppet is cool.

Not really, no. It has lots of fan-service type stuff that can be fun, but on a fundamental level of character development and writing? No, it never gets good.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only ways it "gets good"/better are in terms of production values, action set pieces, and Star Wars "fanservice". If you don't care about any of those things, the show will offer nothing to you.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

It's basically like a show from the '70s like The Incredible Hulk where Mando rolls into a new town/planet each episode, has to gain the trust of the locals, triumphs, and the moves on to the next adventure at the episode.

Someone on Twitter during the first season pointed out that it kind of feels like a series of videogame side quests.

The production values are insane, the supporting characters in each episode are cool, but it never turns into a gripping drama or anything.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know Mr. Mayor started last night. That is the issue I have with "check your local listings" on a commercial. I'm never going to do it. Just tell me when it airs so I can give it a shot

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Green Arrow and the Canaries is dead

Had a feeling this would happen. I thought we would have another "Wayward Sisters" situation when G & C wasn't picked up earlier on.

I am certain the reasons were different, but again a series I was definitely interested in and felt would be good/do well...and CW again threw it to the wayside.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no. It has lots of fan-service type stuff that can be fun, but on a fundamental level of character development and writing? No, it never gets good.
The only ways it "gets good"/better are in terms of production values, action set pieces, and Star Wars "fanservice". If you don't care about any of those things, the show will offer nothing to you.
Yeah, fan-service doesn't cut it for me. That may have been enough when I was a teen and the prequels started rolling out, but I need more now. I was such a hardcore SW fan in my youth, but at this point only The Last Jedi has done anything for me in the last 20 years.
It's basically like a show from the '70s like The Incredible Hulk where Mando rolls into a new town/planet each episode, has to gain the trust of the locals, triumphs, and the moves on to the next adventure at the episode.

Someone on Twitter during the first season pointed out that it kind of feels like a series of videogame side quests.

The production values are insane, the supporting characters in each episode are cool, but it never turns into a gripping drama or anything.
Yup, this echoes my girlfriend's observations. That the second episode especially resembled a video game, with the the diversionary quest of Mando needing to fetch some items in order to repair his ship. She also noted it felt like a Genndy Tartakovsky show (specifically Primal and Samurai Jack) except with no sense of stakes or excitement, and those definitely fit the weekly adventure style show.

It was weird to us just how significantly we were bored by the show, considering the general acclaim. Like, the show doesn't even make Mando cool or badass. He's getting clowned on by Jawas and a mutated rhino.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fan-service doesn't cut it for me. That may have been enough when I was a teen and the prequels started rolling out, but I need more now. I was such a hardcore SW fan in my youth, but at this point only The Last Jedi has done anything for me in the last 20 years.

Yup, this echoes my girlfriend's observations. That the second episode especially resembled a video game, with the the diversionary quest of Mando needing to fetch some items in order to repair his ship. She also noted it felt like a Genndy Tartakovsky show (specifically Primal and Samurai Jack) except with no sense of stakes or excitement, and those definitely fit the weekly adventure style show.

It was weird to us just how significantly we were bored by the show, considering the general acclaim. Like, the show doesn't even make Mando cool or badass. He's getting clowned on by Jawas and a mutated rhino.

This pretty much continues in the second season. He will be given what seems like a very direct goal in a universe with light speed travel: "Go to Planet X and See Person Y. They have what you need". But it will take 5 episodes because, oh no, his ship got shot up en route so now he doesn't have a hyperdrive, now his ship needs repairs, etc.

The Mandalorian feels decidedly old fashioned at times which is probably a plus for quite a few people.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Mando season 1 but was super dissapointed with season 2. It felt even MORE like a videogame, and most of the stories did nothing for me.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This usually is favorite tv news period for me. This year is just sad. Not even sure when they will film these pilots.
Things are fucked as LA shutdown all productions for 2-3 weeks so we are riding with repeats for awhile or the premieres will be later, shorter seasons at least. GA-NY productions are safe for now but the new variant is about to make things dicey.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things are fucked as LA shutdown all productions for 2-3 weeks so we are riding with repeats for awhile or the premieres will be later, shorter seasons at least. GA-NY productions are safe for now but the new variant is about to make things dicey.
Production is full steam ahead in Vancouver right now though. So series shooting there will be premiering soon. There's going to be a mid-mid season debut for a lot of stuff in March if everything stays the way it is right now.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

Wonder how many of the shows will have shorter seasons, or if it will it just be that way with all of them.

The only one I've heard confirmation on is NCIS, which will have a 16 episode run this season. I would assume the other NCIS spin-offs (New Orleans and especially LA) would be doing the same (or very similar).

Once this whole thing ends they are able to safely get on a normal schedule again, I hope there isn't a consequence where a shorter season becomes the norm. I know many are fine with that or prefer it that way, but I am not one of them.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, Whose Line? is back, and moved from Mon to Fri. I wonder how many of these they filmed, since they clearly did a lot over a year ago, seeing full mask-less audiences :x

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of January 10, 2021:

Four new shows debuted this week and made it onto the Top 10, but none of them could topple "Bridgerton" and "Cobra Kai," which swapped spots this week. Older shows "Jenni Rivera: Mariposa de Barrio - La Serie" and "LA's Finest" are both now available on Netflix and broke onto the list:

1.) Bridgerton (Season 1)
2.) Cobra Kai (Seasons 1-3)
3.) Lupin (Season 1) (NEW)
4.) History of Swear Words (Season 1) (NEW)
5.) Surviving Death (Season 1) (NEW)
6.) Gabby's Dollhouse (Season 1) (NEW)
7.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
8.) The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Parts 1-4)
9.) Jenni Rivera: Mariposa de Barrio - La Serie (Season 1) (NEW)
10.) LA's Finest (Season 1) (NEW)

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Lupin is off to a good start for a non-English Netflix show. It's the most watched show worldwide this weekend ranking #1 in 49 countries.

It's a short watch as well with just 5 episodes, each under 50 minutes.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There is a thread about Lupin floating around here. The consensus seemed to be along the lines of "its not good but its not bad". That isn't a good enough impression for me to make it a priority, personally. Too many well received things to check out at the moment.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
There is a thread about Lupin floating around here. The consensus seemed to be along the lines of "its not good but its not bad". That isn't a good enough impression for me to make it a priority, personally. Too many well received things to check out at the moment.

I guess I'll skip it then.