• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The episodes are still around 1 hour long like the other parts but they draaaaggg onnn.
I seriously hope Netflix grows past this soon. Every "serious drama" show being 1+ hour long episodes just stops me from watching the series entirely. I loved Orange is the New Black but that show took me months to get through simply because I rarely want to watch a full hour long episode.

Same thing just happened with The Queen's Gambit - yet another show with 1+ hour long episodes, yet another show I keep pushing off.

Watched How To with John Wilson instead - a glorious 22-minute episode show.

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously hope Netflix grows past this soon. Every "serious drama" show being 1+ hour long episodes just stops me from watching the series entirely. I loved Orange is the New Black but that show took me months to get through simply because I rarely want to watch a full hour long episode.

Same thing just happened with The Queen's Gambit - yet another show with 1+ hour long episodes, yet another show I keep pushing off.

Watched How To with John Wilson instead - a glorious 22-minute episode show.

The Queen's Gambit, at least, is only 7 episodes. They may be longer, but it still feels short overall. I'd strongly suggest you watch it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with longer episodes -- you can always stop watching whenever you want. The issue is that there's no quality control on pacing so directors and showrunners are squeezing in lots of extra minutes that really don't increase the overall value. If a show has long episodes, it probably fills them with nonsense.

I don't think the Queen's Gambit has that problem.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hey RatskyWatsky here's a question: will you allow Sabrina 4 for the "best of 2021" thread? I know I know it came out in 2020 (31st) but realistically I don't think even the most hardcore Sabrina fan would have watched it in 2020.

To be fair this is a moot point since nobody will have fucking Sabrina 4 on their top 10 next year (lol) but I was just curious.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like no one cares about Bridgerton. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch it, but I accidentally discovered that they got Vitamin String Quartet to do the covers of the songs they used. I guess this is their big break after years of doing pop covers. lol

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Seems like no one cares about Bridgerton. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch it, but I accidentally discovered that they got Vitamin String Quartet to do the covers of the songs they used. I guess this is their big break after years of doing pop covers. lol
It's the most watched show on Netflix right now. Top 3 in pretty much every country, number 1 in most of them.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It's been at the 1/2 spot now for over a week, so I'm sure it's doing fine, but the queerbaiting has totally put me off watching it.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it one of those things where it's popular but no one here cares? lol
I started watching because I assumed it was going to be like Downton but it's just another terribly written Shonda show with bombastic, unlikeable characters and nonsensical gratuitous sex scenes.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
New Year's Day's ratings. "RuPaul's Drag Race" was simulcast on The CW in addition to airing on VH1 (its current home network), MTV, MTV2, Logo, and PopTV, so the ratings it received on The CW are just a small fraction of how well it performed last night. Full ratings for how it did when combined with the other networks it aired on will be out on Tuesday afternoon:

Fast-Demo-2021-Jan-01-FRI.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-friday-network-scorecard-1-1-2021.html

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
hey RatskyWatsky here's a question: will you allow Sabrina 4 for the "best of 2021" thread? I know I know it came out in 2020 (31st) but realistically I don't think even the most hardcore Sabrina fan would have watched it in 2020.

To be fair this is a moot point since nobody will have fucking Sabrina 4 on their top 10 next year (lol) but I was just curious.

I guess

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Is it one of those things where it's popular but no one here cares? lol
What it's was #1 all week on US Netflix and still in the top 3 in most places. Bridgerton was trending on Twitter a few days ago and its trailer has gained like 500,000 views since its release. A lot of interviews and fanmade videos are also doing pretty well. I feel like someone on Resetera always says this about any Netflix show or Popular/Rap music (I remember multiple people saying this about Umbrella Academy as well). You just don't happen to be in the demographic it's appealing to.

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I guess it's a pass then...

I'm one episode in and I think it's quite decent so far. I think the tone is done exceptionally well -- vibrant and fun without taking itself seriously. It's sort of like The Great but as a straight drama rather than a dramedy. He's right that it's nothing like Downton Abbey, but at least the first episode is better than the normal Shonda fare. To be fair, this is based off a book and Shonda isn't the showrunner, she's just an EP, so it shouldn't necessarily be shackled to her legacy.

Give the first episode a spin and see if you like it.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it and Regé-Jean Page is such great eye candy to stare at. The show knows what is and it does not try to hide that it's a romance/fantasy show with a lot of drama. I personally did not love Gossip Girl but I've seen a lot of people compare Bridgerton to it. Right now Bridgerton has a 92% with a 7.94 average score out of 10 with critics on RT and 88% with Audiences.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it and Regé-Jean Page is such great eye candy to stare at. The show knows what is and it does not try to hide that it's a romance/fantasy show with a lot of drama. I personally did not love Gossip Girl but I've seen a lot of people compare Bridgerton to it. Right now Bridgerton has a 92% with a 7.94 average score out of 10 with critics on RT and 88% with Audiences.

I lived gossip Girl and period pieces so I think I'm gonna check it out

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Bridgerton, certainly nothing more than some light fantasy romance, but it's fine for what it is supposed to be.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What it's was #1 all week on US Netflix and still in the top 3 in most places. Bridgerton was trending on Twitter a few days ago and its trailer has gained like 500,000 views since its release. A lot of interviews and fanmade videos are also doing pretty well. I feel like someone on Resetera always says this about any Netflix show or Popular/Rap music (I remember multiple people saying this about Umbrella Academy as well). You just don't happen to be in the demographic it's appealing to.
I'm one episode in and I think it's quite decent so far. I think the tone is done exceptionally well -- vibrant and fun without taking itself seriously. It's sort of like The Great but as a straight drama rather than a dramedy. He's right that it's nothing like Downton Abbey, but at least the first episode is better than the normal Shonda fare. To be fair, this is based off a book and Shonda isn't the showrunner, she's just an EP, so it shouldn't necessarily be shackled to her legacy.

Give the first episode a spin and see if you like it.
I'm a stan for glossy regency stuff and was happy that we got yet another Emma adaptation last year, but I also don't want to be 'exhausted' when watching a show, for lack of a better word. I guess since it's not a Shonda show, it might be okay then. lol

The fact that they got VSQ to do their covers is fun to me at least, although since the album only has a handful of songs I kind of wish they just went all Marie Antoinette and had a complete score based on covers of pop songs.

(There's also the fact that I kind of want to start Outlander which seems in the same "historical drama but not really" wheelhouse, but I know I probably never will lol)

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Outlander is sooooo good, but it can also be relentlessly brutal. It's not a comfy period drama, it gets dark as fuck.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Oh is it like a grimdark historical drama like Vikings?
Not knowing anything about the show other than the concept, in my mind it's a romance story about a woman who time travels. lol
I don't watch Vikings, so I can't say. There is a lot of romance, obviously, but a lot of deeply horrible things happen too, and they don't shy away from showing it in most cases. It's not for the faint of heart.

Oct 28, 2017
Red Weddings then? lol

Nothing so grand. I would say that the tone is not so grim as Vikings, but some of the things that happen may actually be darker. It's a love story so there's a deep positive happiness to the show that Vikings lacks. There's nothing that comes across as being dark for the sake of it — it just depicts what believably the 1700s may have felt like.

Outlander is excellent. It's much better than either Vikings or Bridgerton. You should watch it immediately.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Outlander is great but yeah, there's a lot of (historically accurate?) rape that happens to the main characters throughout the show. Maybe like once per season or something. The majority of it doesn't feel exploitative (and is pulled from the books, I believe) but the most recent instance of it felt pretty unnecessary.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It was an opening scene from last season, though I don't remember which episode.

Roger and someone else came across a cabin that has been burned down deliberately, and the whole family is dead except a young girl(?) just outside the house who is horrifically burned and literally melted into the ground, barely still alive. Then one of the two guys suffocates her to end her suffering. It was truly awful.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of January 3, 2021:

The new season of "Cobra Kai" really was highly anticipated since it debuted at #1 this week! "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" debuted high as well with its final part. "Bridgerton," "The Queen's Gambit," and "Cocomelon" are still holding on though.

1.) Cobra Kai (Seasons 1-3) (NEW)
2.) Bridgerton (Season 1)
3.) The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Parts 1-4) (NEW)
4.) The Queen's Gambit (Limited Series)
5.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
6.) Dare Me (Season 1) (NEW)
7.) Virgin River (Seasons 1-2)
8.) Best Leftovers Ever! (Season 1) (NEW)
9.) Monarca (Seasons 1-2) (NEW)
10.) Tiny Pretty Things (Season 1)

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of January 3, 2021:

The new season of "Cobra Kai" really was highly anticipated since it debuted at #1 this week! "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" debuted high as well with its final part. "Bridgerton," "The Queen's Gambit," and "Cocomelon" are still holding on though.

1.) Cobra Kai (Seasons 1-3) (NEW)
2.) Bridgerton (Season 1)
3.) The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Parts 1-4) (NEW)
4.) The Queen's Gambit (Limited Series)
5.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
6.) Dare Me (Season 1) (NEW)
7.) Virgin River (Seasons 1-2)
8.) Best Leftovers Ever! (Season 1) (NEW)
9.) Monarca (Seasons 1-2) (NEW)
10.) Tiny Pretty Things (Season 1)

Will be interesting to see how long Cobra Kai can stay on top. It's definitely the biggest original series Netflix has for the month.

While I liked, but didn't love Dare Me it's nice to see it crack the top 10.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to see if Wandavision can reach #1 on the overall streaming charts...

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It was an opening scene from last season, though I don't remember which episode.

Roger and someone else came across a cabin that has been burned down deliberately, and the whole family is dead except a young girl(?) just outside the house who is horrifically burned and literally melted into the ground, barely still alive. Then one of the two guys suffocates her to end her suffering. It was truly awful.

That does seem familiar now that you mention it. 😨

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Netflix has absolute advantage of being available in every countries in the world (minus China). I dont see how Wandavision can.
Could it match or beat Mando numbers though?
Weekly model could keep it popularity for at least 2 months and not drop of the face of the earth in like 2 weeks. The finale will be the biggest, I heard they will go on out with big CGI battle could rival what we saw in the movies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be curiosity in Wandavision due to it being the first MCU show, but because it looks so weird (and probably is), it may drop off hard. I expect Falcon and Winter Soldier (probably more like a traditional MCU film) to stay more consistent.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I think there will be curiosity in Wandavision due to it being the first MCU show, but because it looks so weird (and probably is), it may drop off hard. I expect Falcon and Winter Soldier (probably more like a traditional MCU film) to stay more consistent.
It won't drop off, I can guarantee it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy a bot farm in order to make sure WandaVision stays at #1.

Also, its the first Marvel show in a while so the premiere is definitely going to do gangbusters. What happens after that is going to depend on audiences' willingness to stick with the show's """weirdness""".

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The promos have already well established the weirdness. People know it'll be weird.

I am certain beyond any doubt that the show will be a huge success.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The promos have already well established the weirdness. People know it'll be weird.

I am certain beyond any doubt that the show will be a huge success.

It will be definitely huge, the question is how much compare to others.
The Queen's Gambit came out of nowhere and become the biggest streaming limited series (like Wandavision) of the year. That the thing Netflix is capable of pulling, even MCU cant beat that the 200M subs.
Disney+ need to go worldwide at the end of this year or early next year to have a chance to compete with Netflix. Or they have to play second fiddle along with them.
Falcon and Winter Soldier starts soon after Wanda ends. If Wanda turns out to be great, it could also help WATWS tremendously.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
^^^If we are talking about the Nielsen charts that come out every week, they only measure U.S. viewing so overseas won't be a factor. The bigger issue will be the fact they measure by total minutes, and WandaVision might be at a disadvantage with only releasing 1 episode per week and not having multiple seasons like Greys, NCIS which always stay in the charts. Especially if they slide through with shorter 45-50 runtimes.