• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Dropped Batwoman S1 after a few episodes, but will check out a couple episodes from the new season to see if the show grabs me.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Awesome I missed the season 4 handmaiden trailer Hulu YouTube had a season 5 video a minute after it was announced

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for anyone still watching that crap. So boring, I've never regretted bailing on it for a second.
To be honest, I haven't read anything or thought about this series or even heard anyone else talk about it for so long I'd actually assumed that they'd stopped producing it.
Everything I've read is that the writers keep shitting the bed. The show somehow went from being in the zeitgeist to forgotten so quickly - a lot like Homeland and the "Carrie faces".

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Such as?

There's been a small handful of things critics are fans of (including The Handmaid's Tale), but most of their originals aren't even critical darlings like that. And as far as I'm aware there hasn't really been anything that draws a substantial audience.

Handmaid's Tale! That entered the zeitgeist like few others on any network (critics don't have the ability to will their pet shows into popular culture so idk I think it was a big draw)

Also, Normal People!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Handmaid's Tale! That entered the zeitgeist like few others on any network (critics don't have the ability to will their pet shows into popular culture so idk I think it was a big draw)

Also, Normal People!
I think Handmaid's Tale is something most people are vaguely aware of, as is its red dress/white hat iconography. So sure, it is successful enough that it entered the Zeitgeist in that way. But I'm still pretty sure its viewership is not... all that great. Basically, it's a hit for Hulu... but not a hit if we are considering the entire television landscape.

The things talked about or not talked about in "the zeitgeist" can also be a bit misleading at times. For example, shows on Netflix like You and Sex Education were watched by many more people than Hulu even has subscribers... and yet barely anyone actually talks about them at all despite being very popular series.

I hadn't even heard of Normal People before this post, so I'm still not certain of its popularity, but it sounds/looks interesting just from some quick googling. I'll check it out!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Dec-10-THU.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-network-scorecard-12-10-2020.html

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Disney's Plus just announced 1000 shows and yet, ABC is still key. Especially saying they'll have the SEC shit in 2024.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
PEN15
Handmaid's Tale

are the big names on Hulu at the moment, maybe the small movies too.

Forgetting what other shit that's not an FX thing.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Nielsen streaming numbers for the week of November 9-15:

https://deadline.com/2020/12/the-qu...mandalorian-nielsen-u-s-streaming-1234653926/

The Queen's Gambit (7 episodes – 1.373 billion minutes)

The Office (192 – 1.089 billion)

The Mandalorian (11 – 873 million)

Schitt's Creek (80 – 855 million)

The Crown (40 – 807 million)

Grey's Anatomy (363 – 688 million)

Great British Baking Show (64 – 669 million)

NCIS (353 – 603 million)

Criminal Minds (277 – 591 million)

The Blacklist (152 – 381 million)

Same top 4 again. The Queen's Gambit continues being a juggernaut claiming the top spot for a third week in a row. The Crown S4 enters at #5, but keep in mind that it came out on the 15th so those are some impressive looking numbers.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PEN15
Handmaid's Tale
Letterkenny
Animaniacs
Castle Rock
Veronica Mars S4
Little Fires Everywhere

All good.
PEN15
Handmaid's Tale

are the big names on Hulu at the moment, maybe the small movies too.

Forgetting what other shit that's not an FX thing.
I'm not speaking at all to the quality of these particular shows. In fact, I would agree those listed -are- the good ones (with most of the rest of Hulu's offerings being substantially lesser than). I actually have seen PEN15, it's great. But if that is one of Hulu's top hits, it very much illustrates my point. These are critical darlings, not shows most people out there are actually tuning in for.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I really did not see a show about chess being a ratings juggernaught coming like... *at all*

That's the power of Netflix IMO. Every other startup streaming platform is pouring huge sums of money into very expensive shows based on existing IPs and yet every quarter or so Netflix just pops up with an out of left field cultural juggernaut like Tiger King or Queen's Gambit.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the power of Netflix IMO. Every other startup streaming platform is pouring huge sums of money into very expensive shows based on existing IPs and yet every quarter or so Netflix just pops up with an out of left field cultural juggernaut like Tiger King or Queen's Gambit.
I do find it interesting what shows actually become hits for Netflix. Personally, I can't discern a consistent trend. It seems almost random. Any show could go the way of Queen's Gambit. But 9 times out of 10 they go the way of something like Top Boy or Virgin River -- where no one even knows it exists or what it's about.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

I could be technical, point out that Queen's Gambit like The Umbrella Academy, Sabrina, Ratched, ... is based on existing IP. They have four drama shows coming up, three based on existing IP and one original IP. I'll point out however that it was Netflix' strategy as well to make very expensive shows on existing IPs like Daredevil, with the difference that Disney owns the IPs they are making stuff from. They don't need to pay for them, they only need to pay for the shows while the rest is internal accounting.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, make no mistake by the way, Netflix is absolutely pouring huge sums of money into IP as well. Ie, Altered Carbon, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Witcher, etc. They just also have this scattershot approach of lower budget truly original programming that hits often enough.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it interesting what shows actually become hits for Netflix. Personally, I can't discern a consistent trend. It seems almost random. Any show could go the way of Queen's Gambit. But 9 times out of 10 they go the way of something like Top Boy or Virgin River -- where no one even knows it exists or what it's about.

Very true. However, anecdotal and all of that, I feel like I see a fair bit of buzz for Virgin River. I've never even heard of Top Boy though.

Even with something like Cobra Kai it's weird- that show had already been out for two years and was very well thought of but it's release on Netflix essentially turned it into a brand new series. And while Cobra Kai ticks the boxes that so many others are going for (revitalizing an existing IP), it's far cheaper to make with decidedly less star power that a lot of other revivals.

I think that really gets into why Netflix seems to be moving away from the huge creative deals they were making a few years ago. They are going to get a far better ROI on a limited series from Scott Frank than they probably will from the entire Ryan Murphy deal even with Ratched's success.

Oh yeah, make no mistake by the way, Netflix is absolutely pouring huge sums of money into IP as well. Ie, Altered Carbon, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Witcher, etc. They just also have this scattershot approach of lower budget truly original programming that hits often enough.

Weren't most of those announced a long time ago? I feel like a lot of that stuff is from the era of the big money creative deals. With how 2020 is panning out I kind of wonder if they will pair back on some of these kind of deals moving forward.