• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 7, 2019

even knowing it was filmed pre-COVID, it feels weird to have season 4 coming only ~7 months after season 3, not that i'm complaining

"In the new season, "Dory" (Alia Shawkat) is held prisoner by her psychotic stalker "Chip" (Cole Escola), who is determined to make Dory believe that they are best friends. Meanwhile, "Portia" (Meredith Hagner) is starring in a film about the trial, although not as herself; "Elliott" (John Early) has switched party lines to become a far-right conservative talk show host; and "Drew" (John Reynolds) is trying to escape his dark past by working as a costumed cast member in a theme park. As the friends begin to connect the dots that Dory might not be touring Europe as her faked social media posts suggest, they must decide whether or not to put their traumatic pasts behind them and once again become a search party - but this time, for Dory."

One of the guest characters is also described as Christmas-obsessed so it's too bad we missed December

Jul 4, 2018
This usually means people just aren't watching. I wouldn't be too optimistic about this being uncancelled a second time.
Agreed. Also funny to think this is a streaming show that was saved by a cable channel and has been cancelled. While The Expanse was a cable show that was saved by streaming also cancelled (although with a final season order)

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

A couple of shows getting cancelled for a second time today.

The way One Day at a Time has been handled sure is one for the books. Three seasons on the biggest streaming platform, with the third season being renewed because of fan outcry, only to have it cancelled after the third season anyway despite audience growth.

Then, an obscure cable network resurrecting it for a fourth season, making it the first show of its kind to jump from streaming to cable. The parent company of that cable network then merges with another company and the show gets more exposure by airing the new season simultaneously on multiple channels with it performing better than its original channel.

Then that fourth season is cut short due to a global pandemic, and the obscure cable channel cancels it half a year after it's last new live-action episode, while the main actress is busy on a competitive reality show about dancing.

Just wow! What a journey this show has been on!

CBS/Pop should have just moved the show to TV Land permanently instead of outright cancelling it. I'm not holding out hope that it'll get resurrected again but, hey, this show has gone through the ringer already.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

A couple of shows getting cancelled for a second time today.

Wait... does this mean they don't even get to finish the season off where they were renewed?

Agreed. Also funny to think this is a streaming show that was saved by a cable channel and has been cancelled. While The Expanse was a cable show that was saved by streaming also cancelled (although with a final season order)

Waaaaait, Amazon cancelled the Expanse?!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why CBS doesn't just toss it into their schedule somewhere. I guess we need yet another Chuck Lorre sitcom...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
One Day at a Time would be better off in CBS All-Access where they won't have to worry about limiting time. Not sure if the network would do stuff like visiting Cuba though.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
One Day at a Time has had more than enough chances at this point. It's a shame but it's a more than reasonable cancelation.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I still absolutely love One Day at a Time, but honestly, the Pop TV episodes never felt right. Maybe it's because they seemingly dropped damn near every storyline they had going, but it just felt so... slight, compared to the Netflix seasons.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I guess we'll never know what would have happened if it wasn't for the pandemic with the rest of the season though. They might have had more planned before it all went sideways.

Oct 28, 2017
The man clearly just wants to make love to that fine Montana soil instead. Also why did they even bother mentioning the pandemic when literally everything but that one closed place was going about their business as usual.

Have you been to Montana recently? It's basically as if the pandemic didn't exist. They also had an insanely low case rate for most of the year, so I guess it really didn't exist much there. I haven't watched the episode, but if it portrays things as business as usual, it was accurate as of September when I was there.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I'm glad it's getting a season 6, but I'm sad the ride is going to end. One of my favorite shows ever so far. Will definitely have to check out the books.
It's not a bad place to stop it. Books 1 - 6 tell a specific story. Books 7 - 9 are basically a sequel story... so they could always come back and do it for a revival down the line.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Have you been to Montana recently? It's basically as if the pandemic didn't exist. They also had an insanely low case rate for most of the year, so I guess it really didn't exist much there. I haven't watched the episode, but if it portrays things as business as usual, it was accurate as of September when I was there.

Maybe so, but in this case it felt rather shoehorned in at the last moment without making much sense. Like, you have two people meet up at a place that is specifically mentioned to be closed due to the pandemic and may not even open up again because of it. There is also a telephone exchange between a trucker and his mom with him saying how his work is even more important now during these times.
And yet throughout the episode we see people at a diner, a bar and background crowds on sidewalks literally bumping into each other.

It just came of weird and stupid and makes you wonder if every show going forward really needs to address the pandemic within there own universe.

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe so, but in this case it felt rather shoehorned in at the last moment without making much sense. Like, you have two people meet up at a place that is specifically mentioned to be closed due to the pandemic and may not even open up again because of it. There is also a telephone exchange between a trucker and his mom with him saying how his work is even more important now during these times.
And yet throughout the episode we see people at a diner, a bar and background crowds on sidewalks literally bumping into each other.

It just came of weird and stupid and makes you wonder if every show going forward really needs to address the pandemic within there own universe.

What you described sounds more or less accurate. Can totally see how it would be jarring though. Agreed that if the pandemic won't really matter, there's no reason to discuss it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Nov-24-TUE.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-tuesday-network-scorecard-11-24-2020.html

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Guessing those are bad numbers for Weakest Link? Too bad I like it and Jane Lynch is a great fill in for Anne Robinson

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
She found a new show quick

tvline.com

Head of The Class: Isabella Gomez Snags Starring Role in HBO Max Reboot

Mere hours after One Day at a Time‘s second cancellation was made official, one of the beloved sitcom’s stars already has a Class-y new gig lined up. Isabella Gomez — who played Elena Alvarez, daughter of Justina Machado’s Penelope, on ODAAT — has landed the starring role in HBO Max‘s...
That was super quick! Also, they're reviving Head of the Class? Talk about a show I haven't heard of in literally decades.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They've got so much original content that gets so little exposure, any Top Whatever list that gets more eyeballs on more shows/movies is a good thing, imo.

Yeah that's why I pointed out anime, with being something that might be recognized a little bit more if they allowed that Top listing bar to scroll over a few more times.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
what stage of production was it at? it started filming last summer so i'd assumed it had wrapped up pre-COVID but apparently not?

i have no idea what led to his departure (I imagine more info will surface soon), but a Whedon show always struck me as off-brand for HBO. but I don't know why HBO would hire him to create a show if they didn't want his sensibility

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprised that the axe came from Whedon.

It always seemed suspicious to me how Whedon's ex-wife accused him of constantly cheating on her with folks on his creations, and he then turns around and creates a show with a primarily young female cast. Seemed like a situation ripe for exploitation for his power, but I guess we won't know for certain what happened unless there's an announcement or a leak.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So is the revival of Saved by the Bell, going to get anyone to fire up the Peacock app? I haven't watching anything on the streamer since downloading it on my PS4 months ago. I plan to check out an episode or 2 this weekend.