• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It isn't a question of Netflix being doomed even with the increased competition, I think it's better framed as 'will Netflix become the Chrome of streaming or the Yahoo?'.
Yes, mostly this. If Netflix "fails" it will be because someone bigger buys them out. Which in turn will only really happen, seems to me, if they stagnate on subscribers counts and don't bring down their spending to pay off their loans. Last I read they had about 2 to 1 loans to equity, but since most of that is invested in shows they then promptly cancel after a season, it seems they can bring down their spending quite easily to match a drop in (projected) growth.

It'll be a while before sub numbers are where they are supposed to be given the covid-19 bump happened, though.

Either way, Netflix is fine, but nowhere near "too big to fail" as they continue to get more competition around the world and continue to increase prices well above said competition. Hulu going worldwide especially should have them a bit worried, at least.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings. Lots of reruns:

Final-Bcast-2020-Nov-02-MON.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-monday-network-scorecard-11-2-2020.html

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Good Doctor 3rd season opened up to a .6.

Anyone remember what last year's average rating was? I thought it was higher than that.
That was the 4th season premiere, not the 3rd. The S3 average was 0.86.

tvseriesfinale.com

The Good Doctor: Season Three Ratings

Last year, despite some steep declines in the ratings, The Good Doctor was ABC's second-highest rated dramatic series (behind Grey's Anatomy) of the

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The Good Doctor is one of those shows that you just stop watching. No real reason, just one week you kinda don't feel like watching or forget to watch and then you just never pick it up again.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
That was the 4th season premiere, not the 3rd. The S3 average was 0.86.

tvseriesfinale.com

The Good Doctor: Season Three Ratings

Last year, despite some steep declines in the ratings, The Good Doctor was ABC's second-highest rated dramatic series (behind Grey's Anatomy) of the

Oh, I mean S4 premiere.

Ok, that's what I thought on it declining. Not sure if that has to do with COVID or just normal decline, but seems a bit steep for the second option. Hope it doesn't continue as would hate to see the show be canceled this year.

Ouch. L.A.'s Finest and Filthy Rich are not in a good way from the looks of it.

Filthy Rich has already been canceled.

The Good Doctor is one of those shows that you just stop watching. No real reason, just one week you kinda don't feel like watching or forget to watch and then you just never pick it up again.

Not for me, I enjoy the show and have watched every week.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I hate it when those higher ups think they know what people want. Sure, some want trash TV, some want popcorn shows, but some DO want these 'prestige' shows that "we haven't heard about!" Honestly, I'm surprised they've invested so much into anime with that anime (and really, many anime viewers are pissed that not all countries get simul-sub releases, but others do...)
I think you misunderstood. It's about making sure shows that have a global impact; Netflix execs have said again and again that big international shows like Money Heist and Dark are the real jewels of Netflix's collection, instead of small prestige award-bait dramas like Ozark.

I also like them, of course, but a big corporation thinking about the international market instead of just American interests is pretty huge.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think you misunderstood. It's about making sure shows that have a global impact; Netflix execs have said again and again that big international shows like Money Heist and Dark are the real jewels of Netflix's collection, instead of small prestige award-bait dramas like Ozark.

I also like them, of course, but a big corporation thinking about the international market instead of just American interests is pretty huge.

Ah, yeah I totally viewed it in a different angle there.

A balance of both, in that case, is nice. International shows have been nice to see, and those with appeal to more than just NA. But (although I haven't watched it yet but it's on the list), it's nice to see stuff like Ozark get done as well.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ah, yeah I totally viewed it in a different angle there.

A balance of both, in that case, is nice. International shows have been nice to see, and those with appeal to more than just NA. But (although I haven't watched it yet but it's on the list), it's nice to see stuff like Ozark get done as well.
Yeah, I do think it's great if Netflix becomes the place for "shows no one else picks up". But they're too big for that now. =/

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Without spoiling anything, what is it actually about?

All I know is that one of the two actresses from the movie 'Thoroughbreds' is the leading character.

Quite fancy watching something in-between waiting for the next episode of 'The Mandalorian' ... 😊

it's about a chess prodigy, and how her chase to be the best leads to some dark paths (as it usualy does with geniuses, if you know what I mean). Taylor-Joy is fantastic in it, but the whole thing is very compelling and well written.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I sure hope Primal gets a renewal. Such a unique series, and the way it ended, makes it look like another season is planned. I like how they only have each section/season with a short 5 eps. The time is well-filled.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Queen's Gambit is probably my show of the year for Ratsky's thread next month, granted I didnt watch many new shows this year (havent watched Raised by Wolves for example).

In fact looking at my 52 thread list, I'm struggling to find 10 seasons from this year in there >_>

Queen's Gambit
Umbrella Academy S2
The Boys S2
Castlevania S3
What we do in the Shadows S2
Lucifer Season 5
Bly Manor

...err...Locke and Key I guess? Was Sabrina Part 3 this year? and those would just be there by default to make 10, not like I loved them :/

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, something seems to be wonky with ShowBuzzDaily. Doesn't seem to always be consistent for many of us. Still appreciate the post though because usually my work PC or phone can see the posts

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
At first I thought it was just my work filter blocking these images, but it looks like the domain is blocking external referrers now:

M2vPyac.png
Yeah, it sucks that some people can't see the image, but the links I provide take you directly to the same image, so you should still see it on Showbuzzdaily's website (hopefully).

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Yoooo, give this member a high five! Fixed ti for me as well.

Yeah really, give them all the internet points. It's one thing to not be able to see TV viewership numbers, but it was starting to affect tutorials and things I need for work. And I googled around for hours before making the thread, there's no articles or anything out there

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH