• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I would guess Paramount+ still does weekly releases much like CBS All Access, it's really only Netflix now that forces the binge model, even Amazon has moved to weekly for their biggest shows.

I suppose that's true if Paramount+ does weekly releases. Streaming seems to be a mixed bag, I know The Boys shifted to weekly but I remember Upload, Homecoming dropping all at once for Amazon.

Hulu dropped Woke, Monsterland, Helstrom, PEN15 all at once. Not sure what they have coming up, they would switch to weekly to really generate buzz.

Jul 4, 2018
I suppose that's true if Paramount+ does weekly releases. Streaming seems to be a mixed bag, I know The Boys shifted to weekly but I remember Upload, Homecoming dropping all at once for Amazon.

Hulu dropped Woke, Monsterland, Helstrom, PEN15 all at once. Not sure what they have coming up, they would switch to weekly to really generate buzz.
Hulu does Drama originals and FX on Hulu stuff 3 episodes then weekly I think. Comedy is generally binge. Amazon going to do The Expanse as weekly now as well so seems The Boys did well enough S2 compared to S1.

I imagine Paramount+ does stay weekly so they can have Star Trek close to year round (that seems to be their big selling point.)

For the most part I think weekly heightens the trends of performance on streaming, if your show is good/well loved it'll do well weekly; if it sucks it'll do worse than it would as a binge as few will pick it up again second week.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
template-i-dont-want-to-play-with-you-anymore-999-0c6db91aec9c.jpeg

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Also, The Twilight Zone on CBS AA switched from weekly releases to all at once for season two

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hulu does Drama originals and FX on Hulu stuff 3 episodes then weekly I think. Comedy is generally binge. Amazon going to do The Expanse as weekly now as well so seems The Boys did well enough S2 compared to S1.

I imagine Paramount+ does stay weekly so they can have Star Trek close to year round (that seems to be their big selling point.)

For the most part I think weekly heightens the trends of performance on streaming, if your show is good/well loved it'll do well weekly; if it sucks it'll do worse than it would as a binge as few will pick it up again second week.
The Boys S2 did the 3 eps on day 1 and then weekly release schedule too. Honestly I think that is the way to go. Give people a little binge since they've been waiting so long/to get them into it, then go weekly. HBO Max's model of 2 per week is also interesting and I don't hate it. These sort of hybrid models I think are a lot better than either purely weekly or purely binge.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The Boys S2 did the 3 eps on day 1 and then weekly release schedule too. Honestly I think that is the way to go. Give people a little binge since they've been waiting so long/to get them into it, then go weekly. HBO Max's model of 2 per week is also interesting and I don't hate it. These sort of hybrid models I think are a lot better than either purely weekly or purely binge.
Agreed. It's the best of both worlds. Either variation works too

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

TV in November 2020 - What are you watching? OT

A blessedly light month following the deluge of October 😅 ~ Recent Highlights ~ PEN15 - Hulu Raised by Wolves - HBO MAX Ted Lasso - Apple TV+ The Third Day - HBO ~ November Sunday, 1 Roadkill - PBS - 9/8c Monday, 2 Can You Hear Me? - Netflix The Good Doctor - ABC - 10/9c...

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Superstore's opening was strange both because of America Ferrera's return and because it was a summary of the last 6 months. Pandemic-related TV is going to be so strange...

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know that, would think Twilight Zone would still be one of their bigger non Star Trek shows so that's somewhat surprising. Maybe Paramount+ will be super selective and only their massive shows go weekly.

I haven't really seen any sort of talk or hype for this Twilight Zone remake at all besides just a little bit when it was first announced. If they're dropping all the episodes at once I'm guessing it's probably not doing all that well.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of November 1:

1.) The Queen's Gambit (Limited Series)
2.) The Haunting of Bly Manor (Season 1)
3.) Blood of Zeus (Season 1) (NEW)
4.) Barbarians (Season 1)
5.) The Great British Baking Show (Collections 1-8)
6.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
7.) Grand Army (Season 1)
8.) Unsolved Mysteries (Volumes 1-2)
9.) Schitt's Creek (Seasons 1-6)
10.) The Office US (Seasons 1-9)

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Brave New World is cancelled or not...? never know in this thread lol...I am enjoying the season so far...(I will google).

EDIT: Yep :( but ''UCP, the studio behind the drama, will now look to shop the series to new platforms.''

Maybe Netflix.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

6.) Cocomelon (Season 1)

This is a pretty good example of part of the reason why Netflix is so big, the sheer variety and having something for everyone.

1. Chess drama with standout performance
2. Gothic horror? series
3. Greek animated action
4. Historical action
5. Reality cooking
6. Kids stuff
7. Teen drama
8. Reality mystery
9. Popular new sitcom
10. Popular classic sitcom

All serving up different slices of the pie.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of being completely out of touch, Simon Pegg has a new TV show? lol

Also Sarah Z did a video about the Sherlock fandom and I forgot that madness happened. lol

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

6.) Cocomelon (Season 1)

Haunting has been holding nicely all month. I expect Netflix will want to greenlight another round. A new Haunting show every other year fits their schedule nicely.

I assume Midnight Mass will be teed up for October next year.

Jul 4, 2018
others acknowledge that the upheaval has contributed to a culture of confusion and uncertainty. "Since Cindy left, it's a lot of 'We're figuring it out' and 'We can't come back to you on that right now,'" says a top Netflix producer who's seen a handful of projects fall apart as metrics, mandates and execs seem to have changed. "At a certain point, someone has to say, 'I fucking love this show,' and right now people there are afraid to say that."
Under Bajaria, who garnered a reputation for her financial efficiency in her international role, the company's producer deals — in many cases, eight- and nine figure pacts — are already getting a closer look. And plenty inside say that her push for more financial discipline and an explicit focus on delivering at least one "loud" series (and not simply a cadre of smaller passion projects) is justified given the paychecks being doled out to Netflix's creators. Says one exec there who'd watched as budgets ballooned in the past regardless of a project's commerciality: "The idea of doing more prestige shows that nobody knows are on isn't interesting."

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think this passage from the HR article is kind of key:

And plenty inside say that her push for more financial discipline and an explicit focus on delivering at least one "loud" series (and not simply a cadre of smaller passion projects) is justified given the paychecks being doled out to Netflix's creators.

A lot of the initial series that we are seeing from these mega deals just don't seem super-commercial.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It was good while it lasted~

I hate it when those higher ups think they know what people want. Sure, some want trash TV, some want popcorn shows, but some DO want these 'prestige' shows that "we haven't heard about!" Honestly, I'm surprised they've invested so much into anime with that anime (and really, many anime viewers are pissed that not all countries get simul-sub releases, but others do...)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Queen's Gambit. It was excellent overall and I didn't think I'd be into it at all. I thought it would be too dark for my tastes, and it was definitely dark but so compellingly written and acted that I had to keep clicking the 'next episode' button. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested.

Jul 4, 2018
we back on the Netflix is doomed train I see
I don't think that Netflix with its 200m subs is doomed. That being said on the TV side there is clearly some cultural issues at the moment with the change of management and this is already influencing programming decisions for the future.

Also fair to say Netflix isn't the only big player in streaming any more and it's also getting crowded in the SVOD arena.

Jul 4, 2018
It isn't a question of Netflix being doomed even with the increased competition, I think it's better framed as 'will Netflix become the Chrome of streaming or the Yahoo?'.
Yeah that's a good analogy, will it be the dominate player or just one of many. I personally think it will be the latter as people like having choice (and have a diverse set of tastes) although I imagine it'll still have more subs than the others.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Man, this quote is just so spot on and sums up where we are right now...

"The idea of doing more prestige shows that nobody knows are on isn't interesting."