• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

What a load of absolute corporate bobbins.

22 million means zilch when all your cable customers get the free version folded into their bundles for nothing. Of all the big streamers that are currently duking it out in the streaming wars it feels like Peacock has the least identity. What is it at this point? It just feels like a 'digital NBC' which is fine if that's what they are going for but it feels a little weak if they are really intending to go 'head to head' with the likes of Paramount + never mind the big hitters out there.

Meaningless number without disclosing how many of these are paid, how many of these are active, and how much engagement these have.

Another great point. How many of those supposed millions of users did nothing more than click into it, find nothing to watch and then 'click out' never to return?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
What a load of absolute corporate bobbins.

22 million means zilch when all your cable customers get the free version folded into their bundles for nothing. Of all the big streamers that are currently duking it out in the streaming wars it feels like Peacock has the least identity. What is it at this point? It just feels like a 'digital NBC' which is fine if that's what they are going for but it feels a little weak if they are really intending to go 'head to head' with the likes of Paramount + never mind the big hitters out there.

Another great point. How many of those supposed millions of users did nothing more than click into it, find nothing to watch and then 'click out' never to return?

Didn't Quibi also originally boast "look at how many people signed up!" without taking into account most were just using the free time frame and then cancelling when it's over?

I know Peacock also has a free version w/ads (haven't really looked into it myself yet), so this can also maybe account for those numbers? Lots of variables here, but nothing to boast about just yet.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Schitt' Creek gets that Emmy bump to take the top spot in Nielsen streaming for Sept 28- Oct. 4

deadline.com

‘Schitt’s Creek’ Tops Nielsen Streaming List, ‘Enola’ & ‘Ratched’ Remain In Top 10

Schitt's Creek has climbed up the Nielsen streaming charts, unseating Ryan Murphy's Ratched.

Schitt's Creek (80) – 968 million

The Office (192) – 929 million

The Blacklist
(152) – 852 million

Grey's Anatomy (361) – 852 million

Ratched (8) – 791 billion

American Murder: Family Next Door (1) – 778 million

The Boys (15) – 655 million

Criminal Minds (277) – 604 million

NCIS (353) – 584 million

Enola Holmes (1) – 573 billion

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I guess the ad revenue is enough to keep Amazon invested in imdbTV. Wish Nikita wasn't stuck on that service.

tvline.com

Judge Judy Sheindlin’s New Courtroom Program Lands on IMDb TV

Judy Sheindlin will next be wielding her gavel for IMDb TV, the new home for her Judge Judy follow-up series. With Judge Judy set to wrap its 25-year run in 2021 — during which it won three Daytime Emmys for Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program, while its host netted a Lifetime Achievement award...

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Schitt' Creek gets that Emmy bump to take the top spot in Nielsen streaming for Sept 28- Oct. 4

deadline.com

‘Schitt’s Creek’ Tops Nielsen Streaming List, ‘Enola’ & ‘Ratched’ Remain In Top 10

Schitt's Creek has climbed up the Nielsen streaming charts, unseating Ryan Murphy's Ratched.

Netlfix has to be looking at a Schitt's Creek movie or spin off series. It gets so more views than all but their top stuff and has to be very cheap to produce.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the ad revenue is enough to keep Amazon invested in imdbTV. Wish Nikita wasn't stuck on that service.

tvline.com

Judge Judy Sheindlin’s New Courtroom Program Lands on IMDb TV

Judy Sheindlin will next be wielding her gavel for IMDb TV, the new home for her Judge Judy follow-up series. With Judge Judy set to wrap its 25-year run in 2021 — during which it won three Daytime Emmys for Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program, while its host netted a Lifetime Achievement award...
Why do they have that service when they have Amazon Prime anyway?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
deadline.com

Netflix To Raise U.S. Prices On Certain Tiers, First Hike Since January 2019

Netflix is raising the subscription price to its standard and premium plans in the U.S., the first such hikes since January 2019.
The service confirmed Thursday that it is raising the price of its HD Standard plan to $13.99 from $12.99, and its 4K Premium plan to $17.99 from $15 over the next two months. The prices take effect today for new members, with current subscribers to be notified 30 days ahead of their price increase based on their billing cycle.

The entry-level plan remains fixed at $8.99 per month.

"We understand people have more entertainment choices than ever and we're committed to delivering an even better experience for our members," the company said in statement. "We're updating our prices so that we can continue to offer more variety of TV shows and films — in addition to our great fall lineup. As always we offer a range of plans so that people can pick a price that works best for their budget."

"We know our competition costs less and we cancelled all your faves, but please give us even more money. If it's too expensive you can watch in 480p on your phone for a normal price, it worked for Quibi, right?"

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Meaningless number without disclosing how many of these are paid, how many of these are active, and how much engagement these have.

Yep.
I personally signed up for the free tier and used it maybe 3 or 4 times. I can't imagine I'm the only one who has barely touched Peacock.

Honestly I have a feeling that in a few years both CBS and NBC/Universal will be mostly licesining out their content to other companies. CBS/Paramount All Access and Peacock will probably still exist but I think we'll see a situation like in the PC game industry where companies like Microsoft, Bethesda and EA see the value of putting their content on Steam in addition to their own stores to make as much money from as many different places as possible.

Jul 4, 2018

😂😂😂😂

"Corporate and Other primarily relates to corporate operations, Comcast Spectacor and Peacock. Revenue for the quarter ended September 30, 2020 was $84 million, an increase of $42 millioncompared to 2019. Corporate and Other Adjusted EBITDA loss was $496 million, an increase of $259 million compared to 2019, primarily due to costs associated with Peacock."

Source: https://www.cmcsa.com/news-releases/news-release-details/comcast-reports-3rd-quarter-2020-results

I don't know if you can call less than $100m (probably less than $50m) in revenue in a quarter the opposite of Quibi.

I posted this in another forum I'm part of:

"I mean even if we are generous and say $66m is from Peacock that's only $3 a sign up but then you need to account for the fact there is 3 months in a quarter so only $1 per signup per month."

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
They'd have to work out a deal with the CBC and at least some of the cast but given what Netflix pays for content that should be manageable.

I imagine a deal where CBC gets a TV Broadcast premiere for a movie, followed by it going to Netflix, would work out for both sides (as long as the window between airing on TV and being put on Netflix was pretty tight).

This is assuming that creatively, the gang would want to get back together. I assume they would, as they could now command a pretty penny/get to experience putting out new SC content while they're in the cultural zeitgest.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
But why not just make it free on Prime? lol
Is the imdb brand really that strong?

This just reminds me of when Anime News Network decided to try to start getting into the anime streaming business and it just didn't make sense.
Prime Video is intended as an incentive to get a prime sub, they probably don't want to devalue the service by adding a free tier with ads.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
But why not just make it free on Prime? lol
Is the imdb brand really that strong?

This just reminds me of when Anime News Network decided to try to start getting into the anime streaming business and it just didn't make sense.
Aside from what was said above, people do go to IMDb for different reasons than Amazon. There's value in being able to launch something directly from their website.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from what was said above, people do go to IMDb for different reasons than Amazon. There's value in being able to launch something directly from their website.
I assume the thinking with ANN was "hey, we're IMDB but for anime, so why not stream shows as well?" and it just didn't fit because people never saw them as a media service and eventually fizzled out. Of course they also accidentally leaked episodes before their Japanese air date which probably didn't help their relationships either.

But maybe the imdb streaming service is like Crackle and somehow secretly has a huge number of users.

Prime Video is intended as an incentive to get a prime sub, they probably don't want to devalue the service by adding a free tier with ads.
I could have sworn you could watch stuff for free on Amazon, but maybe that was ages ago or I'm imaging that...

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
It's actually happening, I thought it was a joke.

'The Suicide Squad' HBO Max Spinoff Series 'Peacemaker' Adds Steve Agee

Gunn is writing the eight-episode Peacemaker series and directing a number of the episodes. More characters from Gunn's Suicide Squad could possibly make the jump to the series. The series explores the origins of Cena's Peacemaker character, a guy who believes in peace at any cost — no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
😂😂😂😂

"Corporate and Other primarily relates to corporate operations, Comcast Spectacor and Peacock. Revenue for the quarter ended September 30, 2020 was $84 million, an increase of $42 millioncompared to 2019. Corporate and Other Adjusted EBITDA loss was $496 million, an increase of $259 million compared to 2019, primarily due to costs associated with Peacock."

Source: https://www.cmcsa.com/news-releases/news-release-details/comcast-reports-3rd-quarter-2020-results

I don't know if you can call less than $100m (probably less than $50m) in revenue in a quarter the opposite of Quibi.

I posted this in another forum I'm part of:

"I mean even if we are generous and say $66m is from Peacock that's only $3 a sign up but then you need to account for the fact there is 3 months in a quarter so only $1 per signup per month."

Wow even worse than I thought. Yeah unless there's a huge upswing in popularity of Peacock I imagine my guess that NBC will start licensing out their content to other services like Netflix again will happen.

Again related to the Steam thing I posted earlier, here's someone who was a former VP at Square Enix talking about how expensive it is to get new customers:

While you can't compare videogames and streaming services 1:1 it gives you a good idea how expensive it is to attract new customers. When everything was said and done including the costs of charge backs and acquiring new customers it cost more than Valve's 30% cut of sales on Steam. II imagine many of these newer streaming services are going to be bleeding money for years and licensing out to Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu is going to look super appealing soon.

Jul 4, 2018
Wow even worse than I thought. Yeah unless there's a huge upswing in popularity of Peacock I imagine my guess that NBC will start licensing out their content to other services like Netflix again will happen.

Again related to the Steam thing I posted earlier, here's someone who was a former VP at Square Enix talking about how expensive it is to get new customers:

While you can't compare videogames and streaming services 1:1 it gives you a good idea how expensive it is to attract new customers. When everything was said and done including the costs of charge backs and acquiring new customers it cost more than Valve's 30% cut of sales on Steam. II imagine many of these newer streaming services are going to be bleeding money for years and licensing out to Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu is going to look super appealing soon.

They'll probably at least wait until after the Olympics to reassess that was meant to be their big draw.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably at least wait until after the Olympics to reassess that was meant to be their big draw.

Oh yeah I think it will be a few years before we start to see some of these new streaming services go away, especially from some of the established players who have more money to burn compared to someone new like Quibi.

Jul 4, 2018
Oh yeah I think it will be a few years before we start to see some of these new streaming services go away, especially from some of the established players who have more money to burn compared to someone new like Quibi.
Yeah, they'll be given a bit of runway for sure. But outside of Disney been some major mishaps for the others so far. Maybe they can turn it around though.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Good article on the 1st year of Disney+. Personally, I just subscribed again tonight to watch The Mandalorian on a weekly basis, after not having the service for months. Wandavision is supposed to drop next month, but after those 2 complete their seasons, not sure what they will have right after to keep me subscribed. Especially if they are waiting to release Falcon and Winter Soldier after Black Widow in May.

www.vulture.com

Let’s Evaluate Disney+’s First Year

What the platform has done right, and where it can grow.

Jul 4, 2018
Good article on the 1st year of Disney+. Personally, I just subscribed again tonight to watch The Mandalorian on a weekly basis, after not having the service for months. Wandavision is supposed to drop next month, but after those 2 complete their seasons, not sure what they will have right after to keep me subscribed. Especially if they are waiting to release Falcon and Winter Soldier after Black Widow in May.

www.vulture.com

Let’s Evaluate Disney+’s First Year

What the platform has done right, and where it can grow.
A bit preemptive they could of waited for the next earnings which is November 12th (the one year anniversary) to see how many subs it actually has after a one year period. I do agree with the article that Disney+ has used the Disney brand name (as well as the other brands) and library content to boost/retain subs whilst originals have been week (largely hampered by COVID)

Also WandaVision is likely in December, not next month unless there was an announcement from Disney I missed. They even put out there November list of content drops and it's not featured there.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
A bit preemptive they could of waited for the next earnings which is November 12th (the one year anniversary) to see how many subs it actually has after a one year period. I do agree with the article that Disney+ has used the Disney brand name (as well as the other brands) and library content to boost/retain subs whilst originals have been week (largely hampered by COVID)

Also WandaVision is likely in December, not next month unless there was an announcement from Disney I missed. They even put out there November list of content drops and it's not featured there.

My mistake, my mind is already in November since there are only a couple days left in October.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Oct-29-THU.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-network-scorecard-10-29-2020.html

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Kenya Barris In Talks With ViacomCBS To Partner In New Studio, Eyes Exit From Netflix Deal

Barris is midway through a mega overall deal at Netflix. According to sources, the streamer is considering letting Barris out of his deal to pursue the big opportunity of co-owning a studio. Reps for Netflix and ViacomCBS declined comment.

I guess that's the end for BlackAF. Guess who next?

'Filthy Rich' & 'NeXt' Canceled At Fox

The network will not renew either series for a second season, though both shows will see out their current runs. Low ratings — both shows are averaging a 0.5/3 in the adults 18-49 demo — and uncertainty are behind the cancellation of the series, which were both originally intended for summer runs.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Barris shifting to an equity arrangement with Viacom would be a big shift in the recent mega-deal environment to me. If he put together a huge hit it could be even more profitable but also obviously way less of a guarantee. I don't think Netlfix would let Kenya out of his deal unless they were looking to stop giving out these huge paydays.

Jul 4, 2018
Those Netflix deals were all so bad, the economics didn't make any sense when they first happened and now that Netflix barely lets anything live past 3 seasons they make even less sense. I mean clearly they wanted catalogue titles of their own similar to Greys, AHS and Black-ish but was always going to be a stretch now no way in hell that happens.

Plus I'm pretty sure the people that got these deals done are long gone with the turnover of the TV team at Netflix, may as well let them out if they want out early.

Jul 4, 2018

Live look at Netflix execs reaction:
Many+Faces+of+HaHa+Running+Man+(17).gif

When they realise the same thing is happening with Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes (the Mouse is fucking them big time):
tumblr_mav2t4vSEm1qa8g36o1_500.gif

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious failures of the race for big overalls would be funnier if it didn't coincide with most of the companies doing cost-cutting on all the below-the-line areas of production.

But it definitely remains hilarious that folks like Barris act surprised that he found Netflix's content pipeline, priorities, and culture to be so different from a place like ABC. Did he not open his eyes or do any research before signing? It rings so stupid.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
In recent months, Barris has been vocal with his frustrations at Netflix, using several press opportunities to bemoan such things as the inability to be timely on the platform in the way he once was in network television. He's also talked openly about how there are parts of him that miss the sort of oversight that a Disney offered him, suggesting "you can author your own demise at Netflix if you're not careful."

Though when the new regime decided to air it and re-air other timely Black-ish episodes amid the civil unrest this summer, Barris praised the executives there and waxed on about how much he'd missed being a part of the water cooler conversation. At one point, there were even rumblings that Barries may try to go back to Disney.

ABC is the perfect place for Black-ish they give it 7 maybe 8 seasons and a lot of spinoffs. But it's also totally their fault for the fallout, they refused to air his police-brutality episode.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Barris jumping from Netflix to ViacomCBS seems like a good deal for him (money wise), if he will have actual ownership stake in a studio. Not sure if that fixes his desire to be timely with content, unless he is producing stuff for CBS now. Could help Paramount+ I guess.

He still seems to be doing stuff for ABC as well, so maybe #blackAF goes through for Season 2. I found it to be a pretty quick binge, but pretty similar to blackish. Would be curious to see some more of his TV work outside of the -ish universe. I remember him having something with Toni Collete (maybe a spy drama) in the works that didn't get picked up.

Jul 4, 2018
Barris jumping from Netflix to ViacomCBS seems like a good deal for him (money wise), if he will have actual ownership stake in a studio. Not sure if that fixes his desire to be timely with content, unless he is producing stuff for CBS now. Could help Paramount+ I guess.
I would guess Paramount+ still does weekly releases much like CBS All Access, it's really only Netflix now that forces the binge model, even Amazon has moved to weekly for their biggest shows.