• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ted Lasso really worth it?

I don't know why I'm always so skeptical about Apple TV's shows. When I sit down and actually watch some of their stuff, it's often genuinely great (For All Mankind...)
But my first reflex is always the same with 99% of what's coming out of Apple TV. I can't explain it.
It's definitely worth it. It's not going to blow your mind, but it's a very pleasant and feel good comedy without just being extremely corny.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
V11tzNX.gif

cBS77tG.gif

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ted Lasso is like perfectly fine.

If you want a sports comedy though, you should watch the last season of Brockmire which I think hits many of the same notes, but adds a layer of weirdness that leaves an impression.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, Ted Lasso is like perfectly fine.

If you want a sports comedy though, you should watch the last season of Brockmire which I think hits many of the same notes, but adds a layer of weirdness that leaves an impression.

The crazy thing about Brockmire is that due to the status quo changing so much, each season is almost like a different show.

I prefer 2 and 3, but watching 4 in April 2020 was....whoah.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Ted Lasso is amazing.

It's increasingly difficult to make a heartwarming show that is actually entertaining to people. There's lots of us cynics out there that normally shun stuff that has a soft center but Lasso bucks the trend. It's so earnest but by God it's great fun

Anyone know when season 2 is slated to drop?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brave New World cancelled by Peacock
not a good look to cancel the first big original you advertised the service with
I wonder when Comcast will pull the plug on Peacock and just settle for licensing their stuff to the other services again. Of course, I am sure they don't -want- to do that, but not all of these services were ever going to be simultaneously successful... and I don't personally see that path forward for them to be one of the successful services if they don't even have faith in their biggest year one project. I thought Peacock could have been a contender, but right now it seems worse off than CBS AA... which initially (still?) was surviving solely off Star Trek... but at least it had that. Peacock has... ???

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Ted Lasso is amazing.

It's increasingly difficult to make a heartwarming show that is actually entertaining to people. There's lots of us cynics out there that normally shun stuff that has a soft center but Lasso bucks the trend. It's so earnest but by God it's great fun

Anyone know when season 2 is slated to drop?
Yeah, it could have very easily been Major League and played to those tropes given the setup.
It's funny because Glee is on my mind and in some ways it reminds me of that first season in terms of the character development and the general arc.

The crazy thing about Brockmire is that due to the status quo changing so much, each season is almost like a different show.

I prefer 2 and 3, but watching 4 in April 2020 was....whoah.
Haha I watched it pre-pandemic but I guess a dystopian baseball future would have rung a little more deeper then.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder when Comcast will pull the plug on Peacock and just settle for licensing their stuff to the other services again. Of course, I am sure they don't -want- to do that, but not all of these services were ever going to be simultaneously successful... and I don't personally see that path forward for them to be one of the successful services if they don't even have faith in their biggest year one project. I thought Peacock could have been a contender, but right now it seems worse off than CBS AA... which initially (still?) was surviving solely off Star Trek... but at least it had that. Peacock has... ???

They're working on Battlestar Galactica and the Fresh Prince reboot as a drama at least.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're working on Battlestar Galactica and the Fresh Prince reboot as a drama at least.
I know, but is Battlestar really going to fare better than Brave New World? Especially given the still fairly recent high quality Ron Moore BSG series, which it will be unavoidably compared to?

Fresh Prince I think could potentially do well, and it's certainly a better idea than Saved by the Bell (even if it's a similar vein they are tapping there). But I'm still not convinced it will be a real draw for this service.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Peacock is supposed to have more of a sports focus than the other streaming services. It was originally going to launch at the same time as the summer Olympics and have a lot of secondary events. Comcast won't even think about winding it up until they see how that works in 2021.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

The Office I guess.
Most of their global hits belong to other studios like Friends, Seinfeld, This is Us, Frasier.....
Still people in US love dozens of dozens Chicago shows and Law and Order.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How does someone that's in this thread so regularly miss so many things? lol

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ Drama Reboot in the Works

Logo text Now this is a story all about how … a viral YouTube trailer is becoming a hot TV series. Will Smith and Morgan Cooper are teaming to adapt the latter’s dramatic reimagining of the former’s beloved NBC comedy The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Bel-Air is described as a dramatic take on the...

looks at thread title 😎

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peacock is supposed to have more of a sports focus than the other streaming services. It was originally going to launch at the same time as the summer Olympics and have a lot of secondary events. Comcast won't even think about winding it up until they see how that works in 2021.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are winding down soon, they only just launched and they're not Quibi. I agree it will last through 2021. They just are clearly off to a not-good start and I'm not seeing any shows in development right now (ie, would premiere next year or in 2022) that would really move the needle on getting people to subscribe en masse.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

Logo text Now this is a story all about how … a viral YouTube trailer is becoming a hot TV series. Will Smith and Morgan Cooper are teaming to adapt the latter’s dramatic reimagining of the former’s beloved NBC comedy The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Bel-Air is described as a dramatic take on the...

looks at thread title 😎

Aren't sitcoms cheaper to produce and make more profit than any else in the long run. Netflix paid hundreds of millions dollars every year for Friends's licence ww.

Why studios stop making them? Is it because good sitcom writers are dying breed? Studios just giving up producing them?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

looks at thread title 😎
lol
I miss having a good TV podcast to follow. Although I guess even now since I don't go anywhere that wouldn't be helpful either.

The premise or fake trailer doesn't look bad actually... I don't get why you'd need the Fresh Prince "name" behind it for the real show. Well, I know you do it because it's easy PR for you, but unless Will Smith is the new Uncle Philip you're also bringing such unnecessary baggage to the new property.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend The Watch, although they cover more than just TV.

Also TV's Top 5 podcast does a good job of covering all the TV headlines and has really good showrunner interviews.

Yeah I sub to the Watch but rarely listen because it's more of a media podcast.

But I had no idea Hollywood Reporter started a new podcast (with Feinberg of all people) once Tim Goodman quit.
I don't get why Sepinwall gave up, but this could be the next best thing. lol

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I sub to the Watch but rarely listen because it's more of a media podcast.

But I had no idea Hollywood Reporter started a new podcast (with Feinberg of all people) once Tim Goodman quit.
I don't get why Sepinwall gave up, but this could be the next best thing. lol

Yeah, I miss The Firewall and Iceberg podcast, but have grown to enjoy Dan's chemistry with Lesly Goldberg. He brings the critic angle and she brings the reporter side to the podcast.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I miss The Firewall and Iceberg podcast, but have grown to enjoy Dan's chemistry with Lesly Goldberg. He brings the critic angle and she brings the reporter side to the podcast.
I always found it odd that Feinberg didn't show up on Goodman's podcast despite working together, but since he didn't start his own show at the time I assumed he didn't want to podcast anymore.

Incidentally, I guess we'll never know what Goodman did after quitting TV criticism. lol

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I always found it odd that Feinberg didn't show up on Goodman's podcast despite working together, but since he didn't start his own show at the time I assumed he didn't want to podcast anymore.

Incidentally, I guess we'll never know what Goodman did after quitting TV criticism. lol

I think Tim already had Jason as his co-host on The Bastard Machine, and that podcast was separate from THR and didn't really have guests. I forgot about Goodman and his new job, lol. Haven't checked his Twitter feed, but all the hints he gave sounded like he would be a consultant of some kind. Maybe dealing with music.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't find out Julia Butters had left American Housewife until the episode today.

deadline.com

‘American Housewife’ Recasts Anna-Kat Role With Giselle Eisenberg As Julia Butters Exits ABC Comedy

EXCLUSIVE: Life In Pieces alumna Giselle Eisenberg will take over the character of 10-year-old Anna-Kat on ABC‘s American Housewife as the comedy series returns for a fifth season. She replaces original cast member Julia Butters who is leaving the show to pursue other opportunities...

That'll take some getting used to and is a crying shame, she was great.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tim already had Jason as his co-host on The Bastard Machine, and that podcast was separate from THR and didn't really have guests. I forgot about Goodman and his new job, lol. Haven't checked his Twitter feed, but all the hints he gave sounded like he would be a consultant of some kind. Maybe dealing with music.
Yeah maybe. His website is pretty out of date anyway.
And I always thought it was a THR podcast but oh well. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't sitcoms cheaper to produce and make more profit than any else in the long run. Netflix paid hundreds of millions dollars every year for Friends's licence ww.

Why studios stop making them? Is it because good sitcom writers are dying breed? Studios just giving up producing them?

The network economic model for sitcoms doesn't really work in the "new TV" era. Sony has announced they're not doing them anymore and several other of the independent studios are rumored to follow suit.

deadline.com

Network Comedies’ Future Threatened By Outdated Broadcast Business Model

Independent studios may be walking away from the broadcast comedy genre as the decades-old broadcast model becomes increasingly non-viable.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Comcast's Peacock At Nearly 22 Million Sign-Ups; Q3 Sales, Profit Dip; Theme Park, Theatrical Revenues Plunge

Peacock sign-ups hit 22 million, exceeding every internal engagement metric for the new streaming service — even without the Olympics or The Office — the company said Thursday. At last check — a media conference in mid-September — it had 15 million sign-ups, which was up 50% from the 10 million Comcast reported with its second quarter numbers in July.

The service launched in April for Comcast customers and went wide in July. At an investor day in January, NBCU and Comcast execs issued forecast 30 to 35 million active users and the service hitting breakeven by 2024.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't find out Julia Butters had left American Housewife until the episode today.

deadline.com

‘American Housewife’ Recasts Anna-Kat Role With Giselle Eisenberg As Julia Butters Exits ABC Comedy

EXCLUSIVE: Life In Pieces alumna Giselle Eisenberg will take over the character of 10-year-old Anna-Kat on ABC‘s American Housewife as the comedy series returns for a fifth season. She replaces original cast member Julia Butters who is leaving the show to pursue other opportunities...

That'll take some getting used to and is a crying shame, she was great.
Found out last night as well. Was 1 minute into the episode and started Googling to find out what happened lol

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Amazon Grabs Former TNT Thriller ‘Tell Me Your Secrets’

Former TNT series <em>Tell Me Your Secrets</em>, which the cabler scrapped after ordering it to series, will see the light of day after all.
Former TNT series Tell Me Your Secrets, which the cabler scrapped after ordering it to series, will see the light of day after all.

Amazon has acquired the psychological thriller, created by Harriet Warner (Call the Midwife) and starring Lily Rabe, Amy Brenneman, Hamish Linklater and Enrique Murciano. It's set to debut in 2021 on the company's Prime Video platform.

The pickup caps a circuitous journey for the project, which counts Big Little Lies' Bruna Papandrea among its executive producers. TNT ordered a pilot for the show, then called Deadlier Than the Male, in 2017 on the heels of Big Little Lies' breakout first season on HBO.

The WarnerMedia cable network gave the show a series order in February 2018, with production taking place later that year. The entire series was then filmed and sat on the shelf for a couple of years. In June, TNT, TBS and TruTV general manager Brett Weitz confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Tell Me Your Secrets was dead at TNT, saying that it just "wasn't right" for the network.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meaningless number without disclosing how many of these are paid, how many of these are active, and how much engagement these have.
100%

"We're doing great! We definitely won't be another Quibi!" Meanwhile, canceled the highest profile original series on the platform, profits are down, and more layoffs are imminent.