• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Cutting the cord and Game of Thrones ending would be my guess for the drop. They are actually doing the opposite of pulling out of markets and are doubling down and buying out a lot of local partners in order to get HBO MAX to launch in markets like Latin America and the Nordics next year.

I guess things can change a lot in a couple of years. I understand the reasons why they are still beefing, but getting on Roku/Amazon Fire Stick would be a plus for them in the future as well.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
57m is a good numbers for HBO Max and they have actually international presence unlike Peacock lol. Just wait for their Mandalorian moment, is there anything noteworthy next year? Don't say Snydercut lol.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Cutting the cord and Game of Thrones ending would be my guess for the drop. They are actually doing the opposite of pulling out of markets and are doubling down and buying out a lot of local partners in order to get HBO MAX to launch in markets like Latin America and the Nordics next year.
It's kinda crazy to me that HBO didn't have a prequel or spinoff GOT series ready for right after the main series ending.
It wouldn't appeal to me personally since I'm pretty done with the GOT universe, but it seems like that would have been a big deal for a large part of their audience.

I know they have new stuff all the time, but so far nothing with as much oomph as that series had for them.

I'm doing the HBO Max trial right now and loved Raised by Wolves, but other than that there's not a ton that I'll keep the subscription for. Maybe catch up on some old HBO shows for a month or so, but after that I'll probably cancel it until some original stuff that appeals to me comes along.

Would be nice if they'd hurry up and get on Roku devices already.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
It's kinda crazy to me that HBO didn't have a prequel or spinoff GOT series ready for right after the main series ending.
It wouldn't appeal to me personally since I'm pretty done with the GOT universe, but it seems like that would have been a big deal for a large part of their audience.

I know they have new stuff all the time, but so far nothing with as much oomph as that series had for them.

I'm doing the HBO Max trial right now and loved Raised by Wolves, but other than that there's not a ton that I'll keep the subscription for. Maybe catch up on some old HBO shows for a month or so, but after that I'll probably cancel it until some original stuff that appeals to me comes along.

Would be nice if they'd hurry up and get on Roku devices already.

After Knight King turn out to be jobber in GOT season 8. HBO cancelled Naomi Watt's GOT white walkers prequel lol.

Jul 4, 2018
57m is a good numbers for HBO Max and they have actually international presence unlike Peacock lol. Just wait for their Mandalorian moment, is there anything noteworthy next year? Don't say Snydercut lol.
The 57m is for HBO and HBO MAX combined, HBO MAX doesn't roll out in international markets until some time next year. Here is the slide from their earnings explaining it, I've (poorly) highlighted the important part
84-C3-CF51-1-CD3-43-AC-9-CA6-237-DC8-D1138-C.jpg

Source:https://investors.att.com/~/media/F...ngs/2020/q3-2020/ATT_3Q2020_Earnings_Deck.pdf

Edit: as for Mando moment, of their MAX originals, most likely one of the DC shows (maybe Green Lantern) if they can get the right creative personal. It's a known IP and now that DC Universe will be closed could help bring people in.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
57m is a good numbers for HBO Max and they have actually international presence unlike Peacock lol. Just wait for their Mandalorian moment, is there anything noteworthy next year?

Edit: as for Mando moment, of their MAX originals, most likely one of the DC shows (maybe Green Lantern) if they can get the right creative personal. It's a known IP and now that DC Universe will be closed could help bring people in.

HBO Max will definitely have their "Mando moment", it isn't a case of if but when. HBO Max has the best slate of any streamer at the moment, no other platform has the regular hit making power of HBO. Even if their shows don't pull in Superbowl numbers (who does?) they are part of the zeitgeist which is a more important metric now more than ever and that's before you get onto Emmy wins etc.

Over the last 18 months or so HBO has had Chernobyl, Euphoria, Watchmen, Succession, Westworld and Lovecraft Country, once their 'Max division' spins up they'll really join the fray of the streaming wars. With tons of IP, talent to execute and the deep pockets of AT&T they have everything they need to make the platform work.

It won't happen over night but in the next 3 to 5 years I think we'll see HBO Max really compete with Netflix and Amazon as one of the biggest general audience
streaming platforms on the market.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Lol, Disney+ will only have "some" Simpsons episodes at launch in Brazil and no other Fox content (Fox has its own premium streaming service here already).

They are completely fucking up this launch (Nov 17). They even removed every single Disney content from every streaming service (including cable on demand) earlier this month, meaning 47 days without Disney in Brazil.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
HBO Max will definitely have their "Mando moment", it isn't a case of if but when. HBO Max has the best slate of any streamer at the moment, no other platform has the regular hit making power of HBO. Even if their shows don't pull in Superbowl numbers (who does?) they are part of the zeitgeist which is a more important metric now more than ever and that's before you get onto Emmy wins etc.

Over the last 18 months or so HBO has had Chernobyl, Euphoria, Watchmen, Succession, Westworld and Lovecraft Country, once their 'Max division' spins up they'll really join the fray of the streaming wars. With tons of IP, talent to execute and the deep pockets of AT&T they have everything they need to make the platform work.

It won't happen over night but in the next 3 to 5 years I think we'll see HBO Max really compete with Netflix and Amazon as one of the biggest general audience
streaming platforms on the market.

HBO has no shortage of critical darlings. I'm talking about cultural phenomenon like Friends, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones. Yes they've all from WBtv. I'm confidant they will produce some mega hits again but maybe not any time soon though. GOT prequel already lost all goodwill before it even start. DC superheroes tv series may just be too late plus The Boys kind of harshing all the buzz right now.

I wonder what it may be? Like seeing the Mandalorian trailer, and people know it will be a huge hit for Disney+.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
HBO has no shortage of critical darlings. I'm talking about cultural phenomenon like Friends, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones. Yes they've all from WBtv. I'm confidant they will produce some mega hits again but maybe not any time soon though. GOT prequel already lost all goodwill before it even start. DC superheroes tv series may just be too late plus The Boys kind of harshing all the buzz right now.

I wonder what it may be? Like seeing the Mandalorian trailer, and people know it will be a huge hit for Disney+.

There was a time where I think they could have generated similar buzz from a Harry Potter/Wizarding World TV show but...

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

The first ratings and viewership numbers for last night's second Presidential debate are out on the major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC).

Full and final ratings for last night's Presidential debate (cable, streaming, etc.) will be out later today, but here is a taste of how it did on the major networks:

ABC won the night with an average of 9.46 million viewers.
NBC came in second with an average of 8.71 million viewers.
CBS came in third with an average of 4.79 million viewers.

Fox aired an NFL Thursday Night Football game that attracted an average of 7.01 million viewers.

I'm surprised football didn't dominate the night to be honest.

So the grand total from all three major networks that aired the debate was 22.96 million viewers, which is down by 11.14 million viewers from the first debate. I'm sure adjustments will be made, plus we'll see how the debate did on cable and streaming later today:

Fast-Demo-2020-Oct-22-THU.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-network-scorecard-10-22-2020.html

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
deadline.com

David Fincher Confirms ‘Mindhunter’ Is Done At Netflix For Now

Don’t be looking for a third season of Mindhunter anytime soon. There has been speculation about a possible renewal for Netflix’s crime thriller drama since January when options on the …

That's fine...S2 was good (although the Torv storyline was just to keep her in the show, honestly), but it was a HUGE step down from S1. And, yes, I'm well aware mine is not a popular opinion.

Jul 4, 2018
Netflix turning over their entire second level management team in six months is pretty wild.

deadline.com

Nina Wolarsky Steps Down As Netflix VP Original Series – Drama

Nina Wolarsky is leaving her post as VP, Original Series – Drama at Netflix. She will stay on to help with the transition; her last day will be in November. Wolarsky was one of the first seni…
A lot of people failing the keeper test /s

It's almost like Netflix operates like any other media company, where when a head departs many of their underlings decide to leave around the same time.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Netflix turning over their entire second level management team in six months is pretty wild.

deadline.com

Nina Wolarsky Steps Down As Netflix VP Original Series – Drama

Nina Wolarsky is leaving her post as VP, Original Series – Drama at Netflix. She will stay on to help with the transition; her last day will be in November. Wolarsky was one of the first seni…

I'm impressed with Netflix. All these high ranking VP are women.
Netflix is also a tech company. The algorithm is in charge at Netflix. They probably saw what working and change direction at frightening pace.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed with Netflix. All these high ranking VP are women.
Netflix is also a tech company. The algorithm is in charge at Netflix. They probably saw what working and change direction at frightening pace.
There's a lot of female executives, including at very high positions, across the entire industry. The thinking that it is just a man's game is a big outdated. It's more that the heads of 4 of the 5 major companies that run the studios are still men (Shari Redstone being the exception at Viacom). But in all of those cases there are a ton of powerful women under them. Plus all the women in very high positions of power at Studios and Production Companies outside of those traditional "Majors", like Netflix and others.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
There's a lot of female executives, including at very high positions, across the entire industry. The thinking that it is just a man's game is a big outdated. It's more that the heads of 4 of the 5 major companies that run the studios are still men (Shari Redstone being the exception at Viacom). But in all of those cases there are a ton of powerful women under them. Plus all the women in very high positions of power at Studios and Production Companies outside of those traditional "Majors", like Netflix and others.

Well I learn something today. I only began to notice when they was outed at Netflix lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
RatskyWatsky OB is even better than I remember and Tatiana is ridonculous. S1 down, had totally forgotten about those religious hitmen at the start of S2 (that actor always plays the sleeziest roles too).

Jul 4, 2018
Was looking to see how Over the Moon was doing on Netflix audience wise (it's doing pretty meh outside US) and found this interesting website that tracks daily, monthly, yearly etc. for Netflix (and some other streamers) for certain markets and worldwide.

Might be a pretty helpful resource for streamer cancellations.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix

For instance they have the top 10 worldwide TV shows on Netflix for this year as:

1. Lucifer - 25,122 points
2. The Umbrella Academy - 22,270 points
3. Dark Desire - 20,874 points
4. Money Heist - 20,378 points
5. Ratched - 15,639 points
6. Emily in Paris - 15,448 points
7. Dark - 14,961 points
8. The Last Dance - 14,316 points
9. Snowpiercer - 13,859 points
10. Cursed - 12,790 points

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Was looking to see how Over the Moon was doing on Netflix audience wise (it's doing pretty meh outside US) and found this interesting website that tracks daily, monthly, yearly etc. for Netflix (and some other streamers) for certain markets and worldwide.

Might be a pretty helpful resource for streamer cancellations.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix

For instance they have the top 10 worldwide TV shows on Netflix for this year as:

1. Lucifer - 25,122 points
2. The Umbrella Academy - 22,270 points
3. Dark Desire - 20,874 points
4. Money Heist - 20,378 points
5. Ratched - 15,639 points
6. Emily in Paris - 15,448 points
7. Dark - 14,961 points
8. The Last Dance - 14,316 points
9. Snowpiercer - 13,859 points
10. Cursed - 12,790 points
Ooh! That's awesome! Great find!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of October 25:

1.) The Queen's Gambit (Limited Series) (NEW)
2.) Unsolved Mysteries (Volumes 1-2)
3.) Barbarians (Season 1) (NEW)
4.) The Haunting of Bly Manor (Season 1)
5.) Grand Army (Season 1) (NEW)
6.) The Great British Baking Show (Collections 1-8)
7.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
8.) Emily in Paris (Season 1)
9.) Schitt's Creek (Seasons 1-6)
10.) Evil (Season 1)

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I like The Queen's Gambit, little boring at the time but it's short and have a actually ending. Anya Taylor Joy is excellent. Her next 3 movies are from Edgar Wright, Robert Eggers, George Miller .... she will be a big star.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

7.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
10.) Evil (Season 1)
Great British Baking Show is so good, I'm amazed Netflix or another streaming service hasn't made their own direct knockoff or "inspired by" show like it.

I know there's plenty of other cooking shows, but none that are quite as charming or good spirited as this (or that aren't crammed to bursting with fake overly dramatic reality TV show drama).

Doesn't even need to be baking, could be the Great Italian Pasta Show, or Great American Grilling Show.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh, I have access to The Americans again, on Prime this time. Maybe this time I'll finally watch it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

7.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
10.) Evil (Season 1)
I don't know if it's bad that I have no idea what most of these shows are, including the new ones. lol

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Started watching Apple TV's Tehran, 2 episodes in.

Holy shit, this show is awesome, why is there not more buzz going on about this show?

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Started watching Apple TV's Tehran, 2 episodes in.

Holy shit, this show is awesome, why is there not more buzz going on about this show?

You'd think with all the free subs that come with Apple devices their programming would be much more prominent. I mean, it's almost like nothing much anywhere gets much traction these days. Yeah there are hits, but the majority of shows just seem to...be there.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You'd think with all the free subs that come with Apple devices their programming would be much more prominent. I mean, it's almost like nothing much anywhere gets much traction these days. Yeah there are hits, but the majority of shows just seem to...be there.
Yeah, I mean, I know it's still very restricted to people in the Apple ecosystem, though apps are popping up on more and more platforms. They really need to move on getting an Android app out there, for sure. That's part of it, I assume.

But all in all, Apple TV has been super solid, like even the shows that aren't amazing or groundbreaking are tons of fun and they just keep at it at a solid pace. As said, Tehran is great, seems to have great critic reviews, too. Should really appeal to the Homeland crowd. Also loved Ted Lasso, which did seemed to get some buzz.

Now I don't know if Apple does much advertising outside of their own platform in the US, but I feel like they really should put more emphasis on promoting their content.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah, I mean, I know it's still very restricted to people in the Apple ecosystem, though apps are popping up on more and more platforms. They really need to move on getting an Android app out there, for sure. That's part of it, I assume.

But all in all, Apple TV has been super solid, like even the shows that aren't amazing or groundbreaking are tons of fun and they just keep at it at a solid pace. As said, Tehran is great, seems to have great critic reviews, too. Should really appeal to the Homeland crowd. Also loved Ted Lasso, which did seemed to get some buzz.

Now I don't know if Apple does much advertising outside of their own platform in the US, but I feel like they really should put more emphasis on promoting their content.

The whole Apple TV offering was very unappealing to me. Nothing seemed really worth watching (except Beastie Boys Story, which was the first and only thing I watched when I got my free trial).

But then I watched For All Mankind and was completely blown away. It might be one of my favorite shows of the year. So it kind of modified my perspective about the service. I might give Tehran a watch if you all say that it's good.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't own any Apple devices and they never dropped an app for the PS4, which is how I watch most of my streaming services. Hasn't been enough content to really grab me and have consider picking up a Firestick or Roku device.

Ted Lasso has seemed to be the show that has gotten the most buzz for them recently besides The Morning Show.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't own any Apple devices and they never dropped an app for the PS4, which is how I watch most of my streaming services. Hasn't been enough content to really grab me and have consider picking up a Firestick or Roku device.

Ted Lasso has seemed to be the show that has gotten the most buzz for them recently besides The Morning Show.
www.cnet.com

Apple TV app coming to PS4 and PS5

The streaming competitor to Netflix and Disney Plus is landing on Sony's consoles.