• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I basically bingewatched the first 8 during the quarantine, but I want to pick it up again.

Season 6 is the only stinker of the first 8 imo.
Thats a pretty solid ratio of good seasons. I might pick it up from the start. The season I watched was All Stars so it would be nice to see their earlier appearances

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-28-MON.png

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Sam Esmail Makes 2 Big Drama Sales To ABC – ‘Acts Of Crime’ With Production Commitment & CDC Project As Put Pilot

Mr. Robot and Homecoming executive producer Sam Esmail has sold two dramas to ABC.

This marks Esmail's first foray into broadcast TV. Under his UCP deal, he had a couple of ideas, Acts of Crime and CDC drama, that were best suited for broadcast. UCP took the projects out to all the major broadcast, and ABC won the bidding war, I hear.

Written and directed by Esmail, Acts of Crimewould mark the first series created by him since his award-winning Mr. Robot. The drama is described as a unique spin on the crime procedural.

Both projects are executive produced by Esmail and Chad Hamilton for Esmail Corp, under the company's deal at UCP, which is the studio for both.

A search is underway for a writer to pen the Untitled CDC Project.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
My DVR says S7E1 of black-ish is on October 4 with an election special. I guess its not really the start of the season but just an episode that they didn't know where to fit?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
It's an animated special (likely due to COVID) that they wanted to put out before the election.
Oh, cool. Thanks. Given the start of the season I guess they didn't really have a lot of options of when to do it before the election. Pretty interesting that it will be fully animated. I'm looking forward to it

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, cool. Thanks. Given the start of the season I guess they didn't really have a lot of options of when to do it before the election. Pretty interesting that it will be fully animated. I'm looking forward to it
It's weird to put it out and then have a pandemic based episode that is live action.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

TV in October 2020 - What are you watching?

this month is P A C K E D we got spooktacular programming for Halloween, prestige dramas, and the return of the internet's/world's favorite person - BABY YODA!!! ~ Recent Highlights ~ I May Destroy You - BBC/HBO P-Valley - Starz Teenage Bounty Hunters - Netflix ~ October Thursday, 1...

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Thats a pretty solid ratio of good seasons. I might pick it up from the start. The season I watched was All Stars so it would be nice to see their earlier appearances
Yeah! I think I they pull most of season 17 All Stars from post-season 8, but I did see they brought Lee Anne and Lisa back. Kevin is in it too and he is the only good soul from season 6.

I do believe season 6 was waaaaaay too white in its casting. There is, if I remember correctly, one black chef (he's Haitian), two latinos (one gets the boot in episode 1) and one Indian-American. They clearly got criticism for this, because season 7 was easily the most racial diverse cast up until then. I think I'll get back to watching season 9 onwards next month.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! I think I they pull most of season 17 All Stars from post-season 8, but I did see they brought Lee Anne and Lisa back. Kevin is in it too and he is the only good soul from season 6.

I do believe season 6 was waaaaaay too white in its casting. There is, if I remember correctly, one black chef (he's Haitian), two latinos (one gets the boot in episode 1) and one Indian-American. They clearly got criticism for this, because season 7 was easily the most racial diverse cast up until then. I think I'll get back to watching season 9 onwards next month.
Nice. Sounds pretty good. I think I know some of the people you mentioned from season 6. I'm guessing the Haitian chef I was super excited about in Season 17 might be the one you were referring to. Was season 6 the first you noticed where there was a distinct lack of diversity among the chefs like that season is a special case? Only problem is when I watch these kinds of shows, I get super hungry. Haha, might have to pace myself on how much I binge watch it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. Full and final ratings for last night's Presidential debate will be out later today, but here is a taste of how it did on the four major networks:

ABC won the night with an average of 10.91 million viewers.
NBC came in second with an average of 7.95 million viewers.
CBS came in third with an average of 5.28 million viewers.
Fox came in fourth with an average of 4.47 million viewers.

So the grand total from all four major networks was 28.61 million viewers. This is way, way down from the first Presidential debate in 2016 where the total from the four major networks then was 49.332 million viewers. Keep in mind, though, that between 2016 and now, a lot more people cut cable and watch streaming, so we'll very likely see high streaming numbers when those come in.

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-29-TUE.png

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Nice. Sounds pretty good. I think I know some of the people you mentioned from season 6. I'm guessing the Haitian chef I was super excited about in Season 17 might be the one you were referring to. Was season 6 the first you noticed where there was a distinct lack of diversity among the chefs like that season is a special case? Only problem is when I watch these kinds of shows, I get super hungry. Haha, might have to pace myself on how much I binge watch it.
I think it was the first time I noticed, but looking back other seasons weren't exactly great at it. I think it just became really obvious because 5-6 white chefs really took center stage. Also, Ron being African-Caribbean and not African-American made that even more noticeable.

Then it becomes even MORE noticeable when season 7 does a great job at having a diverse cast (IIRC at least half the cast are PoC?).

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool. Season 17 was the first one that I watched and I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to seeing this
I basically bingewatched the first 8 during the quarantine, but I want to pick it up again.

Season 6 is the only stinker of the first 8 imo.

I used to be a massive Top Chef fan so I wanted to recommend MasterChef Australia to you both since I've become obsessed with the show since 2016 and haven't been able to go back to TC or American MC. The focus is squarely on cooking and there are over 60 episodes each week. The show is a cultural institution in Australia. There's almost no reality TV show drama, just incredible, top-level cooking that is aesthetically beyond the cooking on TC/MC. But it's not dull at all, the competitors are extremely compelling people and most are easy to root for. I recommend trying out season 8 from 2016, I think that's a good one to start with. Season 1 had a different format and wasn't great, but S2 forward is mostly excellent and the two Junior seasons are great also. The format is easy to get hooked on, 6 eps per week with mystery box, invention test, pressure test, immunity, team and elimination challenges. I'm currently watching the latest season which has new judges and it's been just as good as ever, and changing things up in interesting ways. It's an all stars season though so I wouldn't really recommend you start with it since some of the appeal of the show is in seeing home cooks develop insane skill sets.

I basically had no interest in or knowledge of Australia before we started watching the show, and we have been so blown away by it that we saved up and took a trip to Australia last year, mainly inspired by places they visit on MasterChef AU. The time we spent on Tasmania in particular was one of the most amazing weeks of my life, as a nature and food lover. And getting to meet a couple of the chefs featured on the show, and try their foods, was just amazing. We basically planned the whole trip around nature, animal conservatories and restaurants. RatskyWatsky has seen pics and will attest I never stop talking about it, lol.

Anyway. Check out MC AU people. It's so good.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. Full and final ratings for last night's Presidential debate will be out later today, but here is a taste of how it did on the four major networks:

ABC won the night with an average of 10.91 million viewers.
NBC came in second with an average of 7.95 million viewers.
CBS came in third with an average of 5.28 million viewers.
Fox came in fourth with an average of 4.47 million viewers.

So the grand total from all four major networks was 28.61 million viewers. This is way, way down from the first Presidential debate in 2016 where the total from the four major networks then was 49.332 million viewers. Keep in mind, though, that between 2016 and now, a lot more people cut cable and watch streaming, so we'll very likely see high streaming numbers when those come in.

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-29-TUE.png
UPDATE with cable ratings:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articl...cable-originals-network-finals-9-29-2020.html

Fox News attracted 17.812 million viewers, even beating ABC.
CNN came in second with 8.287 million viewers.
And MSNBC came in third with 7.189 million viewers.

The total amount of viewers that tuned in to the cable networks combined is 33.288 million viewers, which is almost as much as the Big Four networks combined.

I say almost because the final ratings for the Big Four networks are in, and adjustments for the final ratings went way up. So, here are the final ratings for those:

ABC: 12.620 million viewers
NBC: 9.666 million viewers
CBS: 6.379 million viewers
Fox: 5.436 million viewers

New final total: 34.101 million viewers

And the combined total of viewers from both cable and over-the-air networks is now at:

67.389 million viewers!

Unfortunately, we still do not have streaming ratings/numbers in yet, but I think we'll be getting them either later tonight or tomorrow. The combined total from over-the-air, cable, and streaming in 2016 was over 84 million viewers, and since more people watch TV via streaming now than they did in 2016, my best guess is that last night's Presidential debate will be around that same number, maybe a bit more.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a massive Top Chef fan so I wanted to recommend MasterChef Australia to you both since I've become obsessed with the show since 2016 and haven't been able to go back to TC or American MC. The focus is squarely on cooking and there are over 60 episodes each week. The show is a cultural institution in Australia. There's almost no reality TV show drama, just incredible, top-level cooking that is aesthetically beyond the cooking on TC/MC. But it's not dull at all, the competitors are extremely compelling people and most are easy to root for. I recommend trying out season 8 from 2016, I think that's a good one to start with. Season 1 had a different format and wasn't great, but S2 forward is mostly excellent and the two Junior seasons are great also. The format is easy to get hooked on, 6 eps per week with mystery box, invention test, pressure test, immunity, team and elimination challenges. I'm currently watching the latest season which has new judges and it's been just as good as ever, and changing things up in interesting ways. It's an all stars season though so I wouldn't really recommend you start with it since some of the appeal of the show is in seeing home cooks develop insane skill sets.

I basically had no interest in or knowledge of Australia before we started watching the show, and we have been so blown away by it that we saved up and took a trip to Australia last year, mainly inspired by places they visit on MasterChef AU. The time we spent on Tasmania in particular was one of the most amazing weeks of my life, as a nature and food lover. And getting to meet a couple of the chefs featured on the show, and try their foods, was just amazing. We basically planned the whole trip around nature, animal conservatories and restaurants. RatskyWatsky has seen pics and will attest I never stop talking about it, lol.

Anyway. Check out MC AU people. It's so good.
I've heard mention of it before and heard good things. I'll have to check it out for sure. Do you have a recommended way to watch it? Just wanna know before I start hunting down episodes/seasons

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like Top Chef but Masterchef AU is great if you care more about the food prep and less about the drama/characters.

Although I haven't watched the new season where they got rid of all the hosts... and also I don't know if having an "all star" season works for someone who has never seen any of the previous seasons. lol

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Boys was #3 on the Nielsen streaming top 10 the week it premiered

Nielsen's top 10 streaming programs for Aug. 31-Sept. 6 are below, with the prior week's rank in parentheses.

1 (2). Cobra Kai (Netflix), 2.17 billion minutes viewed
2 (1). Lucifer (Netflix), 1.42 billion
3 (nr). The Boys (Amazon), 891 million
4 (3). The Office (Netflix), 843 million
5 (7). Criminal Minds (Netflix), 675 million
6 (8). Shameless (Netflix), 639 million
7 (nr). Away (Netflix), 631 million
8 (7). Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 616 million
9 (4). The Legend of Korra (Netflix), 541 million
10 (nr). Mulan (Disney+), 525 million

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Boys,’ ‘Mulan’ Break Netflix Stranglehold on Streaming Top 10 (Exclusive)

For the first time, Netflix has some company in Nielsen's rankings of the top streaming programs in the United States.

May 10, 2018
The Boys was #3 on the Nielsen streaming top 10 the week it premiered

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Boys,’ ‘Mulan’ Break Netflix Stranglehold on Streaming Top 10 (Exclusive)

For the first time, Netflix has some company in Nielsen's rankings of the top streaming programs in the United States.
Damn good for The Boys. I figured it would do well but cracking the top 3 is great.

People can be upset but the weekly move was the right call by Amazon.

Edit: Apparently it wasn't Amazon but Kripke and the producers who wanted it weekly. Still good call.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Is Billions actually any good? I feel like I've never seen a single person mention watching it lol

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like Top Chef but Masterchef AU is great if you care more about the food prep and less about the drama/characters.

Although I haven't watched the new season where they got rid of all the hosts... and also I don't know if having an "all star" season works for someone who has never seen any of the previous seasons. lol
Man, you guys are making me want to see MasterChef AU really bad lol

I don't totally hate drama/characters in the cooking shows but it is my least favorite part. Even though All Star was the first season of Top Chef I saw, I still enjoyed it. There were a few things to catch onto about their pasts and interactions and flashbacks but I didn't really feel lost with it.