• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The fact that I'm still discussing season 2 with my sister vs watching season 1 in a weekend and completely forgetting what happened, I have no doubt about what is the best release format.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the opening of the TV Line article.

Same. I - hate - the feeling of having an instant backlog when they drop entire seasons at once.

Take note streamers--release your shows the correct way and reap the rewards.

^^^^

I think that will be a serious talking point in any future streaming show's production. Some shows benefit from each approach.

I think typical "nerd" shows are the likeliest to get the treatment. I would be very surprised if the Lord of the Rings show wasn't weekly, for instance.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Financially, the weekly approach definitely benefits subscription-based services I think. Having a popular show stretched over 8-10 weeks prevents some people to subscribe just for the month the show is dropped to then immediately unsubscribe.

But the same argument could be made that it doesn't really benefit customers because it will end up being more expensive for people. Especially if multiple streaming platforms adopt the same kind of release schedule.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I lost desire to watch many Netflix shows because bing watch.
When someone binged them all said them bad, I rarely bothered to check them out.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling binging a show will go away now that weekly makes it stick around more. Look how quick Things S3 was in the limelight compared to Mando.

Jul 4, 2018
I get the feeling binging a show will go away now that weekly makes it stick around more. Look how quick Things S3 was in the limelight compared to Mando.
I think it probably depends on how big the show is. Bigger shows like Witcher, Mando, LoTR etc should be weekly. Smaller shows that are more niche are probably better as binge to get people to stick around with the service I'm thinking non event documentaries, some comedies, kids animation etc.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I think dumps are the way to go. Watch a few at a time at your own pace.

Weekly episodes only work if the show is actually really good and engaging. They are greatly benefiting right now from quarantine because people are THIRSTY for something to do every week.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I - hate - the feeling of having an instant backlog when they drop entire seasons at once.
I lost desire to watch many Netflix shows because binge watch.
Yes and yes. I will make a point to keep up with anything remotely interesting that releases weekly, but when entire seasons get dropped I often just think, "Eh, I'll watch it sometime" and "sometime" becomes "never" if you look at my Netflix backlog.

Oct 28, 2017

Weekly episodes only work if the show is actually really good and engaging. They are greatly benefiting right now from quarantine because people are THIRSTY for something to do every week.

Agreed. Netflix found success in part because of the binge model. It's not wrong. I think you're right that it's even usually better.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now here's spin-off series I don't think anyone expected:

deadline.com

Steven Soderbergh Says ‘The Knick’ Followup Is In The Works From André Holland & Barry Jenkins

Steven Soderbergh has revealed a sequel to The Knick is in the works centered on André Holland’s Dr. Algernon C. Edwards character. The original series ended after two seasons on Cinemax in 2015, but was not officially canceled until two years later, in 2017. There had long been speculation...

Hopefully this encourages them to put The Knick on HBO Max finally.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be wonderful if Max or Netflix picks it up, especially considering how fond they are of Soderbergh (e.g. Let Them All Talk, Mosaic)

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

deadline.com

Steven Soderbergh Says ‘The Knick’ Followup Is In The Works From André Holland & Barry Jenkins

Steven Soderbergh has revealed a sequel to The Knick is in the works centered on André Holland’s Dr. Algernon C. Edwards character. The original series ended after two seasons on Cinemax in 2015, but was not officially canceled until two years later, in 2017. There had long been speculation...

A big part of the show's original appeal was Soderbergh directing all the episodes. Maybe one of the first times I really paid attention to what a director can bring to a show, but I would be curious to see the new approach with maybe Barry Jenkins directing some.

The Knick was the show that made me a fan of Andre Holland.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I see the problem of a weekly release schedule weeding out some of the unfulfilling shows that can appear successful after being binged and forgotten in a single weekend...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The best thing about weekly releases is that people complain and say "this format sucks, how can you keep me waiting, go back to dropping them all at once because I want it now" and it's like your angry anticipation proves them right. You wouldn't be thinking about the show every week if you binged it all in two days.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big part of the show's original appeal was Soderbergh directing all the episodes. Maybe one of the first times I really paid attention to what a director can bring to a show, but I would be curious to see the new approach with maybe Barry Jenkins directing some.

The Knick was the show that made me a fan of Andre Holland.
I wouldn't rule out Soderbergh retuning to direct at least some of it. Either way, Jenkins is a great director too. And there was definitely more that was great about The Knick apart from just Soderbergh's direction. It's a very unique show and there hasn't been anything else quite like it, or covering the same time period and topic.

Any sort of continuation is something I anticipate, personally. And I also feel that even if the HBO Max executives didn't (or still don't for some reason) think that Cinemax's action fare fits the ""HBO Max brand", that definitely is not, and never was, true of The Knick; which always leaned more toward the vein of your typical HBO prestige drama anyways. It was always out of place on Cinemax, basically.

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about weekly releases is that people complain and say "this format sucks, how can you keep me waiting, go back to dropping them all at once because I want it now" and it's like your angry anticipation proves them right. You wouldn't be thinking about the show every week if you binged it all in two days.
Yup, even massive stuff like Stranger Things isn't discussed at all beyond a week or 2 at the absolute most.
Only reason something like Tiger King held out so long was because it was at the start of lockdowns and it was so niche yet viral so it stayed around as more and more discovered this weird little documentary.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

deadline.com

Nice to have you back!

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't rule out Soderbergh retuning to direct at least some of it. Either way, Jenkins is a great director too. And there was definitely more that was great about The Knick apart from just Soderbergh's direction. It's a very unique show and there hasn't been anything else quite like it, or covering the same time period and topic.

Any sort of continuation is something I anticipate, personally. And I also feel that even if the HBO Max executives didn't (or still don't for some reason) think that Cinemax's action fare fits the ""HBO Max brand", that definitely is not, and never was, true of The Knick; which always leaned more toward the vein of your typical HBO prestige drama anyways. It was always out of place on Cinemax, basically.

Yeah, it had some really great performances. Clive Owen was great as Cocaine Thack (my nickname for him). If the show was on HBO back in the day, it would have gotten more attention, but Cinemax allowed the show to get on the air in the 1st place with HBO's slow pipeline.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to have you back!
Thanks! I copped a three month ban over on gaming side, but I realize it was my own stupidity -- and I was wrong. I'm a bit of an old dog, and it's hard for me to get with the times sometimes, but that's no excuse. Happy to be back to participate in the forum.

Yeah, it had some really great performances. Clive Owen was great as Cocaine Thack (my nickname for him). If the show was on HBO back in the day, it would have gotten more attention, but Cinemax allowed the show to get on the air in the 1st place with HBO's slow pipeline.
The plan was always to continue the show without Clive if they got a season three anyway. So however they market this continuation/spin-off it kind of just fits the original vision.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
started watching Ratched, I will always stan for my waifu Sarah Paulson.

It's certainly slow so far, but I love the look of it.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
deadline.com

‘Lucifer’ Tops Nielsen Streaming Rankings While ‘Cobra Kai’ Punches Up To No. 2 In Netflix Debut

Netflix's Lucifer retained its top spot in Nielsen's streaming rankings from August 24-30. Cobra Kai was No. 2 in first week.

1. Lucifer (75) 2.01B
2. Cobra Kai (20) 1.43B
3. The Office (192) 192.9M
4. The Legend of Korra (52) 808M
5. The Umbrella Academy (20) 758M
6. Grey's Anatomy (361) 703M
7. Criminal Minds (277) 671M
8. Shameless (121) 637M
9. NCIS (353) 527M
10. Cocomelon (3) 336M

Not a full picture of streaming (only TV viewing, no international), but good to see Cobra Kai make a strong debut. Will be interesting to see if The Boys is able to crack the list when they catch up to the calendar and break the dominance by Netflix.

People still watching The Office on Netflix is like GTA V always showing up in the NPD Gaming charts, and I loved that show. But still..

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, pretty funny and I want more. Still the cast are gifted with physical comedy that these read-table missing.

This is true

0s68vHrw-td1H7t52rngJy_lTKWpGeU1kq-JDQp_xITc8NhOyxDfZZvuLFNgjE1g2hQIPFauVuADgU2SbBPP6dsUOAMOXrZ75CutozAtKLgmjsuEjbnyWY788MudyGSjA9h-nhzgD07o

tumblr_mk8hejkwdv1qjdr19o2_r1_250.gif

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
deadline.com

‘Lucifer’ Tops Nielsen Streaming Rankings While ‘Cobra Kai’ Punches Up To No. 2 In Netflix Debut

Netflix's Lucifer retained its top spot in Nielsen's streaming rankings from August 24-30. Cobra Kai was No. 2 in first week.

Not a full picture of streaming (only TV viewing, no international), but good to see Cobra Kai make a strong debut. Will be interesting to see if The Boys is able to crack the list when they catch up to the calendar and break the dominance by Netflix.

People still watching The Office on Netflix is like GTA V always showing up in the NPD Gaming charts, and I loved that show. But still..

Interesting, none of Netflix productions even come close to the longevity of The Office or Grey's Anatomy, NCIS .... Next years will be the time Disney, Universal, CBS, HBO ... pull out all of their stuffs right?

But I dont think Netflix will change their way they just produce buck lot of new shows every years and never commit any farther than 3 seasons with few exceptions.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

deadline.com

SQsFcS8.gif

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The Rashomon is a fun idea, but just terribly hard to make interesting. Some cases have managed to do it better than the original though.
Magnum PI and MASH both managed to make it funny as well.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
The network's beloved Countdown to Christmas programming kicks off on Oct. 23 with 40 all-new, holiday-themed TV movies.
And making good on a promise earlier this year that "diversity and inclusion is a top priority" for the network's programming moving forward, the 2020 lineup of Christmas movies on Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries are its most inclusive yet.
"Our holiday table is bigger and more welcoming than ever. This year's movies reflect our most diverse representation of talent, narratives, and families, including The Christmas House, featuring a storyline about a gay couple looking to adopt their first child, and starring Jonathan Bennett in an ensemble cast," said Michelle Vicary, EVP, Programming.
*40 (yes, forty)* new movies, only one with an LGBT story in it

I mean, it's a better track record than Disney but still, holy fuck