• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Unless they literally said this, I do not understand why people think cancellation of X was to make show Y.
For one, that's how budgets actually work. Otherwise, there were reports bring posted around the time of the cancelation that this was one of the reasons why. Not sure of the validity, but it was being floated in relation to the production.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I really enjoy The Hustler, Craig Ferguson is delightful as the host and it reminds me of The Mole (first two seasons now on Netflix btw) but oof those ratings

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy The Hustler, Craig Ferguson is delightful as the host and it reminds me of The Mole (first two seasons now on Netflix btw) but oof those ratings
Watched it because of The Mole reference and although I thought the clues throughout the show were kind of not helpful, the ending where the contestants were trying to bargain each other was amazing. lol
I almost wonder if this is to high concept for a game show though, considering the other more generic trivia ones that are already out there.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's WORLDWIDE Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of July 4, 2021:

1.) Sex/Life (Season 1) (United States) (=)
2.) Too Hot to Handle (Seasons 1-2) (United States) (↑ 1)
3.) Elite (Seasons 1-4) (Spain) (↓ 1)
4.) Lupin (Parts 1-2) (United States) (=)
5.) Pokémon Journeys: The Series (Parts 1-4) (Japan) (NEW)
6.) The Seven Deadly Sins (Seasons 1-5) (Japan) (NEW)
7.) Sophie: A Murder in West Cork (Limited Series) (United Kingdom) (NEW)
8.) Lucifer (Seasons 1-5) (United States) (↓ 2)
9.) Nuevo Rico Nuevo Pobre (Season 1) (Colombia) (=)
10.) Sweet Tooth (Season 1) (United States) (↓ 5)

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/world/2021-07-04/

And this week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of July 4, 2021:

1.) Manifest (Seasons 1-2) (=) (4th Week)
2.) Sex/Life (Season 1) (=)
3.) Too Hot to Handle (Seasons 1-2) (=)
4.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-3) (=)
5.) The Bureau of Magical Things (Season 1) (NEW)
6.) Sophie: A Murder in West Cork (Limited Series) (NEW)
7.) The Seven Deadly Sins (Seasons 1-5) (NEW)
8.) The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals (Season 1) (↓ 3)
9.) Sweet Tooth (Season 1) (↓ 3)
10.) Somos (Season 1) (NEW)

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/united-states/2021-07-04/

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Not a TV question, but more of a streaming financial one. What is the upside for an Amazon to pay $200 million for a movie like Tomorrow War? To drive new Prime accounts? To retain Prime accounts? I mean, what do a ton of eyeballs do for them? I guess it's all of the above, but that's a ton of money to throw at something without immediate obvious benefit...

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, what's the current title a reference to? Did Netflix or AMC+ cancel something?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Not a TV question, but more of a streaming financial one. What is the upside for an Amazon to pay $200 million for a movie like Tomorrow War? To drive new Prime accounts? To retain Prime accounts? I mean, what do a ton of eyeballs do for them? I guess it's all of the above, but that's a ton of money to throw at something without immediate obvious benefit...

thats basically it, to get to new subs, prevent existing subs from cancelling. Amazon, Netflix, D+, etc have vast amounts of data to track and they know exactly how much a new show or movie brings in new sub wise, how many existing subs watch and for how long, how many different people watch across what timeframes, just on and on and on. Sliced up by region, age, sex, whatever else you want.

Correlate that with knowing who pays for accounts, how many family members use it, what each person tends to view and for how long, and then even deeper stuff like "what was a person watching before they cancelled their account? Or more importantly, not watching? For how long?" and these companies have vast amounts of data now on what brings in new users, what keeps people subbed, and how often you have to drop content.

Tomorrow War is mostly a marketing thing, its a vehicle to get a big tentpole summer movie - think Independence Day, Fast and Furious, Avengers movie - into peoples homes. I know among my friends and family a LOT of people watched it as family movie time, and while just about everyone agrees its a dumb silly movie, its also a movie you can watch with any age group as a family and thats imo fairly valuable in this day and age, where a 7 year old, 14 year old, 30 year old, 50 year old, and 70 year old rarely can agree on a single thing to watch.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The Crew wasn't awful, it was lowbrow but sometimes that's a good thing. I kinda enjoyed it for the background noise it was.

It was the perfect kind of show for that dumb "shuffle" function they're introducing. A sitcom with no stakes, contained storylines for the most part that get resolved within the twenty minutes, and stupid jokes that the laugh track tells you when to laugh at.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not the best title when the actual show is still ongoing and could be cancelled. Maybe an older reference would have worked better.

Kevin Can F Himself isn't a bad show btw. Interested to see more now that setup seems to be done. But also not immediately gripping either. Going to wait for it to hit streaming I think since it'll happen so fast.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, I thought my work was going to be back in the office by now, but they still haven't said anything. I guess that means I can continue posting overnight broadcast ratings.

(Sunday night's ratings were not posted since almost everything was reruns, aside from an Independence Day fireworks special on NBC.)

Here are Monday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, NBC's coverage of Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final averaged 2.6 million total viewers on Monday night, up 30 percent from Friday's Game 3 to mark the Canadians/Lightning series' largest audience thus far.

Over on ABC, The Bachelorette (3.3 mil/0.7) added a few eyeballs while steady in the demo, leading Monday in both measures.

THE CW | All American (640K/0.2) was steady with the planted pilot for the already-greenlit Homecoming spinoff. The Republic of Sarah (320K/0.1) was also steady.

FOX | Hell's Kitchen (2.3 mil/0.5) dipped in the demo.

B3Hgt0A.png

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
they wanted to make the dumbest blockbuster ever and pretty much succeeded.

(it's a fun watch that said)

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Interesting.

www.macrumors.com

Apple Considering Purchasing Reese Witherspoon's 'Hello Sunshine' Media Company

Reese Witherspoon-owned media company Hello Sunshine is considering a sale, and Apple is one of the interested parties, reports The Wall Street...
Apple already works with Hello Sunshine on popular Apple TV+ series "The Morning Show," which stars Witherspoon. Hello Sunshine is also involved in several upcoming Apple TV+ shows like "Surface" starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, "The Last Thing He Told Me" with Julia Roberts, and country music reality series "My Kind of Country."
Hello Sunshine reportedly began pursuing a sale in the last couple of months and has received interest from multiple suitors, one of which is Apple. The company could be valued at as much as $1 billion, due to hits like the aforementioned series "The Morning Show" and also "Big Little Lies" and "Little Fires Everywhere."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fail to see why anyone would spend a billion dollars on a studio that has mostly put out a few limited series (well, Big Little Lies at least seems to have realized it should have been one now) and like one successful TV show, and a handful of movies that didn't seem to really make any waves.. But then again, Apple sure has money to burn so go for it I guess.

Not gonna argue the quality of their output, but just doesn't seem like something that would require so much attention.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘Cruel Summer’ Creator No Longer Involved With Freeform Series

"Cruel Summer" creator Bert V. Royal is no longer affiliated with the series, Variety has confirmed.

lol...why is Freeform renewing this again?
Cruel Summer was renewed for a second season last month after it became Freeform's most-watched series ever.
Guess they want to see if they can milk another season of their biggest series without the creator.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
ok what the fuck is when Nature Calls with Helen Mirren

holy shit it has a 20% audience score on RT lol
www.rottentomatoes.com

When Nature Calls With Helen Mirren: Season 1 | Rotten Tomatoes

Helen Mirren narrates this laugh-out-loud, one-hour unscripted comedy series that looks at the lighter side of the natural world. Much like the overall tone of the series, the role is designed for Helen to lean into her comedic talents while taking the audience on a visually enchanting and...

this is one of the most painful things I've viewed in a while.
I don't know who the audience is supposed to be.

1/2 the narration is Helen Mirren which is not too bad, she delivers a few lines…but then the other 1/2 is dumb jokey-tone voiceover of cute animals clips.
But many of the clips feature or joke about animals having sex … and only paying half attention I heard jokes dropped about onlyfans, vibrators, and moms electric toothbrush among other things.

It's fuckin bizarre, but gorgeous. I guess it's watchable with sound off.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV ratings, ABC's coverage of the NBA Finals opener averaged 6.4 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating, down 13 and 18 percent from the preliminary numbers for last year's Game 1 (which was pandemic-delayed until August) yet still easily topping Tuesday in the demo.

Opening ABC's night, the Jimmy Kimmel special did 4.6 mil/1.2, followed by NBA Countdown's 3.8 mil/1.1.

NBC's America's Got Talent (6.9 mil/0.8) slipped two tenths in the demo yet managed to deliver Tuesday's largest audience. College Bowl (2.7 mil/0.4) was steady.

THE CW | The Flash (770K/0.2) dropped a handful of eyeballs while steady in the demo.

FOX | LEGO Masters (1.6 mil/0.5) and Mental Samurai (1.1 mil/0.3) were steady.

xrPLhYD.png

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Tuesdays are completely empty for me right now. So rare that I have days that there is nothing that I care about watching live.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Tuesdays are completely empty for me right now. So rare that I have days that there is nothing that I care about watching live.

I can't remember the last time I watched anything live. Everything is DVR'd. Well, not counting sports.

Always have something to watch off DVR or streaming. Still trying to catch up/finish off the shows from this recent season.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time I watched anything live. Everything is DVR'd. Well, not counting sports.

Always have something to watch off DVR or streaming. Still trying to catch up/finish off the shows from this recent season.
I don't know what it is but there is still a certain appeal to live watching stuff for me. Especially if I'm watching something with a friend. I only watch stuff off of my DVR when I don't have something to watch live. Also, when I'm working and I need background noise, it almost always has to be something that is live on TV instead of from DVR or streamed. But there are some exceptions to that.

I must be an outlier compared to most people and their TV watching habits these days. With cord cutters and people streaming all their stuff, I feel like live watching has to be a way less popular option.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is way old, but I just finished reading a book about "The Office" and it made me realize how bad NBC executives were back in the early 2010s. Steve Carell wanted to come back and do all seasons of the show and they didn't even call him to make him an offer. The entire Conan/Leno thing. The disastrous attempts at sitcoms after The Office went off the air. Just a total nightmare.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it is but there is still a certain appeal to live watching stuff for me. Especially if I'm watching something with a friend. I only watch stuff off of my DVR when I don't have something to watch live. Also, when I'm working and I need background noise, it almost always has to be something that is live on TV instead of from DVR or streamed. But there are some exceptions to that.

I must be an outlier compared to most people and their TV watching habits these days. With cord cutters and people streaming all their stuff, I feel like live watching has to be a way less popular option.

Oh, I take that back. I should say I don't watch anything live. I actually do have 'live' TV on each night, but wasn't really counting that. Usually after I get a couple of DVR'd shows in, I will just have the TV on the background while doing other things.

Like the other night, had My Cousin Vinny on while perusing internet on my laptop. Cannot have that movie on too much.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I take that back. I should say I don't watch anything live. I actually do have 'live' TV on each night, but wasn't really counting that. Usually after I get a couple of DVR'd shows in, I will just have the TV on the background while doing other things.

Like the other night, had My Cousin Vinny on while perusing internet on my laptop. Cannot have that movie on too much.
Oh okay, I get what you mean.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I know this is way old, but I just finished reading a book about "The Office" and it made me realize how bad NBC executives were back in the early 2010s. Steve Carell wanted to come back and do all seasons of the show and they didn't even call him to make him an offer. The entire Conan/Leno thing. The disastrous attempts at sitcoms after The Office went off the air. Just a total nightmare.

41SbPEiT-rL.jpg

It's good. But also be sure to check out Brian Baumgartner's (Kevin) An Oral History of The Office, which he's also blown out as The Office Deep Dive.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
41SbPEiT-rL.jpg

It's good. But also be sure to check out Brian Baumgartner's (Kevin) An Oral History of The Office, which he's also blown out as The Office Deep Dive.
That's the one I read! It was great.

I've been listening to "Office Ladies" but haven't caught Brian Baumgartner's podcast yet. I'll get to that next.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, I'm confused. Wasn't it Carell's decision to leave in the first place so he could focus on his movie career?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
That was always the assumption but reality is stranger than fiction sometimes. NBC just ignored and dropped him, the lead of their big sitcom, for no discernible reason.
It didn't have anything to do with money? He had become a pretty big star. Perhaps he was asking for more money than they were willing to pay?

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't have anything to do with money? He had become a pretty big star. Perhaps he was asking for more money than they were willing to pay?
It never even reached that stage apparently, his contract was up and NBC never contacted him or his people to renew it, to negotiate, or anything. The deadline came and then went and he was just no longer going to be on The Office.

It is just a bizarre situation.

Oct 25, 2017

This kind of gets into it; Carell made a side-comment about potentially leaving on the radio, that became news, he had his agent contact NBC to signal that he'd be willing to sign on for another season, and NBC just let the offer deadline pass without making one. There's some speculation that it was because the new head of NBC just wasn't into the show that much, but ultimately for whatever reason they just did not approach him about coming back and let his contract run out.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This kind of gets into it; Carell made a side-comment about potentially leaving on the radio, that became news, he had his agent contact NBC to signal that he'd be willing to sign on for another season, and NBC just let the offer deadline pass without making one. There's some speculation that it was because the new head of NBC just wasn't into the show that much, but ultimately for whatever reason they just did not approach him about coming back and let his contract run out.
Wow. That is just bizarre given how we generally see most shows with a big star do whatever they can to keep the big star on the show. It's just hard to imagine passing up on signing Carell for another season especially since the ratings were still pretty solid in the those later seasons.

In the end, it probably didn't matter since the show ended up being a huge boon in the streaming world... I'm not sure how much bigger it could've been had Carell stuck around. The quality would've likely been better but - alas - it is was it is.