• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
All that money Netflix paid D&D for a 6 episode comedy show. It better be Fleabag quality
it wont be

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Marvel Studios' Disney Plus Shows Don't Use Showrunners, and That Has Some TV Writers Worried

For writers outside the company, however, Marvel's decision to diminish the wide creative autonomy showrunners have traditionally wielded in TV — with directors and executives not just calling more shots within the production but also sitting in the writers' room and requesting rewrites — touches a particularly raw nerve.
Another Emmy-winning writer puts it even more bluntly: "I will never work on a Marvel TV show. They do have a showrunner. It's Feige — which is fine! I just wouldn't want to work that way, that's all."
David Goodman, president of Writers Guild of America West, says Marvel's embrace of a "head writer" model is "concerning," but he still sees the company as a "unique case."

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Cross post
Malcolm Spellman was on the latest Fatman Beyond (Kevin Smith/Marc Bernardin show on YT) and talked a bit about how it worked and how it's different from any other show on TV. Marc guessing who made Malcolm start hating going to set as a writer earlier in his career is exactly who I thought (psst, look up). lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely trust Benioff and Weiss and Amanda Peet to be able to offer interesting insight into how university academic departments are organized in the United States, and also the complex intersectional way in which Asian scholars do and don't fit inside the traditional definition of POC with respect to diversity in the humanities.
Too real. lol

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
For writers outside the company, however, Marvel's decision to diminish the wide creative autonomy showrunners have traditionally wielded in TV — with directors and executives not just calling more shots within the production but also sitting in the writers' room and requesting rewrites — touches a particularly raw nerve.

"At some point, it'll bite them in the ass when it comes to recruiting top-shelf writer talent," says a writer of elevated genre TV. "If you're a midlevel writer getting a giant bump to 'run' a Marvel show, of course you're going to do it. But if you're an experienced showrunner with multiple shows under your belt, are you gonna work under those conditions? Probably not."
Why would Marvel want top-shelf writing talent? Why start now?

Marvel will change when/if viewers demand better content. As long as viewers are sated -or even elated - by the likes of Falcon & Winter Soldier's mediocrity, you'll get Feige's committee-driven output.

I'm not convinced anyone but Disney can pull it off yet. They have a special talent for making people ignore quality so long as some fan-service and a drip-feed of continuity are dished out.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marvel will change when/if viewers demand better content. As long as viewers are sated -or even elated - by the likes of Falcon & Winter Soldier's mediocrity, you'll get Feige's committee-driven output.

Basically.
I'm not convinced anyone but Disney can pull it off yet. They have a special talent for making people ignore quality so long as some fan-service and a drip-feed of continuity are dished out.
I'm not so sure about this part. There have been some botched attempts, but in theory other franchises could emulate it, albeit on a smaller scale. Especially when talking about TV series on a streamer all owned by the same studio versus various theatrical films (which come with different expectations).

We've seen via the MCU (and Star Wars) that people are caring more and more about "interconnectedness", "canon", and how an over-arching plot progresses rather than a particular story or character's progression and development. To me that is a worrying shift in viewer behavior. Coupled with the studios' shift towards an even greater focus on IP, I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about original genre storytelling in the near future.

Jul 4, 2019

I approve and like this post.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about this part. There have been some botched attempts, but in theory other franchises could emulate it, albeit on a smaller scale. Especially when talking about TV series on a streamer all owned by the same studio versus various theatrical films (which come with different expectations).

We've seen via the MCU (and Star Wars) that people are caring more and more about "interconnectedness", "canon", and how an over-arching plot progresses rather than a particular story or character's progression and development. To me that is a worrying shift in viewer behavior. Coupled with the studios' shift towards an even greater focus on IP, I'm not feeling terribly optimistic about original genre storytelling in the near future.
Oh, don't get me wrong. They'll be trying! I'm just not convinced they can pull it off, much as so many have failed to do it with features. Part of it's the types of franchises, and part of it's Disney's branding power.

I think the more immediate concern is studios needing everything to be based on IP, even if it's nothing more than an article from a magazine. I see that strangling more writers right now than the threat of more Disney/Feige models.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first season of Trying. Man. Apple just has quality series after quality series. Started a bit spotty to me but came together quickly into a funny and winning show.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Marvel/Disney thing is especially interesting when you look at Agents of Shield. The Snap essentially doesn't occur is AoS continuity, because Feige/Marvel didn't trust the staff/cast enough to let them in on the secret whilst filming. And it is frustrating, because you either have to hand-wave away no-one mentioning it, or accept it's some weird mixture of canon and non-canon. And neither of those things makes it a worse show except when viewed in the wider MCU continuity.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

👀

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

2021-May-12-WED-FastDemo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-wednesday-network-scorecard-5-12-2021.html

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, this is kina worrying.
It's overly dramatic, to be honest. The show runner is clearly Kevin Feige and that makes sense for those properties since they are part of a greater arc of stories. So the conclusion that Marvel shows aren't like traditional shows is correct.

Disney+ itself has plenty of shows that aren't Marvel properties and have normal showrunners, like David E. Kelley's The Big Shot, or The Mighty Ducks Game Changers.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's overly dramatic, to be honest. The show runner is clearly Kevin Feige and that makes sense for those properties since they are part of a greater arc of stories. So the conclusion that Marvel shows aren't like traditional shows is correct.

Disney+ itself has plenty of shows that aren't Marvel properties and have normal showrunners, like David E. Kelley's The Big Shot, or The Mighty Ducks Game Changers.
True but you think this would sway some people away or will the check and exposure be worth it since showrunners and the head writer take all the credit anyways?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, Feige is not a showrunner. Or even a writer. He's an executive who is filling that role, rather than a writer.

I don't see how. TV has expanded so much, so fast that I see zero problem with changing the traditional model on a case by case basis where it makes sense. Are they going to get top-tier writers with this model? Probably not and I'm sure Marvel is 100% fine with that.
The worry is that most people are content without top tier writing. So if top tier writers aren't needed, their work is simply not going to be produced, or produced with much less frequency... No great writer is going to let a studio or executive dictate exactly where they have to take a story. But studios, of course, always want more control over their product. Eventually it whittles down the writer's contribution until they're ultimately just worker bees doing the studio's bidding, rather than creating something they're passionate about.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most network television has been getting away with that since the beginning.
Yes. It is not just confined to the MCU. 90% of what you find on network, or even Netflix, is fairly mediocre and bland. And a lot of it is popular regardless. It's a worrying trend. But executives coming in and taking control/diminishing the role of writers doesn't help the situation.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
True but you think this would sway some people away or will the check and exposure be worth it since showrunners and the head writer take all the credit anyways?

So it likes ... normal, showrunners always take most credit for success.
Right now MCU is very upfront about making tv series like making their movies. Since Feige controls all production so what exactly showrunners fit it here.

I'm a fan of MCU. I love it when they occasionally rise above but honestly in the end they are children entertainment.
So I understand that top tiers TV writer don't want to work with MCU, like Aaron Sorkin or Matthew Weiner (I want to mention because he goes in hiding since no one care about The Romanoffs LOL) ... and Marvel just dont fit. They can attract top talents for movies but right now tv is another realm.

Another thing, MCU is success as it is because smooth productions. Behind the scene of FATWS showed that it had a very rocky production. covid, earthquake, script changed... but they still came out (barely) on time.
They have like new 12 tv series ready for next years. For a studio just got into the game last year, it very terrified effective.

As the article pointed out, they dont need conflict like this happens in the middle of the production.
"The idea of a showrunner being rewritten is unheard of," says an experienced showrunner who has also worked on movies. "Whereas, in features, let's face it, the writer is lucky to survive the experience."

These writers point to the first season of "True Detective" (directed entirely by Cary Fukunaga) and the limited series "Sharp Objects" (directed entirely by Jean-Marc Vallée) as examples of prestige filmmakers taking on a much larger degree of authorship than directors have in the past, and publicly clashing with the series' respective showrunners as a result. "Sharp Objects" executive producer Marti Noxon told Vulture in 2018 that she got into "toe-to-toe screaming matches" with Vallée.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
The reality is that a good portion of the viewing populace is not going to be overly critical of the writing of the show. As others have said, this has been true for years if you just look at network TV.

To say this is some new trend is a bit of an overreaction, I think. I would think there's always going to be a market for upper-tier shows with quality writing and production. We're consistently seeing new shows on Amazon, Apple TV+, and even Hulu (to a lesser degree) where unique voices and writing shine.

But - who knows - maybe I'm wrong. Get back to me in 5-10 years when all the various Marvel/Star Wars shows are winning awards and unique/quality voices are being squashed and then we can talk.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes. It is not just confined to the MCU. 90% of what you find on network, or even Netflix, is fairly mediocre and bland. And a lot of it is popular regardless. It's a worrying trend. But executives coming in and taking control/diminishing the role of writers doesn't help the situation.
Listening to Malcolm Spellman talk about his scepticism and then turning that opinion around makes me not care, especially not for cape shows.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The reality is that a good portion of the viewing populace is not going to be overly critical of the writing of the show. As others have said, this has been true for years if you just look at network TV.

To say this is some new trend is a bit of an overreaction, I think. I would think there's always going to be a market for upper-tier shows with quality writing and production. We're consistently seeing new shows on Amazon, Apple TV+, and even Hulu (to a lesser degree) where unique voices and writing shine.

But - who knows - maybe I'm wrong. Get back to me in 5-10 years when all the various Marvel/Star Wars shows are winning awards and unique/quality voices are being squashed and then we can talk.

The first phase of MCU was very by-the-numbers fill with writers and directors for hired.
I hope in the next few years they will have more experiences in making tv series and let writers take more risks.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
The first phase of MCU was very by-the-numbers fill with writers and directors for hired.
I hope in the next few years they will have more experiences in making tv series and let writers take more risks.

I'd like to think they will but I don't have much hope for that (and I really enjoy the MCU). Too many requirements to keep the "interconnectedness" going and, I would assume, they want to keep this universe palatable for the general public at all times (four-quadrant appeal).

But - again - I could be very wrong.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Malcolm Spellman talk about his scepticism and then turning that opinion around makes me not care, especially not for cape shows.
Malcolm Spellman is not a "top tier writer". He is exactly the kind of writer Marvel looks for: Up and coming/young, still trying to advance their career-types... Which the studio can easily control and not have any debates with.

Don't get me wrong. I agree 100%. This isn't a recent trend. The recent, worrying part, which is kind of a slippery slope, is the studio/an executive replacing the showrunner role wholesale. What you get is literally a vision guided by the company rather than the creatives. (Not to mention it is all built on the backs of other creatives, in the comic book space, who rarely get their due and Marvel has similarly fucked over in the past). Marvel is essentially transferring their comic model to film and television wholesale. The problem is since they are one of the most successful operations in the industry, the rest will look to this and emulate it. Regardless of how successful those emulations are, it still takes creative control away from the creatives, and puts it in the hands of the studio. That is something I'm not excited about.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Malcolm Spellman is not a "top tier writer". He is exactly the kind of writer Marvel looks for: Up and coming/young, still trying to advance their career-types... Which the studio can easily control and not have any debates with.

Don't get me wrong. I agree 100%. This isn't a recent trend. The recent, worrying part, which is kind of a slippery slope, is the studio/an executive replacing the showrunner role wholesale. What you get is literally a vision guided by the company rather than the creatives. (Not to mention it is all built on the backs of other creatives, in the comic book space, who rarely get their due and Marvel has similarly fucked over in the past). Marvel is essentially transferring their comic model to film and television wholesale. The problem is since they are one of the most successful operations in the industry, the rest will look to this and emulate it. Regardless of how successful those emulations are, it still takes creative control away from the creatives, and puts it in the hands of the studio. That is something I'm not excited about.

Thanks for providing more of an explanation. I understand the concern better now.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You've never listened to him speak. lol
Having the same two studio execs hands on with the show from development, through writing, and until it was done while not working on anything else sounds like it worked really well according to Spellman. This is all for a cape show that has a long history of what these characters are like and where they can go so no outside showrunner, no matter who they are, was ever going to have full control anyway. TBF this is all a bunch of pearl clutching over nothing until they start doing it to non-franchise productions.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and like, lest people forget, Spellman and his wife were the ones eagerly teaming with Benioff and Weiss to write Confederate.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty interesting article. I doubt it will ever happen, but would be curious to see a top 10 list for other platforms like Hulu or Amazon. Just to see how well legacy shows perform there or how a list changes when you don't release as many shows as Netflix does every week.

www.vulture.com

The Real Story Behind Netflix’s Top 10 Lists

And what the company is doing to them next.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty interesting article. I doubt it will ever happen, but would be curious to see a top 10 list for other platforms like Hulu or Amazon. Just to see how well legacy shows perform there or how a list changes when you don't release as many shows as Netflix does every week.

www.vulture.com

The Real Story Behind Netflix’s Top 10 Lists

And what the company is doing to them next.
The problem with Netflix isn't personalized offerings. It's that it is exclusively algorithmic. Every single row of content in every point of the app is based on the algorithm. I am sure this is doing good for them based on their sub data. But for me it ultimately kills the service. It is impossible to discover new content. It is nigh impossible to discover new things. Once you are boxed in, that's it, the only way to break out is to delete your profile/account and start over completely, though you will soon find yourself in a new box.

If your tastes are broad and ecclectic, nothing is more fun than going to a "just added" list and getting a chronological list of everything on a service newest first. Netflix makes this impossible. The only way to somehow find something outside of your box is either the top ten list (which is manipulated and heavily skewed due to algorithmic targeting of everyone) or going through the search and searching randomly for actors or directors or even just random words... Although even the search results have algorithmic bs attached to them.

All in all I just wish they would have discovery methods that weren't AI driven. Either full on dumb lists by genre, or playlists made by actual humans. Because boxes get claustrophobic after a bit.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The problem with Netflix isn't personalized offerings. It's that it is exclusively algorithmic. Every single row of content in every point of the app is based on the algorithm. I am sure this is doing good for them based on their sub data. But for me it ultimately kills the service. It is impossible to discover new content. It is nigh impossible to discover new things. Once you are boxed in, that's it, the only way to break out is to delete your profile/account and start over completely, though you will soon find yourself in a new box.

If your tastes are broad and ecclectic, nothing is more fun than going to a "just added" list and getting a chronological list of everything on a service newest first. Netflix makes this impossible. The only way to somehow find something outside of your box is either the top ten list (which is manipulated and heavily skewed due to algorithmic targeting of everyone) or going through the search and searching randomly for actors or directors or even just random words... Although even the search results have algorithmic bs attached to them.

All in all I just wish they would have discovery methods that weren't AI driven. Either full on dumb lists by genre, or playlists made by actual humans. Because boxes get claustrophobic after a bit.

I completely agree with you.

And it drives me crazy that the first few movies/shows in nearly every row are things I've already seen. Why are they doing that??