• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any metrics exist under which The Duchess was anything but a flop. The reviews were awful, I've seen very few people talk about it, and until it was cancelled I don't think I've seen anyone say a positive word about it.
TBH I haven't seen it and I assume they gave her a show based on the strength of her specials. Surprised it was a critical flop though.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Lucifer getting renewed to basically give the writers a chance to end it properly (after dicking around for a season) is a bit of a miracle, and then they got two extra seasons. What a weird one. lol
And they thought they were ending it in season 5 and didn't find out until writing the last episode, so S6 might end up more like a long epilogue lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
And they thought they were ending it in season 5 and didn't find out until writing the last episode, so S6 might end up more like a long epilogue lol
Yeah, I'm curious if they tried to redo the S5 finale to have something for S6 or just maybe they went full wacky with it and S6 is set in heaven or something. lol

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Duchess's Last Kingdom falls?

variety.com

‘The Last Kingdom’ to End With Season 5 on Netflix

"The Last Kingdom" will end with its upcoming Season 5 on Netflix.

Dammit, they only needed one (bit longer) season to cover the final three books. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why stop short when you're practically at the finish line - this is The Borgias all over again 😫

Also, season 5 will be the third season that Netflix has produced all by themselves, so the 3 season curse strikes again!

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Taika Waititi To Star In HBO Max Period Comedy Series ‘Our Flag Means Death’

Oscar winner Taika Waititi is taking on yet another role in the HBO Max period comedy Our Flag Means Death.
In addition to serving as executive producer and pilot director, Waititi will star opposite Rhys Darby in the series from writer David Jenkins (People of Earth), Garrett Basch (What We Do in the Shadows) and Dan Halsted.

Created by Jenkins, who also serves as showrunner, Our Flag Means Death is based loosely on the true adventures of Stede Bonnet (Darby), a pampered aristocrat who abandoned his life of privilege to become a pirate.

Waititi will play Blackbeard, history's most feared and revered pirate.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, they only needed one (bit longer) season to cover the final three books. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why stop short when you're practically at the finish line - this is The Borgias all over again 😫

Also, season 5 will be the third season that Netflix has produced all by themselves, so the 3 season curse strikes again!

Don't most TV shows have mandatory raises for the entire cast and crew when going beyond 5 seasons? I suspect that's what is playing a role here. Budget was probably going to get too high with S6.

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Kids Say The Darndest Things’ Moves Back To CBS After ABC Cancellation

Tiffany Haddish is going to get another crack to hear Kids Say The Darndest Things after CBS picked up the non-scripted show. This comes after the classic variety show, which is produced by CBS Studios and Anvil 1893 Entertainment, was canceled by ABC after one season. It marks a return to its...

Didn't even realized this was switching over until Price is Right at Night said it the other night. (premieres may)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Young Rock has been solid. Not the funniest comedy and it really does work as promo for a potential Rock Presidential run, but I do like the actors in his family.
It's gotten better with time I feel, the last two or three episodes especially I have really enjoyed. Though I hope Season 2 adds a timeline from his Rocky Mavia/Nation of Domination days in WWF.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotten better with time I feel, the last two or three episodes especially I have really enjoyed. Though I hope Season 2 adds a timeline from his Rocky Mavia/Nation of Domination days in WWF.
Yeah, we're a couple of episodes behind I think, but I was just commenting yesterday that there's so much emphasis on football even though that's not ultimately what he was known for.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donald Glover announces Atlanta S3 is probably coming early 2022:

well, he deleted it but he did a 3 question Q&A and that was one of his answers.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

2021-Apr-30-FRI-FastDemo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-friday-network-scorecard-4-30-2021.html

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of May 2, 2021:

1.) Shadow and Bone (Season 1)
2.) The Circle: A Social Media Competition (Seasons 1-2)
3.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
4.) Yasuke (Season 1) (NEW)
5.) The Innocent (Limited Series) (NEW)
6.) The Baker and the Beauty (Season 1)
7.) Life in Color with David Attenborough (Season 1)
8.) Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn (Season 1-4)
9.) Vincenzo (Season 1) (NEW)
10.) Ginny and Georgia (Season 1)

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Vincenzo sounds wild. Another Netflix series I've never heard of. May watch an ep or two tonight.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

wonder if Jupiter's legacy passes shadow and bone next week

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Saw a Twitter thread about a 'new show from the creators of Dark'. I *thought* that was Tribes of Europa, but I've never heard a peep about that show. Was it a big fat 'Meh'?

Jul 4, 2019

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Saw a Twitter thread about a 'new show from the creators of Dark'. I *thought* that was Tribes of Europa, but I've never heard a peep about that show. Was it a big fat 'Meh'?

I had some interest in it before release, but all the reviews I saw had it being average at best and a setup for a potential 2nd season so I never bothered checking it out. I think the Dark creators were just producers on that show.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I might check out more of the show, if it makes the move.

deadline.com

‘Pennyworth’ DC Series Eyes Move From Epix To HBO Max

EXCLUSIVE: After two seasons on Epix, DC origin series series Pennyworth is plotting a move to HBO Max for a potential third season. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All I hear negotiations between Epix and Pennyworth producer Warner Bros. TV are...

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Not much of a surprise, given how well Kung Fu has done in its first few weeks.

deadline.com

‘Kung Fu’ & ‘Stargirl’ Renewed At The CW

The CW is continuing to kick-ass with renewals. The youth-skewing broadcaster has picked up freshman series Kung Fu for a second season and handed a third season of DC’s Stargirl ahead of its sophomore debut. This comes as the network continues to look for stability in its scripted lineup –...

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Not much of a surprise, given how well Kung Fu has done in its first few weeks.

deadline.com

‘Kung Fu’ & ‘Stargirl’ Renewed At The CW

The CW is continuing to kick-ass with renewals. The youth-skewing broadcaster has picked up freshman series Kung Fu for a second season and handed a third season of DC’s Stargirl ahead of its sophomore debut. This comes as the network continues to look for stability in its scripted lineup –...

I thought Kung-Fu had already been renewed?

Either way, glad to hear it, especially for Stargirl as I really enjoyed the first season.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Law & Order: For The Defense’ Spinoff From Dick Wolf & Carol Mendelsohn Gets NBC Series Order

NBC has given a straight-to-series order to Law & Order: For the Defense, a new legal drama about a criminal defense firm.

NBC has given a straight-to-series order to Law & Order: For the Defense, a new legal drama from Law & Order creator Wolf, which will take a look inside a criminal defense firm. The series will put the lawyers under the microscope, along with the criminal justice system, with every week delivering the promise of a contemporary morality tale.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dick Wolf is continuing to grow his television empire.

The creator of the Law & Order and Chicago franchises is moving into half-hour drama with his latest series set at Amazon's IMDb TV.

Deadline understands that the free streaming service has ordered On Call. The show follows a pair of police officers on patrol in Long Beach, CA.

Each episode will track the duo as they respond to a new radio call, arriving on the scene to resolve an incident.

deadline.com

Dick Wolf Half-Hour Drama ‘On Call’ Ordered At IMDb TV

EXCLUSIVE: Dick Wolf is continuing to grow his television empire. The creator of the Law & Order and Chicago franchises is moving into half-hour drama with his latest series set at Amazon’s IMDb TV. Deadline understands that the free streaming service has ordered On Call. The show follows a pair...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
TBH I haven't seen it and I assume they gave her a show based on the strength of her specials. Surprised it was a critical flop though.
The Duchess was a weird one for me. My partner liked it, I've liked one or two of the main character's specials, and I like plenty of "funny asshole main character" shows (It's Always Sunny, House MD, Catastrophe, etc.), but The Duchess just didn't work for me much at all. The main character just bugged me, like very few of the people she was a dick to seemed to actually deserve it, what I remember most about it is just feeling bad for everyone she interacted with except for her Ex who was a fun foil for her.

I think it leaned to far into Drama rather than Comedy to really work with a character as over the top as she is. Those things can blend together well in other shows, but this one just kinda failed at both for me.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The Duchess was a weird one for me. My partner liked it, I've liked one or two of the main character's specials, and I like plenty of "funny asshole main character" shows (It's Always Sunny, House MD, Catastrophe, etc.), but The Duchess just didn't work for me much at all. The main character just bugged me, like very few of the people she was a dick to seemed to actually deserve it, what I remember most about it is just feeling bad for everyone she interacted with except for her Ex who was a fun foil for her.

I think it leaned to far into Drama rather than Comedy to really work with a character as over the top as she is. Those things can blend together well in other shows, but this one just kinda failed at both for me.
Sometimes a person's routine doesn't really translate into a show, and it could be that her acerbic comedy doesn't quite lend itself to dramatization.
Honestly though if she made a show about shitty on Sarnia, I probably would have watched that. lol
I'm still a little curious to watch it though...