• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
action, style, characterization, nuance, humor...the list goes on!

jsRzKmM.gif

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
While we're talking Cinemax shows.... I miss the Stonebridge and Scott version of Strike Back. They revived it for a few more seasons with a new cast and it just wasn't the same. And for some reason none of it is on HBO Max yet either.

Same here. I only watched like 1 episode of the new version. Hopefully it eventually comes over. I wonder if it is a branding issue and the fact that Strike Back didn't get quite the same critical accolades that The Knick, Banshee or Warrior got. It was the first show that really kicked off the fun/genre/popcorn/action Friday nights that Cinemax used to have.

hypodrmage

Oct 25, 2017
Middleslime, USA

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
TIL that wrestling drama on Starz starring Stephen Amell (👀) is being showrun by Mike O'Malley. Hype increased

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
While we're talking Cinemax shows.... I miss the Stonebridge and Scott version of Strike Back. They revived it for a few more seasons with a new cast and it just wasn't the same. And for some reason none of it is on HBO Max yet either.

While we're talking Cinemax, my peak Cinemax show is Banshee. Probably in my top 5 shows of all time. I miss it so...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
*whew* Just looked at some previous week Clarice ratings. That is NOT getting a second season :x Still can't believe it took them to even get the show on air (Hannibal should've got it). I also don't see how the show could be multiple-seasons, as it only really seems to be working as a supplemental mini-series, really. Anyone else watching it?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
*whew* Just looked at some previous week Clarice ratings. That is NOT getting a second season :x Still can't believe it took them to even get the show on air (Hannibal should've got it). I also don't see how the show could be multiple-seasons, as it only really seems to be working as a supplemental mini-series, really. Anyone else watching it?
I've already called dibs on the OT: You fly back to school, now, little Starling. Fly, fly, fly..

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

Rating is not as important as it was. I think they still could renew it if it does well on streaming.
I mean CBS best sitcom's rating is 0.7 (Young Sheldon, when just 2 years ago it was regularly ~2.0)
Is it much better than 0.5 (BPositive, United States of AL)?

And wow CBS thursday lineup are all from Chuck Lorre's.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Due to people bringing him up I looked up Mike O'Malley and its actually a person I've seen in a show before. Sometimes people mention names in here and I'm completely unaware of them. I actually only know him from Yes, Dear which I was thinking of the other day because I was talking to someone about Man With A Plan

EDIT:
Didn't watch Banshee. The non-existent season is that bad, huh? Automatically makes me think of The Boondocks.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rating is not as important as it was. I think they still could renew it if it does well on streaming.
I mean CBS best sitcom's rating is 0.7 (Young Sheldon, when just 2 years ago it was regularly ~2.0)
Is it much better than 0.5 (BPositive, United States of AL)?

And wow CBS thursday lineup are all from Chuck Lorre's.
You're right, but I have a feeling CBS' audience watches live vs digital more than any of the other networks, so it very well might still be in trouble.
Last season? Repeat after me--there was no final season of Banshee, there was no final season of Banshee.

Whew, all better now.
l wish. But I don't think it ending just at season 3 would have been great either. If any show needs the upcoming Dexter final season do-over treatment, it's this one. But it was never nearly as popular, so that will never ever happen.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same writing staff? No director or creator left and no strike or anything? It just took a nosedive? That is a real pity and so disappointing.
Nope, it had a completely different writers room, as well as different directors. Greg Yaitanes, who directed most of the episodes, left to do Quarry. Jonathan Tropper, though he remained as showrunner, also wrote none of the scripts in season 4 due to developing a few other things, despite writing or co-writing over half of the previous episodes. They also changed shooting locations due to a change in film incentives, so virtually all of the on-set crew was different as well.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Reading a website talking about Kim's Convenience and if season 6 will happen. I should have known better but saw a spoiler for the finale which kind of sucks. I was actually just hoping more than anything that it would have news about the Ins Choi talking to people again. Didn't say anything new at all and I spoiled myself by reading. Damn you, Screen Rant!

Nope, it had a completely different writers room, as well as different directors. Greg Yaitanes, who directed most of the episodes, left to do Quarry. Jonathan Tropper, though he remained as showrunner, also wrote none of the scripts in season 4 due to developing a few other things, despite writing or co-writing over half of the previous episodes. They also changed shooting locations due to a change in film incentives, so virtually all of the on-set crew was different as well.

Ah, gotcha. So a good amount of stuff changed for it. Still sucks that it ended with what seems to be considered a weak season.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Reading a website talking about Kim's Convenience and if season 6 will happen. I should have known better but saw a spoiler for the finale which kind of sucks. I was actually just hoping more than anything that it would have news about the Ins Choi talking to people again. Didn't say anything new at all and I spoiled myself by reading. Damn you, Screen Rant!
Screen Rant sucks. It's nothing but clickbait trash about nothing articles that people already know.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of April 18, 2021:

There's quite a few new shows this week, with "Dad, Stop Embarrassing Me!" debuting very strong at number 1 and season 2 of "The Circle: A Social Media Competition" debuting at number 3. "The Baker and the Beauty" makes it's Netflix debut at number 2 which is surprising since it was cancelled last year on ABC due to low viewership. "Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn" makes it's Netflix debut this week as well, continuing the trend of older Nickelodeon shows showing up on Netflix (although that show is only a few years old so it's not on the same level as "iCarly" and "Big Time Rush").

1.) Dad, Stop Embarrassing Me! (Season 1) (NEW)
2.) The Baker and the Beauty (Season 1) (NEW)
3.) The Circle: A Social Media Competition (Seasons 1-2) (NEW)
4.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
5.) Who Killed Sara? (Season 1)
6.) Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn (Seasons 1-4) (NEW)
7.) The Serpent (Limited Series)
8.) This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist (Limited Series)
9.) Ginny and Georgia (Season 1)
10.) Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (Seasons 1-5)

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
"The Baker and the Beauty" makes it's Netflix debut at number 2 which is surprising since it was cancelled last year on ABC due to low viewership.

I'm noticing more and more situations like this. There's becoming a very clear divide not just in broadcast viewership vs streaming popularity, but broadcast viewership VS odds of renewal.
New Amsterdam's broadcast ratings were good (but not great), but clearly it is really resonating on Netflix culturally (anecdotally, i've heard multiple people talking about binging it recently), and it got renewed for three seasons.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Broadcast isn't what it used to be. A few of these sound interesting though. With upfronts next month, only shows I'm worried about are Debris and Zoey's Playlist.

variety.com

Pilot Season 2021: Effects of COVID Linger as Networks Shift Strategies

Pilot Season 2021 is looking shaky thanks to the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and networks are rethinking their strategies.
Same exact two shows for me. Thanks for posting this, I always enjoy reading these.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Broadcast isn't what it used to be. A few of these sound interesting though. With upfronts next month, only shows I'm worried about are Debris and Zoey's Playlist.

variety.com

Pilot Season 2021: Effects of COVID Linger as Networks Shift Strategies

Pilot Season 2021 is looking shaky thanks to the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and networks are rethinking their strategies.

The CW has arguably the highest-profile project this pilot season — the live-action reboot of "The Powerpuff Girls," now called "Powerpuff." Elsewhere, the network is rebooting the USA Network drama "The 4400," which has already nabbed a series order under the name "4400."

The CW to change its name to just CW.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With CBS choosing Paramount+ as it's streaming name and Warner choosing HBO Max maybe they should rename The CW to PH. It might get some thinking it has a connection to a certain adult site though. 😂

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Could not make it past the the first episode of The Serpent.

Being dutch, the Dutch actors are written and directed like a film from the 80's and I don't mean the time period of the show itself. It's so wooden and badly acted. And then you have the everyone else trying to speak Dutch, which is a quiet a feat on it's own but it's very rough to listen too.