• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings. CBS's lineup is all scrambled due to The Masters going long, but after "60 Minutes," it was all reruns anyway:

2021-Apr-11-SUN-Fast-Demo.png

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-network-scorecard-4-11-2021.html

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People not watching Zoey are bad people. A song made me tear up once again last night.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
HBO's 'The Nevers' Premiere Draws 1.4M+ Viewers Across Linear & Digital, Best-Ever Original Series Debut On HBO Max.

The debut episode surpassed viewership for premieres of recent HBO dramas including Lovecraft Country and The Undoing, and viewership is expected to grow via additional telecasts and viewing across platforms, HBO said.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

This feels at odds with what others said last week...
"Ins was feeling a bit burnt out and at the end of (shooting) season five he basically was saying he was done," said Lee, who also starred in Choi's award-winning 2011 play "Kim's Convenience," which inspired the series.

"I kind of knew that there was always a potential of him stepping away," added Toronto-based Phung, who plays car-rental manager Kimchee.

"Making TV is hard. It takes so much time and so much out of you and I think that for him, he just wanted to spend time with his kids and he was really burnt out."

The Canadian Press asked for interviews with Choi and producer Ivan Fecan. A publicist said attempts to reach Choi were unsuccessful and Fecan declined.

Lee said producers told him in December that Choi wanted to leave the show, and that Fecan wondered if they might continue without Choi.

The cast and CBC agreed to pursue a sixth season, Lee said, but Fecan eventually decided it wasn't possible and called the actor last month to break the news.

"I'm really unhappy about how it ended, but all things being equal, it was a fantastic ride," he said.

Lee said he hasn't spoken with Fecan since that conversation and has tried to reach Choi.

"He ghosted me," Lee said of Choi, with whom he's worked for 10 years. "He wouldn't return my calls or my texts, and finally he responded via email saying he wasn't comfortable talking about it. And that was it."

Phung said the show's demise caught him off-guard and he calls it "a disappointing end."

"It hurts, but as a father of two young kids, I totally get it," Phung said. "I know there's been a bit of backlash against Ins. And I do want to say that he put so much love into the world he made, and so this decision wasn't made lightly for him."
It's hard to know what to make of it all, but it sounds unfortunate all around. There's another [paywalled] article from The Globe and Mail from the end of March that seems to suggest Choi was stressed about being the main source of authenticity and representation for the show.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
To add to my last post:

I mean, it kinda sounds like the primary creator needed a break for his own sanity, so it's hard to be too mad about that specifically...

Seems like the 'villains' here are the brutal workload of creating TV and the broad environment of not fostering other Korean writers who could step up to lead the show.

Edit: I would guess that Liu is angry that the producers did an insufficient job searching for a new showrunner and for not supporting a more diverse writer's room* in the first place. Phung (Kimchee) noted he wishes the actors had pushed more on that front, with whatever power they had. *I believe there are some other writers of color, but no one else from the Korean immigrant community.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Three episodes in and I'm kinda totally digging The Mighty Ducks TV show. Okay, a bit of Lauren Graham bias, perhaps. But it really is decent show with a lot of heart. Kid actors are great, too. It's more earnest than Cobra Kai, and by nature of the premise less campy, but they obviously looked at that show and what worked there and took the right inspiration from it.
Do they quack at each other? lol

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Three episodes in and I'm kinda totally digging The Mighty Ducks TV show. Okay, a bit of Lauren Graham bias, perhaps. But it really is decent show with a lot of heart. Kid actors are great, too. It's more earnest than Cobra Kai, and by nature of the premise less campy, but they obviously looked at that show and what worked there and took the right inspiration from it.

I saw this on Disney+ the other day and intrigued on giving it a shot. I've watched the movies but it's been a real long time. Don't remember much about them so I think I'll probably rewatch them before picking up the new series as it sounds like it starts up afterwards (but of course years later).

I'm guessing all the movies are on Disney+?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The key part of every movie is the teammates quacking at each other!

Or maybe that was just the first one. lol
Ah fair enough, I haven't seen the movies since I was a kid so my memory is hazy.

Lets just say there's no quacking yet, and there's a reason for that.
I saw this on Disney+ the other day and intrigued on giving it a shot. I've watched the movies but it's been a real long time. Don't remember much about them so I think I'll probably rewatch them before picking up the new series as it sounds like it starts up afterwards (but of course years later).

I'm guessing all the movies are on Disney+?
They are where I'm geolocated.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Ah fair enough, I haven't seen the movies since I was a kid so my memory is hazy.

Lets just say there's no quacking yet, and there's a reason for that.

They are where I'm geolocated.

Yeah, just checked and they are on Disney+ where I'm at.

I didn't think the programming really changed on the streaming service depending on area.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, just checked and they are on Disney+ where I'm at.

I didn't think the programming really changed on the streaming service depending on area.
It does depending on your country. For example The Mighty Ducks movies were on Disney+ in Canada for months before they were in the US because a previous streaming contract prevented them in the US. There's also massive differences in Disney-owned content (especially the stuff they got when they bought Fox) that's a part of Hulu in the US while they're a part of D+ in Canada. I don't know if US D+ subscribers can watch Canadian D+ with a VPN but they should try because it's much better here.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It does depending on your country. For example The Mighty Ducks movies were on Disney+ in Canada for months before they were in the US because a previous streaming contract prevented them in the US. There's also massive differences in Disney-owned content (especially the stuff they got when they bought Fox) that's a part of Hulu in the US while they're a part of D+ in Canada. I don't know if US D+ subscribers can watch Canadian D+ with a VPN but they should try because it's much better here.

What does Canada currently have on D+ that the US does not?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow, I might actually look into D+. I only tried it for a hot minute and that was to watch old 90s Disney afternoon cartoons, so I had no idea that it was basically FXX and Hulu Canada.
This is an article from January before Star content was added to D+ and it's mostly right. The only thing I can see right away that wasn't actually added in Canada (but was in other countries) was the ABC show Big Sky and that's probably because of CTV/Bell.

whatsondisneyplus.com

Everything Coming To Star On Disney+ (Canada)

Disney+ is set to get a huge expansion in Canada on February 23rd, when a sixth brand is added called

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This is an article from January before Star content was added to D+ and it's mostly right. The only thing I can see right away that wasn't actually added in Canada (but was in other countries) was the ABC show Big Sky and that's probably because of CTV/Bell.

whatsondisneyplus.com

Everything Coming To Star On Disney+ (Canada)

Disney+ is set to get a huge expansion in Canada on February 23rd, when a sixth brand is added called
That's not bad. Kind of regret not buying a year when it was cheaper. lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still at the tail-end of season 3, what does he mean by "going back"?
I kind of stopped at season 4, but I can see what he means. It's a show that just became broader, very much like Fresh Off The Boat. I mean the fact that they're doing a spinoff with the girlfriend kind of illustrates the bigger problem I suppose in terms of lack of Asian showrunners and behind the scenes people and all the way down.

Yeah, there's a story here.

There's an interview with Paul Sun-Hyung Lee that aired on the national news tonight (it's weird because it's both news, but also self-promotion for the network, but whatever) and I had no idea that the showrunner basically ghosted the entire cast and refused to speak to them after quitting the show. And he also mentions that people didn't think there was anyone qualified to take over. The fact that Innes Choi was the only Asian in the writer's room speaks volumes to the point about trying to "go back" to the roots too I suppose, but they weren't afforded the opportunity.

It's such an odd situation, but maybe down the line they can bring it back for a special or something... even though CBC really doesn't do that at all. lol

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I kind of stopped at season 4, but I can see what he means. It's a show that just became broader, very much like Fresh Off The Boat. I mean the fact that they're doing a spinoff with the girlfriend kind of illustrates the bigger problem I suppose in terms of lack of Asian showrunners and behind the scenes people and all the way down.

There's an interview with Paul Sun-Hyung Lee that aired on the national news tonight (it's weird because it's both news, but also self-promotion for the network, but whatever) and I had no idea that the showrunner basically ghosted the entire cast and refused to speak to them after quitting the show. And he also mentions that people didn't think there was anyone qualified to take over. The fact that Innes Choi was the only Asian in the writer's room speaks volumes to the point about trying to "go back" to the roots too I suppose, but they weren't afforded the opportunity.

It's such an odd situation, but maybe down the line they can bring it back for a special or something... even though CBC really doesn't do that at all. lol

I didn't know he had a YT channel and that he did a live stream after the finale last night.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Kim's Convenience series finale just felt really rushed trying to tie up every character's ending, but part of me did really enjoy how the final couple of minutes was just really chill and uneventful, nothing goofy or ridiculous happens, the family has dinner and says their goodbyes.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Kim's Convenience series finale just felt really rushed trying to tie up every character's ending, but part of me did really enjoy how the final couple of minutes was just really chill and uneventful, nothing goofy or ridiculous happens, the family has dinner and says their goodbyes.
I enjoyed all the names they passed on before naming the store Kim's Convenience. "7/12, like 7/11 but one more", "Kim Hortons, like Tim Hortons but Kim instead" plus a couple more. 😆

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for Kim's Convenience to come to US Netflix now because I want to watch it in high quality and binge it. Last time it showed up pretty fast after the season ended. Hoping it happens very quickly again this year too.

Very sad to hear about the showrunner ghosting people and the feeling that there was no suitable replacement. Also a shame about the status of the writers room because in my mind, there may have been a different outcome if it was different.