• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I read the pilot for this ages ago, when it was a War of the Worlds project, and it was absolutely abysmal. I hope they made improvements, but I'm skeptical given that much of what was in this teaser was in that script...
Well that's a shame. I'm all on board huge budget sci-fi shows and there aren't many of them so it's always disappointing when one turns out blah. On the other hand Apple hasn't really put out anything I actively dislike yet so perhaps they will spruce it up and it's just not obvious from the trailer. Also gravely voiced Sam Neill? Yeah I'm watching this

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a shame. I'm all on board huge budget sci-fi shows and there aren't many of them so it's always disappointing when one turns out blah. On the other hand Apple hasn't really put out anything I actively dislike yet so perhaps they will spruce it up and it's just not obvious from the trailer. Also gravely voiced Sam Neill? Yeah I'm watching this
It's 95% about the humans and they cocktease you about the aliens, outside of the teaser. Not to say that is inherently bad, but there's a couple of big problems this show has with that:

1. The human drama is generic stuff you've seen a million times.
2. It's too disparate.

Effectively they are showing you different people in different parts of the world all having to deal with this invasion starting in their own way, but they are completely and utterly disconnected from each other. The thing is, in a show like Sense 8 (for example, as a comparison), it is clear these people are all connected and will come together at some point. Even if it disappointingly took nearly an entire season for that to occur in that show. In this one it doesn't even feel like that is likely. There is 0 connection between the different stories. So you get what feels like 10 minutes of half a dozen different stories -- The Sam Neill character's being the only one that is particularly interesting IMO.

I also don't even think there is much mystery behind the Alien invasion. It's just, there is an alien invasion happening. Especially when you know this was supposed to just be a War of the Worlds project.

All this said, I do want to support more big budget Sci-Fi... I just am really skeptical this is going to be a winner.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Outer Banks was a train wreck. Entertaining... but still a train wreck. I'm honestly not sure if I'm up for a second season.
Entertaining is all I need from these kinds of shows. I took a long time to finally watch the first season (a few weeks ago) but I'll probably watch the second right away.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Zoey's Missing Playlist
NBC Mutes Playlist
"Looks Like You've Reached the End of the Playlist"

Might be a good time for me to watch the series. I've made a great dent into my DVR recordings.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
what if Zooey Deschanel had been the lead in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and the show was called Zooey's Extraordinary Playlist

would the show have still been cancelled 🤔

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
what if Zooey Deschanel had been the lead in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and the show was called Zooey's Extraordinary Playlist

would the show have still been cancelled 🤔
Oh my goodness. I literally never realized that was how her first name was spelled. lmao.

I think the show would have been cancelled still. Maybe even faster.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
fuck

deadline.com

‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Canceled By NBC After 2 Seasons; Series Won’t Move To Peacock, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere

The cast of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist may have performed their last number. NBC has opted not to give a third-season renewal to the show.
Oh well. The second season wasn't as good as the first to be honest.

It's still kind of baffling that it was doing really well in the beginning of its second season on Tuesdays, only for NBC to put it on hiatus and move it to a different night after it resumed and had series lows.

Networks have to stop with their erratic schedules!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Zoey's Extraordinary Silence
I think this was an actual episode name.

I'm gonna be in denial for now and holding out hope because Lionsgate is trying to find a home for the show:

"Lionsgate Television, which co-produces the series with Universal Television, will be mounting an aggressive effort to find another home for the show outside NBCUniversal. The indie studio previously successfully relocated country music drama Nashville to CMT after its cancellation by ABC.

"In a world where finding loyal and passionate audiences is never easy, we believe there must be a home for this great, award-winning show with a passionate and dedicated following," Lionsgate spokesperson said in a statement."

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
G_Shumi, thanks so much for all the hard work you've put into posting the ratings. I really appreciate it a ton. It's been a lot of fun to come in here and read them every day. Also a great source for which shows aired new episodes the previous night.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
End of an era. I never really engaged with the ratings stuff, but props to you for putting the work in - I know others enjoyed it (especially when it was more relevant than it seems to be nowadays).
Totally understand you wanting to end posting the ratings especially if its taking more work. Thanks for doing it as long as you did! :)
G_Shumi, thanks so much for all the hard work you've put into posting the ratings. I really appreciate it a ton. It's been a lot of fun to come in here and read them every day. Also a great source for which shows aired new episodes the previous night.
G Shumi ratings king 🤩
Thank you all so much! I didn't even realize how long I've been doing this. Lol. I think I started posting overnight ratings since Resetera started 4.5 years ago. (I checked the old place but couldn't find my old posts. Also yikes at the old place!) It's been pretty fun to post the ratings everyday and actually kind of led me to realize that I want to be an analyst since I genuinely enjoy looking at charts and interpreting them.

Even though most of the time I've been just copying and pasting the charts from Showbuzzdaily without context, it was a lot of fun seeing what shows were doing well (and even more fun seeing what shows bombed) and providing some sort of context in the crazy world of television.

I really enjoy this thread the most and look forward to whatever the future of television may hold!

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
fuck

deadline.com

‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Canceled By NBC After 2 Seasons; Series Won’t Move To Peacock, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere

The cast of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist may have performed their last number. NBC has opted not to give a third-season renewal to the show.

That's really disappointing and even a little more shocking that they wouldn't put it on Peacock. There's not exactly a wealth of great original content on there (in my opinion).

It's even more disappointing when you consider the implications of the finale and what a potential season 3 might look like. Ugh.

Here's to hoping someone else picks it up...

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Saw the Zoey news at work :(

If it's not going to Peacock, seems unlikely that another platform will pick it up unfortunately. It wasn't great, but was unique with a really good leading performance from Jane Levy. Would have liked to see where they took the story considering how things ended.

Another example if you are doing something out of the box of (cop, lawyer, doctor) on network TV, it is really hard to succeed.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Zoey's Playlist OK, but it never reached the heights of Crazy Ex Girlfriend for me.

It didn't help that the first season had so many songs sung by people who weren't great at singing.

Had some surpringly good drama at times for a musical show (especially in the first season with the dying father), and touched on some big issues (especially in the second season), so I still liked the show overall.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
With Showbuzzdaily now shutting down permanently, I have been thinking about ending posting ratings since it now takes a bit more work on my end to get an image of the chart, plus overall TV ratings are so low nowadays that we're dissecting one-tenths of a rating for every show to determine if it'll get renewed or not. And even then, it doesn't ultimately matter anymore since broadcasters are seeing how well their shows do on streaming sites. Clearly the days of broadcast TV having amazing numbers are over. But, in the meantime, I'll still keep posting overnight preliminary ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale until we either start a new thread for the 2021-22 season or whenever my company decides to go back to the office. If anyone else wants to start posting ratings, you can, and you can even reach out to me if you want any tips.

Tuesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

QcPF671.png
Not gonna lie, I use those ratings charts to remember what new shows are airing. I'm sure there's an actual resource for that, but it was just easier to check this thread. lol

But yeah, if the source is gone, then that's fair.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings from TV Line:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, Fox's MasterChef: Legends drew 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating, holding steady week to week to lead Wednesday in the demo.

Leading out of that, Crime Scene Kitchen (1.7 mil/0.4) was also steady.

Over on CBS, Kids Say the Darndest Things (3.1 mil/0.4) was steady and delivered the night's largest audience.

Leading out of Press Your Luck (which dipped to 2.9 mil/0.4), ABC's A Million Little Things ticked up from last week with its first hour (2.5 mil/0.4) but returned to its series low demo with the actual finale (2.3 mil/0.3).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, ABC's Rebel — leading out of a 20/20 special about Erin Brockovich — wrapped its one-and-done run with 2.7 million total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating for both hours of its double-episode finale night, dipping to series lows in both measures.

Over on NBC, bubble drama Manifest drew 2.8 mil/0.4 with its first hour, followed by 2.6 mil/0.4 for Part 2 of the Season 3 finale — both tying last week's series lows in the demo and the latter marking an audience low.

Fox's Beat Shazam (1.9 mil/0.5) led Thursday in the demo, while CBS' United States of Al (3.7 mil/0.4) easily drew the night's largest audience. (CBS' Clarice was steady with 1.8 mil/0.2)

Over on The CW, Walker (1.04 mil/0.2) was steady, while Legacies (440K/0.1) shed some viewers.

5mEd8Er.png

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Manifest was on last night? Aw man I didnt realize it. I've been watching a few episodes this season and been wanting to see it.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
You know, the more I examine what Apple is doing with their originals, the more I appreciate it. I realize they have no back catalog but I appreciate that they are giving most of their originals a chance to breathe while people are still getting acclimated to AppleTV+.

I never gave See a chance but knowing that it's at least getting 3 seasons makes me at least consider checking it out in the future.