• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
AVclub gave Physical a C-. First miss of Apple TV+ comedies?

A dark comedy of the black hole variety, Apple TV+'s Physical raises the question of who would actually want to enter this bleak 1981 San Diego landscape and hang out with such loathsome characters. Annie Weisman, a veteran of such shows as Desperate Housewives, The Path, and Almost Family, created Physical via her recent production deal with Apple. But despite her impressive résumé, she's crafted 10 episodes of an exceptionally thorny dramedy, exhausting even at only a half-hour a pop.

https://www.avclub.com/apple-tv-plus-physical-has-a-lot-of-issues-to-work-out-1847030248

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of disappointing reviews:

tvline.com

Kevin Can F**k Himself Review: AMC’s Suffocating Satire Isn’t Joking Around

AMC's 'Kevin Can F**k Himself' wastes an intriguing concept by mixing hacky sitcom antics with a crushingly grim tone — read our review.
Well, AMC's new dramedy Kevin Can F**k Himself — premiering Sunday, June 20 at 9/8c — aims to blow up that stereotype, promising a meta satire that demolishes those creaky old TV clichés. (The title even refers to a particularly infamous example of the genre: the Kevin James-Erinn Hayes CBS sitcom Kevin Can Wait.) But after watching the first four episodes, I'm thinking maybe this was a better idea than an actual series, because the result is a grim, unpleasant mishmash that doesn't really work on either end. The satire is suffocating… and we end up feeling suffocated, too.
Allison's real world, though, isn't much more satisfying or sharply written than the sitcom world. The dramatic scenes seem to be going for a Breaking Bad vibe, as Allison dips her toe into the local criminal underworld, but it's hard to get invested in her journey. The show hesitates to go all the way and make her a full-blown killer, so her character ends up being frustratingly wishy-washy. Plus, there's a crushing sadness to her scenes that just becomes oppressive. We want (we need!) to see her win occasionally, but anytime she gets a faint glimmer of salvation, it's swiftly snuffed out, in a way that borders on sadistic.

It's easy to understand why Murphy would take this role, just based on the premise, but the ample charms she showed on Schitt's Creek are muted here. (Her fleeting Bahstahn accent is a distraction, too.) Mary Hollis Inboden has some good moments as sarcastic neighbor Patty, who reluctantly befriends Allison and has secrets of her own, but most of the cast outside of Murphy is either deliberately irritating or just forgettable. It's a shame, because there's a good TV show to be made about a sitcom wife's secret double life. (WandaVision explored similar ideas with much greater success.) But here, the concept turns sour and curdled, and we end up as miserable as Allison is.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
That is a shame. I did feel like Kevin Can Fuck Himself would be better as just a straight up comedy that messes around and ignores some of the cliches. But I still thought it would turn out well. Maybe there will be more favorable reviews of it later by other reviewers.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There are

www.metacritic.com

Kevin Can F**k Himself

Kevin Can F**k Himself Season 1 show reviews & Metacritic score: Allison McRoberts (Annie Murphy) has been living like a stereotypical sitcom housewife but after 10 years, she reaches her breaking point in this dark comedy cr...
Oh there we go. Thanks! For whatever reason, I never got to metacritic for scores unless I'm checking it out for games. I keep forgetting that it covers so much more than that lol

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I just...don't see John Cho as Spike. Andrew Koji would have been a much better fit 😩

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of disappointing reviews:

tvline.com

Kevin Can F**k Himself Review: AMC’s Suffocating Satire Isn’t Joking Around

AMC's 'Kevin Can F**k Himself' wastes an intriguing concept by mixing hacky sitcom antics with a crushingly grim tone — read our review.
Making this a weird high concept dramedy show as opposed to a light touch parody of the format seemed like a strange move to make. It feels like they wanted to do more than the obvious joke, but had no idea how to actually elevate it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Netflix Geeked is really empty lol, they just spent a good while revealing the EPISODE TITLES of season 3 of Umbrella Academy.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing with your life if you're actively consuming Netflix promo materials? It's inane drivel and any valuable news will be in headlines within minutes.

--

'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' Team Reunite For Studiocanal Series 'Europa' Based On Dave Hutchinson's 'Fractured Europe Sequence' Spy Novels
EXCLUSIVE: Here's a project that's likely to generate plenty of buzz globally: Studiocanal is reuniting the BAFTA-winning and Oscar-nominated team behind Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy to adapt spy author Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe Sequence novels into a major television series.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy writer Peter Straughan and director Tomas Alfredson will turn the best-selling novels into an eight-part series, titled Europa, which will be co-produced by Seven Stories, the All3Media-backed production company founded by Girl With A Pearl Earring producer Anand Tucker.

Hutchinson has written four Fractured Europe Sequence books since 2014. The series is set in a near-future Europe, which has splintered into countless tiny nation-states after being ravaged by a pandemic and economic decay.

In the first book, Europe In Autumn, Rudi, a chef based out of a small restaurant in Krakow, Poland, is drawn into a new career with Les Coureurs des Bois, a shadowy organization that will move anything across any state line for a price. Soon, Rudi is in a world of high-risk smuggling operations, where kidnappings and double-crossing are as natural as a map that constantly redraws itself.
You have my attention.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Ken Jeong, Keegan-Michael Key Among 6 Cast In Mike Myers’ Netflix Comedy Series

Mike Myers' Netflix comedy series has added Ken Jeong, Keegan-Michael Key, and four more to cast.
Ken Jeong, Keegan-Michael Key, Debi Mazar, Richard McCabe, Jennifer Saunders and Lydia West have joined the cast of The Pentaverate, Netflix's previously untitled half-hour comedy limited series, produced by and starring Mike Myers.

Production has begun on the six-episode series in which Myers plays seven new characters.

Created by Myers and directed by Tim Kirkby (Fleabag), the series asks "What if a secret society of five men has been working to influence world events for the greater good since the Black Plague of 1347?" As the series begins, one unlikely Canadian journalist finds himself embroiled in a mission to uncover the truth and just possibly save the world himself. Remember, the Pentaverate must never be exposed!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, ABC's rejiggered The Bachelorette kicked off Season 17 with 3.6 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating — down sharply from its previous opener (5 mil/1.4) to mark all-time premiere lows, yet still commanding Monday's highest demo rating.

Leading out of that, The Good Doctor (3.92 mil/0.6) ticked up week-to-week, and drew Monday's biggest audience.

Over on NBC, American Ninja Warrior (3.3 mil/0.45) was steady, while Small Fortune (1.4 mil/0.2) dipped.

Fox's Hell's Kitchen (2.4 mil/0.6), Housebroken (980K/0.3) and Duncanville (710K/0.2) were all steady in the demo.

ZBLcjqf.png

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
With Showbuzzdaily now shutting down permanently, I have been thinking about ending posting ratings since it now takes a bit more work on my end to get an image of the chart, plus overall TV ratings are so low nowadays that we're dissecting one-tenths of a rating for every show to determine if it'll get renewed or not. And even then, it doesn't ultimately matter anymore since broadcasters are seeing how well their shows do on streaming sites. Clearly the days of broadcast TV having amazing numbers are over. But, in the meantime, I'll still keep posting overnight preliminary ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale until we either start a new thread for the 2021-22 season or whenever my company decides to go back to the office. If anyone else wants to start posting ratings, you can, and you can even reach out to me if you want any tips.

Tuesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, The CW's The Flash this week drew 770,000 total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, marking its best audience in five episodes while also ticking up in the demo.

Superman & Lois (890K/0.2) similarly rose in both measures week-to-week.

Elsewhere:

NBC | America's Got Talent (6.9 mil/0.9) dipped from its season opener yet still dominated Tuesday in both measures. New Amsterdam (4.1 mil/0.5) was steady with its season finale.

FOX | LEGO Masters (1.5 mil/0.5) and Mental Samurai (1.2 mil/0.3) were both steady.

QcPF671.png

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
End of an era. I never really engaged with the ratings stuff, but props to you for putting the work in - I know others enjoyed it (especially when it was more relevant than it seems to be nowadays).

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
With Showbuzzdaily now shutting down permanently, I have been thinking about ending posting ratings since it now takes a bit more work on my end to get an image of the chart, plus overall TV ratings are so low nowadays that we're dissecting one-tenths of a rating for every show to determine if it'll get renewed or not.
Totally understand you wanting to end posting the ratings especially if its taking more work. Thanks for doing it as long as you did! :)

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
With Showbuzzdaily now shutting down permanently, I have been thinking about ending posting ratings since it now takes a bit more work on my end to get an image of the chart, plus overall TV ratings are so low nowadays that we're dissecting one-tenths of a rating for every show to determine if it'll get renewed or not. And even then, it doesn't ultimately matter anymore since broadcasters are seeing how well their shows do on streaming sites. Clearly the days of broadcast TV having amazing numbers are over. But, in the meantime, I'll still keep posting overnight preliminary ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale until we either start a new thread for the 2021-22 season or whenever my company decides to go back to the office. If anyone else wants to start posting ratings, you can, and you can even reach out to me if you want any tips.
You busted your ass for this so it makes sense to just call it once the new season starts, plus summer stuff isn't as major anyways.

End of an era.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Outer Banks S2 Trailer - returns July 30

Invasion teaser

Outer Banks was a train wreck. Entertaining... but still a train wreck. I'm honestly not sure if I'm up for a second season.

That Invasion teaser is decent... it's got my interest. Will be interested to hear more about what the story is going to be.