• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Punky Brewster’ Sequel Canceled By Peacock After One Season

Peacock has opted not to renew Punky Brewster for a second season. The followup to the 1984 sitcom was headlined by the original series’ star Soleil Moon Frye reprising her role as the titular character who became a pop culture staple of the 1980s. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots...
All this nostalgia play seems to have gone nowhere... like Fuller House was the only one that kind of worked out. And maybe Girl Meets World?
I wouldn't have minded more of the show as background noise, but it was also the definition of average.

Makes me wonder how Saved by the Bell did for them.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
All this nostalgia play seems to have gone nowhere... like Fuller House was the only one that kind of worked out. And maybe Girl Meets World?
I wouldn't have minded more of the show as background noise, but it was also the definition of average.

Makes me wonder how Saved by the Bell did for them.
Punky Brewster was an odd choice IMO because it wasn't even THAT beloved? Or at least it was very much in a tier below many of the beloved 80s sitcoms.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Punky Brewster was an odd choice IMO because it wasn't even THAT beloved? Or at least it was very much in a tier below many of the beloved 80s sitcoms.
Anecdotally, when I mentioned that there was a reboot at work and wondered who would be interested, a few women who would have been a similar said that they loved the show/character. So there are some people who fondly remember the series at least. Just not enough of them bothered to watch the revival, or perhaps even knew it existed.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's WORLDWIDE Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of August 22, 2021:
https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/world/2021-08-22/

1.Hit and RunSeason 1United States= (3rd Week)
2.The Good DoctorSeasons 1-4United States↑ 1
3.Outer BanksSeasons 1-2United States↓ 1
4.Sex/LifeSeason 1United States= (3rd Week)
5.The ChairSeason 1United StatesNEW
6.AlRawabi School for GirlsSeason 1Jordan↑ 1
7.RiverdaleSeasons 1-5United StatesNEW
8.ValeriaSeasons 1-2Spain↓ 3
9.The Snitch Cartel: OriginsSeason 1Colombia=
10.NeverthelessSeason 1South KoreaRE-ENTRY

And this week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of August 22, 2021:
https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/united-states/2021-08-22/

1.Outer BanksSeasons 1-2= (4th Week)
2.ManifestSeasons 1-3NEW
3.All AmericanSeasons 1-3=
4.The ChairSeason 1NEW
5.CocomelonSeasons 1-3=
6.Bake SquadSeason 1↑ 2
7.Grace and FrankieSeasons 1-7↓ 2
8.ShadowplaySeason 1NEW
9.Gabby's DollhouseSeasons 1-2=
10.Hit and RunSeason 1↓ 6

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Anecdotally, when I mentioned that there was a reboot at work and wondered who would be interested, a few women who would have been a similar said that they loved the show/character. So there are some people who fondly remember the series at least. Just not enough of them bothered to watch the revival, or perhaps even knew it existed.

I mean, it came right as the reboots already plateaued or moving on to the 00 reboots.

Also Peacock has been barely used by anyone.
Yeah, terrible marketing on an unpopular platform will kill any show, especially those based on nostalgia.

Oct 25, 2017
So first of all, the whole premise and appeal of American Horror Stories is that it's an episodic anthology, meaning every episode tells a standalone story like the Twilight Zone or Black Mirror.

Except 3 of the 7 episodes - almost half of the season - have one continuous and overarching storyline. Thus defeating the whole purpose of the fucking show?

Like...

Anyway, these 3 episodes (the two part season premiere and the finale) were only ones written by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.

The first two are a tired and generic retread of the first season of the show, Murder House. Reusing the same tropes, setup, etc that fans have seen a million times thus far (Murder House stuff appears in other seasons of the show too). They're a boring waste of time but whatever.

Then the finale.

it opens with two new characters arriving at the Murder House. They're there because American Horror Story exists as a TV show in universe and they're super fans. They talk about Sarah Paulson not liking S6 and "oh won't it be fun to see where they filmed the show blah blah" so they go inside and after a while they get murdered...by characters from the show? But then everything pauses and it zooms out to reveal that everything we just witnessed was a video game. An indie video game based on American Horror Story that a woman is developing in her garage. (it's clear Murphy/Falchuk have no idea about game development rofl)

So the son is NOT impressed. There are characters in there that don't belong because they're from other seasons and also the controls are real bad mom! (Never mind that she somehow put together a photo realistic murder sim with a tiny budget and a couple freelancers in her garage) "I'm making this game for you because you're such a big fan of the show" she says. "You could have just watched the show with me if you wanted to bond!!!" yells the frustrated son.

The mom decides to watch American Horror Story on FX on Hulu.

She's taking notes this time!

But it's not enough so she decides to visit the real life location of the murder house so she can fully immerse herself in the set.

She meets with the realtor and pretends to buy the place so she can get access blah blah anyway she goes in there and walks in on Dylan McDermott (star of S1) crying in a chair. She's like whoa aren't you the guy from the TV show? He's not. He's a real ghost...just like in the first season of the show! Everything that happened in the show was real apparently (???????????????). Anyway she encounters characters from the first two episodes of American Horror Stories and they kill her so she gets trapped in the Murder House (in AHS' universe, when you die you get trapped in that location forever).

A year later on Halloween (Halloween is the one time a year where ghosts can leave the place they're stuck in) she finds her son and she's like "I was killed in the Murder House and now I'm a ghost" he's like "yeah I know we found your body a few weeks after you were killed I'm going to burn the murder house down so your spirit can move on" she's like "ok"

In the meantime the returning characters from the first two episodes of American Horror Stories continue their storyline, which is entirely unrelated to anything else happening in this episode.

So the son goes to the murder house and burns it down but there's some drama where one of the female ghosts from the first two episodes doesn't want to go because she's in love with a living girl who's like a serial killer ANYWAY the Iiving girl and the ghost girl are sad but the house burns down and that's that.

The murder house is burned down and they build condos on the land and years later the living girl buys a condo and moves in, in the hope that the ghost girl somehow still lingers in the area. Surprise! She does still linger and the girls live together happily ever after.

But then it pauses and zooms out and we realize that everything we just watched is a video game. The new and improved video game the mom is developing for her son! "This is much better!" says the son "you even fixed the terrible controls!" "Yes, I insisted!" crows the mom. They leave for ice cream or something.

But the camera lingers and we see that one of the ghosts from the Murder House is inside her house now...which????? Is only possible if the Murder House was actually burned down. Even though...it...wasn't because that only happened in the video game which is based on an FX TV show in the universe this episode is set in???

??????????

???????

??
One reference I did like about the episode were the video game characters were named
Dylan and Connie.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
LOTS of TV news today!

Season 2 of "The Morning Show" will premiere on Friday, September 17 on Apple TV+:

The live-action adaptation of "Cowboy Bebop" will premiere on Friday, November 19 on Netflix (the following link has new photos of the cast):

https://tvline.com/2021/08/23/cowboy-bebop-premiere-date-netflix-first-photos/

And HBO announced that "Succession," "Insecure," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" are all having their season premieres in October, according to their official Twitter account.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/succession-season-3-premiere-date-brian-cox-photo-1234819720/

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings from TV Series Finale:

Pc39Xin.png

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Freeform renewed Motherland Fort Salem for a third and final season.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:
And here's the announcement:

Edit 2:
OMG, I'm so excited for this!!
A bit sad that it will be the final season, but 3 seasons is already pretty good. And the writers knowing that they're ending with this one means the story will probably end in a satisfying way.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
people.com

Meredith Hagner Pens Tribute to Search Party After Wrapping Season 5: 'What a Cathartic Joy'

Meredith Hagner penned a heartfelt tribute to Search Party and her character Portia Davenport after wrapping season 5 of the HBO Max series

Search Party has wrapped shooting for a possible final time

Hoping it can be shelled out in November for the 5th anniversary

I kind of hope S5 is the final season because there's only so much more they can do with the characters at this point.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:
And here's the announcement:

Edit 2:
OMG, I'm so excited for this!!
A bit sad that it will be the final season, but 3 seasons is already pretty good. And the writers knowing that they're ending with this one means the story will probably end in a satisfying way.

The final episode for the season has a part 1. Freeform must have given them the go-ahead a while ago.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I take it Motherland Fort Salem is worth watching then? It was one of those high concept things that I just decided not to watch because it was too out there.

Apropos of nothing, but is The League any good?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I take it Motherland Fort Salem is worth watching then? It was one of those high concept things that I just decided not to watch because it was too out there.

I'm obsessed with this show. It's very good!

It doesn't have the budget of other high profile series out there – and sometimes it shows – but the writing is very strong throughout all of it. Eliot Laurence does such a fantastic job, it's a passion project for him and it's very apparent. The acting is also phenomenal across the board.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm obsessed with this show. It's very good!

It doesn't have the budget of other high profile series out there – and sometimes it shows – but the writing is very strong throughout all of it. Eliot Laurence does such a fantastic job, it's a passion project for him and it's very apparent. The acting is also phenomenal across the board.
Is the show basically like X-men x Underworld in terms of the whole 'us vs them but in the context of the supernatural' thing?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Is the show basically like X-men x Underworld in terms of the whole 'us vs them but in the context of the supernatural' thing?

Yes and no. Basically, it's an alternate history show where a bit more than 300 years ago the witches ended their persecution in Salem by cutting a deal with the government to fight for the country in exchange of their lives. So now the military forces in the US are entirely composed of witches. If you're born a witch, it's your duty to report for conscription in the US army. It's the law.

So it made a society that is much more matriarchal as women have a lot of power. But it's far from being all good, as a group of rogue witches that are very against the conscription law have been performing terrorism acts across the country for years now. So the perception of the general public about witches is... complicated.

The whole thing is in my opinion very well done. It's an idea that could have ended up being very silly, but it's not. The writing really is very, very good.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. Basically, it's an alternate history show where a bit more than 300 years ago the witches ended their persecution in Salem by cutting a deal with the government to fight for the country in exchange of their lives. So now the military forces in the US are entirely composed of witches. If you're born a witch, it's your duty to report for conscription in the US army. It's the law.

So it made a society that is much more matriarchal as women have a lot of power. But it's far from being all good, as a group of rogue witches that are very against the conscription law have been performing terrorism acts across the country for years now. So the perception of the general public about witches is... complicated.

The whole thing is in my opinion very well done. It's an idea that could have ended up being very silly, but it's not. The writing really is very, very good.
Yeah, I read the wiki entry and that's why it reminded me of X-men with witches instead of mutants.

I think I was expecting something more like Watchmen, where it's "what if the US had Witches in Afghanistan", but I also imagine that'd be wildly out of scope. lol

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah, I read the wiki entry and that's why it reminded me of X-men with witches instead of mutants.

I think I was expecting something more like Watchmen, where it's "what if the US had Witches in Afghanistan", but I also imagine that'd be wildly out of scope. lol

Let me know if you end up giving the show a watch. I would be curious to know your thoughts :)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The League is pretty funny at times but good luck getting "this guy lied about being in 9/11" out of your head for any scene featuring what is basically the lead character.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Motherland world-building itself is one of the most interesting worlds I've seen on TV in years. I wish more time was spent on it though. Here's the thread if you want to check it out. The season finale's today.

www.resetera.com

Motherland: Fort Salem- This is what happens when women are allowed in the military. Entertainment

i wouldn't say she's in charge but was letting it go on to keep her status but now it's getting out of hand b/c she's getting couped also did Rae just infect the necrowall trying to cure the girl. that necrowall seemed hella important

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017

Yea, idk where they plan to go with this.

How was it? The trailer looked good and I love Cranston but it felt like it came and went like a fart in the wind. It also looked more like a limited series. Did it end conclusively?
It was good, but felt like white people getting away with causing black pain tbh. I believe it was promo'd as a limited series. Ending is hard to explain, I guess it would depend on what you mean by conclusively lol.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
How long has Republic of Sarah gotten the Blutarsky? Is this the first time it's happened to a show on its first season?