• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't watch The White Lotus (because poors aren't allowed to have HBO) but I looked up the ending because it was so controversial, and lo and behold, it's another instance of one of the worst tropes in media. *sigh*

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
really liked Brand New Cherry Flavor, even tho I can't decide if I thought it was good, or if it's a American Horror Story Asylum situation where its trash but its so psychadelic that I can't help but love it. But I did like it a lot and I'm not a reviewer so really, who gives a fuck.

Also for something touted as a "limited series" it sure ends very open ended.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I think they are referring to...

Bury Your Gays because Armand dies.

Which is nonsense but sadly people will continue to throwing out that criticism every time a character who is gay dies.

I hope that's not the trope that is referenced, because it's definitely not the case here. People need to better understand what this trope really is…

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch The White Lotus (because poors aren't allowed to have HBO) but I looked up the ending because it was so controversial, and lo and behold, it's another instance of one of the worst tropes in media. *sigh*

I understand it's a problematic trope but I'm surprised the ending was controversial. It made a lot of sense in the context of the story. Like, it's almost surprising it wasn't worse or more fucked up. Would it be unreasonable to ask if a writer within the same minority as this trope can have a little more leeway in storytelling than a network executive? Mike White was really vocal about getting to have pretty complete creative freedom. And for anyone concerned about intentions he explained his super well in the Vulture interview.

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
lol what's the point in spoiler tagging when it's pretty fuckin obvious what trope you're talking about lol
Because maybe someone coming into this thread might not be expecting to be hit with spoilers for the last episode of The White Lotus. It's basic decency, regardless if someone can parse the hidden message through context.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The whole story of White Lotus is about how dominant groups stay in power by stepping over minorities, of course it ended like that.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

Which is nonsense but sadly people will continue to throwing out that criticism every time a character who is gay dies.
I didn't even consider that but it is actually there. It is one part of the overall conclusion that all of the characters get though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Because maybe someone coming into this thread might not be expecting to be hit with spoilers for the last episode of The White Lotus. It's basic decency, regardless if someone can parse the hidden message through context.
basic decency for what? I haven't even seen the show yet and I know what they're talking about and now know what's coming. there's no point half ass spoiler tagging lol

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My sincere apologies ZeroX for not using spoiler tags, I've edited my post. I didn't think through how transparent my wording was. If it helps, it's not as deleterious of a spoiler as it would be on most other shows. I feel bad, though. I'll be more careful.

The interview is why I looked it up. That's how I learned about it.
G_Shumi

What kind of controversy is there in this case, and more importantly to me because I've been reading both of your posts for many years, what do you guys make of it? I want to understand a little better why it's problematic in this case.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
My sincere apologies @ZeroX for not using spoiler tags, I've edited my post. I didn't think through how transparent my wording was. If it helps, it's not as deleterious of a spoiler as it would be on most other shows. I feel bad, though. I'll be more careful.
You're good, I'm not concerned about spoilers as a viewer personally, but others might be. It's more just that I could instantly tell what was being referred to with little context.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
My sincere apologies ZeroX for not using spoiler tags, I've edited my post. I didn't think through how transparent my wording was. If it helps, it's not as deleterious of a spoiler as it would be on most other shows. I feel bad, though. I'll be more careful.

G_Shumi

What kind of controversy is there in this case, and more importantly to me because I've been reading both of your posts for many years, what do you guys make of it? I want to understand a little better why it's problematic in this case.
I think "controversy" is a bit overstated in this case. Again, I completely forgot about the "bury your gays" trope in The White Lotus because everyone that worked at the hotel got a bad ending (in addition to Paula, who was on vacation as a friend of the nuclear family).

The ending of The White Lotus, and the series as a whole, is intended to invoke discussion on how resorts operate and treat their employees. It is also intended to show how the very rich and white people take the land from the local natives and turn them into these kinds of resorts for other rich and white people while the local natives are fed scraps.

Also, keep in mind that the show is satire. So, while the show did take everything pretty extreme, there is plenty of truth to it.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

G_Shumi

So just to be clear, are we talking about the bury your gays trope here? Because if this is the case, there is none of that in this show.

Most real examples of this harmful trope treat LGBTQ characters as overly expendable (to serve the arc of straight characters, for example), or the story makes them die specifically because of their gayness, like some hate crimes, or AIDS, and so on. That's not what happens in The White Lotus at all. Armond ends up dying because of his addiction problems. And it's made really clear throughout the whole show.

As a queer person, I'm really tired of people talking about the bury your gays trope each time a gay character dies on screen. Queer people can die too, you know? It actually adds confusion to the much needed discussions around the real instances of the harmful bury your gays trope.

And should I really point out that this whole thing comes from someone that didn't actually watch the show??

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Scenes from a Marriage Trailer

Adapted from Ingmar Bergman's 1973 Swedish classic, and starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain, Scenes from a Marriage re-examines the show's iconic depiction of love, hatred, desire, monogamy, marriage, and divorce through the lens of a contemporary American couple.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

ohhh that. well, for what it's worth, I didn't think it came across that way, though I definitely see how it might look that way just reading about it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
Fox's LEGO Masters this week drew 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, dipping on both counts to hit (at least) season lows. Leading out of that, Fantasy Island (1.7 mil/0.3) was down a tick from its debut.

Over on NBC, America's Got Talent (6.6 mil/0.8) hit and tied season lows, yet still led Tuesday in both measures. College Bowl (2.7 mil/0.4) was steady.

Pending certain adjustment due to MLB preemptions, The CW's Stargirl (1.1 mil/0.2) and the long ago-renewed Superman & Lois' freshman finale (890K/0.2) are currently both up. But again — certain adjustment due to MLB preemptions.

joBw72E.png

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Streaming Boom Keeps TV Salaries at Heady Levels: Here’s What Kate Winslet, Jason Sudeikis and More Are Earning

The changing TV ecosystem has meant the death knell for back-end riches, but the streamers are still shelling out big bucks for A-listers.
Sara Gilbert
"The Conners"
$400K/Episode
John Goodman
"The Conners"
$400K/Episode
Laurie Metcalf
"The Conners"
$400K/Episode
Alec Baldwin
"Dr. Death"
$575K/Episode
Viola Davis
"The First Lady"
$600K/Episode
Michelle Pfeiffer
"The First Lady"
$600K/Episode
Gillian Anderson
"The First Lady"
$600K/Episode
Pedro Pascal
"The Last of Us"
$600K/Episode
Kate Winslet
"Mare of Easttown"
$650K/Episode
Ted Danson
"Mr. Mayor"
$400K/Episode
Jeff Bridges
"The Old Man"
$1M/Episode
Steve Martin
"Only Murders in the Building"
$600K/Episode
Martin Short
"Only Murders in the Building"
$600K/Episode
Angela Bassett
"9-1-1"
$450K/Episode
Sarah Jessica Parker
"And Just Like That..."
$650K-$750K/Episode
Cynthia Nixon
"And Just Like That..."
$650K-$750K/Episode
Kristin Davis
"And Just Like That..."
$650K-$750K/Episode
David Harbour
"Stranger Things"
$350K-$400K/Episode
Winona Ryder
"Stranger Things"
$350K-$400K/Episode
Brian Cox
"Succession"
$400K-$500K/Episode
Jeremy Strong
"Succession"
$300K-$350K/Episode
Kieran Culkin
"Succession"
$300K-$350K/Episode
Sarah Snook
"Succession"
$300K-$350K/Episode
Jason Sudeikis
"Ted Lasso"
$400K/Episode (Season 1)
Chris Pratt
"Terminal List"
$1.4M/Episode
Jude Law
"The Third Day"
$425K/Episode
Henry Cavill
"The Witcher"
$400K/Episode
Bryan Cranston
"Your Honor"
$750K/Episode

With so much of the talent budget focused on the top of the call sheet, those actors further down the list must contend with diminishing episodic paydays. "They're paying the top one, maybe two or three names in the sheet, and everybody else sort of is scraping by," an agent says.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Streaming Boom Keeps TV Salaries at Heady Levels: Here’s What Kate Winslet, Jason Sudeikis and More Are Earning

The changing TV ecosystem has meant the death knell for back-end riches, but the streamers are still shelling out big bucks for A-listers.
I'm not sure what it says that the actress who plays Becky isn't on that list even though she's probably in it as much as the others.

Also, I hope they just end the show if they can get the miracle renewal. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I cared enough to watch the continuation only for Netflix to cancel it after one season anyway. lol

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Also, I hope they just end the show if they can get the miracle renewal. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I cared enough to watch the continuation only for Netflix to cancel it after one season anyway. lol
True. But then again the showrunner seems to have a big ego wanting to stick with his 6 seasons plan.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Oh not only is Movies That Made Us renewed but we know a bunch of the movies they will cover. As I thought to myself as I finished season 2 "surely they must do Robocop right?" I see it is in fact one of the confirmed movies. Another no-brainer is Aliens (you could argue Alien, being the first, but I agree with including the second instead tbh).

The others are actually a lot of horror movies, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th and Coming To America.

I can see them putting the horror movies in another "The Holiday Movies That Made Us" spin off this Halloween (there was a Christmas one last year with Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf) and then the other stuff for season 3.

Notable absence in my opinion... Terminator 2.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Oh not only is Movies That Made Us renewed but we know a bunch of the movies they will cover. As I thought to myself as I finished season 2 "surely they must do Robocop right?" I see it is in fact one of the confirmed movies. Another no-brainer is Aliens (you could argue Alien, being the first, but I agree with including the second instead tbh).

The others are actually a lot of horror movies, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th and Coming To America.

I can see them putting the horror movies in another "The Holiday Movies That Made Us" spin off this Halloween (there was a Christmas one last year with Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf) and then the other stuff for season 3.

Notable absence in my opinion... Terminator 2.
I mean, they need to have enough material and access to the right people to do these things, so notable omissions are just as like to be rights issues rather than want issues.

Some of these have been good, some have been poor, precisely because some didn't have access to the key players outside of maybe archive footage. Like how there's no Tom Hanks in the Forrest Gump one, it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they need to have enough material and access to the right people to do these things, so notable omissions are just as like to be rights issues rather than want issues.

Some of these have been good, some have been poor, precisely because some didn't have access to the key players outside of maybe archive footage. Like how there's no Tom Hanks in the Forrest Gump one, it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

It's why the movies one will never be as good as the toys one, because with the toys you just needed... well the toys. With the movies, the actors are a big part and since clearly this is a "small time" project they only have access to fringe people involved so it ends up feeling cheap like you say. I think Sam Neul was the only "big actor" they got so far?

Still love it tho, and made rewatch Pretty Woman for the first time in like 15 years, and it's still amazing :p

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think the toys one also benefits from their stories also just generally largely being untold as well. Lot of the movies that they've been covering are such pop culture mainstays that they've been covered in interviews, BTS footage, their own documentaries, etc.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, ABC's Press Your Luck this Wednesday drew 2.8 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, hitting and matching series lows. Leading out of that, $100,000 Pyramid (3.4 mil/0.5) was steady, while Superstar (1.7 mil/0.2) dropped sharply from last week's debut.

CBS' Big Brother (3.6 mil/0.9) led Wednesday in the demo, holding steady week-to-week. House Calls With Dr. Phil (1.8 mil/0.3) was down in the demo from Love Island's week-ago airing.

NBC | America's Got Talent (5.5 mil/0.6) was steady week-to-week and led the night in total audience. Family Game Fight (2.2 mil/0.4) dipped some more.

THE CW | Pending adjustment due to sports preemptions, Riverdale (530K/0.1) and In the Dark (400K/0.1) are both currently up in one way or another.

FOX | MasterChef (2.3 mil/0.5) was steady.
S51keNz.png