• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-08-THU.png

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broken image for me as well

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the image has been broken for me for the last week or two, but if I right click and open it in a new tab it loads fine

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Weird! I just copied and pasted the image link again from Showbuzzdaily. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Hopefully it shows up this time for everyone.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Lesley Goldberg retweet this.

XdbLIWG.png

I do not buy this at all, Netflix has opened me up to so many female creators , minority group creators in general I never would have encountered otherwise. Some people really want Netflix to burn don't they.
Yeah, these shows aren't being cancelled because they're female/queer/POC led. They're being cancelled because not enough people are watching them. Several of these shows were highly promoted (including GLOW), and at least Altered Carbon was also extremely high budget. If the ratings don't justify the cost, the show gets cancelled. It's been like that since the dawn of TV. Netflix still is the largest producer of female/queer/POC led shows out there, and they are continuing to make a ton of them even with all of these cancellations. Sex Education is one of their most watched shows, for example.

Things getting un-renewed due to COVID just means those shows were borderline cancel/renew in the first place, and due to the current situation they have to pick and choose where to make cuts, so things that barely got the thumbs up for renewal unfortunately now are being cancelled instead.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The ShowBuzzDaily image doesn't always show for me. Depending on the device and browser it may show up. I can't identify why I can see it at times and why I can't.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
GLOW cancelation really sucks.
I know the actors and crew will probably be onto something new by then probably making it near impossible to get made, but it would still be nice if it was a possibility.

Then again it might end up like Arrested Development season 4 where barely any of the main cast were in the same scenes together (which was where most of the originals humor came from IMO).

I'm still mad about Drunk History ending, especially with the cancelation being more about Comedy Central going in another direction than specifically Covid related.

That one would be such an easy show to do with practically any actors, the cheapest possible sets, costumes, effects, or even just do the skits animated or something. Show should have gone on for 10+ seasons. :(
Drunk History is a prime candidate for an animated series if budget was an issue.
Funny enough it's had so many international spinoffs but I don't think any of them have survived...

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
The Netflix / Mark Millar partnership seems to be completely cursed.

deadline.com

‘The Magic Order’ Not Moving Forward; Netflix Series Was Based On Mark Millar Comic

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has opted not to proceed with The Magic Order, its upcoming series based on the Mark Millar comic published by Netflix. The project had been in early pre-production in Prague for a targeted 2021 start. It had not yet begun casting, with scripts still being written...

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

deadline.com

‘The Magic Order’ Not Moving Forward; Netflix Series Was Based On Mark Millar Comic

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has opted not to proceed with The Magic Order, its upcoming series based on the Mark Millar comic published by Netflix. The project had been in early pre-production in Prague for a targeted 2021 start. It had not yet begun casting, with scripts still being written...

The optics on this are horrible given that Netflix probably sunk millions into developing this (I dare say Wan wasn't cheap to get onboard) when they have an adaptation of Jupiter's Legacy just around the corner that was (according to some) the clusterfuck of all clusterfucks productions.

Worth remembering that Millar's company was the first corporate acquisition that Netflix ever made and in the meantime they've made big money first look deals with Dark Horse and Boom studios spending big money on series like Umbrella Academy and Sandman both from outside studios.

Woah, big moves today:
deadline.com

Channing Dungey Exits Netflix Amid Warner Bros TV Speculation

Channing Dungey has stepped down as VP Original Content and head of drama at Netflix after 20 months to pursue another opportunity.

Woah.

This is actually a pretty big deal.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood Reporter article on various un-renewals:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Making Sense of TV’s Wave of “Un-Renewals”

As the novel coronavirus pandemic continues to ravage balance sheets across the entertainment industry, a rapidly rising number of scripted originals are having their previously announced renewals reversed.

When it comes to wrestling comedy GLOW, Netflix said COVID-19 made filming the "physically intimate show with its large ensemble cast especially challenging." While safety is always a top concern and filming wrestling — or even crowd scenes as in The Society — played a role in GLOW's untimely cancellation, sources note costs on the series had also spiraled, reaching between $8 million-$12 million an episode — before factoring in budgets for PPE [personal protective equipment, which could add an additional $300-500,000 per episode].

!

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Woah, big moves today:
deadline.com

Channing Dungey Exits Netflix Amid Warner Bros TV Speculation

Channing Dungey has stepped down as VP Original Content and head of drama at Netflix after 20 months to pursue another opportunity.

I guess all the big name Cindy Holland, former Netflix 's head of contents, signed will exit soon.

And what the deal with Shonda Rhimes, since her big contact with Netflix in 2017, nothing came out since then. With ABC she had 2 or 3 new show every years.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Forgot they were doing stop motion for the MODOK series

This looks cleeeeeean. They cancelled Howard the Duck and the other shows though, right?

deadline.com

oh no it sucks we aren't getting more mark millar

lol

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

deadline.com

Bummer. Premise sounded interesting. Plus with The Magicians gone :( I don't really have a show in my lineup to fill that void.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I guess all the big name Cindy Holland, former Netflix 's head of contents, signed will exit soon.

And what the deal with Shonda Rhimes, since her big contact with Netflix in 2017, nothing came out since then. With ABC she had 2 or 3 new show every years.

To me it seems like all these executives play musical chairs with the companies they work for.

I believe Shonda's 1st Netflix project is supposed to hit before the end of the year.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
This looks cleeeeeean. They cancelled Howard the Duck and the other shows though, right?

oh no it sucks we aren't getting more mark millar

lol

I believe so, that MODOK is the only remaining one of the animated Hulu projects going forward.

I really enjoyed both Wanted and Kick-Ass when they came out, you would think the Millarworld stuff would have been a potential winner on Netflix, considering the success of The Umbrella Academy or The Boys on Amazon.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me it seems like all these executives play musical chairs with the companies they work for.

I believe Shonda's 1st Netflix project is supposed to hit before the end of the year.
Sort of. Executives basically play a game of survivor in Hollywood. They're all terrified they are going to lose their jobs at any point and so are regularly risk-averse. They all start out together and more and more burn out or get fired from one too many jobs -- Once they've left a company, it is extremely rare to ever return to that company, and there's only so many. The survivors of each round essentially use each job as a stepping stone and reach the next level. Rinse and repeat until there's only a few left at the top. It's vicious.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I believe so, that MODOK is the only remaining one of the animated Hulu projects going forward.

I really enjoyed both Wanted and Kick-Ass when they came out, you would think the Millarworld stuff would have been a potential winner on Netflix, considering the success of The Umbrella Academy or The Boys on Amazon.
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of adaptations of Millar's work. But for them to succeed, they had to be given to strong creative teams that knew how to fix a lot of Millar's shit (Kick-Ass, the comic, is probably the worst piece of art I have ever consumed, while the film is an all-time favorite of mine).

My fear is that, inevitably, we'll get an adaptation that indulges in Millar's worst habits instead of fixing them.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of adaptations of Millar's work. But for them to succeed, they had to be given to strong creative teams that knew how to fix a lot of Millar's shit (Kick-Ass, the comic, is probably the worst piece of art I have ever consumed, while the film is an all-time favorite of mine).

My fear is that, inevitably, we'll get an adaptation that indulges in Millar's worst habits instead of fixing them.

I vaguely remember reading the comic, but I've heard some criticisms of Millar's work in the past. Will be interesting to see how Jupiter's Ascending turns out, especially with the comments hear that the production did not go well at all.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Sort of. Executives basically play a game of survivor in Hollywood. They're all terrified they are going to lose their jobs at any point and so are regularly risk-averse. They all start out together and more and more burn out or get fired from one too many jobs -- Once they've left a company, it is extremely rare to ever return to that company, and there's only so many. The survivors of each round essentially use each job as a stepping stone and reach the next level. Rinse and repeat until there's only a few left at the top. It's vicious.

Seems like a high risk job, but Channing looks to have another job lined up at Warner Media it sounds like. I don't know how all the executive turnover will effect Netflix, since their target audience is everybody and they try to hit all genres. Aside from maybe being more cost effective in the future and targeting shows that can work internationally as well.

The Warner Media shakeup sounded like it resulted in the new regime valuing the Cinemax lineup more, with Warrior eventually coming to HBO Max so that's a plus.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Well, goes to show how little I've paid attention to Australian TV this year - there's actually a new season of Junior Masterchef Australia (with the new hosts) that juts started. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda funny I found myself wanting to watch a ghost show earlier but was immediately lamenting the days when the weren't oversaturated everywhere year-round on tv.
Kinda miss it being a special thing History Channel, Travel, etc on the weekends in like just October

Or when TCM, AMC or whatever is was would have like 1 Friday night where they'd play all the classic Universal Monster movies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of October 11:

1.) The Haunting of Bly Manor (Season 1)
2.) Emily in Paris (Season 1)
3.) Schitt's Creek (Seasons 1-6)
4.) The 100 (Seasons 1-7)
5.) Ratched (Season 1)
6.) Evil (Season 1)
7.) The Great British Baking Show (Collections 1-8)
8.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
9.) Fast and Furious: Spy Racers Rio (Seasons 1-2)
10.) Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Season 1)

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, just heard about Teenage Bounty Hunters, loved the first season. Hope another network picks it up, what's another show with a queer female lead that's not cancelled? Or premiering soon?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of October 11:

1.) The Haunting of Bly Manor (Season 1)
2.) Emily in Paris (Season 1)
3.) Schitt's Creek (Seasons 1-6)
4.) The 100 (Seasons 1-7)
5.) Ratched (Season 1)
6.) Evil (Season 1)
7.) The Great British Baking Show (Collections 1-8)
8.) Cocomelon (Season 1)
9.) Fast and Furious: Spy Racers Rio (Seasons 1-2)
10.) Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Season 1)

we should keep track of how many weeks Cocomelon stays in there.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was wondering about doing that too, or putting some other stats or something (like what's new, what's returned, etc.) But it's a little hard to tell since it's kinda arbitrary as I just started tracking this stuff recently.

also since new stuff comes out on Friday, they should always be near the top of the list on Sunday.

cocomelon has been in the top 10 every week since you started post them, I think

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
also since new stuff comes out on Friday, they should always be near the top of the list on Sunday.

cocomelon has been in the top 10 every week since you started post them, I think
That's true! I forgot about that. Lol.

And yeah, Cocomelon and I think that Jurassic Park show have been in the top 10 every week. Kids shows are surprisingly consistent when it comes to viewership.

Jul 4, 2018
we should keep track of how many weeks Cocomelon stays in there.
I was wondering about doing that too, or putting some other stats or something (like what's new, what's returned, etc.) But it's a little hard to tell since it's kinda arbitrary as I just started tracking this stuff recently.
There has been a few places keeping track, Forbes has the top 50 as of September (and I think US only)

50. 100 Humans - 74 points

49. Teenage Bounty Hunters - 75 points

48. The Big Show Show - 76 points

47. Get Organized with The Home Edit - 79 points

46. The Boss Baby: Back in Business - 80 points

45. Fear City - 83 points

44. The Seven Deadly Sins - 84 points

42. (tie) Sister, Sister - 88 points

42. (tie) Dark Desire - 88 points

41. Fuller House - 89 points

40. Self Made - 90 points

38. (tie) I Am Not Okay With This - 95 points

38. (tie) The Baby-Sitters Club- 95 points

37. World's Most Wanted - 97 points

36. The Last Kingdom - 102 points

35. On My Block - 108 points

34. Hollywood - 109 points

33. Altered Carbon - 112 points

32. Money Heist - 120 points

31. Waco - 123 points

28. (tie) The Legend of Korra- 127 points

28. (tie) Never Have I Ever - 127 points

28. (tie) Too Hot to Handle - 127 points

27. Warrior Nun - 137 points

26. Down to Earth with Zac Efron - 145 points

25. Riverdale - 146 points

24. CoComelon - 147 points

23. Cursed - 152 points

22. The Order - 158 points

21. The Last Dance - 177 points

20. Sweet Magnolias - 181 points

18. (tie) Lucifer - 183 points

18. (tie) Away - 183 points

17. The Trials of Gabriel Hernandez - 190 points

16. Unsolved Mysteries - 196 points

15. Floor is Lava - 203 points

14. Shameless - 206 points

13. Dead to Me - 230 points

12. 13 Reasons Why - 233 points

11. Space Force - 248 points

10. Cobra Kai - 249 points

9. Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich - 261 points

8. All American - 266 points

7. The Office - 280 points

6. Love is Blind - 299 points

5. The Umbrella Academy - 320 points

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender - 339 point

3. Outer Banks - 356 points

2. Ozark - 377 points

1. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness - 387 points

Source:
www.forbes.com

The 50 Most Popular Shows On Netflix (So Far) In 2020

In what has been the most viral year ever for Netflix, these 50 shows have been the most popular.

Also there is another one that is more worldwide that covers both movies and series:

www.whats-on-netflix.com

Biggest Netflix Titles in 2020 According to the Netflix Top 10s

Netflix’s top 10 feature was launched at the end of February 2020 in more than 100 countries after a few months of testing in the UK and Mexico. What looked like another list in the...