• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
one-chicago-vertical.jpg
That's a lot of Chicago!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Central Florida's God is dead and COVID killed it

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If the threadmark for that announcement isn't titled "Central Florida's God is dead and COVID killed it", I will be mighty disappointed.

EDIT: And here I am, not disappointed. It's not often you get a chance to make a really good silly Nietzsche reference. :)

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Can someone explain why these shows have to be cancelled and can't just be delayed a year?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can someone explain why these shows have to be cancelled and can't just be delayed a year?
You'd have to keep actors and certain crew on a contract, while also not paying them. It's standard practice to release talent from contracts if you cannot continue production or won't pay them. Paying people with no output to keep them in their contracts instead of just bailing on the production isn't cost-effective.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Likely complicating issues is the fact that the series was produced by an outside studio (Sony TV), meaning Showtime would have had to pay a licensing fee. That means the show would have been increasingly expensive to produce after factoring in rising costs to produce the series when factoring in added time and safety precautions stemming from filming during a global pandemic. The cast, sources say, was already paid for season two.

per THR

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
You know, given that they had already paid for the casts, I'm surprised they didn't try to either go for the audio drama/podcast route or something since I assume locking down the cast is the biggest cost. Well, I guess assuming they had scripts anyway.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man...a lot of great shows with great lady leads on the chopping block. Really bummed out that covid screwed a few incredible shows.

MAKE 👏 THAT 👏 MOVIE!! 😭

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Even they all go to productions next years, the gap between 2 seasons is more than 2 years. Like Stumptown, the latest ABC can air next season is summer 2021. I guess studio heads think maybe its best to move on.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘On Becoming A God In Central Florida’ Canceled By Showtime, Won’t Proceed With Season 2 Due To COVID

EXCLUSIVE: Showtime has reversed its Season 2 pickup decision for On Becoming a God in Central Florida, starring Kirsten Dunst. Originally renewed more than a year ago, in September 2019, filming on the series’ second season was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, which halted all production in...

nooooooooooooo
Bummer.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

I've been wanting to watch this. One of the few CW shows I've missed the first time around (I gambled it wouldn't make it past season 1 - I was wrong).

But now can't find it anywhere to watch the earlier seasons for free on streaming services I have. (Netflix, Amazon, CBS All-Access, Hulu, Disney+).

If anyone has any suggestions, much appreciated. Don't want to watch it via CW's streaming, which I think is CW Seed, because want to watch on TV (not computer).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. Full and final ratings for last night's Vice Presidential debate will be out later today, but here is a taste of how it did on the four major networks:

ABC won the night with an average of 8.29 million viewers.
NBC came in second with an average of 5.61 million viewers.
CBS came in third with an average of 4.61 million viewers.
Fox came in fourth with an average of 3.95 million viewers.

So the grand total from all four major networks was 22.46 million viewers. This is a bit better from the Vice Presidential debate in 2016 where the total from the four major networks then was 21.8 million viewers. Keep in mind, though, that between 2016 and now, a lot more people cut cable and watch streaming, so we'll see what streaming numbers when those come in. (Or IF they come in, since I never saw them for the first Presidential debate last week...)

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-07-WED.png

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Streaming Neilson's are out. The Boys dropped in its second week, although there was only 1 new episode that week as opposed to 3.

Ej0QeRbX0AI3kdL

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘On Becoming A God In Central Florida’ Canceled By Showtime, Won’t Proceed With Season 2 Due To COVID

EXCLUSIVE: Showtime has reversed its Season 2 pickup decision for On Becoming a God in Central Florida, starring Kirsten Dunst. Originally renewed more than a year ago, in September 2019, filming on the series’ second season was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, which halted all production in...

nooooooooooooo
Uuugggghhhhhhhhh

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question: I've picked up Castle Rock again. Finished the first season yesterday which was overall very good with a somewhat dud of an ending. I'm a couple of episodes into season 2 now and it's quite good shit thus far. I also have to say that the cinematography of everything so far is stupendous, really beautiful show compared to a lot of other stuff.

Anyway, is it known if a season 3 is planned for it?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Quick question: I've picked up Castle Rock again. Finished the first season yesterday which was overall very good with a somewhat dud of an ending. I'm a couple of episodes into season 2 now and it's quite good shit thus far. I also have to say that the cinematography of everything so far is stupendous, really beautiful show compared to a lot of other stuff.

Anyway, is it known if a season 3 is planned for it?

While it hasn't been officially cancelled the fact that it's from an outside studio (Warners) and the showrunners have already moved on to the Shining prequel show on HBO Max (Overlook Hotel, again for Bad Robot) all signs point to no more Castle Rock sadly.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
GLOW cancelation really sucks.
I know the actors and crew will probably be onto something new by then probably making it near impossible to get made, but it would still be nice if it was a possibility.

Then again it might end up like Arrested Development season 4 where barely any of the main cast were in the same scenes together (which was where most of the originals humor came from IMO).

I'm still mad about Drunk History ending, especially with the cancelation being more about Comedy Central going in another direction than specifically Covid related.

That one would be such an easy show to do with practically any actors, the cheapest possible sets, costumes, effects, or even just do the skits animated or something. Show should have gone on for 10+ seasons. :(

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like Amazon is doing the "3 episode premiere, 1 week thereafter" release schedule for The Expanse as well.

tvline.com

The Expanse Gets Season 5 Premiere Date, Weekly Releases — Watch Trailer

Watch a trailer for "The Expanse" Season 5, and find out when it will premiere on Amazon Prime.

The correct way to release (most) shows! Huzzah!

Not surprising, considering the success they have had with The Boys, along with the fact they don't put out nearly as much content as Netflix does.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Amazon is doing the "3 episode premiere, 1 week thereafter" release schedule for The Expanse as well.

tvline.com

The Expanse Gets Season 5 Premiere Date, Weekly Releases — Watch Trailer

Watch a trailer for "The Expanse" Season 5, and find out when it will premiere on Amazon Prime.

The correct way to release (most) shows! Huzzah!
100%. Although I find HBO Max's start with 3 and then release 2 weekly after that to be interesting too.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Central God was so good and so weird, that's a real shame. It also had a pretty small cast and there's nothing all that inherent in the concept that would have made it super hard to shoot in covid.

Oh well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
All Netflix cares about is algorithmic results. They need shows that people click on and watch at least ten minutes of so they stay subbed for another month waiting for the next show to sample.

I wouldn't be surprised if their greenlit system is an AI too.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I do not buy this at all, Netflix has opened me up to so many female creators , minority group creators in general I never would have encountered otherwise. Some people really want Netflix to burn don't they.
How many of those did they promote? That's my biggest issue with Netflix. If I was a casual viewer I'd have no idea about what's new. We'll see how it changes with only 1 head for TV now.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
How many of those did they promote? That's my biggest issue with Netflix. If I was a casual viewer I'd have no idea about what's new.

Oh if the argument is they don't promote the shows enough, that there is just floods and floods of content and all these voices get lost OK I'll hear that discussion. But they are giving those voices a chance and they are making projects with those voices

Feel good- mae Martin female queer lead/creator
Never have i ever- female poc, renewed for second season
Atypical - creator is a female POC,writers room full of women, lots of women directors
Boys in the band remake
The half of it film- lead femal POC
Elite- has strong gay storylines
Sex education- poc charxfeea, queerasF
All the female standup specials they produce , many queer comedians
Queer eye
Grace and Frankie - Female led, Lily tomlin is a lesbian you want to get me that the actors are straight ok but it's still a beautiful, positive depiction of a gay relationship, even rarer because they're older gay men, something almost neverrrr depicted
Just released" 40yo version"- female poc led and directed
Enola Holmes- female lead
Vampires v the Bronx- pretty much all POC cast, Latino director
All the queerness that goes on in anything Ryan Murphy makes
Gentefied- POC created, renewed for a 2nd season, poc cast
Bonding- renewed for a second season, queer asF
Da 5 bloods- spike Lee film
The documentary "13th"
When they see us
Michelle Obama doc
#blackaf

I'm leaving out a lot. Like a lotttttt. Era is not the barometer for what people watch on Netflix.

I can't tell you the number of posts that are, " Well, outside of stranger things, mind hunters , Narcos what does Netflix have?" Or posts of that nature. Absolutely ridiculous.

There is so, so much content. I'm not even touching foreign language content ( series, films) that are constantly being made that are full of proper representation of different sexualities, ethnicities

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Oh fuck, they're going to covid-cancel Atypical's final season too, aren't they?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Not Teenage Bounty Hunters ☹

That show was funny and left on a cliffhanger. Streaming age is very odd. Gunna be left with all these shows that just start and stop. And then be lost to time.