• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The reasoning on GLOW feels at odds with their renewal of Cobra Kai, but maybe since the cast of Cobra Kai is less likely to have conflicts in their schedule is the difference.
How's that? GLOW's last season was over a year ago and the new one would've needed more filming. As far as most of Cobra Kai's audience is concerned the show only just released (despite YouTube). And season 3 is ready to go. It's a lot more present in audience's minds.

Considering they paid out the cast I don't think this is a conflict thing. It's just a case of not being able to film at all til COVID is gone and that could be a LONG time. GLOW is also shot in LA, while Cobra Kai despite being set in LA is filmed in mostly Atlanta (with a little bit in LA and Okinawa).

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
How's that? GLOW's last season was over a year ago and the new one would've needed more filming. As far as most of Cobra Kai's audience is concerned the show only just released (despite YouTube). And season 3 is ready to go. It's a lot more present in audience's minds.

Considering they paid out the cast I don't think this is a conflict thing. It's just a case of not being able to film at all til COVID is gone and that could be a LONG time. GLOW is also shot in LA, while Cobra Kai despite being set in LA is filmed in mostly Atlanta (with a little bit in LA and Okinawa).
I more meant the contact portion of their reasoning.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Gutted about GLOW

Was a bit sad about Teenage Bounty Hunters earlier but I'm already over it

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if GLOW was cancelled, Dear White People probably isn't long for this world either since it's in a very similar situation (films in LA, large cast, will have been off the air for like 2 years, etc).

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Hearing the GLOW news at work definitely left me disappointed. Easily one of my favorite Netflix originals, with Season 1 in particular being one of my fastest binge watches on Netflix. I never regret watching shows that end without resolution, but this is really disappointing to know we would have got one if it wasn't for Covid :(

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
There's been no news on Wu Assassins and I assumed that would've gone way before some of these.

I think Netflix just doesn't mention certain shows when it comes to not picking them up. Especially if the show isn't high profile. They did the same thing with Seis Manos (which I enjoyed), but I can't imagine it or Wu Assassins coming back considering how long it's been since they first aired with nothing concrete said.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings. Football obviously dominated the night, while NBC's Town Hall with Joe Biden drew about the same numbers as Donald Trump's Town Hall that aired on ABC last month (0.6, 3.967 million viewers):

Fast-Demo-2020-Oct-05-MON.png

Jul 4, 2018
They won't cancel Umbrella Academy. That's easily one of their biggest hits. It'd be worse than cancelling The Witcher.
By every metric I've seen The Witcher is more popular than Umbrella Academy.

That being said weird that Umbrella Academy hasn't been renewed yet as it seemed to be bigger than the first season. The second season renewal happened about 6 weeks after the first season ended so far it's been over 2 months since the second season ended (although maybe they are just waiting to COVID to subside a bit before announcing a renewal as Canada still seems like a difficult place to film)

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Suzie Crabgrass getting the better over Moze is something I did not expect TBH.
By every metric I've seen The Witcher is more popular than Umbrella Academy.

That being said weird that Umbrella Academy hasn't been renewed yet as it seemed to be bigger than the first season. The second season renewal happened about 6 weeks after the first season ended so far it's been over 2 months since the second season ended (although maybe they are just waiting to COVID to subside a bit before announcing a renewal as Canada still seems like a difficult place to film)
I think it goes back to being a worldwide vs a US-only success. The Witcher is clearly the bigger international hit, but Umbrella Academy doesn't seem that far behind. It's definitely stronger than GLOW, Ozark and The OA in that regrad.

Jul 4, 2018
I think it goes back to being a worldwide vs a US-only success. The Witcher is clearly the bigger international hit, but Umbrella Academy doesn't seem that far behind. It's definitely stronger than GLOW, Ozark and The OA in that regrad.
I agree that Umbrella Academy is one of Netflix biggest scripted shows but it just not on that top level of The Witcher, Stranger Things and Money Heist. For sure much bigger than Glow and The OA though.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Walking Dead World Beyond premiered to 1.6 million viewers and a 0.5 A18-49

Soulmates premiered to 245K viewers and a 0.06 A18-49

This is precisely why AMC keeps doubling down on TWD shows

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I agree that Umbrella Academy is one of Netflix biggest scripted shows but it just not on that top level of The Witcher, Stranger Things and Money Heist. For sure much bigger than Glow and The OA though.
Definitely. I'd say Stranger Things, Money Heist, Dark and The Witcher are their biggest international crossover hits. Umbrella Academy is *almost* there but TBH I felt like the lukewarm reception of season 1 didn't do any favors.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Lumberjanes’ Animated Series in the Works at HBO Max

'Lumberjanes,' the Eisner-winning Boom! Studios comic book, is in development as an HBO Max animated series with Noelle Stevenson writing and exec producing.
Lumberjanes, the Eisner-winning Boom! Studios comic book, is in development to be an animated series for HBO Max.

Noelle Stevenson, who co-created the book and proved her animated mettle showrunning Netflix's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, is writing and executive producing.

The project is in development at the streamer, and should it venture forward, would launch with an animated special that would lead into a series. Stevenson would direct the special and some of the episodes.

Lumberjanes tells of five friends - April, Jo, Mal, Molly, and Ripley – who meet one fateful summer at a camp named Miss Quinzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thilstle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. Their differences isn't the only thing they have to canoe around as the girls soon discover there area mysterious and supernatural forces afoot.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Umbrella Academy is a global hit. It was on my country top 10 for 2 months. In the THR article showed it and Dark are bigger than Stranger Things internationally.

Cursed probably next to be canned.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Walking Dead World Beyond premiered to 1.6 million viewers and a 0.5 A18-49

Soulmates premiered to 245K viewers and a 0.06 A18-49

This is precisely why AMC keeps doubling down on TWD shows

:(

In fairness, I'm sure the TWD Jrs received much more promotion/commercials than Soulmates did. Plus it has the benefit of having a brand behind it, even if that brand is nowhere near what it once was.

Point taken though.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean the concept of Soulmates has been so often played out at this point the show doesn't really appeal to me, and I reckon a bunch of people. Here's that Black Mirror episode you liked, but six times over. Meh?

Besides, the whole concept always has me wondering. If such a test existed, it either works and everyone finds their actual soulmate, or it doesn't work and it dies a painful death because, you know, word gets around. Kinda like Quibi.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
[The Right Stuff] is a show where characters drink and smoke constantly. They sleep around, complete withs plenty of implied, barely covered nudity, and have extramarital affairs. And they say "shit." A lot. Watching the show, it's hard not to think about the mild controversies that moved Love, Simon and High Fidelity, deemed too risqué for Disney+, to sister streaming service Hulu, or the brouhaha surrounding the Lizzie McGuire reboot that has, for now, left it temporarily marooned.

The Right Stuff is based on a legacy title, sure, but in terms of form and content, it's very new for Disney+.

🤔

As a dramatic series, it's phenomenal; it's frequently touching and just as thrilling. But as a show that could potentially usher in a new era of Disney+, it's even more exciting. Sure, this could be just another television show on the platform but it could just as easily become a watershed moment, one where the boundaries of what is considered Disney+ entertainment are cosmically expanded. It might be one small step for streaming, but it's one giant step for Disney+.

😲

collider.com

The Right Stuff Review: Disney Plus Grows Up

The Right Stuff on Disney Plus, based on the book by Tom Wolfe, wonderfully delves into the foundation of the Mercury space program.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying Emily in Paris pretty decently. It's not amazing but it has a fun bingeable quality to it.

Just finished Emily in Paris today. It was fun. Hard to recommend unless you like these type of shows/genre, but if you do its fun. Easy, lightweight, bingeable.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🤔

😲

collider.com

The Right Stuff Review: Disney Plus Grows Up

The Right Stuff on Disney Plus, based on the book by Tom Wolfe, wonderfully delves into the foundation of the Mercury space program.
You know, I wrote this off because it's a Disney+ series that isn't Marvel or Star Wars, but now I just may check it out. Nice to know they let at least one thing get on there that wasn't neutered, although I am skeptical it is a trend or indicator of a larger policy shift.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I wrote this off because it's a Disney+ series that isn't Marvel or Star Wars, but now I just may check it out. Nice to know they let at least one thing get on there that wasn't neutered, although I am skeptical it is a trend or indicator of a larger policy shift.

Other reviews aren't as glowing, but I thought the quoted bits were pretty interesting re: Disney+'s larger strategy

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Its time for D+ bringing more than PG rate contents. Disney began to test D+ in my region. I guess in 2 years they will cover most international markets.

Hulu has no future outside US.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something on Disney+ that's worthwhile? Woah.

What's up with the increased focus on America's space program recently? This is like the fourth show this past year (counting the Netflix doc on The Challenger) focussing on this.
They're all riding For All Mankind's coattails.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was already interested in it but seeing that someone from here worked on it made me want to watch it more.

From the D+ thread:
Please watch The Right Stuff. I worked hard on it.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I dont know rogerebert site also reviews TV series.

Rogerebert.com Reviews The Haunting of Bly Manor

★★☆☆

It takes approximately 500 minutes for creator Mike Flanagan's "The Haunting of Bly Manor" to tell a story that would have been just as effective at 120, or even 150 minutes, with fewer characters. Flanagan's previous blockbuster Netflix miniseries "The Haunting of Hill House" was around the same size, and yet the expanse of "Bly Manor" feels unruly, in part because of some grave mistakes.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Somewhat ironic that The Right Stuff isn''t actually a Disney show at all, it's produced by Warner Bros television as it was made for National Geographic and then 'transitioned' over to the streaming service.

Gracious.