• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think the funnier thing is that the stepson of the creator will eventually become the longest running cast member on NCIS. Sean Murray is credited in 399 episodes, compared to David McCallum's 414 but he has 50 credit only, so Mark Harmon at the same 414 is the only one with more appearances than Murray.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy island continuing the trend of just being bad and nobody seeming to know why it keeps getting new attempts.

Let things die already.

Oct 27, 2017
When will show runners learn not to do that? Just write an episode that can work as a series finale in case you get cancelled. Chuck did that (they had more potential finales than seasons iirc) and it worked.

It's a mystery box show that did nothing to unravel said mystery across 3 seasons. Anything that would work as a series finale would require the writers to know what's inside the box and spill the beans.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's a mystery box show that did nothing to unravel said mystery across 3 seasons. Anything that would work as a series finale would require the writers to know what's inside the box and spill the beans.
They should know that from the start, reveal the mystery at the end of season 1 and go from there if they get renewed, it's not rocket science. The importance of a mystery is overrated anyway, if writers create compelling characters and interesting dynamics between them they can milk those for years and of course revealing the mystery means you can deal with the fallout in season 2.
Dangling a mystery in front of the audience for years just means the writers are creatively bankrupt, it's a cheap trick to get people to keep watching.

After the cancellation the showrunner said in interviews the audience deserves answers as if he didn't have dozens of episodes to give the audience answers and chose not to. And we all know that if NBC had renewed the show there wouldn't have been answers in season 4 either, it's all bullshit.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings from TV Series Finale:

xnye7LL.png

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty interesting article about Kenya Barris' new role at BET. TL:DR: he's got a lot in the works on the film, TV, music, and podcast front.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

“I Want to Do In-Your-Face S***”: Kenya Barris on Why He Left His $100M Netflix Deal to Launch BET Studios

The showrunner turned mogul reveals a new record label, podcast venture, book deal and a first-look film pact: "It’s a special time in this industry if you’re Black and you have something to say."

Seems like he has a lot of ambitious plans going forward and even more creative control than he got at Netflix. #blackAF being reworked as films isn't a bad idea, because it's not like that show was heavy on plot or they couldn't touch on some of the themes in a smaller runtime.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I know this contains more than just TV, but a lot to look forward to next month for Netflix

For me

I Think You Should Leave S2
Never Have I Ever S2
He-Man
maybe the Resident Evil series, but not too hot on the animation

On the movie side

Fear Street movies
Gunpowder Milkshake

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, NBC's The Blacklist ended Season 8 (as well Megan Boone's run as a series regular) with 2.15 million total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating, dipping to series lows on both counts.

Leading into The Blacklist this week was an airing of The Boss Baby, which did 1.6 mil/0.3.

Elsewhere:

FOX | MasterChef (2.6 mil/0.5) dipped but still led Wednesday in the demo; Crime Scene Kitchen (1.8 mil/0.4) was steady.

ABC | Press Your Luck (3 mil/0.4) dipped, while $100,000 Pyramid (3.4 mil/0.4) was steady and drew the night's biggest audience. Card Sharks returned to 2.3 mil/0.3.

THE CW | Kung Fu (850K/0.1) added a few eyeballs, while In the Dark's Season 3 premiere (440K/0.1) matched its sophomore averages.

CBS | Kids Say the Darndest Things (3 mil/0.3) was steady.

mnr1aBS.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy island continuing the trend of just being bad and nobody seeming to know why it keeps getting new attempts.

Let things die already.
Studio execs: But it's established IP!

Pretty interesting article about Kenya Barris' new role at BET. TL:DR: he's got a lot in the works on the film, TV, music, and podcast front.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

“I Want to Do In-Your-Face S***”: Kenya Barris on Why He Left His $100M Netflix Deal to Launch BET Studios

The showrunner turned mogul reveals a new record label, podcast venture, book deal and a first-look film pact: "It’s a special time in this industry if you’re Black and you have something to say."
Kenya Barris: "I need to speak to my people."
Also Kenya Barris: 'I'm writing a book telling white people stuff about black people.'

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
tvline.com

The Blacklist Creator Jon Bokenkamp Exiting Ahead of Season 9: ‘I Genuinely Believe the Series Remains Full of Life’

'The Blacklist' creator Jon Bokenkamp is departing the NBC drama ahead of its ninth season — read his statement.
What I wouldn't give to see behind-the-scenes of this past season. It was more than a bit of a disaster but I give Bokenkamp credit for sticking to his guns against what I assume was massive studio pressure to not have the story go where it did.

The subreddit for this show has been a clusterfuck of denial, anger, stupidity, and bigotry as a result, and not wavering in the face of all that is commendable.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
tvline.com

The Blacklist Creator Jon Bokenkamp Exiting Ahead of Season 9: ‘I Genuinely Believe the Series Remains Full of Life’

'The Blacklist' creator Jon Bokenkamp is departing the NBC drama ahead of its ninth season — read his statement.

I still haven't finished season 8, but from everything I hear about it, it finishes up Liz's story and Red's backstory. It would have to with Megan Boone leaving.

It really sounds like the show should have just ended this season, especially with the creator leaving now. James Spader is the glue that makes Blacklist, but makes me really wonder what they are going to do for season 9 since it seems like the overarching storyline from season 1 has been resolved.

And why would Red still stick around with Liz gone?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Supernatural’ Prequel ‘The Winchesters’ In Works At The CW From Jensen & Danneel Ackles

'Supernatural' is eying a comeback at the CW with a new iteration, prequel The Winchesters centered on Dean and Sam Winchester's parents.
Before Sam and Dean, there was John and Mary. Told from the perspective of narrator Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles), The Winchesters is the epic, untold love story of how John met Mary and how they put it all on the line to not only save their love, but the entire world.
deadline.com

Andrew Garfield & Daisy Edgar-Jones To Star In Limited Series ‘Under The Banner Of Heaven’ For FX From Dustin Lance Black

FX has ordered a limited series based on Jon Krakauer’s Mormon crime drama Under the Banner of Heaven with Andrew Garfield and Daisy Edgar-Jones starring. The series, which is for FX on Hulu, is created by Academy Award-winner Dustin Lance Black (Milk) with Hell or High Water helmer David...
The series, which is for FX on Hulu, is created by Academy Award-winner Dustin Lance Black (Milk) with Hell or High Water helmer David Mackenzie directing.

The book follows a devout detective, whose faith is tested as he investigates a brutal murder that seems to be connected to an esteemed Utah family's spiral into LDS fundamentalism and their distrust in the government.

The Amazing Spider-Man star Garfield will play Pyre, an elder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), otherwise known as Mormons, who is committed to his Church and family but begins to question some of the Church's teachings through his contact with a suspected murderer.

Normal People star Edgar-Jones play as Brenda, a young faithful Mormon who is the victim of a brutal murder.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't finished season 8, but from everything I hear about it, it finishes up Liz's story and Red's backstory. It would have to with Megan Boone leaving.

It really sounds like the show should have just ended this season, especially with the creator leaving now. James Spader is the glue that makes Blacklist, but makes me really wonder what they are going to do for season 9 since it seems like the overarching storyline from season 1 has been resolved.

And why would Red still stick around with Liz gone?
It really feels like it was messier behind the scenes than anyone is willing to say.

Megan Boone was absent from like a third of the season and then it leaks before the finale that she is gone for good. And then in the finale they outright kill her.
The creator has talked in the past about how he needed to get NBC's permission to end the show the way he wants to.
The finale airs and it confirms that Red is really Katarina but does it vaguely enough and without vocalizing it so that it will ruffle the fewest feathers amongst the audience.
Creator bounces the very next day and now the show basically has to reboot itself.

To me that all screams that there was a lot going on behind-the-scenes, with NBC almost certainly cagey about the Katarina reveal, leading to the awkward mess of the season and the vague enough resolution that the show can ignore in the future. Whatever form the show takes in the future I would bet money that the name Katarina Rostova and everything that goes with it, will be used far, far less.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Andrew Garfield & Daisy Edgar-Jones To Star In Limited Series ‘Under The Banner Of Heaven’ For FX From Dustin Lance Black

FX has ordered a limited series based on Jon Krakauer’s Mormon crime drama Under the Banner of Heaven with Andrew Garfield and Daisy Edgar-Jones starring. The series, which is for FX on Hulu, is created by Academy Award-winner Dustin Lance Black (Milk) with Hell or High Water helmer David...

hmmm could be interesting

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
gforguava Does your spoiler talk about behind the scenes info on what you feel was messy? Or story aspects for the show? Not going to quote your post because I will see what it says, and haven't watched all of season 8 of Blacklist yet.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
gforguava Does your spoiler talk about behind the scenes info on what you feel was messy? Or story aspects for the show? Not going to quote your post because I will see what it says, and haven't watched all of season 8 of Blacklist yet.
Sorry about that, should've been clearer. My spoiler definitely has story stuff about the finale, definitely avoid it if you are still watching.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm frustrated they aren't putting Seinfeld on Netflix until the fall (according to insiders). I've listened to it every night while going to sleep for years.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm frustrated they aren't putting Seinfeld on Netflix until the fall (according to insiders). I've listened to it every night while going to sleep for years.
the local cw has had it on at 10pm since the beginning it feels like it. it's a institution

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Oh, Twitter War. Jared Padalecki doesn't seem to like the Supernatural news.

tvline.com

Was Jared Padalecki Truly Blindsided/ ‘Gutted’ by Jensen Ackles’ Supernatural Spinoff News? Or Is It All Just a Joke?

'Supernatural': Was Jared Padalecki blindsided by Jensen Ackles' spinoff news? Is the bromance in trouble?

Only Jensen Ackles produces and stars (as narrator) in this, after 15 years together Jared should have a role in this, even meaningless job like executive producer or something.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings from TV Line and TV Series Finale:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, NBC's on-the-bubble Good Girls resumed Season 4 on Thursday night with 1.6 million total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating, followed by a second episode's 1.34 mil/0.3 — all told, pretty much on par with this season's Sunday averages (1.5 mil/0.3).

Opening NBC's night, Making It's Season 3 opener (2.1 mil/0.4) was down a tick from its sophomore averages.

Elsewhere:

CBS | United States of Al's Season 1 finale (3.7 mil/0.4) drew Thursday's largest audience, while steady in the demo. With its freshman finale, Clarice (1.96 mil/0.2) — which was rumored to be Paramount+ bound, though those talks are said to have stalled — slipped to its third-smallest audience and matched its demo low.

ABC | When Nature Calls With Helen Mirren debuted to 3.6 mil and a 0.5, tying a steady Holey Moley (2.6 mil/0.5) for the nightly demo win. The Hustler (2 mil/0.4) ticked up.

THE CW | Walker (1 mil/0.2) and Legacies (620K/0.1) each added some eyeballs, with the former also ticking up in the demo.

FOX | Beat Shazam (1.9 mil/0.4) dipped, while Mental Samurai (1.5 mil/0.4) was up sharply from its most recent Tuesday outing.

3qtLm85.png

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Great to have him back, hopefully in front of the camera. Details seem vague.

deadline.com

Nathan Fielder Sets Up ‘The Rehearsal’ At HBO

Nathan Fielder, star of Comedy Central’s Nathan For You and exec producer of lo-fi laugher How To With John Wilson, has set up his latest project with HBO. The comedian has scored a series order for half-hour comedy The Rehearsal. It comes after he struck an overall deal with HBO in 2019 and...

Nathan For You at it's best was great.

giphy.gif