• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... free 6-month Quibi subscription in T-Mobile Tuesdays right now.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
CBS All Acess, err... Paramount Plus+ isn't doing itself any favors by licensing out a lot of its shows to other streamers, thus giving me one less reason to subscribe and not really having a big hit that has been able to break through the countless shows airing.

Star Trek Discovery might be the closet, but that show seems divisive even among Trek fans (not really my jam).

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
CBS All Acess, err... Paramount Plus+ isn't doing itself any favors by licensing out a lot of its shows to other streamers, thus giving me one less reason to subscribe and not really having a big hit that has been able to break through the countless shows airing.

Star Trek Discovery might be the closet, but that show seems divisive even among Trek fans (not really my jam).
Viacom was giving out licenses like candy before the merger, felt very self sabotaging.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Hmmm... free 6-month Quibi subscription in T-Mobile Tuesdays right now.

Wow. I thought the three month initial trial was ambitious/lunacy but that's mental.

It was amazing to see just how quickly QuiBi disappeared from the conversation. If the OT for QuiBI here on Era (surely the exact target audience the platform is after) is just three pages long and hasn't been updated since early July this thing is well and truly toast.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that Peacock had part of a season for free and then premium for episodes. I assumed it would be by season or by show basis but I guess it makes sense. Wound up watching A.P. Bio through someone else. I don't know if I will ever bother using my free level account.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Paramount isn't big enough to compete with the other huge streaming platforms so making a mint in licensing fees and then having a niche product for stuff like Star Trek seems like a good approach. Some people may not like Discovery but given how much Trek content they're putting out it seems to be working out.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling OK KO was one of the first axes to fall from the ATT merger because that happened quickly after the merge was final.

Mmhmm, probably explains why we ended up waiting a year for the majority of Season 2 to happen, only to have it and Season 3 all cramped into a three month schedule.

Still reaaally hoping we get a Blu-Ray collection for the series.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm honestly surprised there's still new episodes/seasons of stuff six months after quarantine. In the last writers strike, tv was a total wasteland after like a month.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm honestly surprised there's still new episodes/seasons of stuff six months after quarantine. In the last writers strike, tv was a total wasteland after like a month.
I think that in 2009 the premium model of producing the entire show and then releasing was something reserved only for premium cable channels. Now, the network television model of writing and filming as you go is the exception.

Something tells me the effects of covid-19 on television will hit 2021 the hardest.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda, reality TV is just faster to make at the moment plus one location mostly.

We likely won't get any new episodes till at least October if shit doesn't hit the fan, plus there's the US election break. Dunno how outside US is doing things.

This is like the writers strike though where it will hit up to early 2021.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tvline.com

Pirate Comedy From Taika Waititi and People of Earth Creator Set at HBO Max

HBO Max has greenlit an Arrrrr!-rated comedy. The streaming service on Tuesday announced a series order for Our Flag Means Death, a period comedy created by People of Earth‘s David Jenkins, who will serve as showrunner. Oscar winner and Emmy nominee Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit, TV’s What We Do in...

HBO Max has greenlit an Arrrrr!-rated comedy.

The streaming service on Tuesday announced a series order for Our Flag Means Death, a period comedy created by People of Earth's David Jenkins, who will serve as showrunner. Oscar winner and Emmy nominee Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit, TV's What We Do in the Shadows) will direct the pilot as well as serve as an executive producer, alongside Garrett Basch (What We Do in the Shadows) and Dan Halsted.

Loosely based on the true adventures of Stede Bonnet, a pampered aristocrat who abandoned his life of privilege to become a pirate, Our Flag Means Death will commence production after Waititi wraps the MCU's Thor: Love and Thunder.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Pen15 season 2 on Friday. If anyone hasn't seen season 1, do so.
So I tried watching this show a few months ago but couldn't get past the first episode. I was really put off by the two main actresses being adults but everyone else being kids. It made me feel really uncomfortable. Does that concept of the show ever gel or is it always there as one of the main jokes?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
So I tried watching this show a few months ago but couldn't get past the first episode. I was really put off by the two main actresses being adults but everyone else being kids. It made me feel really uncomfortable. Does that concept of the show ever gel or is it always there as one of the main jokes?

For some reason, this never bothered me. I don't know if it's because of my vision where I don't really see faces or if it's something else. The only time I really noticed it was when they start to pay attention to boys in some episodes. And even then it's just the height that throws me. It's awkward, but middle school was super awkward.

Episode 1 is probably the weakest episode.

Episode 2 deals with peer pressure and drugs and is pretty great. I don't think it's super important to watch the episodes in a specific order, so you might look at the IMDB descriptions/ratings and pick one to give it a second shot.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
For some reason, this never bothered me. I don't know if it's because of my vision where I don't really see faces or if it's something else. The only time I really noticed it was when they start to pay attention to boys in some episodes. And even then it's just the height that throws me. It's awkward, but middle school was super awkward.

Episode 1 is probably the weakest episode.

Episode 2 deals with peer pressure and drugs and is pretty great. I don't think it's super important to watch the episodes in a specific order, so you might look at the IMDB descriptions/ratings and pick one to give it a second shot.
Okay, thank you. I might give it another shot then. Maybe I also got second-hand cringe since I was actually in middle school during the time frame of the show. Lol.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
tvline.com

Pirate Comedy From Taika Waititi and People of Earth Creator Set at HBO Max

HBO Max has greenlit an Arrrrr!-rated comedy. The streaming service on Tuesday announced a series order for Our Flag Means Death, a period comedy created by People of Earth‘s David Jenkins, who will serve as showrunner. Oscar winner and Emmy nominee Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit, TV’s What We Do in...

Between Thor, the new Star Wars movie, What we do in the Shadows and this Taika is spreading himself pretty damn thin.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get that at all. I have Showtime and would never pay for a standalone CBS All Access/Paramount+ but I'd definitely be interested in, and willing to pay more for, a service that included both.

The name is good, but they really should have folded in Showtime and BET+ to make this more of an equivalent to HBO MAX.

Between Thor, the new Star Wars movie, What we do in the Shadows and this Taika is spreading himself pretty damn thin.
He's no longer involved with What We Do In The Shadows iirc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get that at all. I have Showtime and would never pay for a standalone CBS All Access/Paramount+ but I'd definitely be interested in, and willing to pay more for, a service that included both.

It's super jarring because I remember recently getting an e-mail about this deal for Apple TV+ subscribers:
Beginning today, Apple TV+ subscribers in the US can take advantage of a unique benefit — access to a bundle of CBS All Access and SHOWTIME for only $9.99 per month after a seven-day free trial. By subscribing through Apple TV channels, customers can watch content from all three services online and offline, ad-free and on demand, only on the Apple TV app. Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share the subscriptions to Apple TV+, CBS All Access, and SHOWTIME using just their personal Apple ID and password.

Kind of makes me wonder if that deal is why the US is excluded--maybe Apple has some kind of exclusivity agreement to that bundle only through them?

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
James Dolan (yes, THAT James Dolan) to become chairman of AMC Networks:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

James Dolan Named AMC Networks Chairman As Charles Dolan Steps Aside

James Dolan will become chairman of the company, which owns AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and BBC America
Cable mogul Charles Dolan will step down as executive chairman of AMC Networks, with the 93-year old shifting to a chairman emeritus role. In his place, Dolan's son James Dolan will become chairman of the company, which owns AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and BBC America.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Paramount isn't big enough to compete with the other huge streaming platforms so making a mint in licensing fees and then having a niche product for stuff like Star Trek seems like a good approach. Some people may not like Discovery but given how much Trek content they're putting out it seems to be working out.

Weird for the international expansion though, as they've already sold Discovery and Picard to Netflix and Amazon respectively. Presumably they will keep Brave New Worlds and Lower Decks in the launch countries, but will they end up selling them off in the UK etc in the time being?

I just watched the first episode of The Third Day. Dreadful. And shot like a Samsung TV demo video.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

It does feel like they want to have their cake and eat it too.
I wonder how well exactly CBS All Access/Paramount Plus is doing exactly. The only numbers I can find seem to be combined CBS All Access and Showtime streaming numbers (because for some reason CBS is keeping those services separate as well) that place them at 11 million combined subs. Usually when corporations deliberately obfuscate numbers like that it's because they aren't great and they want to put on some kind of positive spin for shareholders but who knows. They are trying to get into a pretty crowded market and Star Trek seems like the only hit they have so far for CBS All Access.

Oct 27, 2017

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

This happens partly because of SonyTV getting out of selling broadcast comedies. The Goldbergs will be their last. I thing there is a chance The Goldbergs will be some of last decade long broadcast sitcoms like Modern Family, Big Bang Theory.

Network Comedies' Future Threatened By Outdated Broadcast Business Model

It was once considered the holy grail, landing a comedy series on a broadcast network. But now studios may be walking away from the genre as the decades-old broadcast model is becoming increasingly non-viable in the streaming age.

I hear that Sony TV, which is behind the hit ABC comedy series The Goldbergs, has informally notified networks that it will not be selling broadcast comedies in the current financial model, while Lionsgate TV independently has been contemplating a similar decision and may not be an active half-hour seller in broadcast this coming cycle.

Decades ago, once broadcast comedy series got to four seasons and crossed the 100-episode mark, studios could start raking in profits, with revenue from broadcast and off-network syndication quickly covering the deficit, and the networks taking on full cost of the shows starting in Season 5.

With rare exceptions for outsized hits like The Big Bang Theory or Modern Family, that scenario is largely a thing of the past.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
James Dolan (yes, THAT James Dolan) to become chairman of AMC Networks:
www.hollywoodreporter.com

James Dolan Named AMC Networks Chairman As Charles Dolan Steps Aside

James Dolan will become chairman of the company, which owns AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and BBC America
Well, he already is the owner a Walking Dead franchise, why not two?

What a waste of Will Sasso, good lord.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. It's funny how more viewers tuned in to a reality show called "Big Brother" instead of the trainwreck big brother that ABC aired last night. (NBC also got more viewers than ABC, lol):

Fast-Demo-2020-Sep-15-TUE.png

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
www.theringer.com

TV’s Future Will Be More Animated

Animation is one of the only sectors in the entertainment industry that hasn’t been forced to shut down during the pandemic, leading to a boom for a format that was already on the upswing.

This year I've watched Bojack Horseman Season 6, Castlevania Season 3, Harley Quinn Season 1, Avatar Season 1, and F is for Family Season 4. Good to see animation continues to thrive.

Most looking forward to the animated Invincible series coming to Amazon and curious about the animated drama set up at AMC.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the final season of Modern Family on television, and it is impressive, they really went to Paris.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Ratched is getting pretty bad reviews. I'll probably still watch it, but it shot way down my list of priorities.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Ratched is getting pretty bad reviews. I'll probably still watch it, but it shot way down my list of priorities.
Same here. Utopia getting some bad reviews as well.

I've been having bad luck with new shows lately. I hated and bailed on Raised by Wolves and We Are Who We Are and thought The Third Day was merely decent.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
www.theringer.com

TV’s Future Will Be More Animated

Animation is one of the only sectors in the entertainment industry that hasn’t been forced to shut down during the pandemic, leading to a boom for a format that was already on the upswing.

This year I've watched Bojack Horseman Season 6, Castlevania Season 3, Harley Quinn Season 1, Avatar Season 1, and F is for Family Season 4. Good to see animation continues to thrive.

Most looking forward to the animated Invincible series coming to Amazon and curious about the animated drama set up at AMC.
It's funny every 5 years, we get a new animation boom outside of kids cartoons.