• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's the shoulder that bothering Djoker.

Edit: Yeah he's getting that shoulder worked on.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I hate to see retirements. Total bummer (even if I was rooting for Stan). Hope Novak can recover quick. It's better for the sport to have these guys at the top of their game.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's fucked up that they're booing him.
I'm a big Djokovic fan and was at the match. Look, i think people were blindsided by the retirement. From our perspective Djokovic was healthy, but simply being out played. I didn't boo, but I understood those who did. It certainly seemed like Djokovic retired because he knew he was going to lose and didn't want to take the L.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big Djokovic fan and was at the match. Look, i think people were blindsided by the retirement. From our perspective Djokovic was healthy, but simply being out played. I didn't boo, but I understood those who did. It certainly seemed like Djokovic retired because he knew he was going to lose and didn't want to take the L.

I hope you punched that dude who kept yelling out.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Djokovic out?

PRfbU0H.gif

Seriously though, bummer.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

That's a very lame and thin excuse. You guys should never assume things, as despite being meters away from the players, you absolutely have no visibility on their state of minds or of their bodies. Besides, everyone should give the benefit of the doubt to one of the GOATs, 16-time GS winner. Bet your ass as if Federer had retired in such fashion, he would have been cheered off the field.

NYC showing its usual class. Great city, but terrible fans.

Last edited:

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

To be fair, I was watched the final at Wimbledon this year, and the muted applause that greeted Djokovic when he won the match was really quite awful, and the French crowd are particularly hostile to British, Eastern European and American players too.

It's only at the Australian Open where things are quite even — and it is nice to see the Asian players receive a lot of encouragement and support.

Generally, both the US and French Open have bad crowds however, Wimbledon can lean too hard on favouritism, whilst the Australian Open is generally okay with the odd rowdy group of folks.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
To be fair, I was watched the final at Wimbledon this year, and the muted applause that greeted Djokovic when he won the match was really quite awful, and the French crowd are particularly hostile to British, Eastern European and American players too.

It's only at the Australian Open where things are quite even — and it is nice to see the Asian players receive a lot of encouragement and support.

Generally, both the US and French Open have bad crowds however, Wimbledon can lean too hard on favouritism, whilst the Australian Open is generally okay with the odd rowdy group of folks.

Wimby's crowd this year was a disgrace. They have gotten worse over the years as Fed's chances of winning the title kept (naturally) decreasing... first time in my mind that they have reached FO/USO-level of ugly.

AO is the new Wimby as far as I'm concerned.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very lame and thin excuse. You guys should never assume things, as despite being meters away from the players, you absolutely have no visibility on their state of minds or of their bodies. Besides, everyone should give the benefit of the doubt to one of the GOATs, 16-time GS winner. Bet your ass as if Federer had retired in such fashion, he would have been cheered off the field.

There are a few things to consider. You are surrounded by 1000s of people. It's weird as heck, but energy is contagious out there. I don't usually oh and ah when I watch a match at home, but there I'm very vocal. It's embarrassing. I would not boo, but there is a good chance a lot of the audience have no clue about Djokovic being injured.

A medical timeout isn't so obvious when you are high up or one of the 100s (or 1000s) of people that leaves for a break whenever the opportunity presents itself. Watching the game from a seat really is a different perspective. You can somehow see a lot of small details and miss big ones. Like when Tsitsipas was yelling at the Ump in his first round match saying "You are all Weirdos". I had no idea that was going on. It looked like a fairly casual conversation. And we had no announcers, or replays, going over that incident. And I was sitting pretty close. But I can also see what the players are doing while the people at home are watching commercials.

And the last thing to consider is how easily voices carry at these giant stadiums. There's around 23,000 people at Ashe. If only a few hundred people are booing, it's very loud.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka needs to start paying more attention to tennis and stop with all the side things. The only reason she got side things was because she won in tennis. It's can all go away rather quickly if she doesn't regain her form. Some people can juggle all the distractions but she doesn't seem to be one of those.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Yay Bencic. Very bad matchup for Naomi, not a loss caused by lack of effort or whatever