• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will a hardware revision be announced?

• Yes

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 139 88.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
January is just around the corner, so hopefully that means a new Nintendo Direct isn't too far off either. January Directs have been a regular thing since 2013 (aside from 2016).
  • January 23, 2013 - Wii U games, Miiverse and Virtual Console
  • January 17, 2014 - Nintendo 3DS games
  • January 14, 2015 - New Nintendo 3DS reveal, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games
  • January 12, 2017 - Nintendo Switch hardware and software
  • January 11, 2018 - Spring-Summer 2018 Nintendo Switch games
The last three January Directs have all fallen within the first two-weeks of the month. The 2015 Direct revealed the Nintendo 3DS hardware revision.

Do you think there will be a Direct announcement soon? Is there anything you hope to see in the next Direct?

I am hoping for a mention of a Switch hardware revision and maybe a new major first party reveal.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Of course, its a given we're gonna have one as history shows.

But I doubt the hardware revision will be announeced in it.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Too early for a hardware revision announcement. Probably at E3 at the earliest.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, the last direct was the Smash one in november I believe. I would guess that they are going to do something similar to the Jan 2018 one and show off the games that are planned to come out until about June, with maybe a surprise or two that tease something coming out later in the year.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After having millions of people across the world purchase a Switch, it would be the perfect time to drop the revision news.

Joking aside, we are due a direct soon.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I want there to be a hardware revision announced, mostly to spite all the peoplewho think it is impossible.

Also, January direct = reset the clock ?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Lol even if there's a January Direct (I doubt it) you the revision will be announced at the earliest around summer.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Can see there being a Jan/Feb Direct, absolutely no chance of a revision though, it would be suicidal.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Not before this fiscal year, I'm pretty sure the first Direct of the year will be massive regarding new information of games and even new announcements to incentive the sales before the fiscal year ends, if they announce a new revision the effect would be completely opposite.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't actually think we'll get a Nintendo Direct. But I do think we might get a Pokemon Direct announcing Gen 8.

I just remembered that X/Y and Sun/Moon got announced in January and February. The last two remakes got announced before E3, but I think that's because they don't need the larger marketing push being remakes, unlike a brand new Pokemon generation that needs more time to explain what it is.

Last edited:

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost certain there will be a direct since we don't yet know much about the early 2019 release schedule. I think it will be similar to last year's mini, with release dates for known games and a few new surprises. No new hardware announcements at this stage. They'll be more interested in selling software to new and existing Switch owners.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lol even if there's a January Direct (I doubt it) you the revision will be announced at the earliest around summer.
Some people really expect Nintendo to unveil a new system after 5m customers and more got a current Switch this month for the Holidays - doesnt really add up.

Also a Revisions or price drop was never part of the 20mil shipment predictions.

OP
OP
@dedmunk

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Perhaps I put too much emphasis on the new hardware reveal? :S

I am hoping for some new first-party reveals or new info (or gameplay) on already announced games too :)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This thread is even worse than I imagined. lol

hardware revision announced right after christmas lol

it's not even Sunday!

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing a new model out of the blue, 1 month after millions just bought one / got one for Christmas would be hilariously stupid from a PR standpoint.

There will be a January direct. I think it's highly unlikely a new model / revision will be announced in it.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
We need more info on Fire Emblem.

And I'll be hyped for every upcoming Direct because there's a chance there will be something Animal Crossing related

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
announcing a hardware revision right after hundreds of thousands of people got one as a gift would be the stupidest move ever... Nintendo has made those before but I think this time they'd be smarter about it.

Also before anyone points out the New 3DS, that came almost 4 years after the original model released. The Switch hasn't even been out for two yet.

Anyways I figure a January Direct is happening but I'm gonna have tempered expectations. Last year's got hyped up like crazy and it was relatively uneventful.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
There could be a new January Direct, but they won't reveal any revision. They need to reach the gold of 20 million Switches sold, and they know people won't buy the console until the revision is out. Wait till E3 or summer for news.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
No hardware revision announced, but I expect they show everything planned for the first half of the year, and the exact release dates up to April.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors of summer release are true, revision will probably be announced and showcased at E3.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
We have to summon a Direct like we did last year. Cue the 'Reset the Clock' and Burning Chibi-Robos!

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine there will be a direct near the middle of the month. Only an complete idiot would think they would announce a hardware revision at that time, however.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Saturnflix announced. Virtua Fighter 2, Guardian Heroes, Daytona USA and Nights available now free with NSO.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think there will be no direct? If they follow their pattern since the switch release there will be at least a direct mini.
I just don't think it will. It's too predictable for Nintendo.

(also I keep saying this to myself so I don't get hyped and frustrated if there's no Direct but happy if there's one :P)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god is this going to be our 500 page hype thread

Please god yesss
WE
CAN
ONLY
HOPE
dsoodvlotddl.png

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
The cycle never ends. We will probably see a direct, OP. Just as we have in previous Januarys. But expect nothing for certain; we've had years and years of people expecting dead certs from Nintendo only for disappointment to set in when what they expect to happen, doesn't happen.

That being said, I'd be very, very surprised to hear anything regarding hardware. More likely it would be a direct to broadly set out the software lineup for 2019 - and maybe not even the whole of 2019.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Stop making these threads people.

When a direct is announced just make a thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.