• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The same I make and fail to complete every year: clear my backlog of games.

Dec 15, 2017
Play less games, spend less time on You Tube, forums and Internet in general.
Focus on gym and try to learn guitar.
Buy less games, preferably none.
Give my PC the "pro" treatment and upgrade to the best price/performance Navi GPU and add 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Buying no more than one game for the first six months of 2019. I already had a massive backlog, and I received a PS4 as an early Christmas present and spammed my Best Buy GCU before it expired last week (RIP) so I need to slow down and not have a PS4 backlog at all. It's bad enough that I developed a 25+ game backlog on Switch in just a year and a half, so I have to pump the brakes somewhere. Sorry devs, my wallet will open again soon, I promise.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
My Gaming Resolutions for 2019:

Play 50 or so games

Make lots of Youtube videos on many games

Trying to 1CC some arcade games

Build a new gaming PC(or at least get most of the parts)

Get to games that I bought months ago and finally play them

Look for fantastic deals on games whenever possible to try to play them

Try out different game genres for Youtube

Play game series I haven't done for Youtube yet

Play on game systems that I haven't done for Youtube yet

Buy the remaining games that I need to complete collections of game series

Get more Nintendo Switch games

Buy games that are increasing in price before it gets to the point they would be too pricey to afford

Typically try to play certain games and record for Youtube around the time of release of a new game or movie based on that series

And there's still more!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I won't buy any 3rd party game day-1 anymore, considering how fast most of them went on sale this year.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
  • Only buy the games I'm truly interested in. I've had a few impulse purchases I regret, and also purchased a few games this year that I felt a bit disappointed in (e.g. Octopath Traveler, Mario Tennis Aces) so I want to curb my purchasing habits a bit more.
  • Dedicate some time to finishing up some of the games in my backlog, but not tackle it in a way where it feels like a chore. There are a few games that have been left hanging that I'd like to finish up, but I haven't really felt the motivation to do so (I feel like work might be a big contributor to this since I'm usually nearly drained once I get home). This might be easier to do earlier in the year since there aren't any releases I really want to play until Sekiro drops in March, but I'll do what I can.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Honestly mine is to play less games. Not a single 'massive open world' game or a multiplayer game. I always feel like I wasted my time after playing those and I am slowly succeeding in avoiding them.
Only playing games which I can end in a few days and move on, playing a lot more indies, spending less time on gaming sites, forums and youtube. Not getting into useless game related arguments.
I also hope I don't buy any game other than Sekiro, Shenmue 3 and Judgment day 1. Although this is the one I am most likely to fail.

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Try to limit myself to 1 full priced game a month and not to spend more then $100 a month in case there's some indies or some games on sale that I've had my eye on. This year was also the first time I beat more then 52 games (ended at 80) and if I can do the same next year my backlog will be non-existent or close to it depending on how many games I buy this year.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
  • Buy a game I only really want and not on impulse
  • Finish my huge backlog as much as I can
  • Balance my gaming and studying life
  • Practice and try to get better at fighting games again
I can probably do all of them, just a matter of discipline and actually implementing them.

Handa

Nov 14, 2018
Get better at valuing my free time and playing more games. It's crazy the amount of time I have lost from surfing the internet getting lost in YouTube, that could have been better spent working through my backlog, as well as finishing more titles.

Going into next year, I really want to use some of the free-time i have between work and family to really prioritize this past time. I'm even tempted to join the 52 games challenge for 2019.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I alread planned which games I want to play for the next few months, but that has little do with resolutions.
Beyond that I want to
  • Finish the remaning big RPG's I want to play (Xenoblade X, Fallout New Vegas, Pathfinder Kingmaker and I guess DQ11)
  • Play more Yakuza games (Only played 0 so far)
  • Play Lost Odessey (I need my gf xbox for that)
  • Clear my Wii U backlog (Mario 3D World, W101,XBX, Tokyo Mirage Sessions)
  • Clear my PS3 backlog (it's only Dead Space 2 and a few JRPG's)
  • Keep my switch backlog as small as possible.
  • Use my SNES mini more often.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Beat 3 games a month on average. It's going to be difficult to do but if I can succeed then that'll be pretty nice.
Not buy any games this year. I'm not expecting to succeed with this one, but if I can limit the amount of games I buy and focus more on playing what I already have and renting the rest then it should help me to cut down on my backlog.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I'd like to play more indie games than big budget ones.

Also play less MMOs/multiplayer games and more singleplayer stuff. That's gonna be kinda hard though with the new FFXIV expansion coming out.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna try and beat BOTW before the new year. I'm 160 hrs in and have some stuff to wrap up. In fact I just made it to Hyrule castle at hr 158 or so, but dipped out because I wanted to finish al the shrines first. Also, buy less games. I don't need the amount of games I buy. I waste too much money on shit I don't have time for.

gizio

Oct 28, 2017
Complete more than seven games (the number of titles i actually finished in 2018),

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I'd like to play something - debilitating guilt won't allow me to enjoy anything right now. I can count the number of hours I've played this year on one hand, no joke. Bought Beat Saber, played twenty minutes, never touched it again; plus I dabbled in a handful of matches in SFV, DOA and the SC6 beta. I, uh, got caught up in the Spiderman hype but it disappeared before the download finished... In 2017 I managed to play through a good portion of both Horizon and Zelda but I was in a better place and less stressed. Sorry if this is TMI

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
- Budget. Maximum of around €65 a month. If I want to buy more, I'll have to wait or eat into the budget for the next month. I also think that starting in January I'm going to start saving for a PS5.
- Finish games. If I have bought two games, I need to have finished one before buying another. This is hard with GAAS or multiplayer games. If I get more then 50 hours Ill give the ok to myself to buy something new. Also, never play more then two games at the same time.
- Finish BOTW. Beat all the guardians, but still have some memories and Ganon to complete.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
get a solid chunk of my backlog finished as i added a lot of old games due to the Top RPG thread a while back. And marathoning Zelda games like i did with Ys this year.

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Get better at valuing my free time and playing more games. It's crazy the amount of time I have lost from surfing the internet getting lost in YouTube, that could have been better spent working through my backlog, as well as finishing more titles.

Going into next year, I really want to use some of the free-time i have between work and family to really prioritize this past time. I'm even tempted to join the 52 games challenge for 2019.

I've joined and failed two years in a row. This year was particularly difficult due to moving for a new job. I hope to actually do it this year.

Apr 24, 2018
Main goal 1: Beating 20 games in 2019

Main goal 2: Not increasing my net backlog by any games after Q1'19 (e.g. beating one game then getting a new game would fulfill this criteria); I've already pre-
ordered stuff throughout Q1 and accept it as a lost cause

Main goal 3: Finding the energy to play games when I have free time (my job leaves me so burned out/stressed that I often don't make much of my free time, sadly)

Subgoals:
  • Finishing DQ11
  • Beating Ys VIII (stopped about 2/3 in)
  • Starting and completing Final Fantasy 15
  • Starting and completing Nier Automata
  • Beat a least 5 "short" games (12-15 hours or less)

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I play and finish a decent amount of games.

My resolution is pretty hardcore; I'm not buying any games in 2019. January 1st 2019 to January 1st 2020, I will not purchase any video games. No DLC, no add ons, no sales, nothing. I will still rent games from the library and take advantage of free PS+ games but I'm not going to be buying anything.

It'll help me focus on the backlog a bit.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've joined and failed two years in a row. This year was particularly difficult due to moving for a new job. I hope to actually do it this year.
I don't think 52 games challenge is a good format, since it can preasure you playing games you not really want to play and it can make you feel bad for playing very long games, because it feels like you falling behind.
3 in a Month is much more enjoyable to me. Not as much preasure and even if you screw up once, it doesn't really matter once the next months starts.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I had a pretty productive 2018 in terms of playing a lot of stuff that was either in my backlog or on my wall of shame. I've already got a mental checklist of what I want to tackle next year:
  • Finish Red Dead Redemption 2. This will probably be the first order of business in the new year. I bounced off of it about a month ago in Chapter 2, realizing it was a game I wasn't going to get much out of playing it a little bit here and a little bit there. Once it's the only game I'm focusing on, I'm hoping I'll be able to really get into it.
  • Do all of my elaborate Hitman 2 runs. The most-enjoyable part of Hitman is after mastering all of the stages, I'll script up a series of "perfect" assassinations on each map and try to pull them off and capture them in one take. I'm just about finished with the challenges in each map, but I haven't gone back to do this yet.
  • Stick w/ Smash Bros. Ultimate. I fell off of Smash 4 for a number of reasons, and I didn't take the time to learn all of the new characters (or even some of characters that were new in Brawl). Since the Switch is a system I use almost daily and I have more people to play Smash with locally now, I'm planning on sticking with this game long-term and getting better across-the-board. That includes finishing World of Light, doing Classic Mode with all characters and mixing up which fighters I use online.
  • Shenmue I and II. I need to finally play these before Shenmue III comes out.
  • Deus Ex. I've played through all of the classic PC immersive sim games and all of their sequels over the past several years, except for the original Deus Ex. I know I'm going to love it. This is a big one that I really want to finally play.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X. The last Wii U game in my backlog, and it's been lingering for a while. I wanted to play it this year but there were too many other big games and I didn't want to get burned out on them.
  • Continue Yakuza. I did Yakuza 0 in 2017 and Kiwami 1 earlier this year. Rather than jumping straight to 6, I'm going to try and play through the series in order at my own pace. So Kiwami 2 is up next.
  • Finish Handheld Zelda. It dawned on me earlier in the year that as a big Zelda fan, I was being petty and stupid in my neglect of the handheld branch of the series (ALBW was the only one I'd played for the longest time). So earlier in the year, I did Link's Awakening and the Oracle games for the first time, and loved them. Link's Awakening, in particular, is now one of my overall favorites in the entire series. I'm hoping to do Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks in 2019.
  • Resident Evil 7 VR/Madhouse Mode. I didn't do Madhouse Mode back when RE7 came out, figuring I'd do it whenever I got around to replaying the game in VR. Well, since I got PSVR on Black Friday...
  • Other PS2 Horror stuff for around Halloween. My takeaway from the "ResetEra Essential Horror Games" thread was that it would be really helpful to have a reliable way of playing PS2 (and PS1!) games. Haunting Ground and Silent Hill 4 were among the few games that made the list that I haven't played before, and at the same time I've been really itching to replay Silent Hill 2. Since I had a vanilla XBO sitting around doing nothing and a co-worker of mine (who wanted a current-gen system) had a PS2 sitting around doing nothing, we did a little trade! :)

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I told myself at the start of 2017 I was going to try and buy less, especially on day one, and I've managed to stick to that well these past two years so it'll be more of that I think.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
-Buying even less on consoles
-And when buying for my PC still remaining true to my linux colors and not buying a game if said game doesn't have a linux native version.
-Once I made sure it had a linux version checking if it also has a MAC version and if yes then I hit buying the game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be the most ebic hardcore gamer I can be.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Only one:
Finish every game I own and haven't finished before I buy a new game. After that I can play game after game without having a backlog.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Same as every year, and most others by the looks of it, complete more games and purchase less.

I'm not going to make any unrealistic targets like clear my backlog, but I do have a few specifics that I would like to finally complete.

The Witcher 3 / Bloodborne / Shadow of the Colossus / Nier: Automata

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I really should play The Witcher III this year,I've had the GOTY edition for so long,lol.........Cyberpunk will be out at this rate before I get round to it.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying REmake over the past few days has reminded me what it feels like to truly feel love and excitement for a game. So, I'm no longer wasting my time and money on games I'm only mildly interested in. I'm instead going all in on the games that excite me.

I also plan on spending a lot less time on this forum.

Hahah, literally playing the same thing right now and also realizing the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for enough feedback to come out about any Nintendo game before buying it (I spent $60 on most of Nintendo's first party stuff this year and sans Smash, was super disappointed with it).

Buy games almost exclusively when they're on sale and use Game Pass / Microsoft Rewards to catch up on multiplat stuff I missed.

And other than that just finish up games I started this year. AC Odyssey, Red Dead 2, Witcher 2, Witcher 3, Danganronpa 2, and KH 2.5.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Finish RDR2. Oh and all those other damn games I purchased in 2017 and 2018 while I was working full time and earning my master's: AC Origins, AC Odyssey, Cuphead, Hitman 2, Hollow Knight, Kingdom Come, Sonic Mania, Spider-Man, and Vampyr, among others I'm sure.