• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is one that affects most of Latin American leftist movements, caudillismo. Basically, the party is Evo and Evo is the party, everyone else is secondary. They had been building a cult of personality around him because they wanted him to continue leading the party and country. Successors were not named or probably even considered at this point. Also, the man, as humble as he appears in interviews, has a huge ego.

In my opinion if the party had prepared a different person with time, having them be seen in public with Evo, be part of the government and then have Evo endorse them... they could have won easily. Big mistake on their part, but I don't think they considered it for a second.

Haven't you yourself thrown around the theory he was grooming Salvatierra? Which, if true, I would assume he thought she was too young to be president at this point

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, some stuff is starting to come to light, although it is not been the center of attention due to the violent confrontations lately.

Choque, the former president of the TSE (Supreme Electoral Tribunal), who has been in custody since early this week, has said that she is just 'a victim of decisions coming from elsewhere' and has pointed to Lucy Cruz, former member of the TSE board, as the person who ordered the shutdown of electricity and Internet connection in the building where the preliminary counting was taking place.

Investigation will continue and sooner or later we will know if there was fraud, whether or not that will matter at that point (seeing recent developments) remains to be seen.

The problem is one that affects most of Latin American leftist movements, caudillismo. Basically, the party is Evo and Evo is the party, everyone else is secondary. They had been building a cult of personality around him because they wanted him to continue leading the party and country. Successors were not named or probably even considered at this point. Also, the man, as humble as he appears in interviews, has a huge ego.

In my opinion if the party had prepared a different person with time, having them be seen in public with Evo, be part of the government and then have Evo endorse them... they could have won easily. Big mistake on their part, but I don't think they considered it for a second.
I used to call him Ego Morales, believe it or not. Lol

OP
OP
Untzillatx

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Haven't you yourself thrown around the theory he was grooming Salvatierra? Which, if true, I would assume he thought she was too young to be president at this point

It was rumoured, so I don't know how much credibility it has. She is young (only 30 years old), but seeing how with Morales gone she has taken the reins of the party and everyone seems to respect that, it at the very least proves that she does have some level of internal authority in the party. I mean, despite her young age she was president of the senate, which is not a minor thing.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Police started shooting medical volunteers helping the wounded.
OnjMuYE.jpg

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Police started shooting medical volunteers helping the wounded.
OnjMuYE.jpg

I believe this is from Chile though.

They have been doing this for days. Last night a guy died after police attacked the paramedics taking care of him

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised this can happen in Bolivia too.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017

I will vividly remember the first day of this happening, seeing a full page of people going "yes!, democracy wins" and other tripe on ERA.

This shows just how easy it is to manipulate people.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Media watchdog group, FAIR.org posted an article and an episode of Counterspin about the portrayal of this coup in the Western media.

FAIR: Western Media Whitewash Bolivia's Far-Right Coup

For all the supposed threat Trump represents and the enthusiasm sparked by his possible impeachment, Western media continue to march lockstep behind his administration's coups in Latin America.

For Reuters (11/14/19), the self-proclaimed head of state is the "Bolivia interim president," whereas the elected president is just "Morales."

Áñez has been sympathetically described as a "qualified lawyer" (BBC, 11/13/19), a "proud Christian" (France 24, 11/13/19) as well as a "women's rights activist and television presenter" (Time, 11/12/19). Reuters (11/13/19) called her "Bolivian Interim President Jeanine Áñez," AP (11/13/19) had her as "Bolivia's newly declared interim president," whereas for the BBC (11/13/19) she was simply "President Áñez." AFP (published in France 24, 11/13/19) described her as "the South American country's 66th president and the second woman to hold the post."

This language mirrors corporate media profiles of Venezuelan coup leader Juan Guaidó (FAIR.org, 7/23/19), who was depicted as a "freedom fighter" (Fox Business, 1/29/19) and a "salsa-loving baseball fan" (Reuters, 1/23/19) who had "captured the heart of the nation" (New York Times, 3/4/19). References to Guaidó as "president," however, have dwindled in the face of his repeated failure to seize power (FAIR.org, 7/23/19).

Meanwhile, corporate outlets have euphemistically labeled Áñez as "conservative" (Guardian, 10/13/19; New York Times, 10/12/19; Reuters, 10/13/19), eliding any mention of her far-right, virulently anti-indigenous politics. Áñez is a member of the right-wing Democratic Social Movement from the eastern lowland region of Santa Cruz, historically a bastion of separatist groups and home to some of the most powerful Bolivian oligarchic families. She has a history of making glaringly racist remarks, tweeting in 2013 (6/20/13) that the "Aymara New Year," an indigenous holiday, was "Satanic": "There is no replacement for God." Just days before seizing power, she questioned on Twitter (11/6/19) whether some people being interviewed could really be Indigenous—because they were wearing shoes. For all of liberal journalists' virtue-signaling concerning minority rights in the global North, the silence is deafening when it comes to blatant racism from pro-US elites in Latin America.

Áñez has another scandal brewing, which has yet to be reported in the English-speaking press: Her nephew was arrested for drug trafficking in 2017. According to EFE (10/20/17), Carlos Andrés Áñez Dorado was arrested in Brazil on October 15, 2017, in possession of 480 kilograms of cocaine—more than half a ton.

Given the extensive coverage corporate journalists gave to the arrest and conviction of Venezuelan first lady Cilia Flores' "narco-nephews" in 2015–17 (e.g. Business Insider, 10/31/16; Miami Herald, 12/13/17; Daily Beast, 12/15/17), one could expect equally damning exposés in the case of Áñez. Readers shouldn't hold their breath.

In addition to whitewashing Áñez, corporate journalists have sought to sanitize the image of the figure widely considered to be the real force behind the coup: Christian fundamentalist multimillionaire Luis Fernando Camacho.

Camacho is quite literally a fascist who got his political start in the sieg-heiling Santa Cruz Youth Union, an ultra-right paramilitary outfit that was instrumental in the Santa Cruz oligarchy's 2008 US-backed secessionist plot which ultimately failed.

But none of this appears to matter to the Western media, which have portrayed Camacho as a "conservative protest leader" (BBC, 11/13/19), "a firebrand Christian" (Financial Times, 11/12/19) and a "civic leader" (Reuters, 11/7/19).

Also notoriously absent from mainstream coverage of the Bolivia coup are references to the fascist tactics employed by the opposition. Images and reports on social media showed MAS leaders attacked by mobs, tied to trees, their houses set on fire and several being forced to resign by opposition violence. Instead, corporate journalists innocuously described the increasingly violent right-wing mobilizations as "mass protests" (BBC, 10/31/19), "dissent" (AP, 11/8/19) and "civil disobedience" (New York Times, 10/31/19).

The right-wing violence was framed as "clashes" (DW, 11/8/19; France 24, 11/8/19) over "controversial" or "disputed" electoral results (Washington Post, 11/07/19; BBC, 11/7/19) enabling the US-backed opposition to don the mantle of pro-democracy protesters. To bolster this "fraud" narrative, Western journalists uncritically repeat the US-financed OAS' claims of "irregularities," and largely ignore a CEPR report that found no evidence discrediting the results.

FAIR Counterspin Podcast: Alex Main on Bolivia Coup

This week on counterspin: The Washington Post doesn't want you to be confused, so they headlined their editorial, "Bolivia Is in Danger of Slipping Into Anarchy. It's Evo Morales's Fault." Elite US media, you understand, are deeply invested in the well-being of Bolivia's people, who are in uproar after a coup ousting Morales, over charges of irregularities in the recent election that appear to have no evidential grounding—nor, in media's view, to require any. Back in 2006, US media were counseling Morales that policies like nationalizing the country's gas industry were popular but "not the answer to Bolivia's problems." Their preferred answer, judging by today's coverage, is celebrating the extra-legal pushout of the country's first indigenous president, and welcoming the self-declared leadership of a legislator who has tweeted that she "dream[ s ] of a Bolivia free of satanic indigenous rites." That's the topsy-turvy world of elite US media's "concerned" foreign policy. Which is why we'll look for a different view from Alex Main, director of international policy at the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is something the left needs to figure out everywhere, but especially in Latin America. The Latin American left relies too heavily in the caudillo, the charismatic leader. Happened in Venezuela, and now also in Bolivia, with bad consequences. You see, if Evo Morales, at the beginning of his last term, had selected a successor, have this person become publicly known (as member of the current government, as spokesperson for the party, or whatever) and then have them be the candidate with ther full endorsement.... they would probably have won quite easily (particularly considering that candidates in Bolivian parties are hand-picked, no primaries).

And that would have meant a continuation of leftist policies and not a regression into right-wing conservativism. But he had to run again. Had to be him and no one else.

There are rumours Adriana Salvatierra was the president's favourite for an eventual successor. But she is young, only 30 years old, so if Morales really did have her in mind, that would have meant he was planning to be president for one or two more terms, which just wouldn't work in my opinion.

The attacks are awful. However, Salvatierra resigned from her position as president of senate shorly after Morales. So she was no longer in the line of succession.

Depends on what you consider a coup. If we consider the classical definition of "an interruption of the constitutional power by other political agents", then yes, it was, particularly because of the military pronunciamiento. However, unlike most coup d'etats no one seized power immediately after, not even the high command of the armed forces. So far, constitutional succession rules have been followed -even if some steps were questionable, like not waiting for the naming of new interim presidents of congress and senate, although it still was constitutional- so it is all open for interpretation.

Still, I think it is important not to paint the whole thing as 'good guys' vs 'evil guys'. Evo Morales was at the end the head of an increasintly undemocratic government, which from day one persecuted his political rivals inside and outside the party, leading to many politicians going into exile.

He is called a champion of indigenous rights... but he favoured the coca leaf producers of the Cochabamba tropic (where he used to be a union leader) while trumping over the rights of all the others, particularly the Amazon tribes, which he ignored and oftentimes attacked (see Tipnis crisis) and also mismanaged (see the case of the Amazon fires, where he pretended everything to be 'ok' while things burned, likely due to pressures from coca-leaf producers who wanted to expand into the region).

And finally Evo Morales himself, who leftist or not, was a sexist and a homophobe.
Yup, that's what pisses me off about Morales. We could have avoided all this, and now the nutjobs are taking advantage. And defending Morales like he is a good leftist is dumb if you look at his actual records. Of course, the right wing and military will always come and do worse, but whatever. Things always have to be black and white, for or against.

Last edited:

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Media watchdog group, FAIR.org posted an article and an episode of Counterspin about the portrayal of this coup in the Western media.

FAIR: Western Media Whitewash Bolivia's Far-Right Coup

FAIR Counterspin Podcast: Alex Main on Bolivia Coup

I have noticed this a lot of these things on these news sites and was pretty angry how one sided the coverage has been on mainstream western media outlets. Glad I was not the only one who saw through the bullshit these news sources are peddling. The idea that the BBC, Reuters, and the New York Times are leftist is laughable at best. This article did not mention it, but I also remember how long it took for these sites to report of the massacre of indigenous protesters, and many western sources referred to the massacre euphemistically as a "skirmish".

It is one thing to see western countries endorse the coup- after all, it is just to be expected given their bigger interest in imperialism and trade interests, but to see groups that are supposed to safeguard the truth endorse it is truly disturbing.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
US media is already pretty lacking when it comes to covering our own government, but when it's about any other country they become no better than Fox News. The only thing that dictates their tone is how willing the government is to bend to America's will.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
US media is already pretty lacking when it comes to covering our own government, but when it's about any other country they become no better than Fox News. The only thing that dictates their tone is how willing the government is to bend to America's will.
The NYT don't have reporters stationed in Bolivia, pretty sure no newspaper in the US do. They rely heavily on their contacts in the state department and the national security community, which is why they time and time and time and time and time again fall for whatever bullshit the current US government is trying to sell.
I mean, do people remember the Iraq war?
That shit was so poorly disgusted even dumb conspiracy stoners got the gist of that war better than the NYT editorial page.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That quote is about Libertarians. (And very much accurate as their lasseiz faire approach to literally everything inevitably leads to massive issues.)
I don't know that it's a verified quote of anyone, I think it's just one of those saying. I donno, you have an authoritative source for that?
FWIW, anecdotally, I heard it said way more often with liberal, though it's probably at partially in part to the circles I hang around with, but google supports that as well.

3w6r39E.png

HLC8mXM.png

Personally I think you can apply this to whatever you personally want, like, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "scratch a Republican" etc.
What are they gonna do? send the quote police after me?

I KNOW MY RIGHTS, I AM A FREEMAN ON THE LAND AND I DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE QUOTE POLICE AS HAVING ANY AUTHORITY OVER ME.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Seeing what is going on over there is terrifying.

The liberals and people backing this coup look appropriatly dumb today with all the shit they did.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that it's a verified quote of anyone, I think it's just one of those saying. I donno, you have an authoritative source for that?
FWIW, anecdotally, I heard it said way more often with liberal, though it's probably at partially in part to the circles I hang around with, but google supports that as well.

3w6r39E.png

HLC8mXM.png

Personally I think you can apply this to whatever you personally want, like, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "scratch a Republican" etc.
What are they gonna do? send the quote police after me?

I KNOW MY RIGHTS, I AM A FREEMAN ON THE LAND AND I DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE QUOTE POLICE AS HAVING ANY AUTHORITY OVER ME.
Its the European definition of "liberal", not the US one. The quote is correct but it doesn't mean what people think it means.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The NYT don't have reporters stationed in Bolivia, pretty sure no newspaper in the US do. They rely heavily on their contacts in the state department and the national security community, which is why they time and time and time and time and time again fall for whatever bullshit the current US government is trying to sell.
I mean, do people remember the Iraq war?
That shit was so poorly disgusted even dumb conspiracy stoners got the gist of that war better than the NYT editorial page.
Jon Stewert was litterally the best reporter of the Iraq War on TV, and he was just a comedian on Comedy Network. It's not the access of information but a complete lack of critical thinking, if their not outright lying to sell US intervention.

CEPR did good research on Venezuela sanctions and Bolivia's vote count, which both point to US's role in the problems the media are talking about, but they don't give it an ounce of attention.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its the European definition of "liberal", not the US one. The quote is correct but it doesn't mean what people think it means.
You have any evidence for that?

FWIW if we talk about actual Nazis, in the Wiemar republic (which I'm pretty sure where the sentiment originally comes from, if not the exact quote), the people who were called liberals were the SDP, which was a center left party, probably closest to the Democratic party in the US (SDP then is not exactly what the SDP is now).

Classical liberalism was pretty much a spent political movement by the time the nazis started getting into power, so I'm not sure why many people would say that about them.
Though again, you can say it about whatever, I really don't think that's even an attributed historical quote of any important person, so it's weird that you'd insist so much that people use a version that at least on the internet, doesn't seem to be use very often.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City

It is so frustrating seeing how little Western news cares about the rest of the world. Theyre very selective on what kind of things they report.

Oct 25, 2017
It is so frustrating seeing how little Western news cares about the rest of the world. Theyre very selective on what kind of things they report.
"western media" is irrelevant for whats going to happen in Bolivia, Bolivia is landlocked and right now all its neighbours are either indifferent or pro
Áñez. Thats going to change when the new goverment enters in Argentina in December but thats still 1 out of 5

OP
OP
Untzillatx

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country

This is disgusting and disturbing.

Fuck everyone who defended this coup.

The English translation to the Spanish text seems to be quite selective. He said they will "hunt down" (terrible choice of words) any MAS member who take part in acts of subversion, in reference to the coca-leaf producer march which apparently had a push from armed militias. There have been reports of armed militias acting from day 1.

There have been sabotages to the utilities network.

Second, "Bolivian dictatorship" is a loaded way of presenting it, no better than the right wing fanatics that call the thing "not a coup" and Evo a "dictator" or "tyrant". In both cases, wrong and politically loaded.

There was a coup, but the instauration of the interim government followed constitutional procedures (and was declared legal by the Constitution Court) and so far they haven't committed any dictatorial, authoritarian or totalitarian acts that could lead anyone to think they're a dictatorship.

MAS still rules both congress and senate and negotiations are underway between the interim government and MAS.

The goal of the government is to call for elections as soon as possible, but they first need to get a new Electoral Tribunal.

If they don't call for elections, and arrest all political dissidence, then I think it'll be sensible to call them a dictatorship. Not yet.

OP seemingly has no more use for this one anyway. Did its job.

How did you figure that?

In any case, people are free to create more threads if they want to (already did).

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
no better than the right wing fanatics that call the thing "not a coup" and Evo a "dictator" or "tyrant". In both cases, wrong and politically loaded.

There was a coup, but the instauration of the interim government followed constitutional procedures (and was declared legal by the Constitution Court) and so far they haven't committed any dictatorial, authoritarian or totalitarian acts that could lead anyone to think they're a dictatorship.

man....... how could anyone be under the impression this wasn't a coup. Only "right wing fanatics" would say that............

I wish people saying this was a coup would read a bit how events transpired. A military coup is when the military forces the government to resign by the threat of force. This DID NOT happen in Bolivia.

The military did not move a finger. Troops were not deployed against the president, nor was he detained or forced to resign against his own will.

People please inform yourself of what a military coup is, ideally from a source different than Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.