• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly great in S1, a complete mess in S2, decent in S3, and pretty rock solid S4-7. The first 3 seasons are part of one big overarching plot, but after that the seasons are a bit more standalone (ish).
Mostly correct, but the first half of season 2 has some tremendous episodes.

The show is definitely worth a watch.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying EVIL....but dear god it has to be the darkest network show on television. The last episode featured Michael Emerson's character attempting to groom an incel into committing a mass shooting. Of course with Emerson it was somehow humorous and at the same time makes you feel disgusting just knowing these hateful attitudes are really out there. I also know no one is is watching it, which is probably why its getting away with what its doing.
Oh my gawd, I just had to stop the latest episode 7 minutes in because I can not believe they just did a cutaway to a train going through some pillars.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my gawd, I just had to stop the latest episode 7 minutes in because I can not believe they just did a cutaway to a train going through some pillars.
That reminds me, there's a later scene where Kristen and her husband are post-coitus under covers in bed...and they're both facing head to each others feet on the bed. I haven't been watching CBS/network tv in a while but the implication was pretty risque!

Nov 1, 2017
This reminds me...

I remember reading that Homeland was awesome. Then awhile later I read that it sucked. What's the general consensus on it? Is it possible to avoid the sucky seasons entirely and still enjoy it, or is it one big over-arching plot?

Season 1 is great, season 2 jumps the shark but is still fun, season 3 is a goddamn disaster, season 4 rules but is structured weird, seasons 5-7 are varying levels of decent

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly correct, but the first half of season 2 has some tremendous episodes.

The show is definitely worth a watch.

Season 2 did have a few good moments across the first 2-3 episodes, yeah. Like 95% of that season was bad though.

People dissing Watchmen and praising post-S3 Homeland. Shit is wack, yo.

8i73zYw.gif

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me...

I remember reading that Homeland was awesome. Then awhile later I read that it sucked. What's the general consensus on it? Is it possible to avoid the sucky seasons entirely and still enjoy it, or is it one big over-arching plot?
Seasons 2 and especially 3 are garbage, but I've really enjoyed the show otherwise. I actually think 4 and onwards are better than the first season was.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What could the creative differences even be? It's Goldbergs in the 90s...
It should be, the unreliable narrator of an adult looking back at his childhood thing for The Goldbergs as a reason to mix so much 80s (and sometimes early 90s) stuff up has always been shaky at best but it doesn't work in any way whatsoever for a show set in the 90s with an adult.

I'm cringing at the Katy Perry song being used in the advertisements already!

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Been catching up on a lot of show I missed out on while wrapping gifts.

Big Little Lies S2: ...I don't think I've watched a season of television where abso-fucking-lutely nothing consequential happens since Dexter S5. Why did they do this?

Chernobyl: It was great. Haunting, devastating... scary, really to think about how close they came to destroying a large part of the planet. I still think When They See Us was the better miniseries this year, but Chernobyl is a very close second.

The Righteous Gemstones: I really don't know what to think about this one, I think I liked it? The one thing I know for sure is that Walter Goggins is a treasure and the best part of the show. It's just a very weird show tonally, it can never quite decide weather it wants to play it straight or be wacky. It just doesn't feel very cohesive.

On Becoming a God in Central Florida: I definitely liked this more than Gemstones, but it has its problems too. The end of the season felt pretty rushed, there's some weird stuff that they never explain, they hint around cult stuff and brainwashing but never take it anywhere. All in all I enjoyed it for the performances more than anything, Kirsten Dunst was pretty good.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

CBS's "Hawaii Five-O" went down 0.2 from its last new episode two weeks ago, while "Magnum P.I." and "Blue Bloods" each went down 0.1.
NBC's "The Blacklist" held steady from two weeks ago. "Dateline" did the same from last week.
Fox's "WWE Friday Night Smackdown" is also even from last week.
The CW's lineup is even from two weeks ago.

Fast-Demo-2019-Dec-06-FRI.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Post-Brody Homeland was just 24 with prestige drama trappings, but you can polish a turd as much as you want, it's still a turd.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I really do like this show but I managed to finish only the first part a few weeks ago. Personally, my biggest problem with it is that every episode is an hour long. Being that I watch sitcoms more than anything, I can handle 44-45 minutes for an episode, but an hour for each one means that there's a lot going on and it's hard for me to watch multiple episodes in a row that way. So I've just been watching it one episode at a time. But when I finished the first part, I felt like I needed a break from it. Again, it's a great show and I like it a lot, but it's just so time consuming. I'll watch the second (and eventually third) part soon though.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Also, this is very old man shouts at cloud of me, but stop calling your seasons "parts" it irks me >_>

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I think the reason they did that with Sabrina is because the first two parts were supposed to be one season when it was originally scheduled for the CW.
It's still weird because they do it with other shows like The Ranch. So some shows are split into seasons and other shows are split into parts. I guess they're afraid of people losing track or something?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I always assumed "parts" was fuckery by producers to avoid giving raises to the crew as per their various union rules.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
you know a show is big when they announce the release date 4 months ahead of time >_>

La Casa de Papel (Money Heist) season 4 out April 3rd 2020

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings:

ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" went down 0.1 from last week. "Kids Say the Darndest Things" went down 0.2 from two weeks ago. "The Rookie" went up 0.1 from last week.

CBS's "God Friended Me" went up 0.2 from its last new episode two weeks ago, while "NCIS: Los Angeles" went down 0.2 from last week. The series finale of "Madam Secretary" isn't on this grid, but I'm reading from other sites that it earned a 0.5, which is even with last week.

"Miss Universe 2019" on NBC is down 0.2 from last year.

Part 1 of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" on The CW, which started with "Supergirl" last night, is down very slightly--by 0.1--compared to last year's crossover, "Elseworlds."

Fast-Demo-2019-Dec-08-SUN.png

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's been 4 months since Jett ended, so I'm going to assume it's dead.

I'm also going to assume that Cinemax is dead as well, seeing as how they haven't announced any new programming in 2 (?!) years. 2020 will have the final season of Strike Back, the second season of Warrior, and presumably Gangs of London but I wouldn't expect the latter two to continue beyond that unless HBO Max picks them up like they did with Search Party.

:/

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm also going to assume that Cinemax is dead as well, seeing as how they haven't announced any new programming in 2 (?!) years. 2020 will have the final season of Strike Back, the second season of Warrior, and presumably Gangs of London but I wouldn't expect the latter two to continue beyond that unless HBO Max picks them up like they did with Search Party.

I literally haven't heard anything yet, but I would say it's too early to tell. Cinemax traditionally has not done a ton of originals, and picks them up sparsely -- as you say, it's been two years since a new announcement, and that predates Warrior or Jett even premiering (or Warrior's renewal). I do think AT&T just hasn't figured out what they want to do with Cinemax yet and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these series continue on HBO Max even if Cinemax does go the way of the dodo.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hoax. We're being gaslit by old white men.

Also I'm now reminded of Grace & Frankie getting snubbed, among many others, at the GGs. Our world is a mess.

The fact that so many critics have rallied around it but continue to ignore Grace & Frankie is 😤

I literally haven't heard anything yet, but I would say it's too early to tell. Cinemax traditionally has not done a ton of originals, and picks them up sparsely -- as you say, it's been two years since a new announcement, and that predates Warrior or Jett even premiering (or Warrior's renewal). I do think AT&T just hasn't figured out what they want to do with Cinemax yet and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these series continue on HBO Max even if Cinemax does go the way of the dodo.

This hemming and hawing doesn't do anyone any good and it's something that's plagued Cinemax from practically the beginning*. Shit or get off the pot ffs.

I'm glad that Netflix has shows which are great for all sorts of demographics.

Most of their non-children shows seem pretty TV-MA-ish and I'm surprised they haven't invested more heavily in, like, TV-PG programming aimed at families (think Lost in Space or When Calls the Heart).

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Don't know where you are, but the second half of the season is where the show really picks up again. Ep 6 especially with Sabrina going ham.
See, this is where you lose me. Like the OP I too got bored (though unlike him, S1 was also not the best to me.)

I'm not wasting five hours of my life anymore to get to the part where shows "pick up again." Either make a good show. Make shorter episodes so that the action isn't buried under elongated monologues. Make (even) shorter "parts". Or just make a good show.

My backlist is way too long for waiting around for shows to get halfway decent again.

This is why I don't get the people complaining about Mando having shorter episodes. All shows that don't have to be a set length for broadcasting purposes should be exactly as long as they need to be. I can count the shows released this year that benefit from 1 hour long episodes on one hand, I bet.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't get the people complaining about Mando having shorter episodes. All shows that don't have to be a set length for broadcasting purposes should be exactly as long as they need to be. I can count the shows released this year that benefit from 1 hour long episodes on one hand, I bet.

💯

Remember when they made a whole second season of one of their shows, aired it overseas, then didn't air it in the US until over a year later?

God what an embarrassment that was

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are complaining about Mandalorian's shorter episodes because the show could really use an extra 10 minutes of actual character development of any sort. Without that (the way the show currently is), it's a pretty shallow/hollow experience that is carried solely on production values, baby yoda memes, and the brand. If they managed to tell slightly more complex stories with real character development in the time frame, no one would be complaining.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Yeah, I'm assuming the same thing about Jett as well. Wish they would make an official announcement, but it was cool while it lasted.

giphy.gif

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
btw in case anyone was wondering if it was actually going to happen, Deutschland 89 is either currently filming or has recently wrapped filming. They take so long in between seasons that a lot of people I think gave up on it, but it's nice to know that the trilogy will be completed after all.

(I still need to watch 86)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Really liking Ozark season 2, not sure why I waited so long, I loved season 1. Continues to be wonderfully bleak, I still love the cast and the "the way to get out of this hole is clearly to keep digging deeper right?" narrative is super compelling to me. I think it came out back in the "Netflix is doomed everything is bad lol" phase the internet went through earlier this year and I got caught up in it unintentionally? I should stay off the internet is what I'm saying /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.