• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It would be smart to kill the DC Universe as a separate service, just put it as a label inside the new thing while moving Titans, Doom Patrol and Young Justice.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
DC Universe should be specifically comics only (and cheaper), put the film and TV content in WB's service, give you a $1 off if you want to bundle. Done.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Has DCU picked up anything since S2 of Titans (which was before the S1 premiere, IIRC)? Anyway, I can't say I'm feeling optimistic about Doom Patrol

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jun-10.MoN_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Created and written by Rodes Fishburne (Blood & Oil), Paradise Lost is about a psychiatrist (Regan) who moves with her family from California to her husband's (Hartnett) hometown in Mississippi only to uncover shameful secrets that irrevocably change the lives of everyone involved.

Fishburne will executive produce and co-showrun. Arika Lisanne Mittman (Dexter) also serves as writer and executive producer/co-showrunner, The pilot episode will be directed by John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side) who executive produces alongside David Kanter, Jeff Okin and Romeo Tirone. Production is slated to begin shortly in Baton Rouge.
They are still trying to get Spectrum Originals to be a thing I guess... have they even fixed the massive discoverability for L.A.'s Finest issue yet?

Disney+ today announced a reboot of its classic animated series Chip 'n' Dale is in production and set for release as a Disney+ original series. The streaming service also shared a first look at the logo for the anticipated upcoming original series Monsters At Work, set for premiere in 2020. The news was revealed today at Annecy International Animated Film Festival in Annecy, France.

Chip 'n' Dale, starring the world's most famous chipmunk duo, combines a traditional style of animation with contemporary, comedic narratives. The series is developed by Disney's London-based animation team in collaboration with Xilam Animation in Paris. The series will be fully produced by Xilam, the award-winning independent production studio behind hits such as Paprika and Mr. Magoo.

The 39 x seven-minute episodes will feature the lovable chipmunk troublemakers in a non-verbal, classic style comedy, following the ups and downs of two little creatures living life in the big city. Jean Cayrol directs and series is produced by Marc du Pontavice. See first-look image above.
Monsters At Work stars Ben Feldman as Tylor Tuskmon, with original Monsters, Inc. voices Billy Crystal and John Goodman returning as Mike and Sulley.

Inspired by Disney and Pixar's Oscar-winning feature film, the series picks up six months after the original movie's story, with the Monsters, Inc. power plant now harvesting the laughter of children to fuel the city of Monstropolis – thanks to Mike and Sulley's discovery that laughter generates ten times more energy than screams. Tylor Tuskmon is an eager and talented young mechanic on the Monsters, Inc. Facilities Team (MIFT) who dreams of working his way up to the factory Laugh Floor to become a jokester alongside his idols Mike and Sulley.

The series was developed and is executive produced by Disney animation veteran Bobs Gannaway (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Planes: Fire & Rescue) with Ferrell Barron (Planes: Fire & Rescue) serving as producer.

DCU is good, the ATT acquisition was a mistake
It's an extremely niche service which can't support multiple expensive original creations. Like you can't blame AT&T for all of it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I had a plan to wait until the end of the year and subscribe to DCU for a month or two and just binge everything. I was really hyped for Young Justice returning, but who knows now. You would think they wouldn't cancel the shows and just fold them into the new WB service.

I'm still curious about the Harley Quinn animated show.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using someone's HBO credentials and didn't realize how many shows on their platform that I might like to watch. I had just thought of watching Veep and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Over the past week or so I have watched the full series for Veep after starting off on Amazon. Really enjoyed the series.

Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jun-10.MoN_.png
Not surprised at The Code. It looked awful. I don't think it would be doing too hot even if it wasn't surrounded by re-runs.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not surprised at The Code. It looked awful. I don't think it would be doing too hot even if it wasn't surrounded by re-runs.
I was turned away not just because "procedural" but also because of the image they use to sell it. There's a giant flag, people in uniform, all carefully positioned to look like they're striding forwards, yes we get it, you're patriotic, we get it, could you be any more heavy handed? I'm not in the least surprised to see that age demo in the table above.

MV5BMGY5NzE4NmItYWUwNy00OGRiLTk5ZjYtZGZmYjQ3NmI0ZGNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMDM2ODc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I was turned away not just because "procedural" but also because of the image they use to sell it. There's a giant flag, people in uniform, all carefully positioned to look like they're striding forwards, yes we get it, you're patriotic, we get it, could you be any more heavy handed? I'm not in the least surprised to see that age demo in the table above.

MV5BMGY5NzE4NmItYWUwNy00OGRiLTk5ZjYtZGZmYjQ3NmI0ZGNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMDM2ODc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
I hadn't seen that image previously. The creators must have been going for that audience specifically. I'm suddenly reminded of the show JAG now

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

They are still trying to get Spectrum Originals to be a thing I guess... have they even fixed the massive discoverability for L.A.'s Finest issue yet?

It's an extremely niche service which can't support multiple expensive original creations. Like you can't blame AT&T for all of it.
Except there's nothing to suggest that it can't support multiple expensive original creation since that budget story about Swamp Thing was false.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Except there's nothing to suggest that it can't support multiple expensive original creation since that budget story about Swamp Thing was false.
We've had precisely 0 numbers from Warner on how it's doing.
And this from today in Variety:
At this time, the future of WarnerMedia's DC Universe is unclear. The recently launched online hub for original DC programming, comics and news has yet to make a significant footprint, and its continued existence is something of a peculiarity as AT&T extinguishes WarnerMedia's niche streaming products, such as FilmStruck, one by one in the wake of last year's merger with Time Warner.

The abrupt cancellation of "Swamp Thing" has raised eyebrows. Live-action "Titans" had previously been renewed, the well-received "Doom Patrol" is awaiting word on a second-season pickup and the animated "Harley Quinn" series is supposed to launch this year. But no plans for more original content have been made public since "Stargirl" was announced in July 2018, two months prior to DCU's launch.
That's not a sign of a thriving platform capable of supporting multiple expensive shows.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The Pale Horse will be the next story from the legendary author given the TV treatment by the BBC and Amazon, following last year's Ordeal by Innocence and The ABC Murders (starring John Malkovich as the famed Belgian detective Hercule Poirot). In 2017, Amazon signed a multi-year deal with Agatha Christie Limited, which manages the literary and media rights to the late English crime novelist's works.

First published in 1961, The Pale Horse is again being produced by U.K. banner Mammoth Screen, (Ordeal by Innocence, Poldark, Victoria), with the BAFTA-nominated writer Sarah Phelps (Ordeal by Innocence, The ABC Murders, Witness for the Prosecution) returning to adapt.
When a mysterious list of names is found in the shoe of a dead woman, one of those named, Mark Easterbrook, begins an investigation into how and why his name came to be there. He is drawn to The Pale Horse, the home of a trio of rumoured witches in the tiny village of Much Deeping. Word has it that the witches can do away with wealthy relatives using the dark arts alone, but as the bodies mount up, Mark is certain there has to be a rational explanation. And who could possibly want him dead?

"Written in 1961, against the backdrop of the Eichmann Trial, the escalation of the Cold War and Vietnam, The Pale Horse is a shivery, paranoid story about superstition, love gone wrong, guilt and grief," said Phelps. "It's about what we're capable of when we're desperate and what we believe when all the lights go out and we're alone in the dark."
The two-part drama will be directed by Leonora Lonsdale (Beast) and produced by Ado Yoshizaki Cassuto (City of Tiny Lights) and is a Mammoth Screen and Agatha Christie Limited drama for BBC One
These have been uniformly excellent so great to have more coming.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using someone's HBO credentials and didn't realize how many shows on their platform that I might like to watch. I had just thought of watching Veep and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I was the same. Subscribed for the free month because I got sucked in on the hype for GOTS3E8, and as I was checking the offerings and was like "I want to watch this, that, those, these" for the couple of minutes it took to browse through the offerings.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
they keep renewing things that were a one shot deal, like Love Death and Robots and this. Not complaining, just weird. Especially since they're canceling things that are actual series like Santa Clarita Diet.
In this case though, Natasha Lyonne talked a lot in interviews a few months ago that they planned up front for having multiple seasons. So I'm optimistic.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This Landgraf profile for Variety is rather good:
"John, I wouldn't call him an amusement park kind of guy," Saftler says. "But what I would say is that John's incredibly creative and an innovator. The best part of an amusement park is storytelling. John was able to see how technology was utilized, how creativity was utilized, how storytelling was utilized to take you out of your reality and put you into this reality. He was like, 'The Walt Disney Co. is where we want to be.'"

That's good, because Disney is where Landgraf and FX — an exec and a company entwined for 15 years — are now housed. When Disney's $71 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox was finalized in March, the Burbank entertainment giant inherited a trove of brands and intellectual property with which it hopes to propel ambitions for a growing direct-to-consumer home entertainment business. Among the prize jewels in that cache is FX.
Iger has indicated that of all the Fox brands Disney has acquired, FX is one of the likeliest to benefit from increased resources. In turn, the network is expected to grow its volume of shows while maintaining quality.

That increase is not meant to merely program a cable channel. It's an investment in a streaming future.
The question the exec now faces is whether the process he created for doing his job at FX can work in the wonderful world of Disney.

When Landgraf was young, his parents worked for a Baptist evangelist named Mel Dibble. His father holds a master's in divinity and a PhD in marriage and family counseling. His mother's graduate degree is in social work. He had an itinerant childhood, with stops in Southern California; Scottsdale, Ariz.; New Jersey; and Oakland. His parents, who divorced when he was 11, exposed him early to media and culture. An only child, he recalls going with his father to see "Z," "Wait Until Dark" and "The French Connection" in theaters "probably long before I should have." In New Jersey, his mother would take him into New York, and they waited in line together in Times Square for half-price theater tickets. Young Landgraf sang in a barbershop quartet and learned to play jazz flute.
And it includes this hilarious titbit on the state of American Crime Story:
Murphy says that he remains "very passionate" about "Pose" and that he would like "Horror Story" to continue for as long as FX wants it. He notes that four new seasons of "Crime Story" are in development, and that he expects one of those (he's not sure which) to start shooting this year.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Jude Law is set to star in HBO and Sky drama The Third Day. The Young Pope star is to front the series, which is produced by Sky Studios and Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment. The show is being written by Utopia writer Dennis Kelly and is produced in association with theatre company Punchdrunk International.
First new show from him since Utopia!
The Third Day is the latest co-production between Sky and HBO following the success of Chernobyl and forthcoming Helen Mirren-fronted period drama Catherine The Great. In the series, Law plays Sam, who after being drawn to a mysterious Island off the British Coast, is thrown into the unusual world of its secretive inhabitants. Isolated from the mainland, the rituals of the island begin to overwhelm him, and he is confronted by a trauma from his past. As the line between reality and fantasy blurs, Sam finds himself immersed in an emotional quest which puts him at odds with the islanders and begins to threaten their way of life.
Oh hey look, they remembered what co-pros are. I take full credit for this.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I was the same. Subscribed for the free month because I got sucked in on the hype for GOTS3E8, and as I was checking the offerings and was like "I want to watch this, that, those, these" for the couple of minutes it took to browse through the offerings.
Haha I still haven't finished scouring the site for all the shows. Right now I'm gonna try to stick to my short list before I get too overwhelmed when searching for more stuff

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Blood & Treasure not looking too hot.

Haven't even started it yet.

Also I watch the Press Your Luck reboot, it was fine. The Whammies were great. They had references to the Bachelor and Oprah lol.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Chernobyl delayed ratings from HBO:
To be specific, having seen an almost uninterrupted viewership climb from its May 6 debut to its soul crushing June 3 finale, the widely acclaimed Craig Mazin-created historical drama has emerged with a cumulative audience of 8 million so far.

That's better than the 7.3 million cumulative viewership that the Amy Adams-led Sharp Objects had over its eight-episode run last summer. While still out of the zone of the 8.5 million that the seven episodes of the first season of Big Little Lies snared in early 2017, Chernobyl is now poised right behind and may even soon surpass the 8.1 million cumulative audience of the eight-episode third season of True Detective.

And remember, all those high profile shows to which comparisons are being made air on TV's big night of Sundays.

Out weekly, the five episodes of Chernobyl were on HBO's relatively new expansion territory of Mondays which was previous a dumping ground for toxic shows. In that context, looking at the results of the Kary Antholis-backed Chernobyl will surely impress the brass at WarnerMedia, who are marching the once Richard Plepler-run premium cabler into more programming over more nights to bulk up inventory for future streaming services.

What might really impress John Stankey and the AT&T crowd is that blast from the past Chernobyl and its vision of the dying days of the USSR has deeply planted its flag in the present and future way people watch the small screen in 2019.

When you break down the numbers of Chernobyl's dedicated viewership, it's 35% linear, 13% OD and a massive 52% from HBO Go, HBO Now and other OTT platforms. That last number is the Ace in hand for HBO and a record breaker too. No other HBO series has ever topped 50% in its digital contribution. As you would expect, the previous record holder was Game of Thrones but that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss EP'd Emmy winning blockbuster never made it over 46%, even during its recent eighth and final season.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I guess this was known through various industry production sources, but I missed the news, and I don't think any casting has even been announced. Jeff Lemire shared in his newsletter that the Hulu pilot based on his Sweet Tooth comics has been shot. I absolutely adore that series, and Jim Mickle did a fantastic job with the Hap & Leonard series, so I'm super intrigued to see what happens with this.
This one is tough to write because the most exciting thing going on this past month was my recent trip to New Zealand to the set of the Sweet Tooth TV pilot, and I cannot say ANYTHING about that, though I REALLY wish I could. In short, an amazing experience and Gus and the gang are in good hands. More on that later this year I would imagine. And New Zealand is a gorgeous place too with wonderful people.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Hey, rare footage of Junior actually cool. Too bad it's in grown-ish so it doesn't count.

Turns out it got resolved after all. Still, Luca did have a good reason for being upset over Zoey.

Status
Not open for further replies.