• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I honestly can't think of any Netflix shows I'd be sad got cancelled other than I dunno... Queer Eye? And even that's just a comfort show to eat dinner to.

lucky300

Aug 9, 2018
13 Reasons Why "cancelled"

I have a lot of conflicted feelings about this show, but I'm glad that they are announcing it ending ahead of time, so hopefully it will have a definitive conclusion.

Well that's interesting:

Looks like CBS is taking cues from the original in the Hope's that young people will help it catch on.
This is very surprising, especially considering those ratings.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
'Luther,' 'Doctor Who,' U.K. 'Office' Libraries Head to HBO Max in BBC Deal
HBO Max is going across the pond — and the universe — for its latest acquisition.

The WarnerMedia streaming platform has picked up streaming rights to Doctor Who and other British series as part of a long-term deal with BBC Studios. All 11 seasons of the beloved sci-fi show's 21st century iteration will be available on HBO Max when it launches in spring 2020. Future seasons will also stream exclusively on HBO Max after their initial run on BBC America.

"Doctor Who is one of television's all-time, most beloved series, on both sides of the pond, and we are happy to be the exclusive streaming stewards for this BBC gem," said Kevin Reilly, chief content officer of HBO Max and president of TNT, TBS, and TruTV. "[It's] another series to further define the high-quality content experience consumers can expect from HBO Max."

HBO Max's deal with BBC Studios also includes streaming rights for the British version of The Office, dramas Luther and The Honorable Woman and unscripted stalwart Top Gear. In all, more than 700 episodes of BBC shows will be available on HBO Max when it debuts.

"As any Doctor Who fan knows, the iconic TARDIS is bigger on the inside – and it's a good thing because the TARDIS is about to welcome a whole new slew of fans coming to the show through this deal with HBO Max," said Nigel Gaines, interim president of BBC Studios – Americas. "HBO Max's ambitious content lineup is the perfect complement to the Doctor Who global franchise, in addition to some of our most award-winning and game-changing U.K. dramas and comedies."

The BBC shows will be part of an anticipated 10,000 hours of programming at launch, including Friends — for which WarnerMedia outbid Netflix to become its streaming home — Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Pretty Little Liars, along with library content from Warner Bros., New Line, HBO, TNT, TBS, TruTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, The CW and TCM.

Original series planned for HBO Max include a Gossip Girl update; modern Greek mythology drama Circe; noir drama Tokyo Vice, starring Ansel Elgort; Dune: The Sisterhood from director Denis Villeneuve; Kaley Couco starrer The Flight Attendant; rom-com anthology Love Life, starring Anna Kendrick; drama Station Eleven and dark comedy Made for Love, both from showrunner Patrick Somerville; and a Gremlins animated series. Season two of Doom Patrol will also debut simultaneously on HBO Max and original home DC Universe.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Ratings for the 2020 Democrat Debate Night 4 on CNN are in. It was much better than last night, at a total of 10.7 million viewers, but still not nearly as good as the June 26-27 debates, where it got a little over 18 million.

Side note: Does Deadline have a new article writer or something? I had to cut so much crap out just to get to the numbers. It's like they were trying to find synonyms for every proper noun.

Deadline

[CNN] snared 10.7 million viewers for the second night of the second round of contenders hoping to be the 46th President of the United States. When you add in CNN en Español, that total rises to 10.8 million, according to Nielsen.

Last night's CNN-hosted debate took a 41% drop from the June 27 second night of the first Democratic debates simulcast on NBC, MSNBC, and Telemundo.

Having almost nowhere to go but up after Tuesday's numbers, last night's Democratic debate is now the second most watched for the party on the Jeff Zucker-run station. The 3.1 million live starts that CNN had on its various streaming platforms on Wednesday is also a second place title holder.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually did watch last nights since I had nothing else to do while paiting nails.

Hated the CNN format, why they always cut them off as theyre answering questions?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I would be sad if Netflix cancelled:

Grace and Frankie (they can't keep the show going forever but one can wish...)

GLOW (they still have a lot of material left to explore)

Love, Death, & Robots (just because I want more adult animation from the west that isn't like Family Guy/South Park shit)

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The above article also says that Hulu is now pushing for projects from outside studios to become co-productions with ABC Studios -

Meanwhile, Hulu underwent an ownership change following Disney's acquisition of Fox assets as Disney became a majority owner of the streamer in March and took full operational control in May. One of the changes brought in by the new Hulu owners was a push for outside series to become co-productions with Disney.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
There's a follow up tweet saying that the CBS deal is only for Nancy Drew and with future content it's a "possibility".

Probability, imo. If CBS really wants to make All Access a major player in the streaming world, it makes sense for them to consolidate all their shows on to one service (and eventually merge AA with Showtime), even if it means losing out on some Netflix money in the short term.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The CW app and website will still have all the shows too, and keep the most recent five episodes. It's free too. It does require keeping up, of course, if you want to watch all of the shows, but it's better than this split up.

True! People acting like the streaming future is somehow as bad or worse than cable are crazy.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait for Disney to buy everything and charge 49.99 for a super streaming service that has everything.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Who even cares about CBS shows on The CW? There is a reason it only speaks about Nancy Drew, because it is the only new one.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
True! People acting like the streaming future is somehow as bad or worse than cable are crazy.

It's not that streaming is worse, but some of these executives wanting a piece of the pie will not all become the new Netflix or anything. I'll be curious to see how the number of subs are by the end of next year when everything is out.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Well that's interesting:

Looks like CBS is taking cues from the original in the Hope's that young people will help it catch on.

Just to add a touch of Brit perspective on this, I think it makes a lot of sense, as the show was a slow burner, a real grower, in the UK as well. It wasn't until its third year that it really exploded, because it's a show that really relies on the social media impact, the word of mouth spread, etc. You have to think that the UK production company (who is still directly involved) made this clear to CBS and CBS went in knowing to have a chance they'd have to give it at least a couple of years. I think part of the problem (from what I've read, anyway) is that the US one is more polite; just US culture, the niceties are firmer, whereas in the UK version of the show people get territorial and nasty, which obviously makes for good viewing.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Just to add a touch of Brit perspective on this, I think it makes a lot of sense, as the show was a slow burner, a real grower, in the UK as well. It wasn't until its third year that it really exploded, because it's a show that really relies on the social media impact, the word of mouth spread, etc. You have to think that the UK production company (who is still directly involved) made this clear to CBS and CBS went in knowing to have a chance they'd have to give it at least a couple of years. I think part of the problem (from what I've read, anyway) is that the US one is more polite; just US culture, the niceties are firmer, whereas in the UK version of the show people get territorial and nasty, which obviously makes for good viewing.
That's... pretty surprising. I thought most American game shows are competitive compared to their international counterparts (see the Baking Show).

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
That's... pretty surprising. I thought most American game shows are competitive compared to their international counterparts (see the Baking Show).

Love Island isn't competitive in the UK, nobody really gives a shit who wins. What it is is bitchy, in a "I'm not going to win, but I'll Tonya Harding that cow's knee for daring to look at me funny that time so she doesn't either" sort of way. That's what the US version is likely missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.