• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't our lord and saviour PWB kinda say this when she announced series 2? I'm incredibly excited for whatever she does next though.
Yup.
"I decided not to do a second season, absolutely for sure, and I had great pride in my artistic integrity for not coming back," Waller-Bridge said. "And then I had the idea for the second [season] and did that again. And I've now decided that there should absolutely not be a third [season]. I may be surprised again, I don't know. I had doubts all the way through, as I always do, about whether or not it's the right story to tell, but it's something driving it for this character all the time. And I felt driven again by her."

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

idk who can even keep track of these things

Great read, thanks!

Does Westworld really do THAT WELL to make a 9 figure deal make sense?

No but there's a big talent land rush for the Streaming Warz, so anyone who has made even a moderate hit is getting snapped up. (Jonathan Nolan also created Person of Interest, which lasted 5 seasons, in addition to writing a bunch of Christopher Nolan's films, so there's that as well)

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy ink a 9-FIGURE deal with Amazon Studios.

They'll still be working on "WestWorld" Season 3, but who knows after that?
Well, they seem to be making it very clear that they'll still run Westworld if it goes further, which makes it kind of crazy that Amazon is paying them so much.

I would assume they're feeling pretty good about how The Peripheral is shaping up?

I have a hard time imagining these premium overall deals are financially sound. It's just an irrational arms race based on FOMO.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So CBS is making a military courtroom drama called The Code. It makes me wonder why they didn't just reboot JAG. lol

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
In other "Paramount Network' keeps bungling their launch news",

'Younger' Staying Put at TV Land for Season 6

It was going to be paired with two shows on Paramount Network: First Wives Club, which has moved to BET, and Emily in Paris, which has been delayed a year.
News like this makes me kind of happy but maybe that's just cause I like to blame the death of "nobodies" on Paramount and that weird series move.

Paramount seems like a place for networks to dump other shows for syndication money

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
At least there's always Yellowstone!

Given their lofty goals for Paramount Network, you would think they'd have put a little more forethought into planning their programming lineup. Like, after the breakout success of Yellowstone you'd think they'd have tried to fast track something to air alongside it - yet it's now their only scripted show for the whole year at the moment. Uh...

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Galavant is right there Disney. Right there.
And since Crazy Ex Girlfriend is on its way out it won't have any problem snatching up those viewers, which means there could be like 7 people watching it. Come on, let's just do it and be legends.

Hey, I watched both! :(

A Galavant return would be awesome.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Gilligan might also be working on the HBO/Jim Jones thing.
I really wish he'd get on that. It seemed to be a sure thing, and imminent, when it was first announced. I just finished up the 5 parter that Last Podcast on the Left put out for Jonestown a year ago and it was fantastic. It's a fascinating story and has just enough depravity (outside of the totally fucked end to Peoples Temple we all know about) to fit really well with Vince. Jim Jones started out as a guy that, despite always being a bit of a con, did some real good in the community and that sort of light and dark is firmly in Gilligan's wheelhouse
These people are absolutely tasteless and have no idea what makes interesting television
You know Westworld isn't for everyone and I get that. I love the show even I recognize it's faults. Ultimately, though, it's still a well made, fun, decently written show that at times is elevated beyond it's pulpy core. So I don't really get the animosity. Some people just really hate this show

Also, as others said, Jonathan did Person of Interest which is pretty beloved, and all Christopher's best movies were written by Jonathan. So Westworld hate aside they're not really that bad a writing team

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know Westworld isn't for everyone and I get that. I love the show even I recognize it's faults. Ultimately, though, it's still a well made, fun, decently written show that at times is elevated beyond it's pulpy core. So I don't really get the animosity. Some people just really hate this show

Also, as others said, Jonathan did Person of Interest which is pretty beloved, and all Christopher's best movies were written by Jonathan. So Westworld hate aside they're not really that bad a writing team
I think the reason Westworld gets ragged on is how up its own ass it is. It also really plays with the audience in a way that isn't nice. Telling storylines in intentionally confusing ways that are completely unnecessary.

I would definitely say it's a show that thinks it's better than it is. It has that HBO budget, so production-wise of course it looks good and is "Well made", but I would say the writing leaves a lot to be desired. And it has notoriously been plagued with numerous production halts whenever they don't quite know where they want to go next with the story.

Obviously Jonah Nolan has a lot of talent, but paired with his wife rather than his brother (or Greg Plageman)... the results have been less than stellar. I'm not sure what that says about him as a writer or her influence on him as a writer, but it is notable. I think this deal is pretty puzzling. I mean, I get it, but also it seems like way too much for that this particular team has demonstrated they're capable of. But I guess Amazon does have the money to just throw around.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
And it has notoriously been plagued with numerous production halts whenever they don't quite know where they want to go next with the story.
?? I remember beyond the pilot that they had an extended stoppage to "figure it out" but I haven't heard of any other delays beyond normal ones post that first episode/year. Certainly nothing that was attributed to plotting issues. In fact in several interviews they've said they have had the entire series plotted out from start to finish almost since day one. Obviously I take that sort of stuff with a grain of salt but despite all the convoluted twists and turns for their own sake I get the impression that, with regards to overall arc, they do know where they want the show to finish and generally how they want it to get there.

All that said, I get it. When I wrote well made I meant more than just the budget and "looks" but do I agree that they seem to feel a need to spice up the show with pseudointellectual malarkey that's just not necessary. I think at it's core it's a reasonably well written show but the problem is they add in a bunch of unnecessary junk sometimes that spoils the Goodwill. You could argue that alone makes the show not well written and I'd understand but I'm only trying to say I think the vitriol aimed at the show sometimes is a bit overwrought.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Era's TV show of the year returns:

Killing Eve Season 2 |OT| If looks could kill...

also;
uyI7CbD.png

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?? I remember beyond the pilot that they had an extended stoppage to "figure it out" but I haven't heard of any other delays beyond normal ones post that first episode/year. Certainly nothing that was attributed to plotting issues. In fact in several interviews they've said they have had the entire series plotted out from start to finish almost since day one. Obviously I take that sort of stuff with a grain of salt but despite all the convoluted twists and turns for their own sake I get the impression that, with regards to overall arc, they do know where they want the show to finish and generally how they want it to get there.
Yeah the bold is definitely not true.

They had production stops during the pilot (and some of the original pilot became episode two), and they also had a massive production stop around 6/7 to figure out the rest of the season (this is when the Bernard "twist" happened -- it wasn't planned originally). They also only had a vague idea of what season two would be (Dolores' "father" being what he ended up being, for example, was not pre-planned. It was a plan change due to the positive reception to the actor), and then in the middle of Season two they had another production stop because they again didn't know where they were going, and Damon Lindelof was brought in to help fix it (he's also the reason for the standout Native American focused episode).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings. Fresh Off the Boat ticked up a little for its special 100th episode. The series finale of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was in line with how well the final season has been doing:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-05.FRI_.png

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the bold is definitely not true.

They had production stops during the pilot (and some of the original pilot became episode two), and they also had a massive production stop around 6/7 to figure out the rest of the season (this is when the Bernard "twist" happened -- it wasn't planned originally). They also only had a vague idea of what season two would be (Dolores' "father" being what he ended up being, for example, was not pre-planned. It was a plan change due to the positive reception to the actor), and then in the middle of Season two they had another production stop because they again didn't know where they were going, and Damon Lindelof was brought in to help fix it (he's also the reason for the standout Native American focused episode).
What the hell. I specifically remember reading more than one article about them having a plan. Wasn't there some big thing they made about having a big board with the whole series planned out or something?

Do you mind if I ask where you got the information about season two? I looked up production issues and could only find the pilot/season one bit which is common knowledge and them shutting down for a couple months towards the tail end of season one filming. Everything in season two was wildfires or injuries on set. If you'd lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it as I'm very curious now

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Has Fresh Off the Boat been renewed yet? Feels like most shows have really early on, this year.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell. I specifically remember reading more than one article about them having a plan. Wasn't there some big thing they made about having a big board with the whole series planned out or something?

Do you mind if I ask where you got the information about season two? I looked up production issues and could only find the pilot/season one bit which is common knowledge and them shutting down for a couple months towards the tail end of season one filming. Everything in season two was wildfires or injuries on set. If you'd lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it as I'm very curious now
Second hand info from people involved with the show. It's not the kind of thing you would find online. Feel free to not believe me if you want.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Second hand info from people involved with the show. It's not the kind of thing you would find online. Feel free to not believe me if you want.
No I actually do. I'll admit to being skeptical upon reading your first post but your second seemed pretty specific. I thought maybe there were some page six type articles that had mentioned the stuff with Damon etc so I was just curious.

Despite it feeling to me like they had a general plan I could certainly see them winging it based on some of the scattershot plot issues but I continue to enjoy the show and I'm always going to be lined up for sci-fi even when it's not that good because we have such a small selection on television. Hopefully soon, with Amazon stepping up to the plate with a wealth of great properties, I'll be able to pick only the best material out there

Thanks for the insight

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I actually do. I'll admit to being skeptical upon reading your first post but your second seemed pretty specific. I thought maybe there were some page six type articles that had mentioned the stuff with Damon etc so I was just curious.

Despite it feeling to me like they had a general plan I could certainly see them winging it based on some of the scattershot plot issues but I continue to enjoy the show and I'm always going to be lined up for sci-fi even when it's not that good because we have such a small selection on television. Hopefully soon, with Amazon stepping up to the plate with a wealth of great properties, I'll be able to pick only the best material out there

Thanks for the insight
HBO and Amazon have a shit-load of big sci-fi stuff coming up. Apple and Netflix have a few as well. The next 2-3 years are going to be a very good time to be a sci-fi fan imo.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
HBO and Amazon have a shit-load of big sci-fi stuff coming up. Apple and Netflix have a few as well. The next 2-3 years are going to be a very good time to be a sci-fi fan imo.
No doubt! I'm beyond excited. I've tempered my expectations quite a bit for Apple's streaming though. In the wake of their seeming family friendly push as well the behind the scenes shit show we've been hearing about I'm losing some faith. I certainly won't rule out a show simply because it's family friendly but some of the properties and creators they've picked up just don't fit that mold at all. I'm actually hoping they'll pivot post launch. I'd imagine the money's better in offering a diverse catalogue

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt! I'm beyond excited. I've tempered my expectations quite a bit for Apple's streaming though. In the wake of their seeming family friendly push as well the behind the scenes shit show we've been hearing about I'm losing some faith. I certainly won't rule out a show simply because it's family friendly but some of the properties and creators they've picked up just don't fit that mold at all. I'm actually hoping they'll pivot post launch. I'd imagine the money's better in offering a diverse catalogue
Completely agree with you. I've heard though, at minimum, that For All Mankind, the Ronald Moore show, has turned out well.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
THR: 'The Walking Dead': Third Series Officially a Go at AMC
On Monday, AMC formally announced that it has picked up what is now the third series in the zombie drama's larger world with a 10-episode order for an untitled drama co-created by Gimple and longtime flagship writer Matt Negrete. The latter, who has been a writer and producer on The Walking Dead for the past five seasons, will serve as showrunner. Coincidentally, Negrete and Gimple collaborated on the season nine episode ("What Comes After") that served as the last one for series star Andrew Lincoln, who will reprise his role as embattled former sheriff Rick Grimes in three TV movies for AMC. It's unclear if the new spinoff will be connected to those movies. It's unclear if any characters from either The Walking Dead or spinoff Fear the Walking Dead will have a role in the third series. Stars and fan favorites Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Melissa McBride (Carol) have "franchise deals" that allow them to move freely between all corners of the universe, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.