• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
As the foundational link between Italy's lurid thrillers and the modern slasher, Bob Clark's 1974 classic Black Christmas understands the importance of characters better than most of the subgenre it would birth. Stripping the giallo of its gloss, the horror invading relatable slice-of-life drama, the film hinges its slasher terror on the tragedy of everyday lives cut short.

Did Black Christmas need a remake? Did its unknown murderous stalker need an elaborate history and motivation? Did 1970s horror need an update of 2000s gore and vapid characters? Absolutely not. And yet...Glen Morgan's Black Christmas was entertaining as hell. And also mean, weird, and bloody as hell, like to an extent that most other '00s horror remakes don't come close to touching. Black Christmas '06 isn't Bob Clark's holiday horror. It's an entirely different beast.

YbF9DV3.jpg

While Rob Zombie's Halloween remake (released a year later) demystified Michael Myers and drowned Carpenter's classic in trashy sleaze, Morgan's reimagining worked surprisingly well for me. This is Zombie-esque grotesque couched in a demented whimsy that directly recalls the bizarro Psycho riff of Morgan's Willard. The framework is your stereotypical '00s horror, the kind that replaces the original's relatable and humanized sorority sisters with unlikable paper-thin cutouts who seem to actively abhor each other. The only saving grace with this cast lies in its who's-who of that decade's horror: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Katie Cassidy, Michelle Trachtenberg, and more.

Around that bland but competent core, Morgan wraps layer after layer of genre strengths. A deranged garish palette from the same production designer and art director as Trick R Treat, gifting Black Christmas with a similar reverence for horror-ified holiday iconography. A killer with a nightmare backstory that could have been ripped from a batshit '80s slasher, as gleefully bizarrely twisted as a Burton campfire tale. Buckets of practical gore and shockingly mean-spirited kills and such an abundance of nasty eye trauma that Fulci would be proud. A ripping pace that makes the lack of characterization sting less because there's always another creative Christmas-themed set-piece around the corner.

NmTHuJp.jpg

The end result was the best kind of Xmas gift: a complete surprise. I totally get why people could detest this remake. I love the original, its terrifying dread, its character-driven bridge between giallo and slasher. But damn, Black Christmas '06 was a blood-soaked blast once I accepted that this wasn't trying to be the original. 1974 and 2006 offer vastly distinct yet equally enjoyable flavors of its premise: the former classy and subdued, the latter as if Argento and Fulci collabed on an episode of Tales From the Crypt

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Fantastic post, OP. I am definitely checking this out now. I haven't seen the original, but I enjoy watching films and their remakes to compare them.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Black Xmas is a fantastic spin on the original film. I absolutely love rewatching it every year.

The flashback sequences work well. The dark humor is spot on. And the cast work really well together. It's a movie I've come to appreciate more each year. It was right in the middle of the remake book that was hitting the horror genre & it stood out for being stylish in the face of grit & grime that took hold. I love the way the movie is shot & lit. It feels like Christmas through & through.

The cookie scene is still one of the best & most sickening moments.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Black Xmas is a fantastic spin on the original film. I absolutely love rewatching it every year.

The flashback sequences work well. The dark humor is spot on. And the cast work really well together. It's a movie I've come to appreciate more each year. It was right in the middle of the remake book that was hitting the horror genre & it stood out for being stylish in the face of grit & grime that took hold. I love the way the movie is shot & lit. It feels like Christmas through & through.

The cookie scene is still one of the best & most sickening moments.
I couldn't believe the movie was going there. My jaw dropped

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the second remake of Black Christmas that came out last year (where the men literally bleed toxic masculinity) made me appreciate the 2006 version even more. And I initially hated it back then.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Just watched the original on Saturday. I bet it was creepy back in tbe 70s when it came out. The call is coming from inside the house aspect was neat cause growing up that was a common horror trope of stories we used to tell each other on sleep overs.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the second remake of Black Christmas that came out last year (where the men literally bleed toxic masculinity) made me appreciate the 2006 version even more. And I initially hated it back then.
That bad? And that might have been topped by La Revolution having its elite literally bleed blue blood

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
is the movie worth it if you dislike the original? I thought that movie was 90 % filler, with only the beginning and end having some suspense and tension.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
is the movie worth it if you dislike the original? I thought that movie was 90 % filler, with only the beginning and end having some suspense and tension.
Do you like giallo, Fulci's love of destroying eyeballs, batshit slashers, and films that are willing to indulge in weird, then this might work for you better than the original

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically a Fulci film yeah. Far more interesting visually than the slew of remakes coming out around the same time.