• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Defiance-Promotional-Morelok-F.jpg

I originally got a copy of Soul Reaver in my younger years back in the olden days of the Playstation, but the fartherest I made it into the game was reaching the vortex of souls and...stopping. I dunno, maybe my younger self was too spooked or confused on how to progress, despite Raziel and the Elder God giving hints on where to progress next.
However those first 15 or so minutes of the game, and especially it's opening cinematic stuck with me since then.

Real talk: That cgi intro scared me for the longest time since I watched it as a kid, mainly Kain ripping off Raziel's wings. That shit is like ripping out one's spine and it grossed me out that I avoid watching that scene in any videos focused on the series (heck I skipped it during this playthrough :V).

Anyways, fast forward 20 years later, using up some fan patches, I felt...ya whatevs, my backlog may be 2000 games big, and this is part of my backlog, I'm in the mood.

All in all it was a really interesting game; puzzles, platforming and secrets requiring the use of the powers you gain from slaying the demons you've slain. The decaying world of Nosgoth was something I hadn't fully grasped as a young lad, nor how the 2 realms were designed as a primary gameplay mechanic, even though it is among the VERY first things that the game teaches you.
Got stuck and can't progress? Switch to the other realm and look around for a path.
Back to the decaying Nosgoth, now that I've fully gotten an understanding of the series' themes, Raziel awakening in a dying world and his trek through Nosgoth as well as his later exploits in the later games, makes the game's setting much more understandable.
Granted the characters DO comment on how badly things have become after the centuries of Kain's rule, but I guess I hadn't fully grasped it due to...well the game is visually a product of its time but it still evokes a good atmosphere of a gothic and dying world.

Moving onto the gameplay, i find the platforming decent even if it is annoying at times as their sections on paper are sensible and fine, but the overall control of Raziel becomes a major impact. Puzzles were nice too, and I don't mind the big blocks being used for puzzles, although the fact that Raziel can lift one cube only as high as another cube, but nothing shorter is hella weird.
I didn't go for all secret items and upgrades this time around but will attempt that in a future playthrough.
I'd say the really weak part of the game is the combat, especially when the Reaver you obtain can only manifest at full health in material realm being the more convenient way of killing things in this game. Like seriously, picking up any of the impaling weapons feels like having picked up a knife in Final Fight, with the Reaver giving you the safe distance of the pipe :V The camera doesn't help much in this case either. Thankfully, I think the devs might've been aware of the combat, so generally most combat allows you to get back to material realm from a nearby aura, but overall the less of it the better for me. I'm certain you can just skip past any enemies you find and focus on most of the puzzles and platforming, although the Cathedral had it worse with a puzzle room having enemies respawn in them =_=
Bosses were...hilariously easier than I anticipated and fall under the category of 'puzzle boss' ala in them Legend of Zelda games. Also Kain getting KOed in 3 hits? Ah well, not like a human could last 1 second against him :V I do like that they give you powers that can help in finding secrets as well as progression though the very final power you obtain was...hardly noticable outside of its necessity to progress through the final dungeon or two.

Backtracking can be a chore sometimes when you want to continue from where you left off or going back to get some secrets with your new powers. For the most part warp portals are placed at convenient places that can let you access certain locations easier, although with the game's base speed being a product of its time, it can feel a big of a slog sometimes.

All in all the game was a nice experience, though it just now occurs to me how 'green' hued this game becomes the farther I played :V I liked how the areas are connected to each other, which is made easier to navigate through thanks to the warp portals. I have however noticed some curiosities:
The human citadel is leftover from a cut dungeon that Raziel would've progressed through, whereas the Cathedral felt like it was the longest dungeon in the game to get through. I recall reading in magazines and on the internet how Soul Reaver 2 continues the plot, which makes more sense now with knowing what got cut from the game, along with the rather ho hum ending :P
Speaking of which I still have my PS2 copy of Soul Reaver 2 >=3 Gonna play through Blood Omen some time this year too (Vae Victis!)

Course I can't talk about this game without mentioning its spectacular voice acting and great writing. Tony Jay really left an impression with his performance, and I had the pleasure of watching a few eps. of ReBoot at the time too so him as Megabyte remains among his best performances.
Amy Hemming should really get back to doing fantasy centric stories, she really excelled in them as seen with this game.

In closing, I'll drop some images along with my fav. track in the game

Wait, now that I think about, Raziel holding out his cape to suck in souls is...memorable and also funny because of how his lower jaw is, at best dislocated and also that scarf being elastic just adds to the funniness of it.

Legacy_of_Kain-Soul_Reaver_(PC)_65.gif
Legacy_of_Kain-Soul_Reaver_PC_42.gif

Raziel_on_rock.jpg
Coolcollage.jpg

BTW Kain and Raziel both look badass to me; they were among my first signature art when I started posting on forums back in the 2000s

Fanart-Akiman-Raziel.jpg

^Apparently this is by Akiman? Would really need a source on that....

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Loved this one on Dreamcast! Really good... The music, the acting, the story, the atmosphere, the architecture... Perhaps the control mechanics were a bit clunky, but it was still very manageable.

Perhaps the DC version was the best one? I remember reading something about that. I remember that when I tried it on PC it seemed to look somewhat worse.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I miss this series so much, but I'll still cherish the time I had with it.

Amazing world-building, fascinating lore, great music, great voice acting, great style.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite series ever. I still remember the first time I saw my cousin playing Soul Reaver and I was instantly hooked with the atmosphere, the dialog, the lore, the world, the characters, the voice acting. This game was a generation ahead in storytelling.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Loved this one on Dreamcast! Really good... The music, the acting, the story, the atmosphere, the architecture... Perhaps the control mechanics were a bit clunky, but it was still very manageable.

Perhaps the DC version was the best one? I remember reading something about that. I remember that when I tried it on PC it seemed to look somewhat worse.
Yes DC version is 60 FPS. PC ver. with patches runs decently overall, but DC i def. the more smoother version.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my GOATs. I remember reading all the magazines, getting hyped for this game. The previews had all these details about what to expect, enemies and forges. It was awesome.

We got a game that was cut down a lot but still awesome.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This series is in desperate need of a reboot. So much great material lost in time.
Soul Reaver 2 is so much more than the original but then they drop the ball with Defiance just being a Devil May Cry clone (though the story is still good).

i really wish they were able to finish the story but oh well...I'll just make up my own ending.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
One of my favourite games of all time, everything works for me, the lore, the atmosphere, the world. Raziel is so badass, I think in terms of design, he is my favourite videogame character. I would love to see a remaster and more games in the series

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly ambitious game for the PS1.

I don't know how they got that game running on it.

I don't know if I would want to go back to it today but it was very memorable.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Incredibly ambitious game for the PS1.

I don't know how they got that game running on it.
Thank Elder God for DF Retro

I don't know if I would want to go back to it today but it was very memorable.
Camera and combat are the main deterrent I'd say :/
If you are OK with emulators, you can use save states to get past the more annoying parts of the game ;P

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be okay with a simple remaster with modern movement and camera controls. I've got the game, but it's hard getting the PC version running right, and the PS1 version through emulation is pretty rough when you're used to how more modern games work.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Great thread, glad you finally got around to this classic.

Blood Omen remains my personal favourite, but Soul Reaver holds up pretty well for a 3D PS1 game and was ahead of its time in so many ways.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I was floored by the cameo of this game in a certain ps5 title.

series needs to be con tinier in a grand way.

though I'd settle for a remake of blood omen one. It's fun, but a bit rough to play these days.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How did I not see this thread before? Great work OP. I still linger for the day when the series will return.
Until then... I'll cherish the memories. It's one of my favourite fantasy settings and I love it for how imaginative it is. It looks very basic from the outside but is something really unique.